Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

24 minutes ago, island lady said:

Gosh yes it was.  The foursome we went fishing with, young wife & husband, father, and grandfather were trying to catch as much as they could to pack and ship back to North Dakota. They limited out.  We were not interested in anything shipped home, just wanted enough to enjoy the two weeks we were up there.  Kept only what we could eat for that time and gave the rest to the grateful family.  

We had Halibut in different ways, almost everyday.  OMG...Sooooo good.  Fresh caught!  Had many Halibut sandwiches too...and "Fish and Chips".  😉  Had full kitchen in the cabin, and nice big deck with grill to use.  

Best way was to grill though, using my homemade marinade sauce.  Bucky was in seventh heaven there.  

20200821_183643.jpg

Bucky certainly looks happy and a glass of red wine too while his barbecuing.👍

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Is that Little French Key?  Only been to Roatan once and we did a snorkel excursion, but Little French Key looked like a good alternative.

No, Maya Key.  So super simple to go there.  Walk off the ship, turn right and board the little float boat ferry docked there.  Takes about 10 minutes to get to the little island, which is totally visible from the ship.  Have been there 5 times.  Love it.  🙂  I book it online.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Bucky certainly looks happy and a glass of red wine too while his barbecuing.👍

Yup, he was totally loving it.  The view of the glaciers and mountains across the bay was always a treat while we enjoyed our stay there.  Momma Moose and her two calves trotted through the yard one day, too quick to get a picture though.  

• Like 1

Being the giving person that I am 😁, I decided to donate some of my valuable time to resolve the great mayo vs. butter debate.  I made 2 grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch today, one spread with butter and one spread with mayo.  The details...both sandwiches used 100% whole wheat bread and provolone cheese.  For butter, I used Kerrygold Pure Irish salted butter.  For mayo, I used Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise.  (Japanese vs. American mayo)

IMG_6931.thumb.jpg.5ff7b894047b198846e727b250e29fc3.jpg

IMG_6932.thumb.jpg.ebad1d04e9970ca162b6a49a98d3b5f1.jpg

IMG_6934.thumb.jpg.f6a95120ca803efda9911fe9d1ab8e44.jpg

IMG_6935.thumb.jpg.d0de63a8c4091c3e84e993c9a445a8f5.jpg

I didn't see any difference in preparation or cooking.  We keep our butter on the counter at all times so it's always soft and spreadable. (Tried to convince my wife when we got married that butter should be in the fridge but she grew up with it on the counter and refused to change.  Happy wife...).  If you keep butter in the fridge (as I assume most normal people do...don't tell my wife), you may have a hard time spreading it to fully cover a piece of bread.  Mayo would then have an advantage for you in prep work.  I cooked both sandwiches in the same pan at the same heat level and they browned evenly.  Once cooked, if I hadn't keep track of which sandwich was which, I would not have been able to tell them apart visually.

The most important part though is the taste test.

IMG_6936.thumb.jpg.b662ac67cee7684fb3c1f245f42b1676.jpg

Verdict: The butter sandwich tasted better than the mayo sandwich.  The mayo sandwich was fine...perfectly edible, but it's hard to beat the taste of butter.  Disclaimer...the Japanese mayo probably influenced the results.  I learned about Japanese mayo from Sam the Cooking Guy.  It has a different taste than Hellman's Real Mayo that we otherwise use and I prefer the Japanese mayo in a deli sandwich.  Just to be sure that butter is really better, I'll need to try this again but with butter vs. Hellman's mayo.  The things that I do in the name of science to better humanity.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Adding to my grilled cheese experiment.  My next test, using Hellman's Real mayo, will also use American cheese.  I prefer provolone when making a tuna melt but if it's a straight cheese sandwich, I prefer American cheese.  We didn't have any American cheese in the house and with my time being so valuable, I wasn't willing to go to the store to get some (i.e. I'm too lazy).  Is there such a thing as a grilled cheese sommelier?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Spent over an hour last night moving our Oasis July 30th 2021 cruise to Oasis August 5th 2022 we wanted adjoining junior suites. We were able to get the same cabins for 2022 that we would have had in 2021. We were told that FCC from Feb Anthem 2019 cruise has to be used by Dec 2021 hopefully they will extend those FCC's further out or we will lose it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Disclaimer...the Japanese mayo probably influenced the results.  I learned about Japanese mayo from Sam the Cooking Guy.

I saw the bottle and immediately knew. Sam is the King. Did you see yesterday’s Munchies V  video?  

The potato chip sandwich. So bizarre but yet interesting. 

DDC18DF5-C026-4705-A95A-7F3539565874.thumb.png.bb56dd5c783efc9ad4f7316fdafa48e6.png

D109A0CB-ADD2-4B01-AB7F-78B06245D327.thumb.png.efeab8258d1529c85c8005d02eabb058.png

BDCB014E-030E-44AB-B4FE-AB595338C95A.thumb.png.17cee434cea946f74f534d18b1acb5bc.png

Video to watch. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

23 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Adding to my grilled cheese experiment.  My next test, using Hellman's Real mayo, will also use American cheese.  I prefer provolone when making a tuna melt but if it's a straight cheese sandwich, I prefer American cheese.  We didn't have any American cheese in the house and with my time being so valuable, I wasn't willing to go to the store to get some (i.e. I'm too lazy).  Is there such a thing as a grilled cheese sommelier?

Kraft Singles make the best grilled cheese! Unless you’re toasting it in the oven as an open faced sandwich, in that case, cheddar. With little bits of bacon....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I saw the bottle and immediately knew. Sam is the King. Did you see yesterday’s Munchies V  video?  

Haven't watched that one yet.  He's done several munchies videos, usually around April 20th. 😉

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

Kraft Singles make the best grilled cheese! Unless you’re toasting it in the oven as an open faced sandwich, in that case, cheddar. With little bits of bacon....

So many good ways to dress up a grilled cheese sandwich, but bacon always makes things better.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2021 at 6:52 PM, John&LaLa said:
35 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Haven't watched that one yet.  He's done several munchies videos, usually around April 20th. 😉

I haven’t seen this, but I’ve always put potato chips on my sandwich.  As a kid my favorite was bologna, Colby cheese, Mayo and chips on a bun.  Colby was the only kind of cheese we had, except for the green cardboard cylinder of Parmesan.  My Mom was not a great cook.  Her idea of spicy was a little pepper.  Spaghetti came from the box with a can of sauce.  I have come a long way!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

This glitch only started a couple of weeks ago.  And only when the post hesitates before it finishes.  

I am using my full laptop to post.  I am Google Chrome.  

Until this stops, I will have to constantly go back to check to be sure it didn't post twice.  Not liking this double vision before happy hour.  😉 

I'm having the same problem. Just started recently. It's not you. I thought perhaps my brave browser wasnt compatible with cc. I made the mistake of updating it yesterday and did a triple post. Ehhh. And I thought double posting was bad. 

It isnt us. If i only press post one time, it's nothing I'm doing. Its cc. 

I wish I could blame it on wine lol. Dont have any wine here hahahahaha. I'm on a tablet, not same as you but I'm having same issue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ATG said:

I haven’t seen this, but I’ve always put potato chips on my sandwich.  As a kid my favorite was bologna, Colby cheese, Mayo and chips on a bun.  Colby was the only kind of cheese we had, except for the green cardboard cylinder of Parmesan.  My Mom was not a great cook.  Her idea of spicy was a little pepper.  Spaghetti came from the box with a can of sauce.  I have come a long way!

I put potato chips on sandwiches too.🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Grape jelly

You're going to hang onto that for a while, aren't you?  Our restaurant last night had a Monte Cristo sandwich on the menu.  I almost had to order it, but didn't because it was served with raspberry preserves.  

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

My middle daughter puts potato chips in her sandwiches and also puts french  fries on her burgers & hot dogs.  She picked this up in college, at West Virginia University (if you know, you know).  

14 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

My middle daughter puts potato chips in her sandwiches and also puts french  fries on her burgers & hot dogs.  She picked this up in college, at West Virginia University (if you know, you know).  

We call them Crisps in the UK.

They do add some flavour to sandwiches.

Screenshot_20210422_201631.jpg

• Like 1

@bobmacliberty As soon as you said Japanese mayo and provolone cheese you lost me.  Mine is always butter and one slice of American.  I don't like my sandwich too cheesy. 

One of these days I will try cheddar, mild not sharp. 

DH has been known to throw a bunch of chips on the sandwich.  Sounds like a hot mess to eat.