Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I hope everyone has a safe, and enjoyable 4th of July.  From our trip to Waldameer, this statue is appropriate. 

4BA54CB2-E4C7-4DBE-AEB6-8EA3FDE3A471.thumb.jpeg.6b7c8ffcf132b3fa246a6c0007f4e7a6.jpeg

I think I may have posted this before. It is a video I did of a fireworks show with the grandkids a few years ago, set to Lee *****’s song. 

Edit to add—- I guess CC bans his last name too. 🤣🤣. Just like the city. 

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 14

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sometimes Less is More

Mies van der Rohe

20220703_205112.thumb.jpg.4f67f571fc24ef69700643804f081a9b.jpg

Reliving my youth😉

FWIW, Itried to order this on the ship recently. Got a blank stare from the waiter. Settled for Jack and Sprite

I remember once on one of my first visits to the USA , I ordered dry Martini and lemonade , what our American friends would call vermouth and sprite, I got a weird look and was asked, what in the same glass?  I know better now

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Wishing everyone a safe and happy 4th of July tomorrow!  Let Freedom Ring!!!🎉🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🎉🧨🧨🧨

Happy 4th July. Hope you're all enjoying your long holiday weekend and celebrations  🇺🇸 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

My dad had lots of journals in a footlocker chest. They were probably from during WWII. I haven't read them yet. He was a pilot during the war, and we did sell some of his plane photos. There are also a lot of photos from the 1906 earthquake that my grandfather took in Oakland. (It didn't just shake San Francisco. :classic_rolleyes:) I have to go through them. We will probably end up donating them to the historical society or Oakland Museum. They are neat, but no reason for us to keep them. :classic_smile:

My husband would love to read them. He is an airplane nut and loves reading or watching  anything about WW2 if it involves planes.

His father was a flight engineer in the RAF in WW2 and did missions all over Europe dropping supplies and more to the partisans behind enemy lines

• Like 8

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Yea, but living through a big remodel isn't much fun.

I’ve almost forgotten the summer we spent with plastic covering one end of our house. Every time we went out, especially at night, we wondered if we’d be burglarized. 
not to mention air conditioning the neighborhood. 
Still easier than moving. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

Except we are selling and moving. :classic_biggrin: This was just project one. Next up are structural repairs, new flooring and painting. Fortunately, the other house is already updated, and doesn't need a lot of work. :classic_smile:

Holy Mackeral! I hope you get to enjoy it all a little bit. 
We put new tile in our bathrooms and kitchen once and then decided  to move a month later. I hated not getting to enjoy the new look, but on the other hand, the condo was brand new and we got to pick tile, carpet and cabinets. 
but still…

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

He didn't install the backsplash Deb. Bill just removed the Formica, the sheetrock was pretty torn up. Then we had a sheetrock guy come in and skim coat it and sand it. Then the tile experts came in and did the installation. This whole thing was a long, complicated process. 

For the next project, flooring, we will have to learn to use something called "Self-Leveling Concrete". The tile guy explained that it would be needed in some areas on the floor. Should be fun, Not. :classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin: He will give us a pass on the asbestos issues, if it has already been applied before the pre-inspection. :classic_rolleyes:

We ended up needing $2000 of self leveling concrete for the condo. It was cool to watch. So thick in the middle we were able to add a floor outlet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Wow, that sucks.   There are big fireworks tents set up in major parking lots to sell.   Lots of people setting them off in the free state of Florida 

😀

Many cities officially prohibit them, but enjoy the revenue. Police rarely enforce. Even on the beach where signs are posted year round. 

More like hypocritical state of FL😉

• Like 2

9 hours ago, helen haywood said:

What are you thinking about booking?  I found Dani’s thread when I was stuck in lockdown…and we have sailed Royal often…but we are primarily Celebrity cruisers.  Love the ships.

Apex or Edge most likely

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

No one says that up here in the northeast.

Because in the South we’re more efficient and move faster 😇
instead of “all of you”, y’all saves time!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Passed my COVID test this time.  Heading down to the Mariner soon.  Seems like it's been ages but it has only been since mid May since I was on a ship

Have a great cruise, Ellen.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love them.🙂

Merlin is indifferent to them which is good as it seems like people started celebrating up here on Canada Day and are continuing right through to the 4th.  It's become a weekend event.

They never bothered our last dog either until her last 2 years.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I understand where you are coming from…and I understand for some people this would be the appropriate action.  But I think I understand what Dani is saying.  She and her husband both tried their best to address the issues onboard…and were  met with low level employees attempting to placate them with wine, chocolates, and, worst of all, being told by Guest Services that the incident had been noted on their cabin record.  And then she finds out the incident had not been reported up the chain despite their efforts.

Their cruise is over.  I doubt she believes any corrective action would be taken by an attempt to contact the CEO.  And I am relatively certain that she’s not looking for any renumeration.

I never mentioned renumeration and I would not be looking for any. Maybe corporate would have more concern for what is happening on the ship or maybe not. I have written to RCI about both the good as well as the bad not looking to get anything personally out if it. What corporate does with the supplied information is up to them.

My point was that it takes little effort in these days of electronic communucations. If she simply wants to let it go that is perfectly fine but I don't see that decision being based on effort involved.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

DD did a 10km walk in one of the US National Parks today.  Delighted to see lots of dogs on the trail.  Here in Australia, dogs are not permitted in our National Parks. Photo of Max who would love to go exploring….instead he is watching the rain.

302839B9-E8C1-436D-94A3-368D8260A19A.jpeg

The U.S. is not as dog friendly as some European countries are.

27 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Because in the South we’re more efficient and move faster 😇
instead of “all of you”, y’all saves time!

That is odd, speed and efficiency are not two words I usually associate with the word "South".😇😊

• Haha 8

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I never mentioned renumeration and I would not be looking for any. Maybe corporate would have more concern for what is happening on the ship or maybe not. I have written to RCI about both the good as well as the bad not looking to get anything personally out if it. What corporate does with the supplied information is up to them.

My point was that it takes little effort in these days of electronic communucations. If she simply wants to let it go that is perfectly fine but I don't see that decision being based on effort involved.

Well said!

The one time I felt the need to contact Royal after a cruise, was after things kept going horribly wrong on a cruise.  My purpose was to detail the problem so they could review what happened, and make changes so no one would have to experience the same thing.

I would encourage Dani to at least make sure they are aware of the wire issue.   If it is not getting up to the people who need to know, they may never change, and others may face the same issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I appreciate what Kate has achieved as a woman.  There's no reason that a woman can't have the same level of technical knowledge as a man.  But for her to effectively lead down AND lead up, she'll almost certainly run into people who don't like a woman being in the role, and be able to lead through that.  She's probably had to deal with that in both her staff below her and her management people above her.

To start with I am not one of those women who are so into themselves that they make life miserable for others because of what they accomplished and pat themselves on the back.  Or had to fight for just do in the work force.

That being said;  I worked with a female surgeon at our local hospital.  Now she came with attitude and stayed with attitude. For a while.

The day she arrived she was given a locker in the nurses locker room, that really made her day, it was said she asked for a physicians locker, and was told all the male doctors use that room.

Now she was very qualified and an excellent practitioner having trained at a very renowned facility, and why she would come to our small town to this day amazes me.

But, when doing surgery, there were so many comments about the benefits of getting treatment from her because of all her talents and having to fight for what her rights were.   It got old. Always berating other male physicians for whatever reason.

Well, she did it to herself.

Her practice really never grew, and she left to take on a paid hospital practice where patients were assigned to her.

Yes she was good, but her attitude did her in, and that in itself lead her to leave and take on another site to work.

But I admire women who strive and attain the best in whatever field they work in, and I know some may have to fight and cross set up barriers, but stay cool, and share your talents, not make grief for those around you.

Take care

• Like 5

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Passed my COVID test this time.  Heading down to the Mariner soon.  Seems like it's been ages but it has only been since mid May since I was on a ship

Woot Woot!    Congratulations on passing!     I hope you have a wonderful cruise with perfect weather🤩