Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If I lived 45 minutes from the fire, I would be thanking someone my house was still standing. So glad your house got thru unscathed. Wish you had more time at home. You sound like you work so hard, you do need that massaging chair. Glad you are home. 

I am thankful for the amazing work those firefighters did... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Typically, bidding wars are not supposed to happen. Seller gets multiple offers, selects their choice of offer and/or counters one.  They can reject all as well. There is not a process to bid. 

M8

This house I live in, held 1 open house, took offers, then went back asking for best and highest. So I offered more, kinda liked this house so I went for it. Waived inspections and cash in 3 weeks. They took my offer, said they had a offer 5k more than mine but wanted me to get it, lol. I'm guessing the higher offer wasnt cash. Ha!! ..but I smiled and said thanks, I'm glad you took my offer. Listened to the guys childhood stories, basically was a 1 owner house, he grew up here, trampoline in the back yard. I picked what furniture I wanted and they held a sale for the rest. His mom had died. No one who was going to move it to another new house. 

Might have had 11 to 15 offers. ..and this house was harder than I thought. She must have smoked with all the windows closed. I didnt smell it. I lived with a smoker, smoke doesnt bother me, but it's been real hard to clean up, but done all I can. It's back to being a hot market. Yet another spammer who wants to buy my house today. Grrrr. Stop calling. Why do random people think cold calls will get you to sell the house you live in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, George C said:

Pretty east to get around without a car in NYC , I was in my early 30’s when I got my license and first car , company I worked for moved me to Dallas and paid for everything including drivers Ed 😁😁 have had a few cars since.

My parents never owned a car.I had 2 friends who had cars when I was in my teens and they drove when we wanted to go to someplace in another part of Brooklyn.I was 23 when I got. My license but did not buy a car till I graduated college and got a good job.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I think our buyers knew there were multiple offers so they came in with their best offer.  You could have knocked me down with a feather when our realtor called to tell us the high offer since it was so much over our asking price.  

That’s awesome but that’s not really a bidding war. It’’s Permissible for the Sellers agent to mention to other buyers agents that there is an offer or offers. I always advise my buyers in these situations to offer their best and last. 

M8

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yup, we are talking about the exact same road.

And that son of a former governor might soon be a former governor too.

Yep, don't need a magic 8 ball or fortune lady to see he is a short timer.

Hope the new guy will restore the bridge to it's original name. It's a source of local pride.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

This house I live in, held 1 open house, took offers, then went back asking for best and highest. So I offered more, kinda liked this house so I went for it. Waived inspections and cash in 3 weeks. They took my offer, said they had a offer 5k more than mine but wanted me to get it, lol. I'm guessing the higher offer wasnt cash. Ha!! ..but I smiled and said thanks, I'm glad you took my offer. Listened to the guys childhood stories, basically was a 1 owner house, he grew up here, trampoline in the back yard. I picked what furniture I wanted and they held a sale for the rest. His mom had died. No one who was going to move it to another new house. 

Might have had 11 to 15 offers. ..and this house was harder than I thought. She must have smoked with all the windows closed. I didnt smell it. I lived with a smoker, smoke doesnt bother me, but it's been real hard to clean up, but done all I can. It's back to being a hot market. Yet another spammer who wants to buy my house today. Grrrr. Stop calling. Why do random people think cold calls will get you to sell the house you live in.

Not unusual for multiple offers. My point is, it’s not proper for buyers agents to discuss the other offers amounts with the Sellers agent. I’m sure it happens but just not Ethical. 

M8

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Not unusual for multiple offers. My point is, it’s not proper for buyers agents to discuss the other offers amounts with the Sellers agent. I’m sure it happens but just not Ethical. 

M8

Lol ok agree with that. Yep when they contact all the agents and say ok best and highest and we will pick, kinda gave it away. 

And I didnt know about what others offered, until they had the estate sale AFTER they accepted my offer. I lived close and went to the estate sale to look again and the seller was there with his wife and kids..they told me, but after the offer to buy was signed. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yep, don't need a magic 8 ball or fortune lady to see he is a short timer.

Hope the new guy will restore the bridge to it's original name. It's a source of local pride.

Pats' Crystal Ball and my Magic 8 Ball never gets involved with politics. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I lived 10mins. from the Tappan Zee bridge. We moved to TX 18 years ago and never traveled on the new bridge.  It was never a good idea to travel on the old bridge when it was windy.

I traveled on the Cross Bronx Expwy for approx. 10 years getting to work. I took an express bus so thankfully I didn't have to personally drive.  Always backed up traffic near the GW Bridge.  Once a cattle car overturned and cattle were roaming around. The reason I listed on my time sheet was "lateness due to cattle grazing on the Cross Bronx Expwy." Boss said he thought he heard it all until he saw it on the news.

Lenny feel better soon.

Thanks😀

I lived in Brooklyn 60 years and never drove in Manhattan.I do not think that anyone else can say that .I only drived in Brooklyn,Queens and Long Island.

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

I don't even like driving in San Francisco. I couldn't imagine driving in New York City from all the images I have seen of the traffic there. :classic_biggrin:

I have friends living in Berkeley and hate driving to the LA area when they have to.They are all transplants from NYC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks😀

I lived in Brooklyn 60 years and never drove in Manhattan.I do not think that anyone else can say that .I only drived in Brooklyn,Queens and Long Island.

I grew up in Brooklyn ohio and so many always ask as if its brooklyn NY I feel a affinity for brooklyn ny.

Yea for brooklyn!!

Hope your headache gets better or a doctor finds the cause.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

One other thing as an example. I was the listing agent (sellers) on a large home. It had been vacant for some time. The owners were deceased and the three daughters had the power to sell the property. I gave them my opinion on the price it would sell for. The wanted to ask a $100k more than I suggested. We listed at their price. It sat for 6 months with very few showings. They agreed to drop the price another $50k. It sat for another 6 months. After six months, they agreed to drop the price $10k every 30 days. The weekend it dropped to the price I suggested, they had 4 offers. Three were decent offers and one was a low ball. I presented the 4 offers and discussed the pluses & minus of each offer (cash, Financing, and VA).  They accepted one offer. The person that submitted the low ball offer was PO’d. They felt like we should have countered their offer. Long story short, the agent and their buyer filed a complaint with our board. The complaint was thrown out. They should have offered what they were willing to pay. 

M8

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I grew up in Brooklyn ohio and so many always ask as if its brooklyn NY I feel a affinity for brooklyn ny.

Yea for brooklyn!!

Hope your headache gets better or a doctor finds the cause.

Thanks.The only good thing is that the MRI ruled out a brain tumor .

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

They should have offered what they were willing to pay. 

M8

Well sometimes it's easier than others to determine value. And zillow who says garages are worth 0, and converted garages about 70k. Seeing zillow say the house was worth less than asking makes it hard to swallow and say, I dont think it's worth this, but its 6 minutes to my folks. 5k and then more over a already above zillow estimate, ..and I took real estate agent courses even in appraisal, but a hot market, and the location. Right now there are no houses for sale near me., none. I was curious if anything I could compare to. Maybe those cold call spammers are getting people to sell idk.

I actually contacted zillow saying having a garage should add some value, they said it's all computerised, they didnt care if their estimate is less than i have into this place. Maybe that's why I get so many calls, people think they can buy it cheap. And I'm sure of the offers they got a bunch were crazy low balling it. I offered above asking, but it gets tricky and might not appraise out for a buyer getting a loan. I've lived here 3 years and still wouldnt take Zillow estimate and it's been raised 3 times. ..sometimes you have to be willing to pay a little more than you think it's worth. Sighs.

I do agree with you, pricing it right is important. They should have listened to you. You knew the market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks.The only good thing is that the MRI ruled out a brain tumor .

Well that's good news, but too bad, they dont know what.

I'd hate to be a human Guinea pig they didnt know what was wrong. Maybe all of us need to start aging backwards. I keep being told aging suks, but the alternative is worse. We are running tests on my mom and why she is always short of breath and getting worse, and after many tests, we dont know. Just rolling things out.

23 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks😀

Wow!! So close.  Did you ever ride the subway into Manhattan? I grew up in Manhattan, rode the subway to Brooklyn often.  My parents never had a car.  Didn't need one.  I learned numbers riding on the subway up to the Bronx,,,14th St., 23rd St., 34th St., etc. Sweet memories.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well that's good news, but too bad, they dont know what.

I'd hate to be a human Guinea pig they didnt know what was wrong. Maybe all of us need to start aging backwards. I keep being told aging suks, but the alternative is worse. We are running tests on my mom and why she is always short of breath and getting worse, and after many tests, we dont know. Just rolling things out.

I was very healthy until I was 60.Then seemingly ever year afterward I was diagnosed with a serious illness and they keep on coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have friends living in Berkeley and hate driving to the LA area when they have to.They are all transplants from NYC.

You know what? I find the drivers in Los Angeles to be politer and better drivers than those in San Francisco. :classic_biggrin: Berkeley is not bad to drive in, although it is like another planet in general. :classic_smile: In LA, the drivers move over when you are merging and they honor turn signals. I drove all day, every day during my work career, so I have some experience in observing the habits of other drivers. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BonTexasNY said:

Wow!! So close.  Did you ever ride the subway into Manhattan? I grew up in Manhattan, rode the subway to Brooklyn often.  My parents never had a car.  Didn't need one.  I learned numbers riding on the subway up to the Bronx,,,14th St., 23rd St., 34th St., etc. Sweet memories.

I grew up in Crown Heights.I had relatives in the Bronx and Manhattan.My parents and I were always taking the IRT .I worked in all 5 boroughs but the majority in Manhattan. I took the subway until 1990 and Express buses till 

1999.When I moved to Long Island I took the railroad.

As I told you once,in 1970 my wife and I toured Texas .I have been there many times since but never to the point of wanting to live there.