Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

Where was the other half ?

I’m sure wherever she is, she’s still worrying about it. 
That was the worst. Did she eat it? Was on one of our plates?

There was a drugstore on the first floor of our building that served lunch. 
We ate their hot dogs and egg salad sandwiches for a few days till we realized we were eating our vacation money. We saved as much as we could for a road trip to New Orleans. 
Prudential paid $1 an hour back then. 
Some departments paid 90¢ an hour. 
Everything cost less back then, and we were lucky to get free lunches, but still it’s amazing to look back and realize how 

little that was. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm still not used to being called honey or darlin' by someone who've I've never met before.  Even weirder when I'm sitting next to my wife.  But I've learned that it's all part of the southern charm.  I'd much rather have that than a northern waitress who snarls and practically throws things at you.

But that was the charm of Durgin Park and Carnegie Deli!

39 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I was thinking, we are talking about chairs, and what chairs have steering wheels on them?

Then I remembered!

29D7EC74-2B63-4CB8-A292-AF7D93887864.thumb.jpeg.38ec62d1476bf45307a3547f1b7c5bac.jpeg

I felt like my baby was very safe in that seat. And she liked it when she could climb out and jump up and down. 
Amazing looking back!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

We ate their hot dogs and egg salad sandwiches for a few days till we realized we were eating our vacation money. We saved as much as we could for a road trip to New Orleans. 
Everything cost less back then, and we were lucky to get free lunches, but still it’s amazing to look back and realize how 

little that was. 

How is your pacemaker working out ? My husband before he retired worked for a medical device entrepreneur.   The company developed a pacemaker among other life saving devices. The battery guy was a very good friend.  

20 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

little that was. 

In the summer after graduating HS I had a job making $59 a week.The company wanted me to continue working and not go to college.They offered me an incentive of a $1 a week pay increase if I accepted their offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

At age 13 I began a journal and added to it every year to age 40.In 1988 when I was the recipient of a Humanitarian Award there was a story written about me in a NYC newspaper.My grandchildren will be able to read the story .In 1990 there was a story written about me in a magazine ,they will be able to read that.In 1999 there was a story about me in a NYC magazine that my grandchildren can also read.In 2011 a story about me was written on an online site.I have a copy of the story,another thing they can read.
In 2012 I contributed to the making of a Documentary that won two Emmy Awards.My grandchildren watched the film last year.

Why did you stop?

FWIW, my FIL kept Journals from 1970 through his death in 2018. One each year.

After his death, Laura decided to read them. 

After finishing about 25 of them, she had me shred them all. It was depressing. 😪

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, but I really lack the energy to pursue the matter. Have little faith that someone will "care" and I don't see us cruising Celebrity in the foreseeable future.

I've "published" my "musings" on the Celebrity board now.

It really would not take much energy. All you have to do is take what you wrote here in your original post and paste it into an email to the CEO. Then just wait to see what you get for a response. It would be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm still not used to being called honey or darlin' by someone who've I've never met before.  Even weirder when I'm sitting next to my wife.  But I've learned that it's all part of the southern charm.  I'd much rather have that than a northern waitress who snarls and practically throws things at you.

Baltimore shortens it to Hon.

In St Louis it's youz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Baltimore shortens it to Hon.

In St Louis it's youz

In Kentucky, it's y'all.  Unless the waitress is talking to more than one person, in which case it's the plural version...all y'all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Coralc said:

I read all the time. Presently reading Brad Meltzer, "The Lightning Rod". :classic_smile:

Pat, I've made a note, as soon as I'm "finished" with Grisham 😉

@DaniDanielle, Marietta,

Being quarantined at home, I've binged on Grisham's "The Racketeers", and now I'm about to finish "Sycamore Row". Outstanding books. Hate to see them end.

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It would be interesting to see what happens.

OK. But after your 4th of July.

BTW, I think I've mentioned that the "free" wi-fi was not working? Therefore, sadly, I couldn't ask your advice in real time. I really appreciate it though, even now. Thanks, again.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Pat, I've made a note, as soon as I'm "finished" with Grisham 😉

@DaniDanielle, Marietta,

Being quarantined at home, I've binged on Grisham's "The Racketeers", and now I'm about to finish "Sycamore Row". Outstanding books. Hate to see them end.

I don't know if I will recommend this book or not yet. :classic_smile: Some of Brad Meltzer's other books are very good. Specifically, "The Millionaires" or "The Tenth Justice".  Some of the action in The Millionaires takes place in the tunnels under Walt Disney World. :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, NHProud said:

How is your pacemaker working out ? My husband before he retired worked for a medical device entrepreneur.   The company developed a pacemaker among other life saving devices. The battery guy was a very good friend.  

Thanks for asking!

I keep forgetting I have it!

I use a CPAP and the mask connects with a strong magnet. I sleep on my side, and realized a couple of weeks ago that the magnet on one side winds up less than 6 inches from the pacemaker. 

Hooefully if that was a problem, someone would have told me!

The pacemaker does its job beautifully. 
My Sotalol drops my heart rate down and the pacemaker keeps it. From going too low. 
Thank goodness for good doctors, modern medicine, and the people who create and refine medical devices!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

But that was the charm of Durgin Park and Carnegie Deli!

We once took a road trip from NY (The Bronx) to Boston and knew we had to eat in Durgin Park.  Once inside, our friend was bending down next to our table and a sassy waitress shouted "move your a$$ honey".  We laughed so hard for the longest time.  His wife kept repeating it which made us laugh harder.

We once were served dessert in a local NY diner. (Rockland County).  My husband called the waitress over to ask if he can have some whipped cream on his rice pudding.   She walked away and returned with an industrial silver huge can of whipped cream.  She commenced to spray it not only on his rice pudding but on almost everything else on the table.  We couldn't complain since she was the owner's mother.🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

The kitchen remodel is finally completed! We booked the project in January. The backsplash was installed last week. Bill installed the new switches and undercabinet lights this weekend. 

The old kitchen: 

Oldkitchencounter.thumb.JPG.6ec2e1170812d25bb3efb3e6bae175bd.JPG

The new kitchen: 

Newkitchen1.thumb.JPG.3dc4c07cefa7eed8410e0fa16bf4c05f.JPG

Newkitchen5.JPG

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 29

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

Thanks for asking!

I keep forgetting I have it!

I use a CPAP and the mask connects with a strong magnet. I sleep on my side, and realized a couple of weeks ago that the magnet on one side winds up less than 6 inches from the pacemaker. 

Hooefully if that was a problem, someone would have told me!

The pacemaker does its job beautifully. 
My Sotalol drops my heart rate down and the pacemaker keeps it. From going too low. 
Thank goodness for good doctors, modern medicine, and the people who create and refine medical devices!

Really happy you are doing well ! 

12 minutes ago, Coralc said:

The kitchen remodel is finally completed! We booked the project in January. The backsplash was installed last week. Bill installed the new switches and undercabinet lights this weekend. 

The old kitchen: 

Oldkitchencounter.thumb.JPG.6ec2e1170812d25bb3efb3e6bae175bd.JPG

The new kitchen: 

Newkitchen1.thumb.JPG.3dc4c07cefa7eed8410e0fa16bf4c05f.JPG

Newkitchen5.JPG

Very Nice, I like it.

We get the word this Tuesday from Contractor  on a start date for ours.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The Cats days of summer.  Eva's favorite spot this time of night when patio is shady

Tough life, look at that big yawn20220703_191539.thumb.jpg.99c8b2e969ad78b6bd4677dba5b9cb10.jpg

Exhausting day!20220703_191544.thumb.jpg.21fbf2dd7c45f294d98c359353f82848.jpg

Like your flower pot with the flowers. We have 2 pots on our deck, have to get a few pictures of them tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

We once took a road trip from NY (The Bronx) to Boston and knew we had to eat in Durgin Park.  Once inside, our friend was bending down next to our table and a sassy waitress shouted "move your a$$ honey".  We laughed so hard for the longest time.  His wife kept repeating it which made us laugh harder.

We once were served dessert in a local NY diner. (Rockland County).  My husband called the waitress over to ask if he can have some whipped cream on his rice pudding.   She walked away and returned with an industrial silver huge can of whipped cream.  She commenced to spray it not only on his rice pudding but on almost everything else on the table.  We couldn't complain since she was the owner's mother.🤣

My son-in-law wasn’t crazy about whatever he ordered. The waitress told him no dessert if he didn’t clean his plate. 
We all ordered dessert. 
We were all served dessert. 
Except Jon. 
He was horribly embarrassed and still doesn’t want to talk about it. 
That was 1988 when they’d only been married a couple of months. 

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4