Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Been busy getting things done in preparation for the Bella cruise. We leave this Friday, driving to PA for an overnight with Cristina & her family. Then a stop somewhere on the road Saturday night, Sunday night in St Augustine and then 5 nights at Old Key West in Disney.  Probably only a couple of park days - the appeal is that we can stay here for “free” using our points.  Saturday we’ll drive to Miami for a pre-cruise night.

I’m also trying to wrap up booking things for our Med cruise before we leave Friday.  After picking ourselves up off the floor from sticker shock over airfare and the added days (because if I’m flying to Italy it seems a must do to see Venice), we switched to a 7 night from Rome to Barcelona.  We’ll fly to Venice & spend 3 nights, then take the train to Rome and spend 3 nights before boarding Celebrity Edge.  Then 2 nights in Barcelona before flying home.  Flights are booked, Rome hotel is booked, zeroed in on Hotel Jazz for Barcelona, will book that tonight. 
@dani negreanusomewhere I recall seeing you comment on Hotel Fontana in Venice.  Would you mind telling me what you liked and/or disliked about it?  Is there something in particular we should be looking for location wise? I appreciate any advice you (or anyone else) can offer.  
Okay, back to my packing. 

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Been busy getting things done in preparation for the Bella cruise. We leave this Friday, driving to PA for an overnight with Cristina & her family. Then a stop somewhere on the road Saturday night, Sunday night in St Augustine and then 5 nights at Old Key West in Disney.  Probably only a couple of park days - the appeal is that we can stay here for “free” using our points.  Saturday we’ll drive to Miami for a pre-cruise night.

I’m also trying to wrap up booking things for our Med cruise before we leave Friday.  After picking ourselves up off the floor from sticker shock over airfare and the added days (because if I’m flying to Italy it seems a must do to see Venice), we switched to a 7 night from Rome to Barcelona.  We’ll fly to Venice & spend 3 nights, then take the train to Rome and spend 3 nights before boarding Celebrity Edge.  Then 2 nights in Barcelona before flying home.  Flights are booked, Rome hotel is booked, zeroed in on Hotel Jazz for Barcelona, will book that tonight. 
@dani negreanusomewhere I recall seeing you comment on Hotel Fontana in Venice.  Would you mind telling me what you liked and/or disliked about it?  Is there something in particular we should be looking for location wise? I appreciate any advice you (or anyone else) can offer.  
Okay, back to my packing. 

Deb, I want to hear more about your Med cruise plans while we are discussing packing over that drink!

• Like 3

@dani negreanusomewhere I recall seeing you comment on Hotel Fontana in Venice.  Would you mind telling me what you liked and/or disliked about it?  Is there something in particular we should be looking for location wise?

@Momof3gurlz The best thing about this hotel is its location, very near (a mere 3-4 mins straight walking) a main waterbus stop (San Zaccaria, one very near stop to San Marco), no stairs and bridges involved.

As I mentioned in my musings about "living" in Venice, if you're tired after a day of touring, you cannot call a taxi... It is a lot of walking back to your "home" or you board a waterbus, hopefully near a stop.

For us, this stop had the advantages of being on the route from the airport to the cruise terminal, which isn't relevant for you anymore.

If you plan to arrive to Venice by train (Santa Lucia), better be looking for a hotel near the train station. There were several recommendations for no bridge/no stairs hotels near the train station in Italy's ports of call.

Usually, those are more expensive than Fontana, which is low-mid range. It's a family owned hotel, boasting an elevator, which is quite rare in this price bracket.

Another more expensive option is to hire a water taxi, if your hotel has its private stop.

Deb, pls. let me know if you'd like me to "expand" my reply 😘

From Italy's ports of call -- https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

Quoting   

@edinburgher

Some folks take the number of bridges AND the closest vaporetto stop into account when researching hotels.

There should also be porters at or close to the train station, and you could consider using that service.

Quoting @cruisemom42

I loved staying at the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo.  It faces the Grand Canal, entrance is just steps from a water dock with stops for both vaporetti and Alilaguna; I'm sure water taxis can tie up there as well. No bridges to hotel is heaven and if you get the vaporetto pass, sightseeing is so easy.

Location was perfect for us; about midway between St. Marks and the Rialto bridge. Very close to La Fenice and some nice restaurants in that area.

image.thumb.png.e5eaa173462c2dd3265a50653481ba91.png 

The rooms are typically Venetian without being overdone. The breakfast buffet was extensive and the staff were very friendly....

Join their Sina Club before booking and you will save additional %.

https://www.sinahotels.com/en/h/sina-palazzo-santangelo-venice/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Momof3gurlz

I replied about Fontana and just now read the whole post.

So, if you're flying into Venice, you can choose to take a "land" option to reach Venice, or a "water" option...

The cheapest "water" option is with Alilaguna Blu line (the one we took), and it has the Fontana on its itinerary. This line is fitted for ferrying people with luggage, either to Venice or to the cruise terminal. It is 15 Euro pp one way.

The Hilton Stucky was way over our budget, but it is very popular with US travelers, and it is on the above line itinerary.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/vcehihi-hilton-molino-stucky-venice/

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Hey, is it okay if I go outside and play? 

FB_IMG_1677540376438.thumb.jpg.2aaac94f2b345784b29b41ed97349d5d.jpg

Wait, snow is on the way? Never mind. I come back inside now, please.

FB_IMG_1677466060285.thumb.jpg.5f9eef950a1626fec04f5d438909b413.jpg

Starting today the LIRR goes to Grand Central Station.You now have the option to go to Jones Beach that way .I am posting this to my namesake.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

@Momof3gurlz

I replied about Fontana and just now read the whole post.

So, if you're flying into Venice, you can choose to take a "land" option to reach Venice, or a "water" option...

The cheapest "water" option is with Alilaguna Blu line (the one we took), and it has the Fontana on its itinerary. This line is fitted for ferrying people with luggage, either to Venice or to the cruise terminal. It is 15 Euro pp one way.

The Hilton Stucky was way over our budget, but it is very popular with US travelers, and it is on the above line itinerary.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/vcehihi-hilton-molino-stucky-venice/

Thank you so much Dani!  The Sina Palazzo is a bit out of the budget so we’ve booked the Fontana. The convenience is a major deciding factor for us.  Having never been to Venice, I feel  a bit clueless about getting around the city. (for example: Are there streets or just canals?) also very convenient that Alilaguna stops right there as we’ll be looking to drop off our bags and start exploring.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

we’ve booked the Fontana.

Well done. Did u book directly on their site? They give an additional 10% off if you pay cash... Works for us 😎

There are streets. Canals instead of roads. The only point linked to land is the bus and the train station. 

The Fontana is quiet yet very central to everything. We walked from there to all the main sites.

For Rome --

Check out this hotel. If you book on their site, you get a nice discount. Again, very very central, you can walk to all the major sites, and the rates are very reasonable.

https://www.argentinastylehotel.com/en/

Edited by dani negreanu
added Rome
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Having never been to Venice, I feel  a bit clueless about getting around the city. (for example: Are there streets or just canals?) 

Think of having extra wide sidewalks. There are no true streets. Then when you get to a canal you will go up some steps, cross the canal on a bridge then go back down some steps. The Grand Canal is the equivalent of Main Street. The Rialto Bridge crosses the Grand Canal. 

Venice is such a unique place. The first time I walked out of the train station and saw the city I was truly awestruck. I hope you love it there as much as I do.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Well done. Did u book directly on their site? They give an additional 10% off if you pay cash... Works for us 😎

There are streets. Canals instead of roads. The only point linked to land is the bus and the train station. 

The Fontana is quiet yet very central to everything. We walked from there to all the main sites.

Yes, I booked directly on all hotel websites.  
In Rome we are booked at the Damaso Hotel.  Several of the ones on my list were not available for the 3rd night, I’m guessing due to cruised departing Rome on 9/30.  This hotel popped up, has very good reviews and the clincher was - my maiden name is Damaso. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Think of having extra wide sidewalks. There are no true streets. Then when you get to a canal you will go up some steps, cross the canal on a bridge then go back down some steps. The Grand Canal is the equivalent of Main Street. The Rialto Bridge crosses the Grand Canal. 

Venice is such a unique place. The first time I walked out of the train station and saw the city I was truly awestruck. I hope you love it there as much as I do.

I can’t imagine not loving it.  I would’ve loved to visit the town my grandmother is from in Italy - Campobasso - but it’s not near anything.  I’ll settle from being in the country she’s from. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Speaking of the Key and our cruise.  

The Key on our sailing is now 22.99, the internet is 18.99

I'm told best to just buy 1 internet package for 2 devices, it will save you money. The Key really isn't worth it for a free lunch on boarding day at Chops, just not worth it when have to pay $46.00 a day( 2 persons buying the Key) for it.

7 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

@dani negreanuDani, when is your trip to Marakesh?  I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences and your and your DH's fabulous pictures.

Dani, I inadvertently posted the comment above on the Bella thread.  Not the first time I've done that.

Edited by BonTexasNY

2 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

Deb, I want to hear more about your Med cruise plans while we are discussing packing over that drink!

Yes!  Although I ended up finding a non-stop flight to Italy so I’m less concerned about my luggage now.  I don’t care so much if it gets lost in the way home (1 stop).  But I still want to discuss packing tips. Or maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to have a drink 😉😂!

• Like 5

@BonTexasNY

Bonnie, we're flying to Marrakech when you're leaving the Oasis....

Managed to get DH the difficult to achieve visa... Our neighbors have roots there, visited several times, and took me through the steps. Also, we're going to get some "tips" on being in a real Arab country.

I was so focused on finding a convenient flight, that I didn't notice the Ramadan will start shortly after our arrival... They fast through the day, and only eat in the evenings, this -- a whole month.

Luckily, I have my Romanian (European) passport, so I needed visa just for the "peasant" 😉

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I can’t imagine not loving it.  I would’ve loved to visit the town my grandmother is from in Italy - Campobasso - but it’s not near anything.  I’ll settle from being in the country she’s from. 

When we go to Europe Next year, My Wife has some relatives in Cusano Mutri (is only 17 miles from  Campobasso)  She wants to go there, I think it's north of Naples and  East of Rome. Told here I'm not sure the Cruiseline will let us end the cruise in Naples and then just go to Rome on our own and stay a few days in Rome to explore.

Still have to check on all of that.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2