Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

14 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We made it home from PA in record time tonight. Maybe folks are waiting until tomorrow to travel.
We had lots of laughs, card games and way too much delicious food.  Friday night we all went out to dinner, Saturday night was a parade of appetizers and a big brunch today.  Tomorrow I get back to healthy eating. I’m pretty sure I’ve put on 10lbs this holiday season. I’m also giving “dry January” a shot to help cut out the calories.  And I’m going to start walking again. Big plans, huh? We’ll see how it goes.
I didn’t get any really great pictures, but here’s one of all the grandkids.  
9ED57883-7794-4DC8-9C78-CBCA6E16B5F8.thumb.jpeg.548bd417a52d568465a71e6d51a9ab69.jpeg

They are all so adorable.   🥰

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We made it home from PA in record time tonight. Maybe folks are waiting until tomorrow to travel.
We had lots of laughs, card games and way too much delicious food.  Friday night we all went out to dinner, Saturday night was a parade of appetizers and a big brunch today.  Tomorrow I get back to healthy eating. I’m pretty sure I’ve put on 10lbs this holiday season. I’m also giving “dry January” a shot to help cut out the calories.  And I’m going to start walking again. Big plans, huh? We’ll see how it goes.
9ED57883-7794-4DC8-9C78-CBCA6E16B5F8.thumb.jpeg.548bd417a52d568465a71e6d51a9ab69.jpeg

Beautiful, Deb!  I see you got down on the floor as was suggested by Bob to get the picture of your little munchkins!💖. Now that my grandchildren are getting older, it's hard to get them all together.  For our "Cousin Christmas", our oldest grandson was still at College for his finals.  Our daughters wanted to take a picture of all the kids on my daughter's staircase to replicate one from when the kids were younger, so they set all the kids on the stairs in the same pose as when they were little, and our grandson Jack is going to "Photoshop" Chris into the picture for us.💕

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The history of the Mummer parade is quite interesting. 

http://quakercitystringband.com/a-history-of-mumming-how-the-mummers-got-here/

It is an all day event...lasts about 12 hours.  Each category string bands, fancy, fancy brigade and comics.   

Each group starts planning this week for their theme next new years day.  The amount of time each group spends on constructing their costumes, music and choreography is amazing.

Why don’t they televise this, instead of the boring Rose Parade!?!😹😹

• Like 3

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

I would like to do NYE in Times Square from a Ball Drop Room in the Marriott Marquis.  I actually started looking at it before the world shut down

There was nothing like Times Square in the early 60’s and in earlier days.It was safe to walk anywhere in Manhattan and ride the subway any hour of the night .With all the modern conveniences I rather be living in 1963 .

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Like the mirror? To small,to large or just right?

20230101_150224.jpg

Just right especially on top of the fireplace.  I agree with @Momof3gurlzDeb that a smaller mirror might look too small.  I would maybe place something larger on the left side of the mirror?

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I didn’t get any really great pictures, but here’s one of all the grandkids.  look 9ED57883-7794-4DC8-9C78-CBCA6E16B5F8.thumb.jpeg.548bd417a52d568465a71e6d51a9ab69.jpeg

You posted the best one!

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Just right especially on top of the fireplace.  I agree with @Momof3gurlzDeb that a smaller mirror might look too small.  I would maybe place something larger on the left side of the mirror?

That's my Mother-in-law and Father-in-law in an urn on the left side, I doubt my Wife is going to want to move that.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 6

We had the best time with our friends.  Dinner was great even though no chicken tetrazzini.  Pork roast with scalloped potatoes, broccoli, black eyed peas an apparent Southern New Year thing. 

Taken from google, my friend:

Why do we eat black-eyed peas on New Year's?
According to author and food scholar Adrian Miller, eating black eyed peas on New Years Eve or New Years Day promises good luck, health, and abundance

Everyone loved the desserts with the diabetics having my homemade loaf cake as well as the no sugar pie.  Pinot Grigio, a red wine (forgot the name) Moscato, tea, coffee and wonderful chat made the late afternoon perfect.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, taznremmy said:

Why don’t they televise this, instead of the boring Rose Parade!?!😹😹

Right?  How have I been alive for over half a century and I'm JUST NOW learning about this???

We all know about Mardi Gras krewes and the multiple fancy parades and specialty throws in addition to the beads -- why is the Mummers Parade not a thing people know about outside of that region? 

I have several friends who "do Mardi Gras" in New Orleans every year.  Some of them are krewe members and they ride on the floats and they pay THOUSANDS of dollars for the privilege every year, and others "just" attend the festivities with a different elaborate costume for every day of the week.  the Mummers Parade doesn't sound to be any different, so why don't we know about it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

Which is why I advise people to not have their dog's fur spun into yarn.  Lol

But I have an unending supply of it!!!

Black Labs have two shedding seasons per year, and each season lasts for six whole months.  I truly do not understand how they can lose a whole dog's worth of hair every single day and never go bald!!!

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The history of the Mummer parade is quite interesting. 

http://quakercitystringband.com/a-history-of-mumming-how-the-mummers-got-here/

It is an all day event...lasts about 12 hours.  Each category string bands, fancy, fancy brigade and comics.   

Each group starts planning this week for their theme next new years day.  The amount of time each group spends on constructing their costumes, music and choreography is amazing.

Miss watching that the last 2 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Sounds like a wonderful time and the lovely photo of the sweet grandkids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few photos from a gorgeous public holiday Monday in Sydney today.

Our wet dog in action at a harbourside park/beach in Mosman this morning (dogs permitted before 9am and after 4pm)6D3A2C01-D2C3-4EC1-81D0-39B67EBE509E.thumb.jpeg.d142b706e89d8b88a769329646b4f390.jpeg

2916AFA0-DE91-462B-9ECB-20D3E6920651.thumb.jpeg.cf3b4011a4c4097ad4cb0820c1a029b8.jpeg

07A509C9-227B-4731-9906-2FC56A878603.thumb.jpeg.42e5b1d8907ee6d8631702d07b4dbb49.jpeg

Followed by brunch with DD.  After three attempts, we finally found a cafe open today. French toast with seasonal fruit.  59AB1F65-55BA-4BF7-B8DF-33380BE626A0.thumb.jpeg.ed29dfb430f4783032e6fdd5ec7a185f.jpeg

Visited Dad in the the early afternoon.

His veggie patch yielding zucchini, cucumber and strawberries. Came home with large zucchini’s and more cucumbers.

19125417-EB6A-4EC0-9D11-8CAB26027405.thumb.jpeg.256a3860b7e25569e00ef3b3a56f0469.jpeg

7BD939C8-276B-4BDE-8ECF-4196F1FE682B.thumb.jpeg.e97fecee4eca78410208e92c7c94ec4c.jpeg

5E08F89A-1072-450A-A13D-08DF52A7014E.thumb.jpeg.07d6f1f9f29f73791d18ade273bb438d.jpeg

B8FAB372-BAC8-4531-A801-A46860D3B7FD.thumb.jpeg.55ad1db0cf244a1c85dac2fbd1440a7c.jpeg

Late afternoon walk, the suburbs are a sea of purple right now.E687192F-BFC3-46DF-976F-3B8240CC2141.thumb.jpeg.f06b5022a2c863fb3d99ae4d5124e053.jpeg

Hope you all have a nice day.

• Like 20

On 1/1/2023 at 12:00 AM, Jimbo said:

Turn on BBC World News, 12 minute fireworks display, largest in Europe

Show Big Ben chiming !

Amazing  Music  & Fireworks Display !!!

Nice tribute  to Queen Elizabeth II

I don't think anything tonight will top that show !!

That ending was crazy good !

Just read an article about the drones show. It was pretty cool and I think will become bigger and better next year. 

Nice to hear Big Ben working properly again after its five years restoration 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There was nothing like Times Square in the early 60’s and in earlier days.It was safe to walk anywhere in Manhattan and ride the subway any hour of the night .With all the modern conveniences I rather be living in 1963 .

It was pretty safe when Giuliani was mayor too.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

I have several friends who "do Mardi Gras" in New Orleans every year.  

I love New Orleans but don't think I'd want to be there for Mardi Gras any more than I'd want to be in Time Square for New Years Eve.

• Like 9

This is a good day, because any day you wake up to a beach sunrise, it is a good day. 

6C57605D-D1EA-454E-BFAC-E7D1AB2C051E.thumb.jpeg.380c541ec6124b50565e184932c7f628.jpeg

There are even a few remnants of our sculptures still relatively intact.

A812F47E-792F-4776-951D-05A6400F6EA6.thumb.jpeg.2128c08366149bc43e1c39ba2c5295fd.jpeg

C7B4606B-5FA1-4D5C-B052-20F7D85A4359.thumb.jpeg.a17f4bc3d8413abde2394c83f6e8549d.jpeg

This is also a sad day.  Had it been different times, we would have checked out of our house this morning and boarded Liberty for a short cruise, then boarded Harmony for that 8 day southern. 

But times are different, and we are packed and making the drive back north to see our daughter through the rest of her journey.  It was a good trip for her, even though she could not use the pool or hot tub, or go in the ocean.  And, they are already looking forward to next year.  

Hoping the only traffic jams we see the next few days are those headed south. 

• Like 31

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Right?  How have I been alive for over half a century and I'm JUST NOW learning about this???

We all know about Mardi Gras krewes and the multiple fancy parades and specialty throws in addition to the beads -- why is the Mummers Parade not a thing people know about outside of that region? 

I have several friends who "do Mardi Gras" in New Orleans every year.  Some of them are krewe members and they ride on the floats and they pay THOUSANDS of dollars for the privilege every year, and others "just" attend the festivities with a different elaborate costume for every day of the week.  the Mummers Parade doesn't sound to be any different, so why don't we know about it?

Good question.  I wondered if others outside of this region knew about it.   Shame to hear it isn't known. 

Next New Years Day I will try to remind everyone to look for it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

This is a good day, because any day you wake up to a beach sunrise, it is a good day. 

6C57605D-D1EA-454E-BFAC-E7D1AB2C051E.thumb.jpeg.380c541ec6124b50565e184932c7f628.jpeg

There are even a few remnants of our sculptures still relatively intact.

A812F47E-792F-4776-951D-05A6400F6EA6.thumb.jpeg.2128c08366149bc43e1c39ba2c5295fd.jpeg

C7B4606B-5FA1-4D5C-B052-20F7D85A4359.thumb.jpeg.a17f4bc3d8413abde2394c83f6e8549d.jpeg

This is also a sad day.  Had it been different times, we would have checked out of our house this morning and boarded Liberty for a short cruise, then boarded Harmony for that 8 day southern. 

But times are different, and we are packed and making the drive back north to see our daughter through the rest of her journey.  It was a good trip for her, even though she could not use the pool or hot tub, or go in the ocean.  And, they are already looking forward to next year.  

Hoping the only traffic jams we see the next few days are those headed south. 

It was wonderful that everyone was able to be there for the past week.  Lots of fun memories for all.

Your family makes the best sand art😃

Being at the beach with feet in sand and watching the water helps heal our souls.  

Someday soon your Daughter will be well again🙏

Safe travels home 🥰

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It was wonderful that everyone was able to be there for the past week.  Lots of fun memories for all.

Your family makes the best sand art😃

Being at the beach with feet in sand and watching the water helps heal our souls.  

Someday soon your Daughter will be well again🙏

Safe travels home 🥰

So beautifully "said".

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Beautiful, Deb!  I see you got down on the floor as was suggested by Bob to get the picture of your little munchkins!💖. Now that my grandchildren are getting older, it's hard to get them all together.  For our "Cousin Christmas", our oldest grandson was still at College for his finals.  Our daughters wanted to take a picture of all the kids on my daughter's staircase to replicate one from when the kids were younger, so they set all the kids on the stairs in the same pose as when they were little, and our grandson Jack is going to "Photoshop" Chris into the picture for us.💕

I’m sure the new staircase photo will be great Maryann. Great idea to photoshop Chris into the shot.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1