Butler Duties

nextariel

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

He z - how is your recovery going or are you all healed by now?

In health and bon voyage

"All healed" never really happens after a heart attack but I am doing well.    All my key numbers are very good, playing golf 3 times a week (and able to walk 18 if I want), and trying to eat well.    Hoping to be out on the seas again in 2Q next year.     Thanks for asking.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

Our cruise in April '21 on Edge (fingers crossed) will be our first in a suite.    We don't believe in tipping....we believe in OVER tipping.   What is an appropriate tip for a good butler for a 7 day cruise??    I understand from the thread that their job is very different from the state room attendant, but I have no idea if they should be tipped on par, or more, or less than a cabin attendant.

TIA 

I am def with you, I over tip.  I use the butler services a lot...after I introduce myself, I give him/her $50.  On the last night I give $100.  Again, I use their amazing service a lot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We also use the butler's services a lot.

I addition to meals served in the room (usually breakfast) we also host several cocktail parties in the suite.

The butler handles liquor, wine and food and well as party setup (we pay for any additional charges).

We really appreciate his attention.

In addition to the standard automatic tips, we give the butler an additional tip of between $15 to $20 per day.

Bob (and Terry)

Edited by Ravbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sail about 1/2 the time in suites and have never pre-tipped and almost always tip extra at the end (there is an included auto tip).    Do I care if people want to tip up front, No, the staff appreciates any $$ they get as that's why they do the job.   I will tip extra during the trip if I request something out of the ordinary like having a social get together in the suite and have the butler setup some snacks.   The amount of extra tip at the end depends on how much I use the regular services such as room service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my one and only suite experience (on NCL), I tipped the night before disembarking. I have a feeling he provided me the same excellent service if I tipped him up front, or at the end.  I think in general they are people working in hospitality and they aim to please no matter what.  After all, it seems that the butlers are promoted into the position from steward.  While someone may not have met the personal expectations of a guest, I have yet to hear a staff member on a cruise be rude to a guest.  I doubt they would last long in the industry.

I'm looking forward to my next cruise in April 2021 (God willing) when I will be in a Royal Suite, and first time on Celebrity.

Edited by nyc2pdx

If it's all the same, I'm enjoying this thread and would like to see what everyone has to say.  We have our first suite of any kind booked for December 2021 aboard the Edge.  We have no idea what a butler can and cannot do, so this thread has been very helpful.  I'm just concerned that this could be a very costly cruise because my DW and I are both Tauruses and could easily get used to the Suite Life.

Frederick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nyc2pdx said:

In my one and only suite experience (on NCL), I tipped the night before disembarking. I have a feeling he provided me the same excellent service if I tipped him up front, or at the end.  I think in general they are people working in hospitality and they aim to please no matter what.  After all, it seems that the butlers are promoted into the position from steward.  While someone may not have met the personal expectations of a guest, I have yet to hear a staff member on a cruise be rude to a guest.  I doubt they would last long in the industry.

I'm looking forward to my next cruise in April 2021 (God willing) when I will be in a Royal Suite, and first time on Celebrity.

You will love royal suite on celebrity amazing suite and fantastic perks did it on infinity in February, have a sky suite on edge in April.

We once had a party and our butler helped us deliver invitations.  We enjoy the daily visits and insight on things going on, what to do, where, when.  You can make special requests for your cabin.  If you encounter anything you either don't understand or need help with, the butler is a great resource.  I know they will pack/unpack for you but never done this.  I'm sure there are a lot of other benefits but have to say that just the chatting and insights have been our favorites.  The insider info can be priceless.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:39 PM, fsdorado said:

If it's all the same, I'm enjoying this thread and would like to see what everyone has to say.  We have our first suite of any kind booked for December 2021 aboard the Edge.  We have no idea what a butler can and cannot do, so this thread has been very helpful.  I'm just concerned that this could be a very costly cruise because my DW and I are both Tauruses and could easily get used to the Suite Life.

Frederick

I sure hope this cruise sails for you both!  Once you stay in a suite and experience one of Celebrity's AMAZING butlers, you will be hooked and never want to sail any other way!  Have fun

On 9/18/2020 at 3:39 PM, fsdorado said:

Frederick

You don’t have to be Tauruses to get used to the Suite Life. 😎

I’m pretty sure you won’t look back. 😁

Enjoy!

Edited by C-Dragons

We travelled in a Royal Suite with friends in a Sky Suite, our butler set up dinner for us one night, took our orders, served it and cleaned up. Very simple dinner because we had had a big excursion that day and didn’t want to get dressed up for Luminae. He made salads, a steak that we split into an elegant dinner

• Like 1

On Silhouette last October we had Natalia (First female butler we've had ).  She was fabulous! 

One evening I had gone to Michaels to get our pre dinner drinks sorted leaving my DW in the room finishing getting ready. Natalia, on coming in to check turn down discovered my DW I had not yet gone to dinner and helped her fix her hair.  She had been struggling to get it up into a particular design.  (apparently Its like reverse parking with your eys shut and if you get it wrong the first time its a pest to get right!)  As I had already gone down Natalia enabeled my DW get it right.  Not a butler service we would have requested - but massively appreciated!

28 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We have sailed many times in suites.  Honestly, we have had some excellent butlers, some ok, and one horrible.  But overall we really enjoy the special service!  Of course you pay for it!

Perfectly stated for me too and I don't need to post how much I tip. That is personal to me and dependent on the service I received. 

Phil 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We had a female butler on Summit a number of years ago.  We were having trouble getting the whirlpool tub to work so she fixed it and drew a bath for my DH.  Unbeknownst to us, she added body wash. Here's the results. (it's not X rated)

c - very nice, for sure!

Did you bring that Butler back home with you? LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had a butler once --- a very nice gentleman , made us feel as if we were his " most important " guests. 

Unfortunately for us, we didn't need much service , but always enjoyed chatting and hearing about his life on board, his family, and sharing stories about what it's like working in the Service Industry.  

Just writing this brings back such nice memories. 

( LOL -- the last time someone " drew a bath " for me was when I was 2 yrs old )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

We had a butler once --- a very nice gentleman , made us feel as if we were his " most important " guests. 

Unfortunately for us, we didn't need much service , but always enjoyed chatting and hearing about his life on board, his family, and sharing stories about what it's like working in the Service Industry.  

Just writing this brings back such nice memories. 

( LOL -- the last time someone " drew a bath " for me was when I was 2 yrs old )

They sure do work very hard and I too love getting to know them a bit as well, swapping stories, family stuff etc.  I am one that enjoys the room and balcony and probably spend more time than most, so having the butler totally ramps that up.

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

They sure do work very hard and I too love getting to know them a bit as well, swapping stories, family stuff etc.  I am one that enjoys the room and balcony and probably spend more time than most, so having the butler totally ramps that up.

For that matter, we never had poor service from our room Steward or any other Staff member on any cruise -- 

" Treat people the way they want to be treated, not the way you want to be treated "-- it works every time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1