Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I wish I didn’t have to rely on th elevators but I will have to use them extensively on our October cruise as my left knee just can’t do well on stairs unless I do on stair at a time with my other knee. I look weird doing stairs that way. Takes me forever.

I understand. Just try to avoid crowded ones. I'm not upset that I got covid. It didn't affect the cruise though it affected getting back to work after having taken time off. I'm very happy to have some natural immunity now. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I got complacent on that cruise. I had done two cruises after the reopening and did fine. I let my guard down on the third and did use the elevators. That won't happen this coming February.

I find it a lot harder to use the stairs all the time on the larger ships since going from deck 6 to deck 17 is a lot of stairs!  We will use the stairs almost exclusively since we will be on a smaller ship in a few weeks, but I am also considering masking on elevators if I need to take one.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear you missed CocoCay.   I guess third times a charm didnt work for you.

We went to the beach club and had a really nice day.  

We also had a great day in Bonaire.  

Debbie, what did you do while in Bonaire?  The excursion Sue and Gary did sounds good.  We may try that when there in March.  I still have to order the full-face snorkel mask.

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

When I was a kid in NYC, I remember our local pharmacist always took splinters out of our fingers.  Can you imagine that happening now?

I never heard of Tylenol with Codeine.  I've only encountered prescription Tylenol 3.  More times than I care to remember.

Oops I meant I never hear of Tylenol with Caffeine.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear you missed CocoCay.   I guess third times a charm didnt work for you.

We went to the beach club and had a really nice day.  

We also had a great day in Bonaire.  

We also had Beach Club booked, but it was not meant to be.  Maybe next time.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

I have used up the 1500 of dental insurance I have , might put off the procedure until January, we also have a health account that at least pays medical and dental bills before taxes.

Both Jack and I used up our $2,000 annual allowance each for this year.  That's $4,000 we didn't have to pay out of pocket.  Like you, Jack is waiting until Jan. for further dental work.  We're grateful that the Dental benefit doesn't change in 2024.

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@BonTexasNY  I hope all goes well for you tomorrow, Bonnie.  🤞

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear this😥

51 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

That sounds awful! I’m so sorry.

Thanks Maryann, Debbie, Bethany.

My Oral Surgeon called early evening to see how I was feeling.  That never happened before with any doctor/dentist.  I've had someone from the office call during business hours, but this personal call was much appreciated.

Regarding elevators, I have slight mobility issues and mostly rely on elevators.  Long wait for them on Oasis Bella cruise.  I walked with a cane and there were very rude people who pushed past me when the elevator arrived even though we were in front of the elevator.  I've seen people do that to folks in wheelchairs. 

Someone I met on a cruise told me when you press the elevator button, only one elevator is programmed to stop on your floor.  I was told it's why elevators pass your floor without stopping.  Does anyone know if this is true?

• Like 4

On 9/26/2023 at 7:29 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I need to stop multitasking when I post on these boards. This is really embarrassing. Don't want to say who I was thinking about.🫤

Truthfully, your advice can apply to maybe most of us on CC. We need to travel, go, see, while we can.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That's horrible they didn't help with luggage or provide a Cart, especially when you're  sick.

Did the crew and immigration/customs people have masks on?

How are you feeling now?   

I heard there were some covid positive on our sailing too.  No idea how many.  Guess it will be a regular thing every fall like flu season.

The lady came up to get us had no cart,a cart wouldn't had worked anyway because by the time they had come to get us the crew had those red bags full of sheets and towels striping the cabin. Luckily I had a large suitcase where I was able to strap the third large bag had to. But I was still struggling to roll the bags over and around all those red bags in hallway.

So it was dragging the bags from our cabin to the forward elevators,down to Deck 5 to the conference room.

After being pictured and showing our passports to the Unmasked immigration personel,by the way Royals crew in the conference room was also unmasked.

Then back elevator to Deck 2 to be dumped outside. We were closer to the teardrop and had to roll all our bags to the pick up area for users and taxis with no help from Royal.

So unorganized ,was like this was the first time they have ever done this.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mets07 said:

The entire departure for Jewel was long at Bayonne today. Everyone had to show their passports (vs. facial recognition), however they also pointed cameras at everyone's faces. Not sure why this was going on vs. normal quick facial recognition process. 

@Jimbo hope you guys feel better soon. I did not hear one word of Covid on ship until I saw your report on Cruise Critic.

It's not like Royal was going to announce  it but there was lots of people hacking and coughing in the shows and Windjammer,there was about 30 people in the conference room that went down to medical.

I'm sure there were lots more that had covid but never went down to medical that were positive.

For us it was just the one night quarantined,many others were for 5 days and were confirmed right after the last Greenland stop,they never touched the ground  at St.Johns,Newfoundland 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

The lady came up to get us had no cart,a cart wouldn't had worked anyway because by the time they had come to get us the crew had those red bags full of sheets and towels striping the cabin. Luckily I had a large suitcase where I was able to strap the third large bag had to. But I was still struggling to roll the bags over and around all those red bags in hallway.

So it was dragging the bags from our cabin to the forward elevators,down to Deck 5 to the conference room.

After being pictured and showing our passports to the Unmasked immigration personel,by the way Royals crew in the conference room was also unmasked.

Then back elevator to Deck 2 to be dumped outside. We were closer to the teardrop and had to roll all our bags to the pick up area for users and taxis with no help from Royal.

So unorganize,was like this was the first time they have ever done this.

Totally unacceptable.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Totally unacceptable.

It's was weird because you would think they would want to keep us away from other passengers buy there we were waiting for elevators to go down on deck 8 to get to Deck 5. We were right there with everyone else,staging area was coral theater  for people with numbers.

Original Plan for us we had was to put our 3 large suit out hallway and pick them up in terminal.But on the end because of covid we ended up pretty much doing self assitance,and this was done feeling like crap.

We drove 285 miles today to a hotel in Winchester,Virginia.    Tommorow we will finish the drive back home.(about 245 miles to go. I pretty much haven't slept  in 2 days because I wear a cpap over my nose and mouth,makes it difficult because my nose is running so much and coughing. I have to wear the cpap otherwise My Wife can't sleep because of my snoring.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It's was weird because you would think they would want to keep us away from other passengers buy there we were waiting for elevators to go down on deck 8 to get to Deck 5. We were right there with everyone else,staging area was coral theater  for people with numbers.

Original Plan for us we had was to put our 3 large suit out hallway and pick them up in terminal.But on the end because of covid we ended up pretty much doing self assitance,and this was done feeling like crap.

We drove 285 miles today to a hotel in Winchester,Virginia.    Tommorow we will finish the drive back home.(about 245 miles to go. I pretty much haven't slept  in 2 days because I wear a cpap over my nose and mouth,makes it difficult because my nose is running so much and coughing. I have to wear the cpap otherwise My Wife can't sleep because of my snoring.

Your bed is going to feel sooo good tomorrow!  Safe drive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I got complacent on that cruise. I had done two cruises after the reopening and did fine. I let my guard down on the third and did use the elevators. That won't happen this coming February.

I won't have a choice next week.  I have been using the elevators already.   I caught covid once after a cruise but I am sure I caught it will riding home for 2 hours with 2 others in the car that had covid.  I am not concerned catching it any longer.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

Your bed is going to feel sooo good tomorrow!  Safe drive.

You got that right! In hindsight maybe we should rode all the way today,but not knowing exactly how we would feel we booked this hotel. 

My Wife is sleeping now. I'm sitting here in the dark eating potatoes chips hoping the salt  on the chopsvwill calm down my thought.  My Wife is doing much better then me because of a comprised immune system her Doctor gave her some meds to take on the cruise.

Tried to get something from My Doctor and said he couldn't do it..Said just go to medical.onboard

Well that didn't go well. Medical gave me cough drops and what seems like Alka seltzer  and some king of allergy medicine.

20230927_201311.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

On 9/26/2023 at 10:34 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks Mimi!  We cruise the 2nd.  I am actually renting an electronic wheelchair called Whills.  It is one that @brillohead Debbi recommended.   I am looking forward to using it.

Speaking of electronic wheelchairs, my new electronic wheelchair was delivered to the house today!  I love it! It can do a 360⁰ tight turn.  It is narrow and gets around the house easy!  I was able to ride it down to the garden.  I took it out front to the street and it was so fast my hair blew back some.  They say the battery last for about 14 miles.  It also let's you raise the chair up to 12 inches, an option called iLevel.  I felt like it was higher.  I will be able to talk eye to eye with people. 

20230926_145851.thumb.jpg.b5651d10dc1666ea169508a2d3c49acc.jpg

The chair looks great.  I love the idea of ilevel.  So important.  Keep doing those 360 degree twirls. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George C said:

Considering a rise in Covid do you think they will require shots and boosters again, it wouldn’t bother me .

Covid has evolved. I don't think people are afraid of it in its present form and I don't foresee cruise lines going back to prior mandates but only time will tell.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I won't have a choice next week.  I have been using the elevators already.   I caught covid once after a cruise but I am sure I caught it will riding home for 2 hours with 2 others in the car that had covid.  I am not concerned catching it any longer.  

I'm not afraid to catch it but I could do without the nuisance and inconvenience 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not afraid to catch it but I could do without the nuisance and inconvenience 

I have given up worrying.  I have a friend who travels a lot.  She has had Covid 5 times.  Apparently none of these bouts have been more than a nuisance for her.    She shares her house with her family, they including her Pilot husband have not caught it. 

no rhyme or reason 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It's not like Royal was going to announce  it but there was lots of people hacking and coughing in the shows and Windjammer,there was about 30 people in the conference room that went down to medical.

I'm sure there were lots more that had covid but never went down to medical that were positive.

For us it was just the one night quarantined,many others were for 5 days and were confirmed right after the last Greenland stop,they never touched the ground  at St.Johns,Newfoundland 

For whatever reason, we only heard normal coughing here and there, but I don't doubt your experience and hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I still have to order the full-face snorkel mask.

I'd suggest doing some research before ordering a full-face mask.  We asked about them on a snorkel excursion somewhere (might have been Woodwind in Bonaire) and were told that they don't use those masks.  If you are snorkeling for a longer period of time, carbon dioxide can build up in the mask.  

Full-face snorkel mask causes IPO fatality - DIVE Magazine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3