When will things start back up?

KS&JW

2 hours ago, dj_crusin said:

The USA Today item leaves a lot out. The CDC wanted to extend the ban to mid-February. Apparently Pence, hiding behind the Corona Virus Task Force, has said the ban should only extend until October 31 (same as current CLIA ban) so that nothing changes before the election. 

There's supposed to be another meeting this Friday. Who knows who'll be at that one (?). In any case, I'm hoping O does the right thing and continues its ban until the CDC ideal of mid-February.

Since it's the end of the month, I expect well here from O before the end of the week.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The USA Today item leaves a lot out. The CDC wanted to extend the ban to mid-February. Apparently Pence, hiding behind the Corona Virus Task Force, has said the ban should only extend until October 31 (same as current CLIA ban) so that nothing changes before the election. 

There's supposed to be another meeting this Friday. Who knows who'll be at that one (?). In any case, I'm hoping O does the right thing and continues its ban until the CDC ideal of mid-February.

Since it's the end of the month, I expect well here from O before the end of the week.

+1

Fauci in particular, and the CDC in general have said they do NOT consider economic consequences in any of their recommendations or rulings. Economic consequences are strictly the purview of others. Blasting leaders because they do consider economic consequences is nonsense.

This reminds me of when I was President of a large HOA. Whenever we received our insurance bill, the first thing the Agency would say is “Want to cut your bill? Fill in your swimming pool, and shut down the tennis courts. Fill in the ponds with the fountains. All to dangerous!” They didn’t care about the enjoyment the residents got out of the pool and tennis courts, the youth swimming teams that were heavily subscibed, or anything else. They merely assigned and charged for risk. Both are Agents with blinders on. Cruising was probably never “ safe” for the CDC and will never be in the future. Someone looking at the larger picture will have to decide.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Fauci in particular, and the CDC in general have said they do NOT consider economic consequences in any of their recommendations or rulings. Economic consequences are strictly the purview of others. Blasting leaders because they do consider economic consequences is nonsense.

This reminds me of when I was President of a large HOA. Whenever we received our insurance bill, the first thing the Agency would say is “Want to cut your bill? Fill in your swimming pool, and shut down the tennis courts. Fill in the ponds with the fountains. All to dangerous!” They didn’t care about the enjoyment the residents got out of the pool and tennis courts, the youth swimming teams that were heavily subscibed, or anything else. They merely assigned and charged for risk. Both are Agents with blinders on. Cruising was probably never “ safe” for the CDC and will never be in the future. Someone looking at the larger picture will have to decide.

BRAVO !!  👏

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

That's the yin and the yang.  Have to know what is good for you. 

• Like 1

Knowing it takes 60 days to get prepared, he does nothing and waits until 24 days out from November to cancel November cruises. FDR is a class act. NOT!

So FDR, are you currently getting any ships ready to sail in December? Have you started hiring crew and preparing the ships? Yes or No, simple and straightforward.

• Like 1

Don's Family Vacations, a video blog on youtube, said that some crew members of a cruiseline has informed him that the cruiseline has informed them to report back to their ship asap.  This cruiseline is probably Princess, Don's cruiseline preference, so it may not applied to Oceania/NCL.  However, if it takes 60 days to get a ship ready, the Christmas holiday sailings could be the targeted sailings for the resumption of cruising.    

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I sticking with Jancruz’s earlier response. Things won’t start back up until 1 February and then only one ship per ( NCLH) Line. The Boss will have to prove her wrong.

Did you not offer to bet me $100 that O ships will sail before the end of 2020?

I counteroffered the bet for a 49ers mask if I win.

The bet was never finalized and I don't really want anything should I be right - just reminiscing.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Knowing it takes 60 days to get prepared, he does nothing and waits until 24 days out from November to cancel November cruises. FDR is a class act. NOT!

So FDR, are you currently getting any ships ready to sail in December? Have you started hiring crew and preparing the ships? Yes or No, simple and straightforward.

Norwegian Joy is currently en route to Manila and expected to arrive on October 11.  It would not at all be surprising if the purpose of the voyage is to pick up crew for NCLH's first ships to restart operations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Did you not offer to bet me $100 that O ships will sail before the end of 2020?

I counteroffered the bet for a 49ers mask if I win.

The bet was never finalized and I don't really want anything should I be right - just reminiscing.

I absolutely made the bet and don’t mind paying if I lose it.

My gut feeling still tells me Oceania wants to run the Christmas cruises, especially the Carribe ones. OTH, it’s hard to ignore Jancruz’s pointed remark. The bet still has 86 days to play out. We’ll see, time will tell.

51 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

My gut feeling still tells me Oceania wants to run the Christmas cruises, especially the Carribe ones.

The Caribbean ones would be the only ones with a slim chance of operating.

Looking at the countries involved with the other December cruises....no chance.

Edited by Tranquility Base

Not a real surprise, but good to see Royal Caribbean Group  being proactive.

Celebrity is suspending their full 2020 / 2021 Winter program in Australia and Asia.

Azamara is suspending their 2020 / 2021 Winter sailings throughout Australia & New Zealand, South Africa  and South America.

Edited by Tranquility Base

17 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Don's Family Vacations, a video blog on youtube, said that some crew members of a cruiseline has informed him that the cruiseline has informed them to report back to their ship asap....

This reminded me of the following:

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.

And who's on first?      Very cute

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

Your opinion is so insightful, could you expand upon it?

Don happens to be one of earlier video bloggers on youtube.  I find him quite reliable as he is a travel agent also.

20 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

The Caribbean ones would be the only ones with a slim chance of operating.

Looking at the countries involved with the other December cruises....no chance.

If the US cruise lines aren’t sailing by Christmas, and proving they can successfully do so, the day after our Inauguration Day the No Sail Order could be extended until 10/31/21. This would be devastating for the industry and many communities in the US. The first shot at 2/1/20 was an easily recognized ploy to get initially beyond that point. Alaska and the Carribe will be toast. There was reason that Azamara announced their first cruises back will be in Europe.

If they aren’t successfully sailing by Christmas, that line of credit may not be long enough for NCLH! This is the primary reason I believe something will still happen in 2020.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:51 PM, deadzone1003 said:

Don's Family Vacations, a video blog on youtube, said that some crew members of a cruiseline has informed him that the cruiseline has informed them to report back to their ship asap.  This cruiseline is probably Princess, Don's cruiseline preference, so it may not applied to Oceania/NCL.  However, if it takes 60 days to get a ship ready, the Christmas holiday sailings could be the targeted sailings for the resumption of cruising.    

10 hours ago, hamrag said:

4 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Your opinion is so insightful, could you expand upon it?

Don's Family Vacations = Everybody

Some crew members = Somebody

Him = Anybody

Them = Nobody

It's a somewhat skewed thought process, I admit! 😉 

• Thanks 1

If the US cruise lines aren’t sailing by Christmas, and proving they can successfully do so, the day after our Inauguration Day the No Sail Order could be extended until 10/31/21.

Is 10/31/21 an arbitrary date or do you have an inside scoop?