Unlimited Dining Package

Anyone know if I need to prepay for the package for a picky 12 yo that won’t eat much? He is normally only a $10 charge at a specialty. I don’t want to pay $199 if I can get away with  $10 a day. I can’t imagine with 4 total it would change whether we can get a table or not! Thoughts anyone??

1 hour ago, brmoqueen said:

Anyone know if I need to prepay for the package for a picky 12 yo that won’t eat much? He is normally only a $10 charge at a specialty. I don’t want to pay $199 if I can get away with  $10 a day. I can’t imagine with 4 total it would change whether we can get a table or not! Thoughts anyone??

Book for everyone else and add him on board at each restaurant. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ToroAzul said:

Sidebar, do I have to buy UDP for my 10 and 4 year old? 

Obviously wife and I are purchasing

Just saw answered above

I'm not sure about a 10 y.o. However, I can verify that a 4 y.o. is not required to get it. We took our niece and her 4 y.o. daughter

on the "Harmony" last December, we had the UDP for the 3 of us and the little one just ate whatever.

4 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

Can you use the ultimate dining package on a holiday like thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving yes.

Christmas, New Years are a different story.  If the restaurant is offering a special holiday dinner (read inflated price) then tje dining package is not valid at that restaurant on that day. 

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanksgiving yes.

Christmas, New Years are a different story.  If the restaurant is offering a special holiday dinner (read inflated price) then tje dining package is not valid at that restaurant on that day. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 9:41 PM, TXHappyCruiser said:

I purchased the unlimited dining package for my next cruise.  What did you like best about having it?  Did anyone have any issues with using it?

We also enjoy the unlimited dining package on the Oasis class ships.  When you board the ship, go to a ships representative sitting at a desk by the entrance to the ship- they are also located at little kiosks all around the ship.  You must book the restaurant, date and time to dine in each.  We never had a problem as we enjoy dinner at 6:00 and it appears the later times are more popular.  We really prefer going to the special restaurants for dinner and those that are open for lunch.  We also make lunch reservations, except for Johnny Rockets.  Also not every specialty restaurant is open for lunch- they rotate days.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We have ordered lunch to go from Izumi with the UDP

Although whether they want to do it may vary from ship to ship. I wanted to order lunch from Izumi (just one item - my favourite roll) on the UDP and they said I had to dine in. I pointed out that a) it would be quicker and easier for them to give me lunch in a bag rather than go through the rigmarole of setting up a table, pouring water etc and b) if I sat down and ordered my food and then said I couldn't eat it all or had an emergency and needed to go would they bag it up for me and the answer was yes. After some consideration and discussion with a supervisor, they agreed to let me have lunch to go 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think they are becoming more amenable (at least they were, BC) to allowing take-outs.  Their concern (at least what they told me last year) was that someone would leave the food unrefrigerated, eat it later  get food poisoning and then try and blame the restaurant.  Sushi is particularly dangerous for leaving unrefrigerated.  But I guess they had allowed it for some period of time and had no problems, so maybe they're a little more relaxed about it than they used to be.

Of course, this leads me to recall the many times we have arrived in our Star Class suite to find a number of sushi-esque  snacks waiting for us.  No telling how long they had sat out.  We never eat those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I think they are becoming more amenable (at least they were, BC) to allowing take-outs.  Their concern (at least what they told me last year) was that someone would leave the food unrefrigerated, eat it later  get food poisoning and then try and blame the restaurant.  Sushi is particularly dangerous for leaving unrefrigerated.  But I guess they had allowed it for some period of time and had no problems, so maybe they're a little more relaxed about it than they used to be.

Of course, this leads me to recall the many times we have arrived in our Star Class suite to find a number of sushi-esque  snacks waiting for us.  No telling how long they had sat out.  We never eat those.

Yet when one orders ala-cart they can take as much as they want wherever they want. So not sure this logic sticks. 

3 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

How does tipping work for this?  Do you just leave some cash at the table?  

Gratuities are included in the UDP.  You can leave more if you want...either added to the $0 bill using your seapass card or in cash

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

We just booked UDP makes sense for us since we eat almost every dinner in a specialty, we are in a suite but wasn’t that impressed with CK on our oasis cruise, this is allure and price is slightly less than 25 a day for our 8 day cruise.

3 hours ago, bigrednole said:

We will get one entre and share it. 

This is also our philosophy.  Rarely can we both eat a full entree.  We also tend to eat more appetizers and fewer entrees.  Having said that, we always purchase the UDP unless it is a long cruise.

• Like 1

I ordered the UDP for the Radiance and for Explorer since 1.  we usually eat at specialty and buffet and never in MDR, 2.  grab and go buffet may be different with Covid.  3.  price was $154 for 7 days for both.  4.  Realization we could use it at lunch.  

We usually skip lunch and eat a late dinner but I am liking these suggestions about appetizers and/or Izumi for lunch.  I always liked Izumi because it wasn't crowded.

• Like 2