have you re-booked

suec12

9 minutes ago, sciencegrrl said:

We have an August Alaska cruise booked now.  I checked the price to move it to 2021, and it looks like it would be $200 more for the same room with the same perks that we have. 

Did you see that part of the price increase is the higher port fee/tax ? The 2021 cost is $50 higher than 2020 ...and this year's was higher than last year's !  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Is HAL not part of the group of cruise lines which will require a doctor's certificate of fitness to travel for those over 70?

Or is that all just a rumour?

Ruth

It seems that I read a very speculative post somewhere that it may come to that in the future.  It is not the case now and I doubt that it will be in the future. What kind of a Doctor would sign such a certificate when most people in their 70's have developed some type of condition that puts them at higher risk while traveling than say a healthy 30 year old. Also cruise lines want to fill ships and a large percentage of cruisers are in their 70's and beyond.  

• Like 1

Cruise lines across the board have given out so much FCC that I believe pricing will be crazy for quite a while. Just for "fun" I checked several itineraries on both HAL and Celebrity that were to sail in April/May and compared them to identical or nearly identical itineraries later in the year and in most cases, found pricing higher especially in suite higher level categories. 

While I love to cruise and try and do at least four per year, I'm going to wait a while to see that the current situation is well in check AND wait until the FCC craziness is over and you start seeing favorable pricing movement. I simply believe pricing in the near future will be predatory as cruise lines try and make up losses. 

We  replaced our April 10 day Panama cruise on Zuiderdam with a 7 day Mexico cruise on KDam in October.  The FCC covers the cost as we got about 60% refunded. I am hoping the cruise will be able to happen.  

We booked as a use-it-or-lose-it on FCC.  

I booked an Alaska Great Explorer Cruise in May next year for my soon to be canceled May Alaska Great Explorer cruise next year. Refundable deposit, will use FCC when I get it or cancel and create new booking to use the whole FCC.

A-

My May 4th cruise to Alaska as we all know is cancelled.  I went to book the same cruise, same cabin category for next year and it's over 2K more (solo).  I won't be going and I doubt HAL will be offering any deals.  I also looked at another two cruises (solo) and the prices are too high.  Maybe I'll have to buy a tiny motor boat and be my own Captain☺️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Yes, rebooked for july , 14 day Norway , Rotterdam RT. Fingers crossed.....

Are you talking about this July? I have a Norway cruise in August scheduled (7-night out of Amsterdam) and I am debating on whether to cancel or pay it up. Do you think summer Europe cruises will sail?

I just re-booked for next year, albeit it's a 2 day Denali Vs. this year's 3 day Denali Alaska Cruise/Tour.  Prices were insane, but it's a bucket list item, and I honestly wish I hadn't waited so long (meaning gone there a few years back.....glad I was able to go to Italy last year!).  Anyway, I am paying cash....they said the $600 deposit was refundable up till next February, and if a better deals comes out, I can switch to that.

I opted NOT to use FCC (I am on the waiting list for a cash refund).  I had asked about using the FCC but was scared because if I couldn't cruise next May to Alaska, I would still have to use that FCC by the end of 2021, and not knowing about health issues, family issues, etc. I didn't want to take the chance.  It would have been a TREMENDOUS savings had I gone for the FCC, but, it honestly came down to spending an extra $2000 Vs. losing $6000.  It is what it is.  Anyway, bottom line, I have up till February 2021 to change my mind for a full refund before final payment is due.

Stay safe and healthy.........

Last week we booked a new cruise, and it was a huge morale lift to do something “normal“ and I like looking forward to it. Fingers crossed it will be safe to cruise then.

It’s the 2020 Amsterdam Christmas/New Years cruise using $200 of our hefty FCC as a non-refundable deposit. I figure we can decide at final payment time whether to go - and use up the rest of the credit.

If HAL cancels, I guess the FCC is reinstated. If we cancel before final payment, we’ll be out $200, not a big deal. And then would need to book a 2021 cruise before the end of this year to avoid losing the big chunk of FCC.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Are you talking about this July? I have a Norway cruise in August scheduled (7-night out of Amsterdam) and I am debating on whether to cancel or pay it up. Do you think summer Europe cruises will sail?

Yes, this july... we have an june Norway cruise as well. But that was booked before this all went down.

Today a high ranking EU member more or less advised not to book any vacations for july and august since everything is still very uncertain. Although , Norway is opening up kindergarten schools again as of next week. Same for Denmark. In Austria and Czech Republic small businesses can open next week, so very slowly things are creeping out of lockdown .

If both cruises are cancelled , we'll have enough FCC to pick out something nice for when the ships starts sailing again.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:54 PM, molemaui said:

Cruise lines across the board have given out so much FCC that I believe pricing will be crazy for quite a while. Just for "fun" I checked several itineraries on both HAL and Celebrity that were to sail in April/May and compared them to identical or nearly identical itineraries later in the year and in most cases, found pricing higher especially in suite higher level categories. 

While I love to cruise and try and do at least four per year, I'm going to wait a while to see that the current situation is well in check AND wait until the FCC craziness is over and you start seeing favorable pricing movement. I simply believe pricing in the near future will be predatory as cruise lines try and make up losses. 

FYI - predatory pricing is low, not high.  😋

21 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

Yes, this july... we have an june Norway cruise as well. But that was booked before this all went down.

Today a high ranking EU member more or less advised not to book any vacations for july and august since everything is still very uncertain. Although , Norway is opening up kindergarten schools again as of next week. Same for Denmark. In Austria and Czech Republic small businesses can open next week, so very slowly things are creeping out of lockdown .

If both cruises are cancelled , we'll have enough FCC to pick out something nice for when the ships starts sailing again.

Thanks for the update. It is nice to know things are improving in Europe. It gives me hope for the US in a few weeks. Now, I am thinking of doing what you are doing for my August cruise (pay and wait it out). I do have the added problem of flights, however.

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

FYI - predatory pricing is low, not high.  😋

Depends what dictionary you choose. I see both.  Here is one definition. Thanks for forcing me to check the dictionary. 

excessive or exploitive in amount or cost, as out of greed or to take advantage of consumers or patrons: predatory pricing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

My May 4th cruise to Alaska as we all know is cancelled.  I went to book the same cruise, same cabin category for next year and it's over 2K more (solo).  I won't be going and I doubt HAL will be offering any deals.  I also looked at another two cruises (solo) and the prices are too high.  Maybe I'll have to buy a tiny motor boat and be my own Captain☺️

My cruise was about 1k higher but in November of 2019 I re-fared and I expect to be able to do that before final payment. As it gets closer to sailing HAL will want to fill the ship.

Waiting for my May cruise to AK to be cancelled and will wait,  and wait it seems,  for a refund.  Priced out next year's AK cruise, same ship,  suite, date,  and amenities- 1,600$ higher plus I would lose $800 OBC. No thanks,  will wait and see how things unfold and weigh options.

I've just had my PCC put a courtesy hold on side-by-side verandah cabins on the Koningsdam 18-day r/t San Diego Circle Hawaii cruise in February 2021. I expected to find an abundance of inventory but found that the opposite is the case -- for all the reasons discussed in this thread. I have a few days to make up my mind (and to get our dear friends who would take the neighboring cabin "on board") but I expect that the "Have It All" promotion will be the clincher.

I've found that I need a warm-weather getaway in February to make the doldrums of a Chicago winter bearable.