How have you been virtually traveling or exploring the world?

kimmiekaz

On 4/13/2020 at 4:24 PM, clo said:

When 'this is over' perhaps you should throw them out!

Just DON'T throw out your old cruise cards/cabin keys.

Please send them to me, to add to my collection of such things!

Please!

Disney ArcadeCard.jpg

DisneyCard.jpg

Carnival-03-A.jpg

Carnival-05-A.jpg

• Like 2

I've looked at some virtual museum sites, photo albums and done jigsaw puzzles of beaches, and some volcano and wildlife web sites to allay my travel wanderlust.  I've read a few books on ancient Egyptian and Norse history as well.

So far we've had a 10 day Egypt tour that included a 4 day Nile River cruise in March,  an April Panama Canal  10 day cruise, and a 9 day June Norwegian fjord cruise from London cancelled.

I should be pretty POed, but what can you do except to smile and hope to re-book these adventures sometime down the road.

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change".

• Like 1

I just read a great article from the LA Times about all the wildlife in Yosemite that are coming out since the park is closed. And saw a piece about coyotes roaming around San Francisco and howling to each other. Somethings good are coming out of this.

Yesterday we drove 100 miles to the see the tallest bridge in California.  Forest Hill Bridge near Auburn. Never set foot out of the car.

20200414_100619 - Edited.jpg

• Like 1

A very close friend of mine went on a Scandinavian tour and he was literally taking photos of each and everything. When he was back and loaded a total of 2000 photos on facebook, I spent like a day sitting there going through all his photos. It really felt like I was there traveling with him... taking photos lol. One time I tried doing the same with Google Earth, mhee it can be entertaining at times.. wish there was an online option, to view streets in the real time 

25 minutes ago, clo said:

I just read a great article from the LA Times about all the wildlife in Yosemite that are coming out since the park is closed. And saw a piece about coyotes roaming around San Francisco and howling to each other. Somethings good are coming out of this.

Last night saw a documentary about Venice in lockdown and a resident commented on how clean the water has been and for the first time you can see the bottom of the canals through the water😆. If nothing else COVID 19 is revealing just how much strain we humans put our planet under. I myself have noticed how much cleaner the air is in my city and have not seen any of the usual smog haze in weeks.

Edited by ilikeanswers

17 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I myself have noticed how much cleaner the air is in my city and have not seen any of the usual smog haze in weeks.

I understand it's a world wide phenomenon.

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

I still have a couple boxes of my Mom's stuff that we enjoy going through every occasionally.  I also have a few boxes of stuff the kids tossed out but I retrieved.  Mostly sports or academic related stuff.  Who knows, maybe some day they will be surprised when they open up the boxes.  

I have a crate of sports collectibles and another of school related items plus items that my parents saved.I wonder if my children will keep them after my wife and I are gone.

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

Who knows, maybe some day they will be surprised when they open up the boxes.  

I'm guessing you haven't read any of the articles saying "Your kids don't want your stuff; get rid of it."  🙂 We've told both 'girls' (in their 40s now) and they're really pleased.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm guessing you haven't read any of the articles saying "Your kids don't want your stuff; get rid of it."  🙂 We've told both 'girls' (in their 40s now) and they're really pleased.

Sorry, buy your opinion is not my reality.  Take care.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Sorry, buy your opinion is not my reality.  Take care.  

Oh sorry. When you said your kids threw out a bunch of stuff that you retrieved I was making a guess.  When my mother-in-law died and we had to go through all that 'stuff' we knew right then what our MO would be. Being home full time these days is giving us a lot of time to winnow out. Unfortunately all the thrift stores are closed. Our fave one - SPCA - loves to see us coming...after we donated MIL's Waterford crystal 🙂

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a crate of sports collectibles and another of school related items plus items that my parents saved.I wonder if my children will keep them after my wife and I are gone.

I have a "wall of fame" out in the garage where I put all kinds of stuff.  30 year old drawing from the kids, pic's, ribbons, medals, plaques,  kids first business cards, etc, etc.  Someday someone will have the opportunity decide what will happen to that stuff and all the rest.  I am glad I have things from my folks to remember.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I have a "wall of fame" out in the garage where I put all kinds of stuff.  30 year old drawing from the kids, pic's, ribbons, medals, plaques,  kids first business cards, etc, etc.  Someday someone will have the opportunity decide what will happen to that stuff and all the rest.  I am glad I have things from my folks to remember.  

My father passed away in 1981.Among his possessions was a business card from the 1930’s.My father worked in the KISS building in Manhattan. At one time buildings had named as well as addresses.A friend and I went to the location and found out that it no longer existed.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

One of my most cherished possessions is a Humanitarian award that was presented to me at the United Nations along with a newspaper article about the event.

My grand kids ,hopefully will make sure that it is kept forever.

• Like 1

Spent time working on our next two extended land trips.  Where and when (maybe).  Now I have to spend a little time working on a rough plan B for each of them in case we change our minds or something causes the plan to go south.

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Spent time working on our next two extended land trips.  Where and when (maybe).  Now I have to spend a little time working on a rough plan B for each of them in case we change our minds or something causes the plan to go south.

I might do that although we've been advised to not even do road trips right now. We could carry the virus with us to areas that don't have adequate medical care to deal with it. I'm guessing we'll start land travel when certain lockdowns are lifted. Perhaps in the San Francisco area. I wonder how many national parks are going to remain closed all summer.

We've been virtually re-visiting places via the "Aerial America / Britain / Ireland series" downloaded from the Smithsonian channel.

Enjoying the "been there" moments :classic_smile: 

But also realising how much of those places we missed on our road trips, cruises, etc. :classic_sad:

Must research better :classic_blush:

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I might do that although we've been advised to not even do road trips right now. We could carry the virus with us to areas that don't have adequate medical care to deal with it. I'm guessing we'll start land travel when certain lockdowns are lifted. Perhaps in the San Francisco area. I wonder how many national parks are going to remain closed all summer.

Traveling is no longer something on the horizon for my wife and I as we are older than you and Bob .The rest of our lives will be spent trying to stay healthy and enjoying time with our children and grand children. We have great memories of life’s accomplishments ,some that I would like to share but alas not on a cruise board.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, George C said:

We just watched Andrea Bocelli Easter concert from Italy had some great Ariel views of Italy fantastic but short concert just 25 minutes it’s on YouTube , highly recommend watching. We were lucky enough to see him about 10 years ago in a 20,000 seat arena but audience was so respectful you could have heard a pin drop . 

I watched it also.  I'm a huge Andrea Bocelli lover.  I saw him last June at the Hollywood Bowl - just amazing.  I'm supposed to do it again this June and then go camping on the beach, but I'm waiting for the Mayor of Los Angeles to decide how long he's going to keep his "no gatherings/events/concerts/sports" in force.  I don't think it's going to come off, and rightfully so.  But, a girl can hope...

I've been trying to figure out another Fall camping road trip, if things open up.  So I've been grazing through the 'net, looking for some round trip ideas that "call to me."   And, I've been "traveling" around the world by watching reruns of Below Deck and Below Deck Sailing Yacht 🤣   Made some zoo/aquarium visits when people put up those video of the various animals being let out to roam (penguins, etc.)....

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 4:57 PM, lenquixote66 said:

One of my most cherished possessions is a Humanitarian award that was presented to me at the United Nations along with a newspaper article about the event.

My grand kids ,hopefully will make sure that it is kept forever.

I would be proud of that.  I don't think you have to worry about it being kept.  Of course it will!  

• Like 1

My DIL was supposed to be on a European cruise in April. She set up a zoom meet and greet for all her online group from around the world. Then they continued each day by posting pictures of the places they had “visited” that day. Comments were made such as “we were there too, must have just missed you!”  They are having a fun “cruise”.

• Like 1

Context Travel is offering travel programs online with some of their expert guides. If anyone is planning an upcoming trip (eventually) to one of the areas on the program --- or if you've been there and just want to know more than the usual quick tour will tell you -- these are great opportunities to hear their best guides at a fraction of the usual cost. They are around $35 for an hour and a half talk with time for Q&A at the end.  They've been announcing new dates every week. Some included areas have been the Sistine Chapel, Walking with Michelangelo, the British Museum, Beijing through the Ages, Secrets of Kyoto Geishas and more. They also sometimes feature local food/wine talks.

• Thanks 2

On 4/8/2020 at 6:36 PM, iancal said:

Lonely Planet

My go to guides, Eyewitness Guides for the additional culture/history and pretty pictures. I bought a few to keep on my shelves and to lend only to people I know will give them back although that's always a crap shoot! 😉 I've also used Rough Guides and Frommer's which was where it all started for me but ultimately I come back to Lonely Planet again and again. I had a Cinque Terre guide that I loaned and never got back and wish I still had because a friend got it for me; it was from a local publisher because at the time they went, no one really knew about Cinque Terre and therefore no other guide existed other than this thin local book available for sale IN Italy. 

I think that sort of turned into a thing, where I began bringing home thin, but beautiful photo guides from various places I visited because they would include great information about the location AND certain spectacular photographs that I'd not have access to get as close to for making pictures of things without getting arrested. I ended up with a great collection and hopefully, more to come in the not too distant future.