Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It’s a thing we all hate too. We call it propping up a blank building. Consultant’s tell us the audience interprets as “staying on the story.” But we all think it’s ridiculous.

How much snow do you have so far?

I'm sure you slept like a baby knowing you didnt have to be out there covering the storm.  And of course all snuggled up with Linda and the pups helps too!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is really sad. The entire story of your MIL is sad. I think my mother's favorite thing in life is being a mom. Not to stereotype but that is sort of typical of Italian mothers.... especially toward their sons.🙂

Magia! Mangia!

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I did as I was instructed and when I returned, my BP was 130/65.  After 15 years, I still am taking the same one pill.

My daily Amlodipine (Norvasc) pill does wonders for me.  I'm hoping that with less stress, less salt, and more exercise in retirement, I can go from 10mg per day to 5mg per day, and then off it completely.  I should probably include less alcohol on that list but...

11 hours ago, George C said:

My parents were not huge picture takers and some of the pictures have head’s missing but still have a pretty good number, he had them in slides which I got transferred to Betamax then to vhs then to dvds. 

I am fortunate.  My father was in the army and my mother didn't know many other people on the base.  I was the first born.  She put her full attention on me and documented everything that I did in tremendous detail (including detailed toilet training notes!).  When I got married, she gave me a box full of pictures, baby books, and other mementos, plus a VHS tape of all of the videos that they had taken.  My younger brother and sister didn't get nearly as much. 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thise consultants may be under estimating the intellegence of the audience, or maybe not.

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's to never underestimate how stupid people can be.  

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

The crazy thing, heating the entire home is better for the home than using space heaters in select areas.  In this case it would certainly have cheaper after the damage she caused. Maybe she needs a few more visits from the fire chief. 

@Sunshine3601 - Building on Andrew's point, would your MIL get rid of the space heaters if she somehow thought that it was her idea (e.g. to save money)?  Sounds like she may be rejecting important suggestions/help like this because it is from other people telling her what to do, even if well intentioned.  I don't know how to trick her into thinking it's her idea, but that might help.

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

I did dune bashing in Dubai, great fun. As did my mum who was in her 70s at the time with a dodgy hip. 

Did this a few years ago.   I agree...great fun.  More fun sitting in the front of the vehicle than in the back.  Finished with a nice dinner and a belly dancing show in the desert.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Magia! Mangia!

My daily Amlodipine (Norvasc) pill does wonders for me.  I'm hoping that with less stress, less salt, and more exercise in retirement, I can go from 10mg per day to 5mg per day, and then off it completely.  I should probably include less alcohol on that list but...

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's to never underestimate how stupid people can be.  

Isn't searching for stress relief and reducing alcohol consumption counter productive?😇

I know how stupid people can be. All you have to do to figure it out is to look at who they send back to Washington time after time.

• Like 3

MTD question for those that have done in MDR.  We usually do traditional dining for first seating at 530 pm.  

Cruise we booked yesterday said TD was filled up and we would have to do MTD.    We are kinda liking the idea to go at maybe 6 or so for port days.  If we do this can we get same waitstaff or will we get moved around to different waiters?

• Like 1

You will most likely get different waiters unless you specifically say you want your waiters.  

On the Allure, we literally had 8 different sets of waiters and 8 different tables because I always said, I don’t care.  Had some good tables and some bad tables.  Service was geared towards serving us food, and minimized the amount of time we spent eating dinner.  I did not time dinner, but I don’t think we had a single night where we were there for over an hour.  I would say it was close to ideal. 😆

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The CDC is just figuring out what many of us have known for some time. Their decrees have touched virtually everyone and the fallout and damage will be felt for a very long time. And that is my opinion.

I want to comment so badly.  I am skating on thin ice from earlier this week.  Sigh

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Beats me, but I am now in the process of deleting my profile and unsubscribing, I have finally had enough after 15 yrs of this.  I followed their Covid protocols 

Look, I've had deletions and hand slaps and get frustrated too. I've sworn that I'm done too but don't stay away long. Take some time to cool down and think things over before you do anything drastic. There are plenty of people around here who are fun to interact with as well as subjects that are interesting to talk about.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

On a very very sad note, the cruise line is pushing book your pre cruise things now, because they are going to go up tomorrow, so I dutifully booked a few shore excursions… there was a dune buggy… a 4x4 ride, I own a Jeep Rubicon, and they wouldn’t let me book the excursion because we are over 60… *****!!!!!!!   

I am suddenly realizing I am ancient old…….

*****!!!!

jc

I'm older than you, but it's my son who says I'm too old to do ATVs any more.  Well, that and the fact that I tipped one over in St. Kitts skidding around a sandy corner like the guide ahead of me was doing (monkey see, monkey do). I fell off, but wasn't hurt.  Nevertheless, we booked a private ATV tour for our upcoming Aruba visit in 2 weeks.  Just don't tell my son!

Edited by derorim
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

there was a dune buggy… a 4x4 ride, I own a Jeep Rubicon, and they wouldn’t let me book the excursion because we are over 60… *****!!!!!!!   

That's ridiculous, I feel I drive better than most young people. Older, smarter and probably a little more cautious. I always wanted a Jeep Rubicon.

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thise consultants may be under estimating the intellegence of the audience, or maybe not.

Bingo ! We in the business shake our heads when the consultants come to town and try and tell us what our audience wants. We look at each other and say, "who are they talking to." We firmly believe that they (consultants) most definitely under estimate the intelligence of the audience.

33 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Thanks for the explanation, it’s good to know that I’m not alone in my logic.  😁

No you are exactly right and we in the business don't understand why we have to do it.

27 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

How much snow do you have so far?

I'm sure you slept like a baby knowing you didnt have to be out there covering the storm.  And of course all snuggled up with Linda and the pups helps too!

Great comfy day. It has snowed about 2.5 inches and is still snowing. Here is a pic I took upstairs after doing my pre surgery exercises. The pups aren't sure what to think. Their little legs don't get them very far above the snow level.

IMG_7812.thumb.jpg.5ad0bcbaa883024a9d962c38a6b2b5d4.jpg

15 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Magia! Mangia!

I'm on the same drug. I was doing 10mg but I started getting swelling in my feet and ankles which is a side effect. My doc backed off the dosage down to 5mg and I don't have any swelling. When I first had the swelling I freaked out think that alcohol use was the culprit. Now that I know I will keep drinking my bourbon as usual.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm on the same drug. I was doing 10mg but I started getting swelling in my feet and ankles which is a side effect. My doc backed off the dosage down to 5mg and I don't have any swelling. When I first had the swelling I freaked out think that alcohol use was the culprit. Now that I know I will keep drinking my bourbon as usual.

Swelling is a very common side effect of amlodipine.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keksie said:

Oh my.  How difficult to deal with and scary too.  I would have told her yes the Fire Chief would be back periodically to inspect her home.  I would also tell her he could fine her for violations.  Then I would talk with the Fire Chief and see if he could come by once in awhile.  I had to do things like that with my mother so that she would be safe and clean.  I am probably going to hell but at least mom didn't drink herself to death on my watch.

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That's a good idea.    Maybe I will call the firehouse and ask if they make house calls.    

Hey I see no reason for you to go to hell if you are saving someone's life.    Sorry you had to go through that with your Mom.    

Debbie, So sorry that you and Eric had to go through this. I have been a volunteer firefighter for over 45 years and after reading your account of the situation, I just sat here shaking my head. Especially reading that she put things right back into the TV room. (And added the coffee maker).

As far as what I highlighted above, I'm not sure if the Fire Chief and/or Fire Marshall would have much jurisdiction over inspections or fines. That can't be done here with single family dwellings. They have plenty of authority with multi-family homes and buildings. However, if the Chief was willing to have a talk with her, there is always the slight chance that could put the "Fear of God" into her. Then again, since she is yelling at everybody and then started putting things back right away, that's probably not going to happen. I'm sure that your MIL's address will be in the back of his mind if another situation arises.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same here. As I said before, my mother loved being a mother and my father's only concerns were his wife and kids. It was really a great house for my brothers and me to grow up in. I'm not sure we always appreciated at the time how fortunate we were.

You just described my parents!  One difference.  Jewish guilt!  Oh my mom had it down to a science.

One time when I didn't feel like eating sandwiches for lunch my mom said " I trudged out in a snow storm to that bakery 6 blocks away to get you fresh bread".  We had sandwiches for lunch.

I tried the guilt trip with my daughter and she laughingly said, "mom it isn't working" 🤣

My sister never got the knack with her kids either.  Maybe the guilt gene misses a generation.

To this day, my sister and I often comment about how fortunate we were growing up.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

As is dizziness.  I need to be carefully getting out of bed at night to go to the bathroom.  I sit on the side of the bed for a few seconds before standing up.  I also notice it when I'm doing something more strenuous, especially if I need to bend over.  One of the reasons that I'd like to get off it completely, or at least down to 5mg.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

However, if the Chief was willing to have a talk with her, there is always the slight chance that could put the "Fear of God" into her. Then again, since she is yelling at everybody and then started putting things back right away, that's probably not going to happen. I'm sure that your MIL's address will be in the back of his mind if another situation arises.

I don't think it is very easy to put much fear into a 91yo. Once they make it that far they are pretty set in there ways.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Debbie, So sorry that you and Eric had to go through this. I have been a volunteer firefighter for over 45 years and after reading your account of the situation, I just sat here shaking my head. Especially reading that she put things right back into the TV room. (And added the coffee maker).

As far as what I highlighted above, I'm not sure if the Fire Chief and/or Fire Marshall would have much jurisdiction over inspections or fines. That can't be done here with single family dwellings. They have plenty of authority with multi-family homes and buildings. However, if the Chief was willing to have a talk with her, there is always the slight chance that could put the "Fear of God" into her. Then again, since she is yelling at everybody and then started putting things back right away, that's probably not going to happen. I'm sure that your MIL's address will be in the back of his mind if another situation arises.

They may not have actual jurisdiction but she probably doesn't know that.  I do think if you ask they will do walk throughs of homes for fire concerns.  I had the Dr. tell my mom that alcohol would have a bad interaction with one of her meds.  Not really true but it stopped her from drinking.  My mom would argue with me but if an authority told her the same thing she would go along with it. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

MTD question for those that have done in MDR.  We usually do traditional dining for first seating at 530 pm.  

Cruise we booked yesterday said TD was filled up and we would have to do MTD.    We are kinda liking the idea to go at maybe 6 or so for port days.  If we do this can we get same waitstaff or will we get moved around to different waiters?

We have been doing MTD for years and have always been able to request same table and waiters if we have wanted. Likewise we request a change if we haven’t been happy with location or service!

We generally make request as we leave night before. If you want to be completely spontaneous you will probably have to fit in with what is available but in our experience when plans have changed they usually try their best to accommodate our request if possible.

I will add this has always been on Freedom class and smaller - don’t know about the bigger ships.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We have been doing MTD for years and have always been able to request same table and waiters if we have wanted. Likewise we request a change if we haven’t been happy with location or service!

We generally make request as we leave night before. If you want to be completely spontaneous you will probably have to fit in with what is available but in our experience when plans have changed they usually try their best to accommodate our request if possible.

I will add this has always been on Freedom class and smaller - don’t know about the bigger ships.

We also have been doing MTD for years and request the same waiter and table too.  We have had no issues doing this on any ship and have sailed every class ship but Vision class.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

As is dizziness.  I need to be carefully getting out of bed at night to go to the bathroom.  I sit on the side of the bed for a few seconds before standing up.  I also notice it when I'm doing something more strenuous, especially if I need to bend over.  One of the reasons that I'd like to get off it completely, or at least down to 5mg.

The dizziness is called orthostatic hypotension. The baro receptors in your neck become sluggish over time. These receptors sence the need to boost pressure to get more blood to your head when you get up. As time goes by they react more slowly. Any blood pressure med can exacerbate the problem as when you go to get up you are starting with a lower pressure than if you were not on medication. The issue is not specific to amlodipine but to the treatment of high blood pressure in general.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

When I went in to see my longtime primary care doc and told him about the swelling and showed him some pics of it, in a blink of an eye he said "I know what's causing it, it's the 10mg. backed it off and no problems since then.

11 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's happened to me a couple of times. I mainly have to be careful getting out of bed as sometimes my knee will give out and I almost fall.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The dizziness is called orthostatic hypotension. The baro receptors in your neck become sluggish over time. These receptors sence the need to boost pressure to get more blood to your head when you get up. As time goes by they react more slowly. Any blood pressure med can exacerbate the problem as when you go to get up you are starting with a lower pressure than if you were not on medication. The issue is not specific to amlodipine but to the treatment of high blood pressure in general.

So good to have the good doctor here. I feel like I should give you my insurance card so you can bill.😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Debbie, So sorry that you and Eric had to go through this. I have been a volunteer firefighter for over 45 years and after reading your account of the situation, I just sat here shaking my head. 

I have lots of respect for firemen and very impressed you have been volunteering for 45 yrs.  Thank you for being there to help those in need.🤩💕

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Eric has been orthostatic for several years.  Different doctors have tried different meds but never found the right balance for him.   He finds that plenty of fluids and exercise have helped him control but he still makes sure to get up slowly.    His sitting pressure can be 120/80 then standing can drop to something like 90/45 sometimes.

For those middle of night bathroom runs he will sit up and wiggle his feet and move his legs arounds before standing.  

• Like 1