Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

He posed out loud, that he might like that as a profession over police officer or sports broadcaster/cameraman.  Sorry @Sea Dog 

Don’t worry I can talk to him on the Bella cruise about not going in to tv news. It looks glamorous but I can tell him what it’s really like.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Oh no, both Eric and I have blue eyes.  I hope I'm not married to my cousin🤣

So funny story, my DH and I are 8th cousins once removed.  🤣

My father is a genealogist by hobby and has traced his side back very far.  We know we are descendants of one of the paid soldiers that was on the Mayflower and more.  Anyway when my DH and were dating my father quizzed him on family names.  I grew up in NJ and DH grew up in MI.  One name stood out, VanBuskirk, and sure enough that is our common ancestor who settled in then New Amsterdam, moved to NJ, and had many sons who during the revolution were divided between the King and the Colonists.  After the war, my brother stayed in NJ and DH's brother emigrated to Nova Scotia, then Ontario and then Swartz Creek MI, which is outside of Flint, MI.  And we actually met each other at a wedding held in Flint, MI.🤣  

• Like 13

13 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I forgot to mention that lunch yesterday was at a water front restaurant in Sausalito called the Barrel House. Also great food but the interesting thing was checking out the top shelf of the bar on the way out. Don’t think I’ve seen a lineup like this in one place.  See anything you like Greg?  
6E754247-EB50-4934-9F79-CF25C6219EFC.thumb.jpeg.29f8ec9954e194a6099bb542c1e03b3e.jpeg

The Pappy was $187 a pour.  That’s more than an entire bottle of overpriced wine!

I like all of them. I think I would have to pass on $187 for Pappy. My bottle of the Van Winkle 12 year Family Reserve is good but there are more readily available bottles that are more affordable and better tasting.

13 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

And now the wrap up for dinner. After 15 minutes we were again allowed back into the building. We got settled at our table and Owen, our waiter checked in with us.

He asked if we wanted a new meal cooked to replace our cold one, and we said that we were OK. We had half eaten our meal and requested some to go boxes.  We chuckled what are the chances of two alarms in just over an hour.   He went in search of some boxes and a few minutes later the manager came to see us. 

He too apologized for the situation, to which we said was well beyond their/his actions. He then said that they were going to comp our meal, since they didn’t have to make another for us. We said that wasn’t needed, but he insisted. I guess who are we to argue.  Thankfully we were leaving just before 5, but I could only imagine what it would have been like during the main dinner rush. That said it is one of our favourite restaurants that we go to a couple times a year. We will be back.

We were only charged for our beverages and appetizers.  We thanked the manager as we left and left an appropriate “thank-you”😉 for our waiter. 

Nice to know that some people still believe in customer service.

11 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Tonight’s trip to Total Wine…first time for the Rare Breed and 1920.

@Sea Dog have you tried either of those?

C781B68E-BD0C-4A1D-88DA-05C6EF34A2B7.thumb.jpeg.5b2e96fd72e32b573b8d8fac4fc183e9.jpeg

I’ve had all three. I’m a big fan of the Rare Breed. I like the 1920 but I like the Forester Statesman better. BT is is a solid staple.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I’ve had all three. I’m a big fan of the Rare Breed. I like the 1920 but I like the Forester Statesman better. BT is is a solid staple.

I didn't go there looking for the BT but it was the last on the shelf with a "Limit One" sign so I figured I'd grab it since it can be pretty hard to find around here.  I missed out on the Eagle Rare, which had the same limit but an empty shelf.

I really like the OF BiB.  I'll have to grab a Statesman and a 1910 to add to the shelf at some point.

Can't wait to open up the Rare Breed.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Can't wait to open up the Rare Breed

It bites you on the front end due to it’s high proof. I like it over ice as it gets watered down it becomes very smooth. I have a lot on bourbon connoisseur friends that say this is there go to bourbon.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, Lionesss said:

So my mom passed away almost 15 years ago. She was able to live with us for about 10 years. 
We made her room a guest room/storage area since we have 2 guest rooms and the other one is used first. 
I just usually dusted off the room. Washed the linens from time to time. 
Today was the day to rut up. Rotate mattress and give the room the old college clean up. 
Well found between the mattress near the center of the bed. some containers full of her valuables. 

I think I hit the jackpot. 

So i transferred the coins/paper money  into 4 cool whip containers and just got back from putting them in our safety deposit box. I do not have time to go through them. 

I thought these were cute. 

C656426D-3F3D-4F18-B7B8-AAB5BFAB2407.thumb.jpeg.b7b99cab68588f91a4f70f579613d972.jpeg

Some paper money. 

0AE4C652-0351-451B-A816-D2372A3B695E.thumb.jpeg.4aaf5fca21619d5085c63d411c786b17.jpeg

I also found some old political pins. 

EC370744-FCAF-49B4-8325-AF82AAA4FAA5.thumb.jpeg.1581af9cc896d5c3dded368f6f8f73ab.jpeg

And tons of flat jewelry cases. 
just starting to open. 00822C3A-FACA-4732-B822-332933823FD0.thumb.jpeg.d692d45e5cfe95870f66d640ebfbabcd.jpeg

I am sure some things are of value. 

1288E67D-C635-44CB-B082-739C365675C5.jpeg

The only thing that I can put a value on in here is those Canadian $1 bills.  Take them to the bank and get your 70 cents for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It bites you on the front end due to it’s high proof. I like it over ice as it gets watered down it becomes very smooth. I have a lot on bourbon connoisseur friends that say this is there go to bourbon.

I started drinking wild Turkey 101 after listening to Jerry Jeff Walker signing Up against the wall redneck mother , he talks about wild Turkey in that song , this was on mid 1970’s , song was written by another favorite Ray Wylie Hubbard who still plays little clubs in Dallas.

• Like 2

Dan has/had a LOT of coins not very organized.  He did have a Morgan Dollar collection that was not complete but in 2 books.    I took it a couple of months ago to a coin dealer, he spent an hour going thru them and pricing them and I walked away with $5,000.  I had no idea they would have been worth that much and probably much more than that since he has to make money on them.  I still have a lot of sliver dimes,  Buffalo nickels, old pennies and very old 1/2 dollars that I will have to take to him sometime.  Also a couple of pocket watches. 

Edited by molly361
  • Like 13

Give your thoughts on taking a train to a cruise please?

Thinking of taking the train(Amtrak) one way from Roanoke, Va. to Newark Penn Station, NJ for $90 one-way for our (14 day )cruise in September from Bayonne.

Total length of train ride is from 6:20 am to 3:00 pm.....about 8 1/2 hours.

One train, no switching of trains. 🙂

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Thinking of taking the train(Amtrak) one way from Roanoke, Va. to Newark Penn Station, NJ for $90 one-way for our (14 day )cruise in September from Bayonne.

It is a nice relaxing way to travel and see some sights out of the window of the train.     We are thinking about taking Amtrak from Boston to Philly to get us back home from our September repo cruise.     for us the ride is a little over 5 hrs vs. flying 1.5 hrs and we could then switch trains at 30th street station in PHL to get to upper bucks county (about 1 hr with septaI regional rail).      Much easier than going thru check-in, TSA at airport and waiting to see if your flight is on time and if your luggage actually makes it.    

The only thing that has me hesitating is the fact I have to go work the next day and would rather be home quicker so I can unpack, do laundry and go to the food store since we will be away for 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I am assuming that you are going in the day before and not planning on arriving at 3pm the day of...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It is a nice relaxing way to travel and see some sights out of the window of the train.     We are thinking about taking Amtrak from Boston to Philly to get us back home from our September repo cruise.     for us the ride is a little over 5 hrs vs. flying 1.5 hrs and we could then switch trains at 30th street station in PHL to get to upper bucks county (about 1 hr with septaI regional rail).      Much easier than going thru check-in, TSA at airport and waiting to see if your flight is on time and if your luggage actually makes it.    

The only thing that has me hesitating is the fact I have to go work the next day and would rather be home quicker so I can unpack, do laundry and go to the food store since we will be away for 2 weeks. 

Probably either ask one of our neighbors or an UBER for $100 to take us to the Roanoke Train Station(which is about 1 hour from our house). Don't want to leave our car there for 17 or 18 days @ $12.00 a day, reports of the Parking Garage aren't great there. Don't want to be worrying about that while we are away.

Our Cruise ends on a Thursday, told my Wife to take Friday off too. We will rent a  Car in Bayonne and drive to Jackson, NJ and see our Son and then On Friday we can drive to Medford, NJ and see my 2 Sisters.

On Saturday we will make the 8 hour drive to home and turn in the Car on Saturday Night. 

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I am assuming that you are going in the day before and not planning on arriving at 3pm the day of...

Now need to find a hotel maybe with a cruise shuttle included in price plus a half decent restaurant on site so once we get to the hotel we can just check in and relax and have dinner at the hotel. Not interested in going anywhere outside of the hotel. I know that area is just a bunch of spaghetti roads.

Something near Newark Penn Station, 1426 Market St, Newark, N.J.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 6:25 AM, bobmacliberty said:

Ship’s WiFi should be fine. Bad guys look for a place like Starbucks where they can get in and out easily. 

Thanks because I sometimes buy online when on the ship. 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:54 AM, brillohead said:

That's not "public wifi" - with the ship, you have a specific account with them that you log into on their network.  

Fake/fraudulent public wifi will be someplace that you don't need an account for.  Like if you're at Applebee's and see networks named "Applebee's Guest" and "Free Wifi" listed that you can connect to, you don't know which one is the one provided by the restaurant and which one is a fake hotspot that is monitored by the bad guy.  

Thanks.

On 2/21/2023 at 10:18 AM, Husky1987 said:

I know it's already been answered, but it's the Jimi Hendrix gravesite in Renton.  He was born and raised in Seattle.

Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, George C said:

I started drinking wild Turkey 101 after listening to Jerry Jeff Walker signing Up against the wall redneck mother , he talks about wild Turkey in that song , this was on mid 1970’s , song was written by another favorite Ray Wylie Hubbard who still plays little clubs in Dallas.

I like WT 101.

On 2/21/2023 at 9:34 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

You won't find group rates for 3 in a cabin other than on Icon.

Would a group rate of 4 with one being a no show be cheaper than a non-group rate of 3?

On 2/16/2023 at 4:35 PM, h20skibum said:

Operation is next Wednesday.  We have been getting lots of items she will need post-operation, and the last of them should be here this weekend.

We will have the grandkids for a couple days, while she is in the hospital.

Wishing her all the best. Modern medicine works wonders and has come so far.

On 2/22/2023 at 8:20 AM, StanleyandGus said:

Hello from chilly Regina- it’s -31 C (-25 F). Soon we will be in Disney and then a 4 day cruise!

Stanley and Gus have decided to cuddle together!

35B70323-8688-41D6-95B8-B508BAB154A6.jpeg

That’s so sweet. We have 2 that will sleep together, but the latest cat Leilani won’t have anything to do with Chloe, but she will play sometimes with Lilo.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Oh no, both Eric and I have blue eyes.  I hope I'm not married to my cousin🤣

I have blue eyes .In high school I had a huge crush on a blue eyed girl .I asked her out and during the course of conversation on our date we realized that we were cousins.

• Haha 5

On 2/22/2023 at 1:36 PM, jagsfan said:

Great. We sail Sunday. We like getting a paper Compass. I guess that’s out!

We have requested service once a day for a very long time. They will put the compass on the outside of your door.

On 2/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, Sea Dog said:

@dani negreanu Love the pic! I wish we could have spent more time in Venice on our honeymoon cruise that left there. It was our first cruise so we flew in the day of (never do that again) and went straight from airport to ship. We had an excursion on our return to a glass factory ( never doing that again) and then straight to airport. I need to visit again and stay your pics convinced me.

What did you like about the glass factory? Was it to hot in there? We did the glass making thing on Celebrity. It was on the top deck with the breeze, but it was very hot by the kilns.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:39 AM, Jimbo said:
What should you not do at a winery?

Here are 5 NEVER Do's at a wine tasting
  • Smoke or wear perfume. ...
  • Criticize someone who uses the spit bucket. ...
  • Criticize someone who does not use the spit bucket. ...
  • Loudly proclaim your review of each wine. ...
  • Be closed to trying wines that are new to you.

Sorry for the long story. Let me add 1 more thing. Don’t go to the winery and listen to the tour guide. Let me explain. It was a little chilly when we went so I had on an undershirt, a turtle neck and a light weight sweater. The tour guide said it would be cold in the cellars. This was at Hanns Kornell Champagne Cellars in the late 80’s. I went to the car and put on a heavier sweater and a leather jacket so I have 5 pieces of clothing on not including pants. Went back into the tasting room and became warm. Didn’t take anything off since we would be going down in the cellar soon.

In the cellar I was to hot so I started taking things off. Got cold so put clothes back on. This was about noon and we had already been to 2 wineries with only a few crackers. Dumb move not to eat breakfast first, but we weren’t hungry. I started to not feel well so I sat down on some stairs. At least that was the plan. Mike said the next thing people heard was thump, thump, thump. Yep, I passed out while trying to sit on the stairs. Next think I know I’m being woken up by firefighters and on a stretcher. The last thing I heard before being put in the ambulance was come back and I’ll give you a bottle of champagne. 

Was taken to the local hospital and was made to stay until I ate something. They also made Mike eat something when they heard neither one of us had eaten even though he wasn’t admitted. Had to eat some nasty food. The worst I’ve ever eaten. 🤢🤮 After this ordeal Mike wanted to go back to the RV, but I told him I head the comment about the bottle of champagne and I wanted to finish the tour. The others had just been tastings with no cellars involved.

He was surprised I heard the comment since he said I was “out of it”. Convinced him I was fine so we went back. Upon entering the tasting room the tour guide said there she is! Apparently he was just telling the group about the lady who passed out. The people probably thought I was drunk. Was so embarrassed. He did say that people passed out there about once a month. Also said that the hospital served vegan food.  🤢 I’m guessing it taste better these days. Dr said the changes in body temperature and lack of food caused me to pass out.

After we moved from the San Jose area to Key West, Mike would fly back to Moffett Field (between San Francisco and San Jose) sometimes with the military. They guys and gals would occasionally go to Napa Valley and go to Hanns Kornell . The tour guide would always recognize Mike and give him a free bottle of champagne.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

What did you like about the glass factory? Was it to hot in there? We did the glass making thing on Celebrity. It was on the top deck with the breeze, but it was very hot by the kilns.

It was ok just not for me. I would have rather seen the city. If I remember right there wasn’t a lot excursions that took you to the airport afterwards. It was warm in there but not uncomfortable. I forget the name of the place but they are pretty famous for their glass figurines.

• Like 1

It is 48° and sunny today, but we are enjoying a relaxing afternoon in our hot tub.  A great way to de-stress.  In the enclosure, with the patio heater, it is almost 80°. 

BFE8D246-41DF-45DA-B144-9C1E7B7FB39D.thumb.jpeg.f01d5b9d3afd13ac3c3f87162ef28924.jpeg

Susan made us a couple drinks, and we are enjoying a nice comedy show on Netflix. 

DA5D756F-22EC-469C-897D-08B26AD42C2F.thumb.jpeg.5e64cbe85570729b48438900b5c0a7dc.jpeg

Nate Bargatze :The Greatest Average American. 

We have watched a couple of his specials, and this one is the best, by far.  A nice, clean comedy.  I highly recommend. 

• Like 11