Happy Victoria Day!

And Best Wishes to our Canadian friends - Stay Safe! 

image.png.75984087386532cedafd144ba3533b8c.png

Normally, we would be at our Kawartha Lakes cottage feasting on peameal bacon, chelsea buns, and butter tarts today! I sure hope the border opens up later this summer. Missing out on cruises and a summer at the lake would be sad.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy Victoria to all those in Newfoundland & Labrador (I'll miss you this summer), New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, and the Yukon, Northwest, and Nunavut Territories, and wishing the remaining 3 Provinces will join your fellow citizens in a great celebration.

Roy

• Like 4

Fun fact that most Canadians don't even know.   Whilst called Victoria Day,  it is the also the extant Sovereign's official birthday celebration in Canada, so HBD ma'am (being HM Queen Elizabeth II). And if you're of a certain age you'll likely remember it being called Firecracker Day.   Scott.  

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 3

Just now, YXU AC*SE said:

I wouldn't argue with results ...         Scott. 

image.thumb.png.20f3eaa078df80444326cd8bf561219f.png

LOL Scott.  We are allowed to garden in our own backyards.  I have a broken foot.  That’s why it is forbidden 😉 

But, so far, so good on our covid cases.  We are cautiously re-opening and I pray all goes well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Victoria to all those in Newfoundland & Labrador (I'll miss you this summer), New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, and the Yukon, Northwest, and Nunavut Territories, and wishing the remaining 3 Provinces will join your fellow citizens in a great celebration.

Roy

Would you please explain the above comment about the 3 remaining provinces.   I did not know we had a situation with them not being considered in the Victoria day celebration.   I could understand Quebec thinking that way, but not the other two.

3 minutes ago, boards said:

Would you please explain the above comment about the 3 remaining provinces.   I did not know we had a situation with them not being considered in the Victoria day celebration.   I could understand Quebec thinking that way, but not the other two.

I wish I could explain but I can't.  Quebec actually celebrates something like "National Patriots Day" but the other two have me completely baffled.  I wonder if we have any cruisers in Nova Scotia or PEI who could enlighten us.

My parents actually grew up in Quebec.  Much of the area South of Montreal was English at the time but most of the English speakers have seen the hand writing on the wall and left.  The family homestead on my mother's side is in Howick, about a half hour south of the Mercier bridge,  My cousin still lives there and I was hoping to visit this fall between Crystal Serenity and Volendam.

Roy

1 hour ago, boards said:

50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wish I could explain but I can't.  Quebec actually celebrates something like "National Patriots Day" but the other two have me completely baffled.  I wonder if we have any cruisers in Nova Scotia or PEI who could enlighten us.

My parents actually grew up in Quebec.  Much of the area South of Montreal was English at the time but most of the English speakers have seen the hand writing on the wall and left.  The family homestead on my mother's side is in Howick, about a half hour south of the Mercier bridge,  My cousin still lives there and I was hoping to visit this fall between Crystal Serenity and Volendam.

Roy

I am afraid my dear friend Roy is in error.

Having lived in Nova Scotia I can certainly assure you that it is celebrated there.  It’s a regional holiday, not statutory but mostly everything is closed.

Victoria Day is certainly celebrated in both PEI and it is a statuatory holiday.

The Maritimers celebrate this for sure.

In case I am doubted.... here is Nova Scotia

663E26EC-0A86-44A8-B65A-A2A08256B45F.thumb.jpeg.d41d9a0a2ce6d44cfd5dadc2f633312e.jpeg

And PEI’s

0F41BE5A-DB86-4FD2-9156-21A8B6F4C96C.thumb.jpeg.c0445340aebcb4ec7bc814600d3e2ae8.jpeg

We all celebrate Victoria Day on the East Coast 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Victoria Day  from the not so "frozen tundra" mid-Western Canada!  I took a break from my mask-making and spent a good part of the day planting annuals all over the yard.  Let's hope Frosty stays away for a long while, so I don't have to go out every evening and cover them up!

@YXU AC*SE, I've never heard of Firecracker Day . . .

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder what the difference is between a Statutory holiday and a Regional holiday.

Glad it's celebrated though.

Roy

Typically the former is a Federal or country-wide holiday vs a provincial holiday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder what the difference is between a Statutory holiday and a Regional holiday.

Glad it's celebrated though.

Roy

Overlapping legislative jurisdiction -- 

Federally there are only three holidays set -- Canada (former Dominion) Day; Victoria Day - the Sovereign's official birthday in Canada; and Remembrance Day (your Veterans' Day)  - "being the day in the year 1918 on which the Great War was triumphantly concluded by an armistice, is a legal holiday and shall be kept and observed as such throughout Canada under the name of 'Remembrance Day'."

Provinces themselves set their own statutory (ie set by statute) holidays based on their own calendars / communities of interest.  Québec isn't particularly enamoured w/ the monarchy so they have Fête des patriotes today, and Fête nationale du Québec / Fête de la Saint-Jean-Baptiste - St John the Baptist Day -- who is the patron saint of Québec -- on 24th June, which isn't celebrated elsewhere in Canada.   

The best US example I can think of is how MLK day is a federal holiday -- but at the state-level it's hit and miss as to who works and who doesn't.   Scott. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm envious of those with the sun. It has been rainy and downright cold today (I don't care that they said that it was 12ºC, it felt like 8ºC YUCK! I remember Firecracker Day, and doing fireworks art in school (and teaching same later in life). Happy Victoria Day across our great country.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

I'm envious of those with the sun. It has been rainy and downright cold today (I don't care that they said that it was 12ºC, it felt like 8ºC YUCK! I remember Firecracker Day, and doing fireworks art in school (and teaching same later in life). Happy Victoria Day across our great country.

Indeed, this was certainly not a day of Queen's weather. Although there were no large (official) firework displays this Victoria Day, countless dozens of unofficial firework displays have been set off. The mayor of Toronto requested that people not have firework displays because it might attract a crowd. Whether crowds formed or not I do not know as I have been watching some of the fireworks from my balcony. Given the cold, the wind and drizzle I doubt there are enough people out to constitute a crowd.

God Save the Queen - Vive  la Reine!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kazu said:

LOL Scott.  We are allowed to garden in our own backyards.  I have a broken foot.  That’s why it is forbidden 😉 

But, so far, so good on our covid cases.  We are cautiously re-opening and I pray all goes well.

Wish you a speedy recovery of your broken foot and happy Victoria day. Peter & Monica