Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They are beautiful.  I have never seen decorated donuts like these.   So fun😃

We have a Duck Donuts and a Dunkin Donuts a mile from us. I had heard of Duck NC, but didn’t know about the donuts. Once in a while Dick brings me one when he goes to Publix. He’s building up his brownie points.
 I’ve never been to Dunkin. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Two of my daughters were also lifeguards at a private swim club.  One day, one of the girls from the diving team hit her head on the diving board and went down.  My daughter Jen dove in and brought her up.  Seems ironic, but when we were selling our home on SI to a young family, the woman told me that it was she who our daughter had saved years earlier.

Such a small world that she bought your home. Your Daughter saved her life.   You have a family of Heroes and I'm sure you are really proud of All of them🤩  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Coincidentally, I just watched that movie as well.  Started last night but fell asleep half-way thru the movie as it's almost 3 hours long. Watched the last half this morning but before I did that, I did something really stupid. I was wondering where it was filmed as I found the exotic locations to be beautiful and of course, I came across a spoiler as I was consulting Mr. Google. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Currently watching The Lost City with Sandra Bullock. Love her!  Also has some very exotic beautiful locations although I can pretty much guess where it's filmed. Hawaii, I think, even though in the movie it's somewhere mid-Atlantic. And with most rom-coms, I have a pretty good idea how this movie will end.

I started watching Lost City while down the shore.  Thank you for reminding me I need to finish watching.😃

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I used to go with friends to Betsy Head Pool in Brooklyn but I just hung out and talked to other kids.It was ten cents to enter .

I remember taking the subway from Long Island to Brooklyn to swim.
The subway station was in Jackson  Heights and was elevated.

My friends’ older sister parked the car at Parsons Blvd in Jamaica to take …the 6th Ave subway???The huge (to me back then) pool was under a hotel. 
Don’t remember what it cost to swim. There was a ladies changing room and everything had that indoor pool smell. 
There was a waterfall at one end. It was fun standing under it. 
For years I remembered the name of the hotel but it’s lost in the mists of time now. 
Thus was about 70 years ago. I think the 6th Ave line is gone or renamed, and Lord knows what happened to the hotel and the pool. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

But when drunk at 2am it’s perfect. At 12 noon it’s not so good. 😁

Did Taylor thank-you for letting her sit with you?😉

If someone brings you a whole Sorrentos pizza and a cold beer at noon while you’re sitting on your balcony, trust me. It’s delicious. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I ironed my patio this morning😁  it's looking much better but still have oil residue that soaked into brick.   Will let try wire brush and white vinegar later today16574752892206349169578040006341.thumb.jpg.7621f326beeb4ee9c01268cf02428fdb.jpg

You need to put 2 flower pots over those 2 spots. 😉

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Sorry to hear that Lenny.  That’s nasty.  I am not a fan of lifts myself.  My husband works high up in an office tower near Circular Quay with views of the harbour.  Rather him than me.  He is often in the lift alone these days because so many office workers are working from home several days a week now.
I blame Keanu Reeves and the movie  Speed & The Towering Inferno! for my fear.

The Towering Inferno did it for me and glass elevators. 
We checked into the St Francis in San Francisco and boarded what I thought was a regular elevator and by the time it passed the third floor and was outside I realized the three walls were glass. 
The first time it stopped, I bailed. 
No clue what our room number was. 
I was going to walk down the stairs to the lobby when an elevator pinged farther down the wall and a room service guy came off. A normal elevator!

I jumped on, and pressed the lobby button. 
I asked for our room number and how could I get there without the glass elevator. That’s when Dick walked up mad as heck. I had left him with both of our carry ons and he didn’t know where I went. 
He got over his mad and I found out that yes, they had normal elevators for panicky people. 
We had a lovely week as always in that great city. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, sgmn said:

Well done Ava, especially on her first day.

My son was also a lifeguard during collage and saved a few people 

In Kenya he was walking past the pool and noticed a young girl on the bottom. Nobody in the pool had noticed her. He got her out, she had to go hospital but survived 

In my teens I belonged to a surf lifesaving club on the beach in Perranporth in Cornwall . It's on the Atlantic coast and has big waves. But in those days the girls tended to look after lost kids and minor first aid and the guys did the life saving thing. My how times have changed 

That is amazing what your son did Sue.

You must be very proud of him.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That was where I started as a young one.   The first summer I could walk, age 2, my family got to top of the beach and I ran right into the ocean.  My parents knew from that moment that I was beach baby.  I would play in the ocean for hours😃  definitely is my happy place.

When I was 2 my parents rented a house in Coney Island near the beach .I was there all summer and probably ran to the water but I was not a beach baby.Four years later they rented a house for the summer ,same beach but a different location.I probably ran into the water but I was not a beach kid.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I remember taking the subway from Long Island to Brooklyn to swim.
The subway station was in Jackson  Heights and was elevated.

My friends’ older sister parked the car at Parsons Blvd in Jamaica to take …the 6th Ave subway???The huge (to me back then) pool was under a hotel. 
Don’t remember what it cost to swim. There was a ladies changing room and everything had that indoor pool smell. 
There was a waterfall at one end. It was fun standing under it. 
For years I remembered the name of the hotel but it’s lost in the mists of time now. 
Thus was about 70 years ago. I think the 6th Ave line is gone or renamed, and Lord knows what happened to the hotel and the pool. 

The only hotel that I remember where kids went to swim was the St.George in Brooklyn.I almost never went to Queens.I think the 6th.Ave.line became the F train.

13 hours ago, Coralc said:

My mom never learned how to swim, so she wanted to make sure I did. Started swim lessons around age 5. 

Funny quick story. We were having a swim instructor organized back stroke race down the length of the pool. All the moms used to sit on the bleachers. I thought I started off well, but it seemed like I backstroked for a long time. I finally heard my mom calling me, and I opened my eyes, and I was only midway down the pool. 

Apparently, I had been making big circles in the center of the pool, while everyone else had already finished. :classic_biggrin:

My youngest son backstroked  under the lane line and still came in 2nd. He was DQ’d because the swimmer whose lane he was in couldn’t get to the wall. 
They were 6 year olds so they both cried. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

If someone brings you a whole Sorrentos pizza and a cold beer at noon while you’re sitting on your balcony, trust me. It’s delicious. 

There was an Italian restaurant in Brooklyn in the 40’s and 50’s named Sorrentos .I was never there but it was supposedly a very popular place to go.More recently there was a restaurant in a LI mall food court by the same name.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

The Towering Inferno did it for me and glass elevators. 
We checked into the St Francis in San Francisco and boarded what I thought was a regular elevator and by the time it passed the third floor and was outside I realized the three walls were glass. 
The first time it stopped, I bailed. 
No clue what our room number was. 
I was going to walk down the stairs to the lobby when an elevator pinged farther down the wall and a room service guy came off. A normal elevator!

I jumped on, and pressed the lobby button. 
I asked for our room number and how could I get there without the glass elevator. That’s when Dick walked up mad as heck. I had left him with both of our carry ons and he didn’t know where I went. 
He got over his mad and I found out that yes, they had normal elevators for panicky people. 
We had a lovely week as always in that great city. 

We were in the St.Francis Hotel in the summer of 1970.I still have the brochure that they gave us when we checked in.We were there for a week .

I love SF.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Backstroke is a tricky one.  They now have flags near the end of lanes during school swim races so you have something to aim for😀

I was in charge of one of our meets and forgot to remind the guys to put the backstroke flags up. 
At the end of the meet, one of the opposing team’s moms came after me with her umbrella. Luckily for me, one of the other moms grabbed it when she raised it over her head to give me a good whack. 
I already felt terrible about the flags,  but it hurt our kids just as much. 
I worried about seeing her again, but she was just as friendly the next time as she had always been. 
I never forgot the flags again. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That is amazing what your son did Sue.

You must be very proud of him.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, I am. He was always my 'problem' son In his teens but he's turned out very well 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, sgmn said:

Think the whole country went into some kind of collective morning, never known anything like it. Literally a sea of thousands of flowers outside KP. 

You probably know that Dodis dad owned Harrods at the time . Presume donations were for charity? Seems strange 

The US mourned, too. It was a terrible tragedy and painful to this day. 
The box was not labeled. 
I couldn’t imagine Fayed needing money for a funeral. We decided maybe it was towards a permanent memorial. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Such a small world that she bought your home. Your Daughter saved her life.   You have a family of Heroes and I'm sure you are really proud of All of them🤩  

Thank you, Debbie.  Yes, it is indeed a small world!🥰

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sgmn said:

I was there last year and they are well displayed now were a very slow moving travellator in front so everyone gets a good look. You can go around as many times as you want.  It was in-between lockdowns so was pretty quiet without the normal overseas  visitors

Isn’t there still a gallery above where you can stand and just look?

We did the moving walkway a couple of times and then walked upstairs where we could stand and gawk. 
Last time I did it, though, was probably 20 years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

We have a Duck Donuts and a Dunkin Donuts a mile from us. I had heard of Duck NC, but didn’t know about the donuts. Once in a while Dick brings me one when he goes to Publix. He’s building up his brownie points.
 I’ve never been to Dunkin. 

Mimi - Have you tried Mini Bar Donuts?  We've never been but the son of our friends worked there for a while in college.  They serve coffee/espresso drinks and gourmet mini (so you can eat more than one flavor) donuts made hot to order.  Our friends say that the Fruity Pebbles and Maple Bacon donuts are really good.  They also have local beer on tap.  Beer and donuts...yum.  There's 4 of them scattered around Jacksonville and Jax Beach.

https://minibardonuts.com/

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

My youngest son backstroked  under the lane line and still came in 2nd. He was DQ’d because the swimmer whose lane he was in couldn’t get to the wall. 
They were 6 year olds so they both cried. 

Poor babies!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Isn’t there still a gallery above where you can stand and just look?

We did the moving walkway a couple of times and then walked upstairs where we could stand and gawk. 
Last time I did it, though, was probably 20 years ago. 

We were there in 2017.  I didn't see a gallery, just the moving walkway.  I might have missed it though.

_CM_8629.thumb.jpg.7bf77ec5acfb3231755cdf855bdf4402.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

Gary's cycle ride to Ypres is going well. Its pretty hot but he seems to be coping OK

The charity is The Royal British Legion which is a forces charity for veterans and their families. Normally he does the London to Paris ride where there is over 300 who take part but this is a much smaller ride with around 50 

Here are a few pics from yesterday and this morning 

Meeting at dawn for the ferry to Dunkirk 

IMG-20220709-WA0001.thumb.jpg.e6e39b84953cffa09f2b1afec2311afb.jpg

One of the stops along the route

IMG-20220709-WA0005.thumb.jpg.6bdc2086fc9ef3e39fa871390e1863d0.jpg

View from top of a hill looking back towards Dunkirk 

IMG-20220709-WA0023.thumb.jpg.4e30715a9aec0df7ed02e43ba77020eb.jpg

Hydrating 

IMG-20220710-WA0005.thumb.jpg.15eed2409b8d0eb5b22f7dd02cb68e45.jpg

The Vimy Ridge memorial to over 11,000 Canadians who lost their lives in this area during the first WW

IMG-20220710-WA0004.thumb.jpg.5e62ee921fe2a8e5e1ee6eae7d19c5ca.jpg

I always think of the poem “In Flanders Fields”. There was some heartbreaking poetry written right there during WWI. 
It is so good that the sacrifice is not forgotten. 
Too bad that war did not “end all wars”!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The only hotel that I remember where kids went to swim was the St.George in Brooklyn.I almost never went to Queens.I think the 6th.Ave.line became the F train.

Yes!!!! It was the St George!

I think…

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have a big pot of meatballs, hot and sweet sausage simmering on the stove.  Sauce mixture of homegrown Amish paste tomatoes and 2 cans crushed tomatoes.   Cut up some homegrown peppers, eggplant and zucchini and put in the sauce too!

Off to mow the lawn while that simmers.  

Debbie, that sounds crazy delicious!!  I love all the ingredients but not sure what Amish paste tomatoes are.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Mimi - Have you tried Mini Bar Donuts?  We've never been but the son of our friends worked there for a while in college.  They serve coffee/espresso drinks and gourmet mini (so you can eat more than one flavor) donuts made hot to order.  Our friends say that the Fruity Pebbles and Maple Bacon donuts are really good.  They also have local beer on tap.  Beer and donuts...yum.  There's 4 of them scattered around Jacksonville and Jax Beach.

https://minibardonuts.com/

I’ll check them out.
I like the idea of mini doughnuts. Maple Bacon sounds good. 
Gas has gone down some. I’ll see which one is closest to me and indulge. 
I can tell from someone else’s experience that hot doughnuts and beer together don’t have good results. 
Though I think my friend’s beer had been sitting in a hot car!

• Haha 1