Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 1/11/2023 at 6:12 PM, grapau27 said:

Good evening it is 23.09pm.

We have been at 2 hospitals today with our Sarah for over 11 hours.

Her diagnosis is a slipped disc in her spine pressing on a nerve with fluid leaking.

She had an x-ray at one hospital and the doctor sent us to the regional Major hospital where she had a CT scan and MRI scan.

They can’t do it at the same hospital? Hope she’s feeling better soon.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We wanted to order Airtags before our next cruise.  I looked at Amazon Prime and it said I wouldn't get them until the 25th.  To late.  I then checked out Walmart.  I ordered them Monday and they cam in yesterday! Same price.  Glad I checked there.  

I saw that DNA tests from Ancestry.com were on sale at Christmas.  (I'm adopted and there is some discrepancy/drama over who my bio-father might have been.)

Same price at Walmart.com as at Ancestry.com, but shipping was free from Walmart.... that was a no-brainer!

• Like 5

Does anyone’s kids or grandkids do B-Reel?  It’s an app where your phone sends you an alert each day and you take a selfie of yourself and whoever you are with at that exact moment and post it online to your chosen group of friends.

My “kids” do it.  DD loves it for seeing her friend’s cats each day 

I love it because DD sends me the photo DS posts each day in Canada with the comment “mum, here is your “proof of life”!

• Haha 8

On 1/11/2023 at 10:16 AM, derorim said:

A while back I posted a picture of Andy in our driveway with the big B-24 RC plane he built.  He hadn't flown it yet, and I promised to post a video when he did.  I'm a little late in doing that, but I guess better late than never.  In June he and a very experienced RC pilot took it up for its maiden flight, and flew it four times.  Andy was understandably nervous about it, and so was I.  He built the plane over a span of 12 years, and it was finally ready.  It was an exciting day, and the plane flew beautifully.  Here are a few videos.

When he starts the props, I sometimes look away.  It scares me.

Andy asked his friend to fly it first.  It was a beautiful sight to see it in the air.

Taking off is optional; landing is mandatory.

Andy's flown it several times since, but a problem with the retractable landing gear recently resulted in some damage to the wing.  No problem, Andy is building a new wing, better than before.  This time, he's designing it on the computer and cutting parts out with his CNC router.  

image.thumb.jpeg.bfa58c5d9be943b184146bc7f7f9600a.jpeg

Now you know what he does all day. His skill, patience and perseverance amaze me.

image.thumb.jpeg.124e3e91e491701c0761fa7ca1a2b5e7.jpeg

My dad was really into model airplanes. When he had the house built he had a room dedicated just for his models. They were really big. He made them so each wing came off so he could bring them inside to hang them on the walls. Growing up I also used to go to the fields or shows with him. Mike never got into them.

• Like 5

@Sea Dog Greg- I realize that you truly enjoy celebrating Christmas,but there is a saying- Less is more.

As we get older,we need to consider our energy levels,physical strength and ability to do certain tasks that came easy to us at a younger age.

My hubby is 71 and no longer does household maintenance that requires standing on a tall ladder or working on his knees. For years he maintained our gardens and stained/painted our house. He took a lot of pride in how he kept our house and property in excellent condition. Back and knee issues got him to adjust his thoughts about taking care of the house and property.

About ten years ago, we changed the deck to Trex material with vinyl railings and had the house done with vinyl siding. We hired a landscaper and a lawn care company. We have had a painter do some interior work and exterior trim work. 

As we say- the most useful tool in our house is the phone !

The idea of getting a younger person,either your son or someone interested in the job of decorating your home is a good one.

In our neighborhood, there are landscaping /decorating companies that will decorate private homes for the holidays. That may be something you could look into.

Or, you could go through your myriad decoration collection and possibly sell some of the items or donate them where others could enjoy them. 

Please don’t take my post as telling you what to do,but just some thoughtful suggestions after reading your post about putting all your decorations away - an awesome job.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

My 2 Christmas trees are still up. Might come down this weekend. 

But I did take down the outside Christmas lights.  A few neighbors still have them up. 

I took my outside lights down a few days ago.  But, as you said, some of the neighbors still have them up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

They can’t do it at the same hospital? Hope she’s feeling better soon.

They are usually done by appointment with 6 month's wait.

As it was an emergency they fitted the scans where they could.

The 2 hospitals are only 5 miles apart so no problems as I was driving.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MJSailors said:

As we get older,we need to consider our energy levels,physical strength and ability to do certain tasks that came easy to us at a younger age.

My hubby is 71 and no longer does household maintenance that requires standing on a tall ladder or working on his knees.

Now you are making me feel old.  Everyone ages at different rates, so as they say, age is just a number.  I prefer to look at my biological age, instead of my chronological age, because it says I am really 10 years younger. 

I haven’t given up on any of those house maintenance chores yet.  I am a big proponent of trying to stay active and healthy.  It helps when you have a group supporting and encouraging your activity levels and completing every day.  That is one reason I love my activity tracker. 

My day yesterday. 

A448D53F-06B7-4D6A-B554-34B084F37AAA.thumb.jpeg.ccac68177e90725c8c5873f2d4e2373d.jpeg

I have been doing this every day for 7 years, and it does make you feel younger. 

• Like 13

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

My dad was really into model airplanes. When he had the house built he had a room dedicated just for his models. They were really big. He made them so each wing came off so he could bring them inside to hang them on the walls. Growing up I also used to go to the fields or shows with him. Mike never got into them.

That is really neat and you must have lovely memories of the time you spent with him.  

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 2:12 AM, Bailey & Sophie said:

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

My aunt died a few weeks ago (90 yo) and left a house full of traveling treasures. I don't know how many HAL world cruises they were on but there were several.

My 2 cousins are executors (glad it's not me) and are going through the house before it goes up for sale.

I've been trying to help as I can with items that have antique value, but this has me puzzled. I think she bought it in the Middle East by the inscriptions. Can anyone help? 

Sorry for the loss of your Aunt.   May she RIP🙏

That's wonderful that she was able to cruise the world and enjoy life.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Test -- I'm trying to post a video of DH trying his best to comply with the kids' requirements of "hand made pasta".... If the experiment will succeed, he will proceed to find more suitable tools instead of just hangers....

IMG_7391.MOV 24.17 MB · 1 download

Ooohh..looks delicious😀

On 1/11/2023 at 11:12 PM, grapau27 said:

Good evening it is 23.09pm.

We have been at 2 hospitals today with our Sarah for over 11 hours.

Her diagnosis is a slipped disc in her spine pressing on a nerve with fluid leaking.

She had an x-ray at one hospital and the doctor sent us to the regional Major hospital where she had a CT scan and MRI scan.

Sorry to hear Graham. Hoping for a positive outcome for Sarah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had Indian takeout for dinner tonight at DD’s request.  Indian cuisine is a rare treat for me.  I chose Dates & Apricot Kofta - a vegetarian dish - mix of dates, apricots and potato dumplings in a rich onion cashew gravy.   It was delicious.  DD tells me the restaurant is very popular with her friends.  I think I need to try more Indian dishes.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, derorim said:

You need handwarmers in Florida?  🙂 

Unfortunately, yes.  We're in the upper northeast corner where winters will dip into the 40s, or occasionally even the 30s.  I use them when playing golf in cold weather.  Looks like it will be around 40F when I tee off early Monday morning. 😧  It was in the 70s yesterday and will be again in a few days.

IMG_0049.thumb.PNG.23f3d61423d8876aee24fab6925b267b.PNG

• Like 7

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Sad news Lisa Marie Presley died last night aged 54 RIP.

Very sad.  She lost her son in 2020 to suicide. Both deaths tragedies.  I cringed hitting the "like" button on your post because of the sad content.  

Continued prayers for your Sarah.

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Test -- I'm trying to post a video of DH trying his best to comply with the kids' requirements of "hand made pasta".... If the experiment will succeed, he will proceed to find more suitable tools instead of just hangers....

IMG_7391.MOV 24.17 MB · 2 downloads

Pasta looks wonderful.  Hangers are an ingenious idea.

• Thanks 2