Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Here are a few of the before pictures taken when the outside deck was removed and house structure damage over time. 

Soon. As the finished repairs are completed. I will share after. 

93250FE3-8CA0-461A-9EBE-0FFD51626E93.thumb.jpeg.a6b54bcf8356811792ed5ea23bc42329.jpeg

E48232C4-5290-4452-B3AF-D4EE1422DF6F.thumb.jpeg.6c3c2145e6256c370f8cf11400bd0ef3.jpeg

2B9313E6-B7ED-45B4-BED5-F42E908D98AD.thumb.jpeg.be6fc4a5b570f07d4c3c9d5f269a11c8.jpeg

Not able to post picture of carpenter ants residence due to chemical warfare and re located to the woods. 

Always something. 

Be safe. 

• Like 7

On 3/3/2023 at 9:28 AM, brillohead said:

DNA update:

I contacted my suspected half-brother on Wednesday afternoon.  He was floored.  I found out that one of his uncles was in this area at the time of my conception, so there's a possibility we're cousins instead of half-siblings.  (His other uncle isn't a possibility for my birthfather, because I got a DNA match of "cousin" with that uncle's daughter -- if it was him, we'd have matched as half-siblings instead.)  I ordered him a DNA kit, it should arrive on Monday, so hopefully within 3-4 weeks we'll know for sure.  

I actually kinda hope he's my cousin instead of brother, because his uncle is still alive and would happily accept me as his daughter, whereas my suspected brother's father passed away in 2016. The way my suspected brother put it, however long it takes to drive from Alabama to my house is how long it would take for me to get a knock on my front door if we find out it's his uncle who is my father.  

Either way, I have an aunt who lives about ten miles away from me, and a bunch of cousins and second cousins.  My paternal grandfather was one of at least 8 kids, and he had at least 10 kids with three wives.  My paternal grandmother was one of 12 kids, and she had at least 5 kids with two husbands.  So I have roughly eleventy bazillion cousins, second cousins, third cousins, etc. 

With such huge families on both my grandfather's and my grandmother's sides, it makes a lot more sense why out of the 70K matches off my DNA, 48K are from my paternal DNA and only 19K are from my maternal DNA!

And no matter which of the brothers is my father, it appears that I'm going to be welcomed into the family by pretty much everyone.  I've already been told that I'm coming to the family reunion in June!  LOL  My suspected brother has told me that he wants to get to know me, whether I'm his sister or his cousin.  ❤️

All in all, this is about the best outcome I could have hoped for. So many adoptees (or even just people who find out from DNA that they have a different blood family.... lots of people are discovering through DNA tests that their father wasn't really their father) get the cold shoulder when they try to make contact with their relatives.  Even in my own case, my aunts (my birthmother's sisters) have been more welcoming and accepting of me than the woman who carried me.  

So it will be about a month until we know for sure which is my father, but everyone says that they can tell by my pictures that I'm definitely one of the family.  After five decades of not belonging and not being wanted (my adoptive family put the "fun" in "dysfunctional"), it sure does put a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart to "belong" somewhere.  

<<< We now return you to your previously scheduled programming, already in progress. Further updates as events warrant. >>> 

Beautiful outcome. Well done on being so brave to follow it through.  Sounds like a wonderful ending 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not exactly the same. Shrimp is probably somewhat more healthy for you than bacon.

Wasn't talking about which food is better for  you health wise. Was talking about which foods I could eat forever every single day and still be happy. 🙂

• Like 5

Most know I recently lost my mom and my dad was not long ago. I bought a smallish ocean front condo in cape Canaveral with the idea I would move there when they passed away. Now I'm not sure I can get my stuff and my quilt inheritance into 2 bedrooms. I am driving from dallas to cinn maybe june when I hope my broken wrist is better and I can drive 2 handed with a full car load to share quilt tops and all with my cousin who has sent my mom lots of nice prints for quilts. I got a cousin in new mexico who I probably will share with too. I gave the house to my sister nd bil as I want to live on the ocean.

I'm thinking I need to stay here to get the tax stuff 1099s from before mom died. My bil isnt trust worthy. I've been so busy getting hold of everyone and my bil was like a bull rampaging thru the house and I kept having to run over to grab more and more quilts. I always told mom the quilts were my inheritance. ...though maybe not 50 boxes or more. 

Picture 1 right to left, is a favorite geometric design, folded so you cant really appreciate, a scalloped edge quilt and a american flag quilt. 2 is my kitchen I cant get out the sliding doors to my backyard. 30 boxes at least. 3 is my bedroom, was where I kept my half packed cruise suitcase. Mostly what I call quilt tops, the top of a finished quilt without the backing. When she would give one away then she would attach the backing. Ran out of space in her large 4 bedroom to store. She did all the famous ones, from log cabin to Irish wedding chain. I said no way I'm allowing any quilts to be sold in a garage sale. My bil said once was it ok to combine boxes of half finished quilts and slap a $10 price tag. He sold the rest of their stuff. I kept the quilts. 2nd picture kitchen is 3 to 5 high stacked boxes, stacked 3 deep. .lots!

So should i buy another 3 bedroom place .. use 2nd bedroom for storage, no room for guests even if I pare down and share with relatives who know a box of quilts is worth more than $10. I havent set a date to move. 

20230304_152145.jpg

20230304_152229.jpg

20230304_152307.jpg

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 17

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Most know I recently lost my mom and my dad was not long ago. I bought a smallish ocean front condo in cape Canaveral with the idea I would move there when they passed away. Now I'm not sure I can get my stuff and my quilt inheritance into 2 bedrooms. I am driving from dallas to cinn maybe june when I hope my broken wrist is better and I can drive 2 handed with a full car load to share quilt tops and all with my cousin who has sent my mom lots of nice prints for quilts. I got a cousin in new mexico who I probably will share with too. I gave the house to my sister nd bil as I want to live on the ocean.

I'm thinking I need to stay here to get the tax stuff 1099s from before mom died. My bil isnt trust worthy. I've been so busy getting hold of everyone and my bil was like a bull rampaging thru the house and I kept having to run over to grab more and more quilts. I always told mom the quilts were my inheritance. ...though maybe not 50 boxes or more. 

Picture 1 right to left, is a favorite geometric design, folded so you cant really appreciate, a scalloped edge quilt and a american flag quilt. 2 is my kitchen I cant get out the sliding doors to my backyard. 30 boxes at least. 3 is my bedroom, was where I kept my half packed cruise suitcase. Mostly what I call quilt tops, the top of a finished quilt without the backing. When she would give one away then she would attach the backing. Ran out of space in her large 4 bedroom to store. She did all the famous ones, from log cabin to Irish wedding chain. I said no way I'm allowing any quilts to be sold in a garage sale. My bil said once was it ok to combine boxes of half finished quilts and slap a $10 price tag. He sold the rest of their stuff. I kept the quilts. 2nd picture kitchen is 3 to 5 high stacked boxes, stacked 3 deep. .lots!

So should i buy another 3 bedroom place .. use 2nd bedroom for storage, no room for guests even if I pare down and share with relatives who know a box of quilts is worth more than $10. I havent set a date to move. 

20230304_152145.jpg

20230304_152229.jpg

20230304_152307.jpg

Those are all beautiful quilts and quilt tops.  My thoughts (being a fiber artist I appreciate the value of the quilts) is to keep the 2 bedroom condo.  It is the one you already own and loved enough to want to live there.  I would give the cousins the quilts that they will appreciate.  I would pick out the quilts that give you happy memories of your mom.  If you don't have much art on the walls then use the quilts as artwork.  There are many ways to display and hang them.  You can also have a cedar chest at the foot of each bed full of quilts that you can change out as the seasons change.  Then you can always throw a couple over a sofa or chair.  This will get a lot of the quilts out of the boxes.  If there is a top you want to keep reach out to a quilt guild to find someone to finish it for you.  Keeping the rest of the quilts in boxes in a spare bedroom is not going to give you joy but cause you stress.  You could reach out to quilt guilds to get ideas on how to sell/donate etc. the quilts/tops you don't want.  There are also auction houses that specialize in quilts.  

My husband restores farm equipment as a hobby.  Over the years several of his friends have passed, leaving behind large collections of farm equipment.  Some of the widows are hesitant to sell at auction because the auction house takes a percentage, so now the equipment is rusting away in a shed someplace.  Even if only breaks even at auction, the person who bought the equipment in the first place had the joy of owning it, fixing it up and showing it, now it can go someplace else to be enjoyed all over again and not just gathering dust/rust in the dark.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

20230304_152145.jpg

20230304_152229.jpg

20230304_152307.jpg

Beautiful quilts, if you have any that are patriotic such as the flag ones and want to donate Quilts of Valor is always looking for more.  They provide to veterans as a way of saying welcome home and thank you for your service.  There website is qovf.org lots of great info there.

BTW I haven't started packing yet either and we leave Friday 🙃.

15 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Those are all beautiful quilts and quilt tops.  My thoughts (being a fiber artist I appreciate the value of the quilts) is to keep the 2 bedroom condo.  It is the one you already own and loved enough to want to live there.  I would give the cousins the quilts that they will appreciate.  I would pick out the quilts that give you happy memories of your mom.  If you don't have much art on the walls then use the quilts as artwork.  There are many ways to display and hang them.  You can also have a cedar chest at the foot of each bed full of quilts that you can change out as the seasons change.  Then you can always throw a couple over a sofa or chair.  This will get a lot of the quilts out of the boxes.  If there is a top you want to keep reach out to a quilt guild to find someone to finish it for you.  Keeping the rest of the quilts in boxes in a spare bedroom is not going to give you joy but cause you stress.  You could reach out to quilt guilds to get ideas on how to sell/donate etc. the quilts/tops you don't want.  There are also auction houses that specialize in quilts.  

My husband restores farm equipment as a hobby.  Over the years several of his friends have passed, leaving behind large collections of farm equipment.  Some of the widows are hesitant to sell at auction because the auction house takes a percentage, so now the equipment is rusting away in a shed someplace.  Even if only breaks even at auction, the person who bought the equipment in the first place had the joy of owning it, fixing it up and showing it, now it can go someplace else to be enjoyed all over again and not just gathering dust/rust in the dark.  

I agree although haven't done it myself.  My mother did a lot of needlepoint which was just about all that was on the walls as I was growing up.  When my parents passed my brother took a few but nobody else wanted any.  I have them all, framed, under beds, in closets etc as they don't go in my house at all. Hate to give them up and not really sure who would want them but really do need to figure out what to do with them.  

Edited by akcruz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Here are a few of the before pictures taken when the outside deck was removed and house structure damage over time. 

Soon. As the finished repairs are completed. I will share after. 

93250FE3-8CA0-461A-9EBE-0FFD51626E93.thumb.jpeg.a6b54bcf8356811792ed5ea23bc42329.jpeg

E48232C4-5290-4452-B3AF-D4EE1422DF6F.thumb.jpeg.6c3c2145e6256c370f8cf11400bd0ef3.jpeg

2B9313E6-B7ED-45B4-BED5-F42E908D98AD.thumb.jpeg.be6fc4a5b570f07d4c3c9d5f269a11c8.jpeg

Not able to post picture of carpenter ants residence due to chemical warfare and re located to the woods. 

Always something. 

Be safe. 

Wow!   That sure is a lot of damage, good thing it was discovered now before it got any worse.

• Like 2