Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Same thing with the house that we recently bought.  First to view the house at 9:30am the day that it went on the market and offered full list price that day.  We did however talk with our realtor about what to do in case of a bidding war.  It is a very real thing around here and we discussed adding an escalation clause to the offer.  It was essentially how much we were willing to increase our offer each time we needed to, and the max price that we would be willing to offer.  It would trigger automatically if needed.  I didn't like the idea as it tips our hand as to our max offer.  We'd lose leverage.  

Ultimately, the escalation clause wasn't needed.  The sellers had 3 full price offers on day 1.  One was an out of town person who had not seen the house in person (these offers will sometimes cancel after the 10 day inspection period so their not reliable), and another had a financing contingency.  Since we did not have a financing contingency, the sellers accepted our offer.  The apparently did not want to get into a bidding war and just wanted to sell.  They were happy that they got what they asked, which was probably more than they though they would get.

Our agent is not a fan of Zillow.  Their "zestimates" are usually wrong as it is a formula that doesn't take several things into consideration.  She constantly has to convince both buyers and sellers that the real market price is different.

Agree...those Zillow estimates never makes sense...and in fact most appraisers don't either.  They take into consideration price of square footage, and same size homes that sell near by.  One could be a dump that has not been updated since it was new, the other same size in same neighborhood could be totally gutted and updated with real quality materials. 

That was what happened to us on our last house.  We indeed gutted it and put in a lot of expensive updates.  Didn't matter to the appraiser (who was known for low balling)...it really messed it up for those trying to finance.  We sold it for less than we wanted...just to be done with it.  Now of course the market is much stronger and could have received much better price, though this current house we had bought has doubled in market value in just 5 years.  Go figure.  😮 

The real price is the supply and demand.  The pricing goes up and down accordingly.  Our home values here in our community have skyrocketed.  Simply supply and huge demand indeed.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

ust realized I quoted you, but forgot to type what I was going to say. Anyway it was just that I’m glad it worked out since that would be a lot more work moving and storing it.

I was wondering. Lol. Yes, saves us a ton of work. He paid cash at closing for the remaining furniture, outdoor pool furniture, washer/dryer, and one of our big safes. He even wanted the gas grill which was pretty old. No way was I leaving my Big Green Eggs and accessories. We are building an outdoor kitchen on new build. 

M8

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

i remember when I was single and buying my second house, I took my dad with me on several viewings for his opinion.  One really stood out and I loved it.  We sat in the car after discussing it and he said if you love it, don't mess around just offer the asking price and be done, I did and got the house.  Met hubby soon after and we happily lived in that little house for 10 years.  Both kids were born from that house    

Great advice from your Dad. A good agent should have a feel what the property will sale for. 

I miss my real estate days. Meeting people and watching them find their dream home. It just wouldn’t work out now. Agents always working on Weekends and Holidays and that’s when the boss is generally off. She asked me to quit . I still keep my license active and take the required courses to remain active for every two year renewal. 

M8

• Like 3

Bobmacliberty.

Love the picture of your room.  I wish we had those permanent shelves built in.  We bought shelves and a large table to make our TV stand and side cabinets.  We change what's in them from time to time.  I just did some changes. 

Missusdubbya

My brother was on a field job site down under a few years back and he did a guided tour thru some outback area and was told to be cautious of BIG spiders.  Do not know if this was true or not.  Big spiders that is.

Stay healthy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

When we bought a home in No VA we putva price on contract, and a not to exceed number as well. It was weird. This was 2003.

My son just bought a home in ATL, most of the 'offers' were for above asking price.

Got fed up and bought new construction 

Market was hot in 2003 but for all the wrong reasons. The market is hot now here for all the right reasons. 😇

We bought our lot in September. The price for lots in our range when we bought are now $50k higher. The premium lots on the golf course have increased by $75k. I loved the on golf course lots but boss would rather put that extra money into the build. I’m fine with that. We did get a corner lot. These lots are all 1/2 Acre. Our community, Plantation Bay, has different named sections. Some a high density and spread out from there. Lots of Townhouses in two sections. Homes go from 7’, 10’, 15’ apart and then the 1/2 acre lots. Lots of people residents here in PB. Community has two club houses, 45 holes of golf, two restaurants, a fitness center with heated pool and cabana bar. You must be a member to use these facilities. We joined the Spa and Fitness membership which allows use of all the facilities and includes a few complimentary rounds of golf. There is a social membership which just basically allows one to use the restaurants, pool & cabana. We have a yearly minimum required to spend. When we close, we get the Golf (full membership) for one year and the initiation fee is waived. 

We like it here as we are only 3 miles from Destination Daytona where we spend a lot of time. 

M8

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Lionesss said:

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow in selling your house.

Years ago when my parents who were quite elderly became very eager to sell their house almost to the point of accepting any offers realistic or not.

They were working with a realtor and she encouraged them to be patient.

The realtor gave them some "hints" to make their house more marketable.

1.  Decorate it in the season of the showing.  They placed it on the market after Christmas and they left their decorations up thru January.

2.  Put some cinnamon sticks in water in the oven in the warming drawer to provide a fresh baked scent through the house.

3.  And if all else fails place a statue of St. Joseph buried upside down by your front door.

Their house sold in 3 weeks and they got an offer that they could not believe, it exceeded their expectations.

Good Luck

I never heard the cinnamon sticks, I'd heard to heat vanilla sticks. Sounds similar though. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I never heard the cinnamon sticks, I'd heard to heat vanilla sticks. Sounds similar though. 

We buy the cinnamon sticks at Giant Eagle.  They are in the spice section.  

We use them during the holidays and place a stick in different potent potables, similar to what they offer now kinda like drinks like "Mules"  Our drinks have no names just mixes.  Vodka, and lemonade, with the cinnamon was one we usually do for a twist.  Sounds gross, but tastes good.

Stay healthy

1 hour ago, Sheal said:

Speaking of rashes, my daughter had covid and developed a rash a about 6 weeks later.  After dealing with the itching for a month she decided to call the dermatologist.  The doctor said she has seen a few patients that had developed a rash after being ill.  She just went back for her regular checkup, no mention of the rash, just the biopsy on the stomach.  

I hope her stomach is okay Sheal.

Graham.

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Finally, a well deserved break. Have to ask, but why is the lounger on the platform thing?

LOL, I don't know. The platforms were there when we bought the house.  My wife liked the look of it with the loungers up on them.  The back yard/pool area needs work desperately.  My son-in-law kept the weeds down for the last year but that is all.  I need a landscaper in the worst way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A beautiful day, we found ourselves alone, since the grandkids are quarantined -- a girl at the oldest grandkid (4.5) was found infected at his kindergarten. All the kids, parents and siblings ... for 2 weeks. Third time it happens, no end to it....

Pleasant enough to have lunch on the balcony -- hand made hamburgers and vegetables on the grill, hand made pickled cucumbers, colored sweet potatoes and plenty of sunshine.

Bliss

Hamburger.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Finally got the wall above our fireplace fixed/painted and the TV mounted. We still can’t figure out what to do with the large shelf/cubby areas on either side of the fireplace. My wife is playing with various pieces of art, vases, etc. We considered removing them completely to gain about 2 additional feet of width in the room. 

Love it.

The TV placement is much better.

I'd leave those cubby areas, they're special.

We seem to have quite a similar taste in "loveseats" -- this is ours 😉

20210306_184602.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Ohh, such a nice pool.

For me it'll be the ultimate luxury to have my own pool, and not having to drive to, at certain hours and share it with many other people....

😎

I didn't want a pool, DW did.  I'm glad she won the argument. I don't swim much but have grown to enjoy lounging beside it.  In the summer when its 100+ degrees Fahrenheit it is nice though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

A beautiful day, we found ourselves alone, since the grandkids are quarantined -- a girl at the oldest grandkid (4.5) was found infected at his kindergarten. All the kids, parents and siblings ... for 2 weeks. Third time it happens, no end to it....

Pleasant enough to have lunch on the balcony -- hand made hamburgers and vegetables on the grill, hand made pickled cucumbers, colored sweet potatoes and plenty of sunshine.

Bliss

Hamburger.jpg

Looks yummy.  Everyone I know in Israel makes the best pickled cucumbers. My sister in law knows to make a giant jar of sour pickles when we come. I tried here in TX but it just wasn't the same.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I guess Publix didn't get the memo

20210305_121612.thumb.jpg.cad78cdf18f01b1a7189566ed950ef81.jpg

The Ruffles All Dressed chips you buy south of the 49th parallel just don't taste as good.  I don't know what it is.  When I first saw them a couple of years ago at a Walmart I was so excited but they just weren't as good.  It's like the flavor is the same but just not as much flavor.  I know that doesn't make sense but that's the only way I can describe the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Bliss

Hamburger.jpg

I've never heard of colored sweet potatoes, does that mean you color then, or they come a different color than normal.

Sounds good, when do we eat. My kind of meal. 

3 hours ago, ATG said:

Worst traffic I have seen was in Rome.  Lane markers were ignored, a 4 lane road would have 3 cars going each way playing chicken.  I think red lights were seen as a challenge.

My favorite traffic sign was in Abu Dhabi.  The pedestrian walk signs showed the time remaining and when it got to 5 seconds the little man on the sign started running.

Ditto on Rome.  I didn't drive anywhere just Ubered but I was sure I was going to die!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've never heard of colored sweet potatoes, does that mean you color then, or they come a different color than normal.

They come in different colors than normal -- we have in our store white and purple. They are much more tastier than the "normal"/orange color. Like grilled chestnuts, simply delicious.

• Thanks 1