Can We Save Some Alaska Cruises Even if BC Stays Closed?

radarcruiser

I’ve seen some reports that BC may not allow cruise ships to make port calls there for the rest of 2020.   Several lines have cancelled Alaska for the season. 

Im wondering - IF Seattle port opens and Alaska ports accept ships - can the cruise lines make some special arrangement to stop for only an hour in Victoria or another BC port?   These stops would not allow pax to disembark, but would merely alllow compliance with the PVSA.  Cruise lines have make similar stops in Ensenada for years to allow CA to Hawaii itineraries. 

Could this work for Seattle round trips?

I would be surprised to see any large cruise ships sail to Alaska (or Canada / New England) this year. Most of the Carnival Corp Lines (Princess, Holland America, Carnival, etc.) have already cancelled the 2020 sailings and I expect Royal Caribbean, NCL and Disney to make announcements in the next 1-2 weeks that their similar 2020 sailings are cancelled as well.

I'm not quite sure why people keep proposing changes to the rules that prevents cruises to sail without docking at a foreign port. 

People are failing to realize the reason cruises are not sailing is the cruiselines have not presented a comprehensive plan that will properly deal with the Coronavirus and keep passengers safe, prevent transmission of the virus,and if there is an outbreak how the cruiselines manage the outbreak. THAT is the focus. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Do I think it's possible that this idea could work if Alaska cruises were re-instated - yes. But I don't think it will become relevant for this year. It's May, while some cruise lines are still doing their 30 day at a time closures, some have already announced closures till August or September. If cruising was able to restart in August or September I doubt it would be financially worthwhile to attempt to restart the Alaska season for a month. I think it's safe to say at this point that there won't be an Alaska season this year. 

• Like 3

The Vancouver Sun had an article yesterday talking about how much revenue they get from the cruise industry and each cruise ship.  They said they are on their way to reopen July 1 but they can't decide as a province to do it.  I guess it will be left to Trudeau.

• Like 1

I would say the chances are slim to none.  I doubt all (any?) of the Alaska ports will be eager to accept cruise passengers at this time as they do not have the medical facilities to handle the potentially huge spike in virus cases that would result from cruise ship visitors coming onshore.   Additionally, even if Seattle opened (which is doubtful) they can only handle so many ships.  Then there is the airline situation - how many flights would be needed and how would they get those scheduled that fast.  And what about passengers from countries other than the US?  When are international flights starting up again and what countries will be allowed in?  I guess it is possible they could start by sailing with only US passengers, but even then - do they allow passengers from all states, even like mine (Illinois) where the virus is still rampant?  And then of course there is the issue of getting enough crew here in time and ready to sail.  And that is not even talking about cruising in general and how the cruise lines will comply with necessary safety protocol.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm not quite sure why people keep proposing changes to the rules that prevents cruises to sail without docking at a foreign port. 

People are failing to realize the reason cruises are not sailing is the cruiselines have not presented a comprehensive plan that will properly deal with the Coronavirus and keep passengers safe, prevent transmission of the virus,and if there is an outbreak how the cruiselines manage the outbreak. THAT is the focus. 

I am not advocating (at least in this post) proposing changes to the rules that prevent (foreign flagged) vessels from sailing without docking at a foreign port.  I am proposing a way to comply with those rules (PVSA).   

Nope.  Think about the Alaskan end of this.  Princess and HAL, who have the majority of ships, have cancelled all sailings.  If the other lines manage to get a couple of ships lined up for a late Alaska season, do you really think all the shops, shore excursions, etc. are going to be up and running?  It would not be worth their time and trouble to bring in all the workers they need and gear up for 3 or 4 cruise ships a week for 6 - 8 weeks.  

Edited by wolfie11

30 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Nope.  Think about the Alaskan end of this.  Princess and HAL, who have the majority of ships, have cancelled all sailings.  If the other lines manage to get a couple of ships lined up for a late Alaska season, do you really think all the shops, shore excursions, etc. are going to be up and running?  It would not be worth their time and trouble to bring in all the workers they need and gear up for 3 or 4 cruise ships a week for 6 - 8 weeks.  

I'm sure with the situation, the locals may need the work and step in but I have thought about it.

47 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

I am not advocating (at least in this post) proposing changes to the rules that prevent (foreign flagged) vessels from sailing without docking at a foreign port.  I am proposing a way to comply with those rules (PVSA).   

You still didn't answer the question. Has the cruiselines developed an adequate plan to deal with Covid-19 on a cruiseship? Apparently not to the satisfation odf the CDC, so the whole point of this post is moot. 

3 hours ago, radarcruiser said:

I’ve seen some reports that BC may not allow cruise ships to make port calls there for the rest of 2020.   Several lines have cancelled Alaska for the season. 

Im wondering - IF Seattle port opens and Alaska ports accept ships - can the cruise lines make some special arrangement to stop for only an hour in Victoria or another BC port?   These stops would not allow pax to disembark, but would merely alllow compliance with the PVSA.  Cruise lines have make similar stops in Ensenada for years to allow CA to Hawaii itineraries. 

Could this work for Seattle round trips?

1 hour ago, radarcruiser said:

Unfortunately, your attempt to meet with the provisions of the PVSA fails as the application of the PVSA is based on the geographic locations where passengers embark and disembark. It's all about the passengers, not the ship, so if they can't get off and later reboard in Victoria, it's a violation of the act.

47 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Unfortunately, your attempt to meet with the provisions of the PVSA fails as the application of the PVSA is based on the geographic locations where passengers embark and disembark. It's all about the passengers, not the ship, so if they can't get off and later reboard in Victoria, it's a violation of the act.

Thanks for the feedback.  Guess I’m thinking of several years ago when cruises to Hawaii threw the ropes to the dock in Ensenada in the middle of the night for an hour and no one got off.  Looks like they stay for several hours now (at least when they were cruising this year).

As for the comprehensive plan that the CDC wants, I understand that is necessary also, but that applies to all cruises to/from US and the point of my post was to find a way to make Alaska work.  

Oh well, looks like more FCC is in the cards. 

Front page headline on the Vancouver Sun today, "Canada Day opening of the port could launch cruise season."

I have my doubts, like many who have posted here note the word could.  With cancellations by major cruise lines, air problems, will the border be open, and what about quarantine, there would be many hurdles to cross in 7 weeks.

Edited by TeaBag

3 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

The Vancouver Sun had an article yesterday talking about how much revenue they get from the cruise industry and each cruise ship.  They said they are on their way to reopen July 1 but they can't decide as a province to do it.  I guess it will be left to Trudeau.

Other that the issue that cruises cannot and will not resume until a COVID vaccine is in place because a single COVID passenger would result in the cruiseline being responsible for ship to home private transport for EVERY passenger - cruising could begin.

You then have ports. Seattle closed, but Vancouver is actually open.  That, however, means nothing as BC leader stated there would be no gatherings of more than 50 people allowed until 2021 unless a vaccine available or herd immunity exists.

Last the border is closed, airlines are not flying and cruise companies need to get crews home and new crews on board and trained.  All that would require a magician for summer or fall 2020 and not likely in 2021 until there is a vaccine.

52 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Front page headline on the Vancouver Sun today, "Canada Day opening of the port could launch cruise season."

I have my doubts, like many who have posted here note the word could.  With cancellations by major cruise lines, air problems, will the border be open, and what about quarantine, there would be many hurdles to cross in 7 weeks.

Here is the article.  Interesting read.  https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-still-hope-for-vancouvers-cruise-ship-season-but-some-lines-have-cancelled-for-2020/wcm/936fefc4-c277-46de-bcdd-8bf7569a138e/

58 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Other that the issue that cruises cannot and will not resume until a COVID vaccine is in place because a single COVID passenger would result in the cruiseline being responsible for ship to home private transport for EVERY passenger - cruising could begin.

You then have ports. Seattle closed, but Vancouver is actually open.  That, however, means nothing as BC leader stated there would be no gatherings of more than 50 people allowed until 2021 unless a vaccine available or herd immunity exists.

Last the border is closed, airlines are not flying and cruise companies need to get crews home and new crews on board and trained.  All that would require a magician for summer or fall 2020 and not likely in 2021 until there is a vaccine.

That’s very much a personal opinion that I think will end up wide of the mark.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, radarcruiser said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Guess I’m thinking of several years ago when cruises to Hawaii threw the ropes to the dock in Ensenada in the middle of the night for an hour and no one got off.  Looks like they stay for several hours now (at least when they were cruising this year).

As for the comprehensive plan that the CDC wants, I understand that is necessary also, but that applies to all cruises to/from US and the point of my post was to find a way to make Alaska work.  

Oh well, looks like more FCC is in the cards. 

I'll say up front that I dont not know the ins and outs of the PVSA. But this is what I have heard here on CC. In one case the cruise guest were doing a b2b cruises Hawaii to Vancouver then on to a Alaska cruise. In this case the guest got off cruise in Victoria. Spent the night in Vancouver, then got back on the cruise ship the next morning to Alaska. This turned it into 2 separate cruises. The other one was Sydney, Hawaii, Los Angeles. In this case I think it took about a month to get worked out. Back and forth with Celebrity and moved up the latter with Celebrity. As they started in Sydney, Australia they did not have to get off in Victoria.

1 hour ago, yorky said:

That’s very much a personal opinion that I think will end up wide of the mark.

Your opinion as well.  The issue is the CDC stated until an acceptable plan is put in place by cruiselines that RCCL is our case is responsible for providing private transport for EVERY passenger to their home.

I phrase it as a question.  Ok?  How can cruises resume with a risk of COVID on board?  Under today's rules that would cost a minimum of $10K per passenger to get everyone home and think of the the reaction by the media?

If cruises resumed and COVID occurred. . . . how many ports would close? How many ships would wander about looking for a place to disembark passengers?

Sadly, I think my opinion - shared my many - will be close.  I also think we will have a vaccine early in 2021.

• Like 1

FWIW- our very first cruise on the NCL Pearl had a busted azipod that prevented us from docking in Victoria, our only Canadian port-of-call.

Conceivably, if all the stars aligned with Covid-19 in full decline and Alaska cruises resumed but BC remained closed, could anchoring offshore in Canadian waters meet the requirements of the Jones Act?

12 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I'll say up front that I dont not know the ins and outs of the PVSA. But this is what I have heard here on CC. In one case the cruise guest were doing a b2b cruises Hawaii to Vancouver then on to a Alaska cruise. In this case the guest got off cruise in Victoria. Spent the night in Vancouver, then got back on the cruise ship the next morning to Alaska. This turned it into 2 separate cruises. The other one was Sydney, Hawaii, Los Angeles. In this case I think it took about a month to get worked out. Back and forth with Celebrity and moved up the latter with Celebrity. As they started in Sydney, Australia they did not have to get off in Victoria.

The PVSA governs cruises starting and finishing in separate US ports. In the first example you cite, the PVSA would have applied had the passenger not broken it into two separate cruises by disembarking in Victoria, assuming that the Alaskan cruise terminated in Alaska. If it was a RT out of Vancouver, the guest would have been ok without breaking it into two separate cruises. The Sydney cruise is fine as it started in a foreign country, not the US. 

For more information on the PVSA and cruising: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3363 

• Thanks 1