Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Last time we went was before the pandemic. Not the same as it used to be. Weather was crappy two or three visits. Terrible crowds. You didn't have to walk......you were just moved. Total chaos. I wanted to go back as soon as I stepped out of Penn Station. We also used to drive sometime and were not able to make it in during the holiday season......traffic and weather combined. It used to be so magical. But not anymore.

I worked in Manhattan 45 years .The crowds never bothered me.I used to post on a Music message board.One year those of us living in NY,NJ and CT. met at Rockefeller Plaza and then went to dinner.We had no problem finding each other.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

They did not say she was there. Kelcie getting double teamed a lot. I’m a little worried KC not playing well right now.

I'm pulling for your Chiefs Greg.  I don't really want to root for either team but the Dolphins are in the Bills division.  The bottom line though...squish the fish.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, taznremmy said:

All packed, but for the last minute stuff.  Off tomorrow on the Crown Princess for a 16 night R/T cruise to Hawaii from San Francisco,  I am flying tomorrow, but booked my air thru Princess so not too worried,.  If I have to spend 5 nights in SF at their expense, I'm OK with that.😁  This was booked because I was flying up North for Thanksgiving with the family, and decided to make the most out of the flight,  

Have a great time on your cruise, Pat!!  Bon Voyage!!🛳️

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They did not say she was there. Kelcie getting double teamed a lot. I’m a little worried KC not playing well right now.

Hill for Miami is getting double teamed too.  8 catches for 62 yards

I hope KC can hold on and win this.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, h20skibum said:

After eight years of using a Fitbit fitness tracker, I finally moved to an Apple Watch.  I got the new series 9, because I didn’t think the new release would be on Black Friday sales, and I got this one, almost free.  

IMG_9283.thumb.jpeg.9b576da09b2c4687a93ccc99c66d5670.jpeg

Susan and I had participated in a two year heart study.  As part of the study, she was in an Apple Watch group, and got her Apple Watch for $50.  I was in an iPhone only control group, so no cheap watch for me.  However, we earned points that let us convert them to a Best Buy gift card.  So the gift cards essentially paid for this watch. 

Only used it for a day so far, but I like the features it has.  I had to modify the watch face to show steps and distance, as well as other things I am interested in.  

Congratulations on your new Apple Watch!  We all know you will put so many miles on it.  Enjoy!

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you😊 I feel the augmentin has helped as i can breathe through my nose again although doing leaves yesterday didn't help me.  

I hope your friend feels better soon.   

Thank you, Debbie.  Good to hear you can breathe again!  

I sure hope my friend feels better also.  She and her husband are heading down to Florida from Mass. on Friday, and they do a little detour on their way and meet us just off the GSP for lunch.  I told her that if she's not up to it, just get on the turnpike and keep going.  We'll be heading South 7 weeks from Wednesday.😉

• Like 6

10 hours ago, taznremmy said:

All packed, but for the last minute stuff.  Off tomorrow on the Crown Princess for a 16 night R/T cruise to Hawaii from San Francisco,  I am flying tomorrow, but booked my air thru Princess so not too worried,.  If I have to spend 5 nights in SF at their expense, I'm OK with that.😁  This was booked because I was flying up North for Thanksgiving with the family, and decided to make the most out of the flight,  

Pat, Hope you have a wonderful cruise and a great time with your family. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Luckynana said:

Congratulations on your new Apple Watch!  We all know you will put so many miles on it.  Enjoy!

I sure hope my friend feels better also.  She and her husband are heading down to Florida from Mass. on Friday, and they do a little detour on their way and meet us just off the GSP for lunch.  I told her that if she's not up to it, just get on the turnpike and keep going.  We'll be heading South 7 weeks from Wednesday.😉

Maryann, whenever I think of the GSP I think of Paramus Park Mall.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Christmas in NYC:  Every year we would take our daughter down to NYC from the 'burbs', to Rockefeller Center to see the tree, ice skaters-my daughter's favorite, amazing window displays, especially Lord and Taylor animated displays, FAO Schwartz and then warm up with some delicious NYC chicken soup and deli.  All magical places, even the deli! 

She was always excited to see a Chanukiya (Chanukah menorah) here and there.

The crowds carrying holiday shopping bags made it all the more festive.  As a NYer, crowds are a given.

It was the only time I tolerated the cold.

Yes and yes!!!!  Nothing like NYC during the Holidays!  Don't forget Radio City and their Rockettes!🎄

• Like 5

For those posting here about visiting NYC at Christmastime.

Absolutely correct that the City is beautifully decorated with so many events in so many venues. Also correct that it can be crowded during the weeks leading up to Christmas.

However, I have a tip for a good time to visit.

For many years, pre Covid, my DH and I would go into the City for a three day stay, but we would go after Christmas, usually Jan 1st or 2nd.

The decorations were still in place, but the crowds had diminished.

Although, if you plan to see the Radio City Christmas show, the last performance is usually on Jan1st in the evening.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

Thank you for all of the ‘well wishes’ for my cruise.  

Yes, I will post some pictures and let you know my opinion of how they compare to RCL.  
I have cruised with them before and have always thought they were fairly equal to one another.  

I do like the C&A perks better, especially the DP340 discount for solo travelers.

Pat

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Maryann, whenever I think of the GSP I think of Paramus Park Mall.

16 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I bought a gorgeous black gown there years ago for my first RCI cruise back in 1998!😉 

When I lived in Rockland County, most if not all of my clothes shopping was done at Paramus Park Mall and Garden State Plaza. Back then, no sales tax on clothing & gas was significantly cheaper in NJ. Pretty much made a day of it, getting lunch and/or dinner at one of the many diner or a pub/restaurant if we wanted to treat ourselves.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Yesterday, after living here for almost a year…DH succeeded in programming one of our Tahoes to open the garage door without using a clicker.  Previously we’d just left the one we were taking turns driving in the driveway so didn’t open the garage doors all that often.  Now, though, we have learned how to carefully get both Tahoes in our “three car garage” and thus wanted to program the cars.  I had tried to do this with YouTube videos AND the owner’s manual to no avail.  DH printed instructions from the garage door manufacturer’s website and he finally got one programmed.  However, Tahoe #2 refused to follow suit.  After DH’s eighth try (no, I am not exaggerating) I suggested we give it a rest and try again today.  This is why you need grandchildren…

My car has the ability to open the garage door too but will not work.  We were told that it won't work because my car and the garage door opener aren't operating on the same frequency due to the age of my car.  My DH has a new truck and his will open the garage door.  

• Like 2

I've always thought the Christmas crowds in NYC feel different.  Less rude, more cheerful. Not sure if it's because  there are more out-of-towners or if people in general are more festive and  caught up in the holiday spirit. Although I do try to avoid Rockefeller Center as it's just too  crowded & touristy. Plenty of other places in the city to see big Christmas trees where you can actually get up close & almost touch them.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

My car has the ability to open the garage door too but will not work.  We were told that it won't work because my car and the garage door opener aren't operating on the same frequency due to the age of my car.  My DH has a new truck and his will open the garage door.  

Newer garage doors using what's called rolling code technology, where the code to open the door is constantly changing.  The buttons built into newer cars work with rolling code technology, allowing the car to stay sync'd with the opener.  Older cars typically only work with fixed code door openers...where the code never changes.  With fixed code, you just set the opener and the clicker (or keypad, or car button) to the same code.  This is much simpler to program, but the code could be intercepted by a bad guy and used to open your door.  Rolling codes are harder to program but are more secure since an intercepted code is not reused to open the door.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Have a great cruise! Hope to read some comparisons with RCI when you get a chance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

My boss closed up their house in Greenville, Maine and is driving to their home in Ft Meyers this weekend.   They were going to stay overnight in Delaware last night then plan on staying in South Carolina tonight.   Great weather for the drive.   

It's a beautiful sunny 68f here today.  Just trimmed rose bushes and some other perennials.  Too nice to be inside.

Next weekend we may go to LBI to check on house.  Our fall renters left last weekend.  

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Newer garage doors using what's called rolling code technology, where the code to open the door is constantly changing.  The buttons built into newer cars work with rolling code technology, allowing the car to stay sync'd with the opener.  Older cars typically only work with fixed code door openers...where the code never changes.  With fixed code, you just set the opener and the clicker (or keypad, or car button) to the same code.  This is much simpler to program, but the code could be intercepted by a bad guy and used to open your door.  Rolling codes are harder to program but are more secure since an intercepted code is not reused to open the door.

I am just repeating what we were told by the owner of the overhead door company and the installer.  My car will not work with the new opener because of frequency.  We could not buy new remotes or outside keypad for our old model because it was too old and the new ones are on a higher frequency.  My car didn't work with the old opener because we needed a working remote to program it, so we ended up upgrading when we did our driveway, garage floor and door project a couple of years ago.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Yes and yes!!!!  Nothing like NYC during the Holidays!  Don't forget Radio City and their Rockettes!🎄

In my opinion the best ever Christmas displays were in Dyker Heights Brooklyn.People come from as far as Ct.The second best is in Canarsie,Brooklyn.Both can be viewed on You Tube.

• Like 3