Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

That has to be so frustrating and it’s very inconsiderate.  I’m very grateful to also be married to my handyman, even if he’s currently out of commission.  
I don’t think I’ve mentioned it here, but over the years Andy has shared his handyman/construction skills with a few select people we know by helping them with projects like tiling bathrooms, painting, replacing doors & trim, installing custom molding, etc.  He’s so diligent about doing things right (including always showing up when he says he will) and leaving the place spotless that he could certainly make a very nice living if he wanted to just based on word of mouth.  But he didn’t retire to work full time so it’s really just to keep him occupied.  As one if our friends put it “everyone should have an Andy”, lol. 

How was the ball game?  I hope you didn't get thunderstorms.

I'm now itching to get back to Baltimore after discussing yesterday.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I am the same way. Since my whole career was deadline oriented, I always was aware of what time something started and would back time when I needed to leave, drive time, setup and so forth. It drives me nuts when I say to my wonderful wife that we need to leave by a certain time only to have to wait on her to finish getting ready. I now how long it takes to shower, get ready and be dressed. it just takes back timing,  it's so simple.

I have the same problem in my family.  There's always a "good reason" why she's late.  I've tried explaining how she can plan for these reasons by starting early, but that suggestion doesn't seem to want to take.  Always reminds me of the "AIS" scene from Everybody Loves Raymond. 

Now that I'm retired, I'm trying to be less schedule driven and less stressed about time.  It's a hard transition to make after so many years.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

How was the ball game?  I hope you didn't get thunderstorms.

I'm now itching to get back to Baltimore after discussing yesterday.   

It poured from the Delaware Memorial Bridge until just north of Baltimore, but it turned out to be a beautiful night at the ballpark.  Sad how empty it was though. Certainly not the same atmosphere as a packed house at Fenway Park. 
We had Boog’s Barbecue for dinner there, smoked turkey sandwich & pit beef sandwich, we did “halfsie’s” and it was delicious.  Next time we’ll plan to spend more time (and see the Red Sox play the O’s 😉).

E2DF4EA9-7EC9-4418-A4EC-E1F6825F9FD6.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Question to far right says WB a2500k...what is that?

I tried to post a nice explanation and cc deleted it when I hit submit.  😠 

Short version.

It is a White Balance. It let's you adjust color temperature before taking the pic.  Example.  Indoor lighting is sometimes low kelvin# like 2000k-3000k which gives a warm candlelight hue giving a yellowish glow.  To get rid of the yellow before the pic use the WB.  I never use it.  If the lighting messes it up you can usually fix it after the pic is taken.

A good example of color temperature is that nice warm look you get at sunsets.

I am copying this incase it's deleted again 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I have been so lucky all of these years to have Jim as our handyman.  Time to pass on the torch.  We hired a young man who is taking over his Dad's business, to take down our brick steps and to replace completely.  The Dad did a great job on our steps.  We then asked if they could replace the decorative balcony over the steps, they said they could.  The father is no longer involved, son came back with a carpenter and we decided we would go with a "shed" roof over the steps.  When they came to start the work, they found a lot of water damage behind the bricks that surround our front door.  Could they fix this?  Yes.  Will get back to us with costs, etc.  That never happened.  Yesterday, I was expecting ??? them to come and at least start to take the brick down.  They never showed up.  It's now 9:20, and still no workers.  No phone calls....I'm so not used to this.   In the past, Jim would've been out there, bricks taken down, new plywood, etc.  Jim has repeatedly mentioned to the son that we can understand he's busy, just give us a phone call.  Just a phone call to know where we're at....just call...

Rant Over.

Totally understand the frustration.   Dealt with that the last 9 or more months with the deck.  They took about 6 months to come back and fix the defective door they installed.    I have learned to never pray for patience. Something like this can pop up to help me learn patience. 😌 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

It poured from the Delaware Memorial Bridge until just north of Baltimore, but it turned out to be a beautiful night at the ballpark.  Sad how empty it was though. Certainly not the same atmosphere as a packed house at Fenway Park. 
We had Boog’s Barbecue for dinner there, smoked turkey sandwich & pit beef sandwich, we did “halfsie’s” and it was delicious.  Next time we’ll plan to spend more time (and see the Red Sox play the O’s 😉).

E2DF4EA9-7EC9-4418-A4EC-E1F6825F9FD6.jpeg

When I was at the retirement party in Baltimore it was held at a restaurant .

We were there for lunch .Boog Powell was there doing a book signing for his Barbecue book.I asked the restaurant Manager if I could say hello to Boog.She asked him and he said sure.I introduced myself and told him that I live in NY.He asked if I was a Yankees fan and when I said I was a Mets fan he was happy.We had a nice conversation.I bought a copy of his book .He and a friend of his signed the book.He asked if I had a camera with me (this was before smart phones).I said that my wife had one.He had the Manager bring her over and said that he wants to take some pictures with me.I have in my photo album two great pictures of Boog and I ,not side by side but he embracing me as though we were friends.After the retirement lunch everyone who was at the party went to Camden Yards.Boog was there too and he came over to speak to Toby and I.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I have the same problem in my family.  There's always a "good reason" why she's late.  I've tried explaining how she can plan for these reasons by starting early, but that suggestion doesn't seem to want to take.  Always reminds me of the "AIS" scene from Everybody Loves Raymond. 

Now that I'm retired, I'm trying to be less schedule driven and less stressed about time.  It's a hard transition to make after so many years.

I had to laugh because I've done the ole "I'll go ahead and pull the car out of the garage" trick to speed things up. Don't get me wrong my wife is really pretty good about leaving on time. We have some dear friends that the husband has to tell his wife that the get together time is an hour and half earlier so they make it on time. She always asks "why did they schedule that so early"? 😀

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I have been so lucky all of these years to have Jim as our handyman.  Time to pass on the torch.  We hired a young man who is taking over his Dad's business, to take down our brick steps and to replace completely.  The Dad did a great job on our steps.  We then asked if they could replace the decorative balcony over the steps, they said they could.  The father is no longer involved, son came back with a carpenter and we decided we would go with a "shed" roof over the steps.  When they came to start the work, they found a lot of water damage behind the bricks that surround our front door.  Could they fix this?  Yes.  Will get back to us with costs, etc.  That never happened.  Yesterday, I was expecting ??? them to come and at least start to take the brick down.  They never showed up.  It's now 9:20, and still no workers.  No phone calls....I'm so not used to this.   In the past, Jim would've been out there, bricks taken down, new plywood, etc.  Jim has repeatedly mentioned to the son that we can understand he's busy, just give us a phone call.  Just a phone call to know where we're at....just call...

Rant Over.

I guess we are very fortunate to have the guy that we use to do remodeling work.  He works by himself, doesn’t take breaks, and does “perfectionist” work. If he was going to be late because he would be picking up materials, he would call and let us know. 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I had the same issue when I was having some work done inside my house. My dad would come over and stay as I will not have workers in the house unsupervised. However, they would not show up or call. Finally, I had a talk with them about how disrespectful they were being and told them everytime they pulled that crap I was going to deduct a certain amount per hour from their contract and use the money to pay my father for his time. Even that threat didn't work.😐

One of the guys asked why don't you just give us a key? I said this is my home not a construction site and you are not getting any F'ing key.

Our guy did a bathroom remodel just before our May cruise on Allure.  When we were ready to leave for the cruise, he had one more day to complete the finish trim.  He said he could come back when we returned, but we gave him a door opener and told him to just come in and finish while we were gone.  Anyone else, we would not have done that with.

Now our only problem is getting a final bill from him.  He keeps saying he has been really busy and will get around to it.

• Like 5

I have been crazy, busy the last few days.  We did have some good times with the grandkids over the 4th of July.  They did have some fun before the fireworks show. 

They started with some battles using glow sticks, then my one grandson pulled out the lightsaber. 

In the meantime, they have been keeping a countdown until their trip with us. 

4FE46179-1007-425D-ADFA-2DC15718004D.thumb.jpeg.950669fb7311f3b11e64e7ecb77b5af9.jpeg

• Like 12

Has anyone watched ep 1 of season 7 BD Med?    I am watching now while doing some work from home today.    Not so sure about this Bosun. Captain Sandy is really on her back and micro managing her.    Nice to see Zee is back as a deckhand.   Otherwise everyone else is a new face.     

The new yacht "Home" has some really nice features but doesn't seem to have enough storage space or the crew hasn't figured out where to store everything.    

Looks like some stabilizer issues with the boat at the end of the episode.     Ouch!

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 4:47 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Most Americans ❤️ the Queen, myself included. She has a very high popularity rating in the U.S. - something like 68%, the last that I read. 😁

I’m an unabashed fan of the royals. 
I watched Her Majesty’s coronation on our little black and white TV. Got up even earlier for Charles and Diana’s,  William and Kate’s and Harry and Meghan’s weddings. 
Dick is the one that 100% British, while I haven’t a drop of British blood. 
I hope I live long enough to see William crowned. Not that I’m trying to hurry Charles along. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I had to laugh because I've done the ole "I'll go ahead and pull the car out of the garage" trick to speed things up. Don't get me wrong my wife is really pretty good about leaving on time. We have some dear friends that the husband has to tell his wife that the get together time is an hour and half earlier so they make it on time. She always asks "why did they schedule that so early"? 😀

I am notorious for being late.  Have been my whole life.  When a little girl my Mom always had to go find me when it was time to leave and to do this day I am the same way.    I start to get ready then think of things I need to do before I leave.      People have always tried to lie to me about what time I have to be somewhere and that almost always backfires on them.     But I am the first one that is ready and at the door when leaving for a cruise, beach vacation, etc.   

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Got up even earlier for Charles and Diana’s,  William and Kate’s and Harry and Meghan’s weddings. 

Yes!! I watched these as well as Andrew & Sarah's and Edward & Sophie's weddings. 

I was just a little girl (age 8 ) when Charles & Diana got married. I still remember the awe I felt that day watching what seemed like a real-life fairytail. That dress!!! It's a real shame how that story ended. 😞

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
  • Like 9

On 7/4/2022 at 8:49 PM, aussielozzie18 said:

DD had a beautiful day for their hike today in North Cascades National Park in Washington State.AFA44A40-0B70-4635-A681-6EF8F19D3DB9.thumb.png.b283d1e1f7f54affa1a1cd7a33abd065.png

13B6FDD3-A536-466F-8278-27317308C902.thumb.jpeg.d3cbb361edc87c9126fa05c4ae376194.jpeg

7E9C7EE4-A0F3-4DB3-A56E-C8B0A7ADFC48.thumb.png.37d0cda7ed4ad5f18c23900ee6fd26c8.png

5F1A8841-3CBA-427B-A1B7-B3016D43117E.thumb.jpeg.b9d69a8bac53ad88d83c3c1a45e994b7.jpeg

Your daughter takes great pictures, too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Has anyone watched ep 1 of season 7 BD Med?    I am watching now while doing some work from home today.    Not so sure about this Bosun. Captain Sandy is really on her back and micro managing her.    Nice to see Zee is back as a deckhand.   Otherwise everyone else is a new face.     

The new yacht "Home" has some really nice features but doesn't seem to have enough storage space or the crew hasn't figured out where to store everything.    

Looks like some stabilizer issues with the boat at the end of the episode.     Ouch!

How were you able to watch it? Peacock App? It does not air on Bravo till July 11th. I’m looking forward to the new season. There looks like two girls that almost look identical. I wonder if it will get confusing. A lot of people don’t like Captain Sandy, I do. Yes she does micromanage but it’s her boat as Captain. It’s interesting to see how different the Captains are not on from a managerial standpoint but their personality. I really like Capt. Jason on BD Down Under and Capt. Glen on BD Sailing. Capt. Lee is still my favorite. I have drink coasters of all his sayings.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I am the same way. Since my whole career was deadline oriented, I always was aware of what time something started and would back time when I needed to leave, drive time, setup and so forth. It drives me nuts when I say to my wonderful wife that we need to leave by a certain time only to have to wait on her to finish getting ready. I now how long it takes to shower, get ready and be dressed. it just takes back timing,  it's so simple.

My brother and his wife set the gold standard for being late to everything. 
one Christmas Eve when it was our turn to host I decided that I wasn’t going to let another dinner be ruined. 
The rest of us ate, I cleared the table and loaded the dishwasher. 
When they arrived, with no apologies, I reset the table and left them to it.
This was before microwaves. 
The remains of dinner were still on the table. 
Nothing like old mashed potatoes!
Did that teach them anything? No!!

Other peoples’ time  was and is simply not important to them. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am notorious for being late.  Have been my whole life.  When a little girl my Mom always had to go find me when it was time to leave and to do this day I am the same way.    I start to get ready then think of things I need to do before I leave.      People have always tried to lie to me about what time I have to be somewhere and that almost always backfires on them.     But I am the first one that is ready and at the door when leaving for a cruise, beach vacation, etc.   

Toby is notorious for being late.I was just the opposite.

• Like 1