Will first sailings in August need to quarantine after?

We are set to sail Symphony on 8/29/20. I give a slight chance we might sail as I have read some good guesses about ships in Florida cleared to sail 8/1.

My big concern is that the CDC might require people coming off cruises quarantine for 14 days.

Personally I can't see sailing going forward with a requirement to quarantine after. 

Is there any requirement in place now that would require this in August?

Impossible to tell right now what the requirements will be in August.  Since ships aren't currently sailing the updated procedures have not been posted

Personally if a quarantine is mandatory I cannot see cruising resuming

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

Some employers might have something like that, but don't believe any gov't mandate of such exists, yet.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Some employers might have something like that, but don't believe any gov't mandate of such exists, yet.

My employer had a work from home order for post traveling before the full Stay at home kicked in.

But we are all working from home now, so that wouldn't be a problem.

My biggest issues is booked this at the end of the summer right before the kids go back to school. We still might be remote learning by then anyhow. But if they do open and the kids aren't allowed to go to school for two weeks would send my wife over the cliff.

Edited by JoeFan
  • Like 1

Ok, if flights from other countries and our country were readily available how long would it take RCCL to assemble a working crew for the cruise ships that do sail?

How many days 60- 75 days? If that is the case they better get explaining how new life on a cruiseship will now be like today. Where is their outline as to how things are going to be handled onboard.....I think everyone should wait to hear what that is going to be like before packing your bags.

It's going to be a logistical-nightmare just moving around the ship, not even to mention getting off at any of the ports.

I don't see it happening that fast..

I think you are expecting alot to happen very short period of time.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

I saw a carnival post that a pvp told the client there is a reason for only 3 ports to start. They only are sure they can pull together enough crew for 3 ports. If they had more ports and it was all of florida you would have other ships starting from say Tampa or ft ,Lauderdale.

It's a matter of pulling crew together to start slowly she was told

They cant start all cruises at once.

I might self quarantine if not vaccinated. My parents are elderly. I'd stay away from them for 2 weeks.

Edited by firefly333

The cruiselines should pay those people to be the first "human guinea pigs" to sail and tell them no internet onboard. Wouldn't want to hear all the whining going on.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Mederma that vaccine company says first will be in January... people keep hoping by when school starts. They said not for public until at least next january. And who gets it first? Wouldnt be enough for everyone

Well we all know how cruisers hate to go to the back of the line.....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

And who gets it first?

The wealthy and well connected of course!

I would hope first responders would get it first and then those in nursing homes including staff. Then all of those with underlying health conditions. Wishful thinking I know.

• Like 4

I heard first responders too. My parents will be 94 and 102 by then but dont live in assisted living. Assisted living i imagine early on.

One of the reporters asked what if there is a vaccine from china will we get it? Many are in the process.

We are on the outs with china. So I have no idea when I could get it, though I'm over 65, lol jimbo not because I'm a cruiser.

Edited by firefly333

Of course no one knows, but JMO I would bet there's no quarantine unless there is a suspected case onboard - and then all bets are off 😊

Here's an article with a CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association) executive talking about different things on the table now:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/clia-crafting-curb-curb-framework-safe-cruising-covid-19-era

Also, just to give you an idea of some of the measures that might be implemented by cruise lines in other countries, take a look at what Genting Cruises Asia (Dream Cruises/Star Cruises) had listed as possibilities a month ago:

Embarkation/disembarkation

There will be mandatory temperature screening and pre-boarding health declarations for all travelers and an infrared fever screening system at the gangway. Sanitation and disinfection of the gangway and all passenger walkways will be increased.       

Those 70 and older will need to provide a doctor’s certificate of fitness for travel. Stringent checks for all embarking individuals will include crew travel documents.  

To minimize congestion in the cruise terminal, passengers will complete online check-in with a designated arrival time. There will be additional areas for cruise boarding and disembarkation, with staggered times.

Guest cabins

Accommodations will be cleaned with higher frequency and increased levels of sanitation and disinfection using hospital-grade disinfectants. This will include twice-daily wipe-down of cabins and corridors, and fogging of vacant cabins and corridors. Bathrooms will get treated with heavy-duty alkaline bathroom cleaner and disinfectant.

Food items will be removed in a timely manner to prevent spoilage and cultivation of microorganisms and bacteria.

Bedsheets and linens will be professionally cleaned and disinfected at high temperatures.

Diluted cleaning solution will be injected into drains to avoid clogged pipes and prevent bacterial growth.

In case of sickness, rooms will get thorough hospital-grade disinfectant and fogging.

Public areas

All public areas will undergo a two-tier sanitization process with thorough cleansing, fogging and wiping using hospital-grade disinfectant, with this frequency schedule: elevators (every two hours), public areas and facilities (two to 10 times daily), spa (at least twice daily).

The frequency of disinfection for other areas will be adjusted accordingly.

Common areas will be sanitized from once daily to two to four times daily and frequent touchpoints such as handrails, lift buttons, table-tops and door handles will be sterilized every hour or more often during peak hours such as embarkation/disembarkation, return from shore excursions and meal times.

A heavy-duty neutral PH floor-cleaning agent will be used frequently to disinfect all floors of the ship.

Hand sanitizers will be available in public areas, including all food and beverage areas and entertainment facility entrances, with crew members stationed at key venues to monitor.

Food hygiene practices/standards

All F&B areas including restaurants, bars and galleys will be cleaned and sanitized three times daily, during and after service.

Guest seating will ensure ample spacing. Disposable cutlery will be provided upon request.

Self-service at buffet restaurants will be suspended, with all food service crew wearing face masks and disposable gloves.

The use of wild animals and related products in food preparation is strictly prohibited. Stringent procurement guidelines will be enforced and product sourcing from highly affected regions will be strictly prohibited.

Entertainment/recreational activities

Theaters will be sanitized before and after each show and 3D glasses disinfected before and after use. Toys, games and Kids’ Club facilities will be cleaned twice daily and/or after every use.

Duty-free shops and entertainment venues will be disinfected twice daily before and after service. Recreational equipment will be disinfected every two hours before guest use.

Capacity will be limited to half the venue capacity to provide ample space between guests.

Spa and gym facilities will be sanitized prior to and after use.

Shore excursions

Tour coaches will be limited to half capacity and sanitized frequently; training for tour operators will be based on guidance from the World Health Organization.

HVAC

Genting said 100% external fresh air will be filtered and supplied to passenger cabins and public areas. Air filters and cooling coils will be thoroughly checked, cleaned and replaced to ensure healthy air quality.

Medical center

Isolated wards will be available. Contaminated items and medical waste will be properly sealed and disposed according to health and safety guidelines. Used face masks and protective equipment will be disposed at designated central collection points.

Medical equipment and waste bins will be cleaned, disinfected and washed twice daily with hospital grade disinfectant.

Medical center isolation staff dealing with suspected infectious cases will have to wear adequate personal protection including face mask, eye protection and disposable gloves and outer garment, along with proper hand-washing procedures. They will need to update their personal health information daily.

Crew practices and standards

Crew will undergo twice daily temperature checks. All frontline crew are required to wear face masks.

Housekeeping and F&B crew are required to wear disposable gloves. Designated crew may also wear protective garments and eye protection if required.

All crew are to use anti-bacterial hand soap for at least 20 seconds to regularly sanitize hands. 

Workshops and crew training on pertinent health and safety measures will be provided.

Crew movements will be reduced.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/rigorous-genting-measures-show-what-cruise-lines-may-do-post-covid-19-era

(Note: I especially like this line "The use of wild animals and related products in food preparation is strictly prohibited" LOL 😁

Edited by SeaHunt

3 hours ago, JoeFan said:

We are set to sail Symphony on 8/29/20. I give a slight chance we might sail as I have read some good guesses about ships in Florida cleared to sail 8/1.

My big concern is that the CDC might require people coming off cruises quarantine for 14 days.

Personally I can't see sailing going forward with a requirement to quarantine after. 

Not sure how I could effectively quarantine after a cruise. I would have either an airline flight or an 8 Hour drive home.  

m

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

There will be mandatory temperature screening

This is actually pretty useless as most “carriers” of COVID19 are Asymptomatic and have no signs of the disease. And that is a major block for ships going back to cruising. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I wouldn't cruise with a mandatory 14 day quarantine afterward.

Probably no one else would either.

The problem is going to be when it is not required but if there is an outbreak while on the cruise and then it is mandatory when you get back. Which means the airlines and hotels would not let you in.

2 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Of course no one knows, but JMO I would bet there's no quarantine unless there is a suspected case onboard - and then all bets are off 😊

Here's an article with a CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association) executive talking about different things on the table now:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/clia-crafting-curb-curb-framework-safe-cruising-covid-19-era

Also, just to give you an idea of some of the measures that might be implemented by cruise lines in other countries, take a look at what Genting Cruises Asia (Dream Cruises/Star Cruises) had listed as possibilities a month ago:

There will be mandatory temperature screening and pre-boarding health declarations for all travelers and an infrared fever screening system at the gangway. Sanitation and disinfection of the gangway and all passenger walkways will be increased.       

Those 70 and older will need to provide a doctor’s certificate of fitness for travel. Stringent checks for all embarking individuals will include crew travel documents.  

To minimize congestion in the cruise terminal, passengers will complete online check-in with a designated arrival time. There will be additional areas for cruise boarding and disembarkation, with staggered times.

Guest cabins

Accommodations will be cleaned with higher frequency and increased levels of sanitation and disinfection using hospital-grade disinfectants. This will include twice-daily wipe-down of cabins and corridors, and fogging of vacant cabins and corridors. Bathrooms will get treated with heavy-duty alkaline bathroom cleaner and disinfectant.

Food items will be removed in a timely manner to prevent spoilage and cultivation of microorganisms and bacteria.

Bedsheets and linens will be professionally cleaned and disinfected at high temperatures.

Diluted cleaning solution will be injected into drains to avoid clogged pipes and prevent bacterial growth.

In case of sickness, rooms will get thorough hospital-grade disinfectant and fogging.

Public areas

All public areas will undergo a two-tier sanitization process with thorough cleansing, fogging and wiping using hospital-grade disinfectant, with this frequency schedule: elevators (every two hours), public areas and facilities (two to 10 times daily), spa (at least twice daily).

The frequency of disinfection for other areas will be adjusted accordingly.

Common areas will be sanitized from once daily to two to four times daily and frequent touchpoints such as handrails, lift buttons, table-tops and door handles will be sterilized every hour or more often during peak hours such as embarkation/disembarkation, return from shore excursions and meal times.

A heavy-duty neutral PH floor-cleaning agent will be used frequently to disinfect all floors of the ship.

Hand sanitizers will be available in public areas, including all food and beverage areas and entertainment facility entrances, with crew members stationed at key venues to monitor.

Food hygiene practices/standards

All F&B areas including restaurants, bars and galleys will be cleaned and sanitized three times daily, during and after service.

Guest seating will ensure ample spacing. Disposable cutlery will be provided upon request.

Self-service at buffet restaurants will be suspended, with all food service crew wearing face masks and disposable gloves.

The use of wild animals and related products in food preparation is strictly prohibited. Stringent procurement guidelines will be enforced and product sourcing from highly affected regions will be strictly prohibited.

Entertainment/recreational activities

Theaters will be sanitized before and after each show and 3D glasses disinfected before and after use. Toys, games and Kids’ Club facilities will be cleaned twice daily and/or after every use.

Duty-free shops and entertainment venues will be disinfected twice daily before and after service. Recreational equipment will be disinfected every two hours before guest use.

Capacity will be limited to half the venue capacity to provide ample space between guests.

Spa and gym facilities will be sanitized prior to and after use.

Shore excursions

Tour coaches will be limited to half capacity and sanitized frequently; training for tour operators will be based on guidance from the World Health Organization.

HVAC

Genting said 100% external fresh air will be filtered and supplied to passenger cabins and public areas. Air filters and cooling coils will be thoroughly checked, cleaned and replaced to ensure healthy air quality.

Medical center

Isolated wards will be available. Contaminated items and medical waste will be properly sealed and disposed according to health and safety guidelines. Used face masks and protective equipment will be disposed at designated central collection points.

Medical equipment and waste bins will be cleaned, disinfected and washed twice daily with hospital grade disinfectant.

Medical center isolation staff dealing with suspected infectious cases will have to wear adequate personal protection including face mask, eye protection and disposable gloves and outer garment, along with proper hand-washing procedures. They will need to update their personal health information daily.

Crew practices and standards

Crew will undergo twice daily temperature checks. All frontline crew are required to wear face masks.

Housekeeping and F&B crew are required to wear disposable gloves. Designated crew may also wear protective garments and eye protection if required.

All crew are to use anti-bacterial hand soap for at least 20 seconds to regularly sanitize hands. 

Workshops and crew training on pertinent health and safety measures will be provided.

Crew movements will be reduced.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/rigorous-genting-measures-show-what-cruise-lines-may-do-post-covid-19-era

(Note: I especially like this line "The use of wild animals and related products in food preparation is strictly prohibited" LOL 😁

Sounds like you are signing up for the Army...........I guess that will give it the "WOW" factor..........sounds like the ship will be like living in a Clorox Container for a week. Not for me.......Can have more fun by staying home.

I can wait until all that goes away.............

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Damn.   I would really miss that special first day boarding lunch of Honey Stung Possum.

• Haha 1

Don't think about it as an previously unannounced 14 day post cruise quarantine-think of it as a surprise bonus cruising opportunity with fellow infected passengers.  Roll the Dice!!!

Edited by Stallion

6 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

The one saying laundry would be "professionally cleaned" was interesting too.

How is cruising going to start back up during the summer when there are people still floating around that cannot seem to get OFF the ships they are on now?

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I wonder if this means we are back to the doctor's letter that Royal had and then took off their web site. Fitness for travel could mean a lot of things. 

I was 70 in February and while having my cholesterol lowered to normal by medication would not stop me from traveling, the doctor's letter might stop me in Coronavirus times. I plan to wait to cruise until there is a vaccine. If the doctor's letter is still there, we will have to see. Cruising was my favorite vacation, but I might have to find a new one.