What are the chances of Fall Cruises being suspended?

When will cruise ships sail again, not any time soon, by that I mean in the next 6 months and here is why

1) No vaccine will be around with enough statistics to prove efficacy 

2) Few countries in the next 6 months will accept a cruise of thousands of visitors that have been mingling in close proximity with opprtunity to give each other a known virus that kills with no treatment

Lots of press about re-opening, a few states in the US and countries.  What we will see is similar to what happened in China, Taiwan, Singapore a increase in cases and of course the increase in deaths.  This will force each country to continue some measure of mitigation.  Those mitigation most certainly will be travel restrictions, gathering restrictions and cruising by definition is bunch of people from all across the world traveling and gathering, wont' be anytime soon, sadly.   Hopefully by 2022 when I see myself cruising it will be there for me, LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Again, what is the benefit to the country?

If they can, and do, require everyone in their country to be vaccinated, then who cares if you come and are not?   You are unlikely to infect anyone if you have it.  Basics of herd immunity.

I can see, in the near term, proof of vaccination eliminating the current quarantine requirements that many countries have in place.  But long term, it doesn't do anything.

You are making an assumption that every country would mandate vaccinations for all their residents.  Political realities, and cost,  will often prevent many countries from going that route.  You can see that with the current situation around the world.  You can just look at the USA for an example where there are no vaccines mandated for adults.  And even home schooled children can avoid vaccinations in most States.  While it might seem like a common sense thing to mandate a COVID-19 vaccination (if one ever exists) it would even be a big problem in the USA where numerous challenges (in the courts and elsewhere) by the so-called anti-vaccination crowd.

Hank

Fall cruises may not be suspended.  We certainly would not select one.  Nor would we book one or make a final payment on any that we had booked.

Even if we felt it was safe, we would not want to be in a position where we booked a cruise, such as Med with multiple stops, only to find out a month before, or at the start of the cruise, that several ports had been closed.  Last thing we would want is to book a port intensive cruise and end up cruising around the Med with only one or two stops.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 12:25 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Back to my question:  is there any point in testing people who do not exhibit symptoms (obviously other than those who need to have close interaction with at-risk persons) ? 

Why ?   What does it accomplish beyond using labs and personnel  to see if there is non-symptomatic infection?  And, if there is a point to doing it today, there would be the same point tomorrow --- meaning that everybody should be tested every day:  an extraordinary expenditure of resources.

I saw a request for plasma donors and they were required to have tested positive for and recovered from COVID-19.

20 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I saw a request for plasma donors and they were required to have tested positive for and recovered from COVID-19.

A friend's father was on the ship that eventually docked in Oakland and then moved to a military facility IIRC. He was never sick but after the fact showed that he had had it. (I'm still unclear on that but whatever.) He donated plasma which seems like a really good thing.

15 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

If I'm not mistaken, that search for plasma from people who have tested positive for COVID-19 is, specifically, to test a hypothosis that the plasma from previously infected recovered individuals, whose blood, presumably, would contain antibodies, could be used to develop a treatment for currently ill patients infected with the virus.

Just in case people read more into your post than you wrote.  This is not to say that people who do not meet those criteria will not be able to donate blood or plasma.  The need is great.  Everybody who wants to donate, will be eagerly welcomed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

If I'm not mistaken, that search for plasma from people who have tested positive for COVID-19 is, specifically, to test a hypothosis that the plasma from previously infected recovered individuals, whose blood, presumably, would contain antibodies, could be used to develop a treatment for currently ill patients infected with the virus.

Just in case people read more into your post than you wrote.  This is not to say that people who do not meet those criteria will not be able to donate blood or plasma.  The need is great.  Everybody who wants to donate, will be eagerly welcomed.

Actually, for the request I had seen they would not accept plasma from anyone who wasn't positive or I would have gladly donated (not sure if I could get tested just for that).  Donating blood is a different story, but even though I was able to sign my daughter and I up earlier in the month they canceled our appointments and didn't have a replacement until mid-June.  I'm not sure where they are getting blood from without the drives 😞 

48 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Actually, for the request I had seen they would not accept plasma from anyone who wasn't positive or I would have gladly donated (not sure if I could get tested just for that).  Donating blood is a different story, but even though I was able to sign my daughter and I up earlier in the month they canceled our appointments and didn't have a replacement until mid-June.  I'm not sure where they are getting blood from without the drives 😞 

Very interesting.  Thank you for clarifying with your personal experience.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5284/?et_cid=3327335&et_rid=17252290&et_referrer=TIQ

The above link has a 17min video from CEO Carnival Cruise.  Excellent video;  he talks about where the future of cruising is; talks about health issues and CDC ruling; he mentions that Carnival and its other lines have enough money to keep ships and employees up until end of December.  I really enjoyed it and it brought me more optimism about when we will cruise again.  Cheers

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Not sure what you mean?  I assume you feel that's not long.  

Well, when you consider that they're not being allowed to sail for, what?, two more months, and then to see if there enough airplanes flying and enough ports open to cruise ships and enough people to fill those ships...no, I don't think that's enough money. I booked a cruise for next Sept., having until next May to cancel with no penalty, figuring a cruise line is unlikely to file for bankruptcy THAT soon. But then I read the Washington Post article and am coming really close to canceling right now.

21 hours ago, George C said:

Will book our pre night hotel for our November cruise within the week, will definitely get insurance when booking our air and have insurance on cruise , have no idea if it will sail on not. 

Hi

A bit of a side issue. So, what kind of insurance can you get, or would you get at this time?

Will insurance companies sell cancel for any reason policies? I don't think the cruise lines one will give you cash back if you cancel after final payment. Can you get medical coverage for virus related issues. I know that at this time, the insurers I deal with have Covid 19 issues excluded. So, this would exclude medical evacuation as well as repatriation and other associated costs. Without complete certainty on insurance coverage I wouldn't go far from home. At least here I know I have health care coverage. Travel is a luxury, not a necessity. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 1:37 PM, pacruise804 said:

They just did a blood drive yesterday at my work.

Curious what any of you think about them cruising but not letting people get off at ports? I think if I have the drink plan, the dining plan, and there are plenty of activities I'm down for that option. I love the ports but we did a transatlantic previously which was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

Curious what any of you think about them cruising but not letting people get off at ports? I think if I have the drink plan, the dining plan, and there are plenty of activities I'm down for that option. I love the ports but we did a transatlantic previously which was a lot of fun.

well, they legally aren’t allowed to sell cruises to nowhere; so if that happened it would have to be due to ports closing to the ship at the last minute, not by design. 

I wouldn’t want to be on a cruise with no stops where it was intentional or not; we cruise for the ports and spend a lot of time researching and planning port stops. I’d rather do an AI than a cruise with no stops. I get restless on the small spaces of a ship over time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

I'm not a fan of a lot of sea days, so this wouldn't be for me. I sail for the ports and the itinerary. Given the chance of a week at sea or a week in some interesting location, I'd take the latter every time.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 2:34 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Do you really believe that a country which requires everyone of their population to be vaccinated is going to permit ships to bring un-vaccinated passengers to its ports?

Why not?

THEIR people are protected.

What do they care about others??????

18 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

Hopefully my drives will start opening sooner 🙂 

I'm indifferent to a cruise to nowhere.  There are certain ships that can be destinations of their own, a ship can move away from bad weather while an AI can't (but the AI does generally have better shelter if stuck in a storm), and if the focus is rest and relaxation I can do that well on a ship.  Some negatives though is the view doesn't change much (assuming open seas), minimal relief options for those who suffer motion sickness, and no "escape" if you don't like the cruise.  My last cruise was supposed to be to Bermuda and was diverted with our only stop at South Carolina (lovely stop).  Many on the ship considered it a cruise to no where and I wouldn't want to be on one with that level of complaining again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

No vaccine is 100% effective, and no population is 100% vaccinated.

SRF seems to have a "bee in his bonnet" on this issue. I'm with you.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Why not?

THEIR people are protected.

What do they care about others??????

Because there are most likely to be some of their population who would not be vaccinated - either for valid medical reasons or for the virtually certain likelihood that some of their population would have slipped through the cracks.   It is extremely unlikely that any country which felt it advisable to require universal immunization to welcome unimmunized visitors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sanger727 said:

well, they legally aren’t allowed to sell cruises to nowhere; so if that happened it would have to be due to ports closing to the ship at the last minute, not by design. 

I wouldn’t want to be on a cruise with no stops where it was intentional or not; we cruise for the ports and spend a lot of time researching and planning port stops. I’d rather do an AI than a cruise with no stops. I get restless on the small spaces of a ship over time.

I see two night cruises to no where pop up now and then out of NYC and Florida ports.

7 hours ago, ducklite said:

I see two night cruises to no where pop up now and then out of NYC and Florida ports.

I used to see 1 or 2 night cruises out of NY to nowhere, but have not for years. (I never looked for them out of Florida>)