Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

So when is the normal snowbird migration south?  We are starting our drive on December 13, and should be going through the narrow I-26 portion on the 14th.

I think you and Susan should be fine, Mark.  I think the heavy traffic is closer to New Years, when those that are renters want to be in Florida for the 1st of the Year.  Last year we left home on the 29th, since our daughter, SIL and grandchildren were staying at our Condo until New Years Eve.   They flew home that morning, and we arrived that afternoon.  We were in the midst of snowbird traffic, along with traffic accidents, etc.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,definitely .The actors are very good especially Stephen Graham who was one of the stars of Boardwalk Empire and Shira Haas.

Stephen Graham is very good in anything he appears.  The Israeli actress is good too.  Now want to watch her previous show that she was in Unorthodox.

Thanks for the recommendation for Bodies.  Only up to episode 3 but wholly agree @bobmacliberty

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

So when is the normal snowbird migration south?  We are starting our drive on December 13, and should be going through the narrow I-26 portion on the 14th.

My Boss lives on a lake in Maine from April or May to early November then migrates to Florida for November to April

They take a leisurely drive as they have 2 dogs in the car and neither of them like to drive at night anymore.  Usually get there in 3.5 to 4 days.

Stops in the office 2 or 3 times a year for a couple of days each time.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

We are in the sticks, north of Pittsburgh.  Far enough to be in that dreaded Lake Effect snow zone. 

So you come down 77 to 81 to 77 to 26. I'm very close to where when you get off 77 and then onto 81 for short time.

When you get off 81 and  take exit 81 on 81 to 77, we are near exit 86 north on 81.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So you come down 77 to 81 to 77 to 26. I'm very close to where when you get off 77 and then onto 81 for short time.

When you get off 81 and  take exit 81 on 81 to 77, we are near exit 86 north on 81.

That’s right.  We drive right by you almost, if you are off 81. 

We usually make Elkin, NC as our stop for our first day going south.  Nice hotel there, nice seafood restaurant, and we make it early enough to hike a trail in Elkin to get our daily exercise.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Stephen Graham is very good in anything he appears.  The Israeli actress is good too.  Now want to watch her previous show that she was in Unorthodox.

Thanks for the recommendation for Bodies.  Only up to episode 3 but wholly agree @bobmacliberty

Unorthodox is excellent .A book that I read has a similiar plot to Unorthodox.It takes place a few blocks from where I grew up.It is Leaving Eastern Parkway by Matthew Daub.I e-mailed the author to tell him that I enjoyed the book and found out that we have mutual acquaintances.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I know you don't want to drag this out so if you choose to not reply to my question so the topic goes away, I'm okay with that. It's all good.

When you say "on here",  do you mean CC in general or Dani's thread specifically?  Or on a cruise ship?

I'm just being nosy as I'm sometimes oblivious to what is going on around me. No harm, no foul if you rather not elaborate. I'm not looking for you to name names. 🙂

I missed everything about Bonnie's card player. and someone not being nice to NHProud because of ethnicity. I am so sorry that this happened. Posts are removed (I think?). Anyways, hugs to Bonnie and NH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That’s right.  We drive right by you almost, if you are off 81. 

We usually make Elkin, NC as our stop for our first day going south.  Nice hotel there, nice seafood restaurant, and we make it early enough to hike a trail in Elkin to get our daily exercise.  

That's correct, to bad you aren't coming through now, it's a beautiful drive through West Virginia right now on 77 with all the leaves changing now. on all those valleys and mountains.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

And how usual is that?

AND you get drenched in slush when cars pass you.

@bobmacliberty Your NYC plans sound fabulous, best part is the Billy Joel concert.  I haven't been back in "the city" for many years. 

If weather permits, I would walk along the Highline, meander thru South Street Seaport in Lower Manhattan, maybe a visit to the Met for some culture.

I remember HBE4 posted some neat NYC spots a while ago.  Maybe he can repost?

Gosh, I didn't think any of my posts where that memorable.  LOL. Thank you!  Are you sure you don't have me confused with @singinalot? 😉  I

I'll see if I can find what I posted as most of my city trips involve going to NY Rangers or Yankee games.  I'm liking all the suggestions I've seen so far.  Restaurant Row, Top of the Rock, High Line (weather permitting) China Town. I'll add Greenwich Village to the list as well.

@bobmacliberty Since  you'll be in Grant Central Station, check out the Whispering Gallery.

Bryant Park is a short walk from Grant Central & Summit OV. and while the Christmas Tree will be taken down by then, the rest of the Winter Village will be in full swing.

https://bryantpark.org/activities/category/winter-village

And since you mentioned Summit, check out The Edge at Hudson Yards, where you can also pick up the HighLine

https://www.edgenyc.com/en 

Hudson Yards itself was a massive construction project, a city within a city built over a very active 30 track train yard. The video is a bit long and dry but it might appeal to the engineer in you.

Finally, if  you still want more outdoor viewing venues on top of skyscrapers in the dead of winter, may I suggest as drink at  the rooftop bar 230-5th Ave.  Heated Igloo's are first come basis. They used to provide parka & gloves (much like the various Ice Bars around the country) but did'nt see it mentioned of their website. 

https://www.230-fifth.com/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

On a totally different note than any topic discussed, I am so happy to finally find a way to peel hard boil eggs without taking half the egg off with the shell.

For those interested:

. Place refrigerated eggs in boiling water.  Cold eggs in hot water shrinks the membrane away from the shell.

. For hard boiled, bring back to boil and cook for 13 minutes.

. When time is up, pour out the hot water and pour some cool water in the pot.  No need for an ice bath.

. Cover the pot and shake vigorously for a few seconds.

. Some of the eggs actually peel inside the pot

. Take out eggs and the peel slides off of the egg effortless.

We had egg salad for lunch. 😄🥚🥚

I have an even easier way to peel eggs...

https://www.samsclub.com/p/great-day-farms-cage-free-hard-boiled-eggs-peeled-single-serving/prod24622070

Great-Day-Farms-Cage-Free-Hard-Boiled-Eggs-Peeled-2-eggs-per-pk-12-pk-Sam-s-Club.png.c15b2b1e20aa47b0f45170d3ef5010d8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I missed everything about Bonnie's card player. and someone not being nice to NHProud because of ethnicity. I am so sorry that this happened. Posts are removed (I think?). Anyways, hugs to Bonnie and NH.

It's all there. Post # 107453 & 107454 (Page 4299) & 107537 (Page 4302).

It's hard to keep up here & on SeaDog's review, plus you are still in post-cruise recovery, right? 😉

• Like 1

NYC things that have not been mentioned:

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge back and forth from Manhattan to Brooklyn. 

Take the Staten Island Ferry from lower Manhattan (it is free) back and forth .... nice views of the Statue of Liberty.  Don't be scammed by anyone selling tickets.

If you need a good burger etc. restaurant on the West side on 42nd Street... Kings of Kobe.

650 W.42 St.

Another restaurant we like is The Smith (we go to Lincoln Square location - near Lincoln Center, but there are other locations).  Typically a very lively, busy place.

Enjoy.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I remember HBE4 posted some neat NYC spots a while ago.  Maybe he can repost?

Found it, I think. From Father Day.  Since it was one of those "perfect 10"  summer days in NYC, it was mostly outdoor adventures, including The High Line.

------- 

While I did check in from time to time, it was hard to keep up with a very busy Dani thread this weekend as it was a busy family weekend for me as well.  Saturday was the baptism for my niece’s daughter (grand-niece? Niece once removed?) followed by a catered after party at a local volunteer firehouse, followed by an after-after party at my brother’s house.  It was great catching up with family that traveled up from Atlanta, GA and down from Canada. A very long day of over-indulging on food and drink but isn’t that the purpose of such events? 😁

After clearing the cobwebs out of my head Sunday morning, it was off to NYC where Little Miss HBE4 treated me for Father’s Day (part one).  Last minute decision so we decided to just wing it. Grabbed a couple of road sodas (beer for me, spiked seltzers for her) for the train ride in. Since it’s was a perfect June day weather-wise – plenty of sun, comfortable temps and no humidity – we headed over to The High Line Park. The High Line was an old, abandoned, elevated freight train line thru the lower west side Manhattan back when it was an industrial area. It has been converted into a park, complete with gardens, flowers, trees, art exhibits, food and drink vendors, plenty of benches & scenic overlooks with stairs down to street level every few blocks.  For those that are really interested, you can learn more about the High Line here.

https://www.thehighline.org/park-features/

https://www.thehighline.org/photos/at-a-glance/best-of/

Had a late lunch/early dinner (Linner? Dunch?)  at Death Ave Bar & Restaurant (https://www.deathave.com/).  The name refers to the nickname of 10th Ave when freight trains ran down the middle of the street with no barriers between the trains and cars & pedestrians. Something like 450 people were killed in a span of 50+ year before the train was elevated. This was despite the WestSide Cowboys riding ahead of the train to warn people. You can read why it’s called Death Avenue here.

https://www.thehighline.org/blog/2021/10/28/the-history-of-death-avenue-2/

Then walked the 1.5 miles of the High Line from Hudson Yards to Greenwich Village. From there, we just kind of bounced around a few different places. Went to a jazz club but the band was a last minute no-show so they piped on 80’s pop music. Curious choice and while I love 80’s music, it wasn’t what we were looking for so we moved onto a Karaoke bar.  LOL. Last stop was a place called “Off the Wagon”, a local neighborhood type of place where we struck up conversations with a few others we met and stayed out waaayyyy tooo long before Lyft back to Grand Central Station and napping on the train ride back home.

A great way to end a great weekend. The one thing is that I did not take very many pictures, hence the web links. Since my step daughter very uncharacteristically stayed off her phone all day, I likewise kept my phone in my pocket to “stay in the moment” as they say. Wouldn’t want it any other way. So here are all 4 pictures I took. LOL

The High Line with some cool looking buildings.

HighLine.thumb.jpg.119f8769c944e0aa919c886efdbf22ac.jpg

One of the many pieces of Art along the walk.

HighLineArt.thumb.jpg.b18eb3999cc5365d8058e0f40b0ba342.jpg

Love the cobblestone streets that are still around in lower Manhattan

Cobblestone.thumb.jpg.8f6557de9559c673626be772f49c961f.jpg

Back when we were having a pizza discussion on this thread, someone had mention John of Bleeker Street having the best pizza in the city.  I was still stuffed from Linner and besides, I don't wait on any line that goes out the door, much less one that goes down the block and around the corner and disappears over the horizon. No matter how good the food is.  Maybe some other time.

JohnonBleeker.thumb.jpg.de8b4a8107ee14e80a2b4dfb8ff972fb.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Fathers Day Part 2 comes this August as my step daughter also got me tickets for "The Book of Mormon".

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, mets07 said:

NYC things that have not been mentioned:

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge back and forth from Manhattan to Brooklyn. 

Take the Staten Island Ferry from lower Manhattan (it is free) back and forth .... nice views of the Statue of Liberty.  Don't be scammed by anyone selling tickets.

If you need a good burger etc. restaurant on the West side on 42nd Street... Kings of Kobe.

650 W.42 St.

Another restaurant we like is The Smith (we go to Lincoln Square location - near Lincoln Center, but there are other locations).  Typically a very lively, busy place.

Enjoy.

I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge during a transit strike to get to work and many times for pleasure.

• Like 1

Last December a former co-worker sent me a picture of myself from about 40 years ago.I wanted to post it on this thread but did not know if I could so I decided to try on the Floataway Lounge .I was able to do it but for some reason could not do it on here.I recently tried to transfer my picture from Floataway to here but have absolutely no idea how to do it.I do not remember where in my house I put the picture .

Does anyone have any idea ?I am so computer illiterate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Ellen's Stardust Diner is a possibility.  I like the idea but Micheline still needs to look at and approve the menu. 😉 

It's fun, the wait staff are real actors & singers and their performances are Broadway worthy

. As diner food goes, let's just say its more about the atmosphere than the food. 😉  It's not bad but it's diner food with upscale prices. Definitely worth a visit if you have the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1