NCL is no longer offering refunds for cancelled cruises

BenDover

I will try to keep this short and as factual as possible without editorial:

I booked a cruise for me and my two grandsons ages 13 and 11. The cruise was scheduled for May 22.

I paid the entire amount on my credit card. NCL cancelled the cruise and sent me a notification that I could receive FCCs or a refund.

Took about a week for FCC to post. Was expecting a credit of $2,024.56 ($1,619.65, the amount I paid, and $323.9, 25% offer). The credit that showed up on my page was $767.06.

Called NCL with intent to book an Alaska cruise for myself (no grandsons) for next May using the $2,024.56. But first we needed to figure out the difference in the FCC. I was told that I am only entitled to my portion of the cruise fare. The rest of the credits belong to my grandsons and I can't use them.

What?! "Can those credit be transferred to me since I'm the one who paid for the Cruise" Nope!!

"So you gave the credits I paid for to two minor children who did not pay a penny" Yep!

"They can't go because they will be in school. What are my options" Nothing at this time!

"Are you telling me that my only option is to create a log-in for each of them and to request a refund" WE ARE NOT OFFERING REFUNDS AT THIS TIME!!

"I need to speak to a supervisor".

Supervisor comes on. Is totally unconcerned, unsympathetic, detached and cold.

I keep calm. Tell her how much I love NCL Cruises. Explain I am trying to support them by booking a future cruise.

No doing. No full FCC. No refund.

Tell her I am disappointed in how she is handling the situation and she starts YELLING AT ME!

By the way the letter that they emailed about the cancellation has a hyperlink to request a refund. That link no longer works.

Also the website no longer has a link to the refund request it had a few days ago.

I had no choice but to dispute the charges with my credit card company.

I really loved the NCL cruises I have been on and I want to support them. But the future does not look good.

• Like 5

It looks like they have changed the plan but you can still submit for a refund, just not till the 7th

"Guests who prefer to not take advantage of a future cruise credit for suspended sailings scheduled to embark beginning May 15, 2020, can elect to receive a lesser refund to the original form of payment 90 days after submitting a Refund Form which will be located on this page on May 7, 2020 and must be submitted no later than May 13, 2020."

• Like 2

I believe it has been the policy of most cruise lines to issue the future cruise credits in the name of the person booked, not the person who paid for the fares. I have a friend who learned the hard way a few years ago when he paid for a cruise for him and his girlfriend. They broke up before the cruise and he called to cancel. They would not refund, but issued 2 FCCs - one to him and one to the ex-gf. She used it for a cruise with her new boyfriend.

You should be able to apply for a refund between May 7 and May 13 per get NCL website:

“Future Cruise Credits have all been applied for all cancelled sailings; except for those cruises that were scheduled to embark between May 15 - June 30, 2020 which will be applied to your account by May 1, 2020.

EMBARKATION DATES

FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT

March 13 to March 17, 2020 150% of cruise fare

March 18 to June 30, 2020 125% of cruise fare

We’re also giving an additional 20% discount when you book by May 15, 2020 using your Future Cruise Credit on cruises embarking October 1, 2020 - December 31, 2022! The discount will be automatically applied when you make your reservation, including when you book online.

Guests who prefer to not take advantage of a future cruise credit for suspended sailings scheduled to embark beginning May 15, 2020, can elect to receive a lesser refund to the original form of payment 90 days after submitting a Refund Form which will be located on this page on May 7, 2020 and must be submitted no later than May 13, 2020.

https://www.ncl.com/suspended-sailings

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BenDover said:

I booked a cruise for me and my two grandsons ages 13 and 11. The cruise was scheduled for May 22.

I paid the entire amount on my credit card. NCL cancelled the cruise and sent me a notification that I could receive FCCs or a refund.

Took about a week for FCC to post. Was expecting a credit of $2,024.56 ($1,619.65, the amount I paid, and $323.9, 25% offer). The credit that showed up on my page was $767.06.

Called NCL with intent to book an Alaska cruise for myself (no grandsons) for next May using the $2,024.56. But first we needed to figure out the difference in the FCC. I was told that I am only entitled to my portion of the cruise fare. The rest of the credits belong to my grandsons and I can't use them.

What?! "Can those credit be transferred to me since I'm the one who paid for the Cruise" Nope!!

"So you gave the credits I paid for to two minor children who did not pay a penny" Yep!

"They can't go because they will be in school. What are my options" Nothing at this time!

"Are you telling me that my only option is to create a log-in for each of them and to request a refund" WE ARE NOT OFFERING REFUNDS AT THIS TIME!!

I keep calm. Tell her how much I love NCL Cruises. Explain I am trying to support them by booking a future cruise.

Tell her I am disappointed in how she is handling the situation and she starts YELLING AT ME!

By the way the letter that they emailed about the cancellation has a hyperlink to request a refund. That link no longer works.

Also the website no longer has a link to the refund request it had a few days ago.

I really loved the NCL cruises I have been on and I want to support them. But the future does not look good.

Can you book the trip with the kids on the reservation (thereby putting their FCC on the cruise), pay for it with all of the FCC, then remove the kids from the reservation?  Maybe a loophole.  (Note I have not tried this but it might work?)

• Like 2

Neither person told me that refunds would be available beginning May 15. In fact both of them stated no refunds until “at least July”. I’ll wait and see if they start on the 15th, but don’t be surprised if there’s another delay.

My issue was that the other two passengers are minors. I don’t see how you can issue a credit to a minor and not the adult responsible for them. Anyhow their rules-fine. But I was willing to use those credits to book a cruise. Now I will get a refund one way or another. Not exactly a win-win.

Still no excuse for being yelled at by a supervisor. I was trying to support them and give them business. Not really interested in sailing with them now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BenDover said:

Neither person told me that refunds would be available beginning May 15. In fact both of them stated no refunds until “at least July”. I’ll wait and see if they start on the 15th, but don’t be surprised if there’s another delay.

My issue was that the other two passengers are minors. I don’t see how you can issue a credit to a minor and not the adult responsible for them. Anyhow their rules-fine. But I was willing to use those credits to book a cruise. Now I will get a refund one way or another. Not exactly a win-win.

Still no excuse for being yelled at by a supervisor. I was trying to support them and give them business. Not really interested in sailing with them now.

The refund policy would be clearly stated in the fist letter you received when NCL cancelled your cruise. In our case, the link to request a refund opened a few weeks after the cruise was cancelled. What does your letter say?

This is why we are not booking any cruise for the future until we see what happens to the industry in the future. I have a feeling that any future cruise credits and refunds will be null and void when the cruise lines eventually file for bankruptcy. Not willing to take the chance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BenDover said:

Neither person told me that refunds would be available beginning May 15. In fact both of them stated no refunds until “at least July”. I’ll wait and see if they start on the 15th,

To be clear - the form to REQUEST the refund will be available from May 7 to May 13.  I believe the refund will actually be applied to your form of payment 3 months after that.

• Like 2

I received some FCC prior to the COVID stuff and it was applied equally to my wife and me on our next booked cruise so that part is nothing new. As far as refunds go - the initial offer is for FCC and they seem to have various windows for you to download the form - then you wait 90 days - this part of the process is new.

3 hours ago, BenDover said:

Neither person told me that refunds would be available beginning May 15. In fact both of them stated no refunds until “at least July”. I’ll wait and see if they start on the 15th,

So, why did you have "no choice". You got a letter. Did you read the letter on when refund requests would be accepted. The letter clearly stated that you may request a cash refund between May 7 and May 13. It isn't May 7th yet.You gotta wait another week. 

And if  you were patient, you will find out on May 7th that one person requests a refund for the entire reservation. So you can submit a request and it would cover you and the grand kids. 

Guests who prefer to not take advantage of a future cruise credit for suspended sailings scheduled to embark beginning May 15, 2020, can elect to receive a lesser refund to the original form of payment 90 days after submitting a Refund Form which will be located on this page on May 7, 2020 and must be submitted no later than May 13, 2020.

Edited by BirdTravels

In my experience, airlines do the same thing.  Even though I have paid for the tickets, when a reservation id cancelled and a credit is allowed, it goes to the passenger, not the one who paid.  

Enough with the terms and conditions attached to offers of inflated FCC. Lots of strings attached, lots of unknowns, uncertainties and surprises for the unwary.

There are reasons why over 50% of passengers have reportedly elected the cash refund. Take your cash and spend your money when you want, if you want, and on whatever passengers you want. 

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, BenDover said:

Good for you.  There is no need to jump through hoops to get your money back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

this part of the process is new

New as a result of the current crisis?  Yes.

However, this has been the same process for 2 rounds and the OP is now in the 3rd round of cancellations that have had this process with a defined time period within which the refund can be requested.  The OP chose to ignore the information about when they can submit the request for refund, and the NCL rep sounds like they were not interested in providing this information.

We were booked for 2 adults and 2 teens. (March 29 sailing). We took the 100% FCC +25% bonus FCC. 

Working through our Travel Agent - We booked another cruise using each of our 25% bonus FCC as deposit, (we had to use this bonus FCC in order to get the extra 20% discount that they offered), leaving the 100% FCC in our accounts.

Then we requested that the teens' 100% FCC be transferred to the main guest.  NCL agent told our TA that their IT dept was looking into a batch process to transfer minors' FCC's to adults.  This occurred not long after our request. They placed one teen's 100% FCC in each of the 2 adult accounts.  We will use this for final payment and to purchase pre-cruise items (shore excursions etc). 

The only restriction we are aware of is that FCCs cannot be used to pre-purchase OBC

8 minutes ago, Freckles_51 said:

We booked another cruise using each of our 25% bonus FCC as deposit

At least you were able to use FCC for the deposit.  Apparently Royal is not allowing the FCC to be used for deposits, requiring a CASH DEPOSIT for new cruises, then the FCC can be used for the remainder.  Yup, NCL isn't the only cruise line with "horrible" policies...

7 minutes ago, Trimone said:

I cannot believe a major cruise company is dictating when and how you get your own money back?

I have to wonder if the staging of availability for the refund form is partially to control load on the servers.  Computer systems at major cruise lines are not set up to handle the kind of load on a single form that would be expected if they made it available to all cancelled cruisers at once, by staging the availability they can spread that traffic out. 

Just look at the unemployment systems as an example of what can happen when a system is not prepared for an influx of requests exponentially higher than normal - New York had to contract with Google to expand the number of servers in order to handle the high demand.

We received our letters yesterday.  They do NOT reference being able to ask for a refund, but I had seen that option on the website.  It is not available for our 20 May cruise until 7 May.

Originally, I was miffed about the refund going to the individual cruiser, since I paid for everyone.  However, thinking about it, that is the same policy as airlines.  I will not get that credited to my account, it will go to each person, even though I paid for everyone.

Lots of confusion and partial information abounds.....kinda like the Corona virus itself.

Everyone is scrambling and trying to keep their heads above water!

Stay safe, stay healthy, eveyone!

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

At least you were able to use FCC for the deposit.  Apparently Royal is not allowing the FCC to be used for deposits, requiring a CASH DEPOSIT for new cruises, then the FCC can be used for the remainder.  Yup, NCL isn't the only cruise line with "horrible" policies...

Hey I'm not complaining about NCL policies. 😉  Glad we were not booked with Royal.

We got a much better deal on the rebooked cruise than on the cancelled one.  Of course it is only a great deal on paper and if the sailing is not cancelled 🙃

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hallux said:

I have to wonder if the staging of availability for the refund form is partially to control load on the servers.  Computer systems at major cruise lines are not set up to handle the kind of load on a single form that would be expected if they made it available to all cancelled cruisers at once, by staging the availability they can spread that traffic out. 

Just look at the unemployment systems as an example of what can happen when a system is not prepared for an influx of requests exponentially higher than normal - New York had to contract with Google to expand the number of servers in order to handle the high demand.

I’m sorry, but when a big performer (group) cancels a worldwide tour, refunds are a great deal faster than 90 days. What’s the difference? I’ve already been refunded for the Monaco Grand Prix, how many combinations of tickets are sold for that?