Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ok, just curious I was the medical director at a camp here for 15 yrs.

BTW, big fire on Nantucket today. Pretty sad.

My DH asked if it was Yawgoog?  He is an Eagle Scout, was a leader for more years than I can remember.

I saw that awful fire.  Thankfully, they got everyone out safely at that early hour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines older sister(6 years older)threw Pauline into the deep end of the pool when she was a child and the lifeguard had to rescue Pauline and told her horrible sister off.

Pauline has never been in a pool since.

Does Pauline go into oceans ? I was in an ocean once after my experience .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

My DH asked if it was Yawgoog?  He is an Eagle Scout, was a leader for more years than I can remember.

I saw that awful fire.  Thankfully, they got everyone out safely at that early hour.

Yes is was Yawgoog.

Fire took out the Veranda House (a hotel). It looks like no casualties.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My brother, I, and our friends were constantly in the water during the summer. I'm not sure we knew anyone who couldn't swim.

All of my friends were swimmers.I went to beaches but just walked in the water up to my ankles.When I was on my first cruise in 1973 I was in water in Bermuda. I do not remember it but I have a picture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Blech on Olive Garden.  IMHO fake Italian food. Best restaurants are like the one you used to frequent.  Doesn't have to be upscale with expensive prices.  Not a chain but family owned and operated taking pride on what comes out of their kitchen.

My favorite cuisine is Italian.There are great restaurants in my part of NY.I have never been to an Olive Garden or any other chain restaurant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

That's truly awful when compared to land based facilities. 

But when drunk at 2am it’s perfect. At 12 noon it’s not so good. 😁

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sitting on the beach. What a beautiful evening here.

Did Taylor thank-you for letting her sit with you?😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

So sorry to hear of Lenny & Pauline having traumatic experiences around water.

I fell down an escalator from top to bottom as a child and stayed off one until age 20 when I talked myself in to trying again.I fell down again and have never been on one since.

54 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Add me to the list of people that can't swim. I can float, I'm a real good floater. Lake, pool, ocean, doesn't matter. There have been times when I float on my back and the water is calm enough, I start dozing off only to be awakened by the life guard whistle if I drift to far away.

But when I start to swim, one of two things happen: I start to sink or I stay abouve water but no forward momentum. Just a lot of thrashing and splashing.

The only water I go into is the shower

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

But when drunk at 2am it’s perfect. At 12 noon it’s not so good. 😁

Did Taylor thank-you for letting her sit with you?😉

Not sure what my dear friend is doing tonight. I guess I should check my voice mail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

50 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

With all of this talk about swimming,  I just wanted to add that our granddaughter Ava is a Lifeguard at one of the Jersey Shore Beaches, and she made a "save" on her first day on the job.  Two kids were caught in an undertow, and Ava and another lifeguard were able to get them safely back onshore.😊

That is great .I am sure that made her very happy.😀

• Like 1

For those that asked about mom she is doing OK. Mom left the hospital yesterday afternoon for the retirement home for convalescent care.  The surgery was late Thursday. 

She has been doing a bit of walking but the fear of the pain is a mind game for her. The huge positive thing is we have 24 hour PSW care for her for 2 weeks, and once a day hourly physiotherapy arranged for her at the retirement facility. A nurse comes and sees her every 2/3 days to check her wound and change the bandaid and covering. We arranged this over and above the care at the home. 

Today was a bit better than yesterday and I hope tomorrow is a bit better yet again. She is enjoying her food there as well.  I just hope that she can get over the fear aspect a bit more every day. I spent 8 hours with her and another 5 today. Let’s see what tomorrow brings. 

• Like 30

29 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I grew up the street from the Tompkinsville Pool on Staten Island, which had 3 pools.    A huge baby pool, where the moms could sit and watch the little ones play;  a humongous 3 foot pool, and a 15 foot diving pool.  It was free in the mornings, and free swimming lessons were given at that time.  The pools were then closed at lunchtime.  We would all walk home for lunch, and return in the afternoon where it costs ten cents to go in. 

I used to go with friends to Betsy Head Pool in Brooklyn but I just hung out and talked to other kids.It was ten cents to enter .

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

With all of this talk about swimming,  I just wanted to add that our granddaughter Ava is a Lifeguard at one of the Jersey Shore Beaches, and she made a "save" on her first day on the job.  Two kids were caught in an undertow, and Ava and another lifeguard were able to get them safely back onshore.😊

Dramatic way to start her first day of lifeguarding.  Well done to Ava.  

My nephew was a volunteer lifeguard at one of our Sydney beaches for several years.  In the off season, he would work at the local pools.  It was worrying how many parents would leave their kids unattended at the pool for several hours while they popped off to the shops.  Absolutely against the rules but they still did it.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I fell down an escalator from top to bottom as a child and stayed off one until age 20 when I talked myself in to trying again.I fell down again and have never been on one since.

Sorry to hear that Lenny.  That’s nasty.  I am not a fan of lifts myself.  My husband works high up in an office tower near Circular Quay with views of the harbour.  Rather him than me.  He is often in the lift alone these days because so many office workers are working from home several days a week now.
I blame Keanu Reeves and the movie  Speed & The Towering Inferno! for my fear.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Sorry to hear that Lenny.  That’s nasty.  I am not a fan of lifts myself.  My husband works high up in an office tower near Circular Quay with views of the harbour.  Rather him than me.  He is often in the lift alone these days because so many office workers are working from home several days a week now.
I blame Keanu Reeves and the movie  Speed & The Towering Inferno! for my fear.

I never had a problem with elevators but for 20 years I worked on the 17th.floor of an office building.Twice there were fires and I had to walk all the way down to the main floor .That did not bother me but my wife worked on the 87th.floor of the original World Trade Center and I could never imagine walking down 87 floors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They are beautiful.  I have never seen decorated donuts like these.   So fun😃

Search Voodoo Donuts, then click images if you really want to see some decorated donuts 😲

• Like 3

On 7/8/2022 at 7:51 AM, h20skibum said:

We have our first NE cruise coming up in October, leaving from Boston.  It will be something different for us, and will be a nice getaway after our summer with the grandkids. 

We have stops in Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine, plus St John, NB and Halifax, NS. 

The only thing I have booked so far is Acadia National Park when we are in Bar Harbor.  

I have read about Peggy’s cove in Halifax, and may book an excursion there. 

For anyone who has been to these ports, any recommendations?   I usually have time to research, but it seems my free time is limited this summer. 

I’ve just finished watching Places to Love with Samantha Brown and she visited an Italian bakery and deli.  The North End is the place for authentic Italian food in Boston .   

Holy Donut in Portland is famous and so is the long line .  I think they use potato flour for their donuts. Didn’t wait ! 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

So sorry to hear of Lenny & Pauline having traumatic experiences around water.

My mom never learned how to swim, so she wanted to make sure I did. Started swim lessons around age 5. 

Funny quick story. We were having a swim instructor organized back stroke race down the length of the pool. All the moms used to sit on the bleachers. I thought I started off well, but it seemed like I backstroked for a long time. I finally heard my mom calling me, and I opened my eyes, and I was only midway down the pool. 

Apparently, I had been making big circles in the center of the pool, while everyone else had already finished. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10