When will things start back up?

KS&JW

It just further proves to me that there is still much to learn.

Even if by some miracle they offered me the first vaccine available, I would not take it. It will take some time to sort them all out - which ones are most beneficial and safest.

I can wait a little longer to find out that answer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Hey...I hope a vaccine or two is successfully introduced soon, but I'm wary of the barrage of press releases whose main purpose is to pump up the company's stock price.

Pfizer is hardly a company that needs to pump up their stock price.  If you read the press release from the company (my link just happened to be a reposting- sorry, will not let it happen again) you would have noticed Pfizer and their partner have completed the phase 1/2 of their trial.The data has been posted on line and it has been submitted for peer review.  I have reviewed the data on line.The FDA, after review, has given them fast track designation and they are starting phase 2/3 with 30,000 participants.  This is the same procedure being followed by AstraZenica and Moderna.  Will it be safe and effective?  That’s what they are going to find out.  We can only hope that one or more of the vaccines under going trials work.

The only reason I posted this was in response to Pinotlover’s post concerning age 55 plus having vaccine availability.  Pfizer plans to include in their trial age 55 plus participants. 

full disclosure:  I have owned Pfizer stock for years but not enough to make a difference.

Edited by RetiredLifer

1 hour ago, RetiredLifer said:

Pfizer is hardly a company that needs to pump up their stock price.  If you read the press release from the company (my link just happened to be a reposting- sorry, will not let it happen again) you would have noticed Pfizer and their partner have completed the phase 1/2 of their trial.The data has been posted on line and it has been submitted for peer review.  I have reviewed the data on line.The FDA, after review, has given them fast track designation and they are starting phase 2/3 with 30,000 participants.  This is the same procedure being followed by AstraZenica and Moderna.  Will it be safe and effective?  That’s what they are going to find out.  We can only hope that one or more of the vaccines under going trials work.

The only reason I posted this was in response to Pinotlover’s post concerning age 55 plus having vaccine availability.  Pfizer plans to include in their trial age 55 plus participants. 

full disclosure:  I have owned Pfizer stock for years but not enough to make a difference.

Every publicly traded company tries to pump up their stock price every day. It doesn't matter how successful or profitable the company already is. Just look at Pfizer's press releases https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/default.aspx .  If any corporate board found that the company wasn't putting out every iota of favorable sounding news the CEO and other officers would be handed their walking papers in the blink of an eye. Do you not realize that senior corporate officers typically derive most of their earnings from performance-based bonuses and their stock options, not from salary ? To do anything but pump up their company's stock would be moronic and contrary to their own financial interests.

11 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Every publicly traded company tries to pump up their stock price every day. It doesn't matter how successful or profitable the company already is. Just look at Pfizer's press releases https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/default.aspx .  If any corporate board found that the company wasn't putting out every iota of favorable sounding news the CEO and other officers would be handed their walking papers in the blink of an eye. Do you not realize that senior corporate officers typically derive most of their earnings from performance-based bonuses and their stock options, not from salary ? To do anything but pump up their company's stock would be moronic and contrary to their own financial interests.

Of course every company tries to put out the most favorable news in order to enhance shareholder value and senior corporate officers earnings, if that applies.  I have no problem with that as long as it is true, factual and accurate.  I just do not like the term "pump." in that context.

Press releases are also a way of management communicating directly with shareholders.  Providing them with information as to what the company is doing. Again, as long as it is true, factual and accurate I have not problem.

As a victim of the Covid-19 virus pandemic (as we all are), I welcome information as to what companies are doing to address the pandemic.  Again, it must be true, factual and accurate.

As a taxpayer, I want to know how the $1.95 billion is being spent under the U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed program.

And lastly, if I wanted to participate in the phase 2/3 trial  I would now know that Pfizer is  enrolling

Again, the only reason I posted originally was in response to Pinotlover’s post concerning age 55 plus having vaccine availability.  Pfizer plans to include in their trial age 55 plus participants. I will not clutter this thread with anything else concerning this subject.

Everyone please stay safe and healthy.

• Thanks 1

I would point out that in an interview on Monday on CNBC, The CEO of Moderna said their phase 3 test currently underway has no age limit and they are expecting it to include those over 70-80. He also stated that the goal is to have preliminary data by end of September and full data by end of October with a potential roll out of their vaccine in late November, mid December.

The Moderna entry created monoclonal antibodies in every single test subject in Phases 1 and 2 at levels far exceeding recovered covid patients. There is hope, my friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would love to volunteer for vaccine testing if I could. Been a volunteer for so many other medical tests and procedures working in the medical field over the years I should be dead.

Dependent dh though- isn't possible.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

I would point out that in an interview on Monday on CNBC, The CEO of Moderna said their phase 3 test currently underway has no age limit and they are expecting it to include those over 70-80. He also stated that the goal is to have preliminary data by end of September and full data by end of October with a potential roll out of their vaccine in late November, mid December.

The Moderna entry created monoclonal antibodies in every single test subject in Phases 1 and 2 at levels far exceeding recovered covid patients. There is hope, my friends.

We all feel the same way.  We will keep on hoping with you.   In the mean time stay safe,  and WEAR YOUR MASK.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Would love to volunteer for vaccine testing if I could. Been a volunteer for so many other medical tests and procedures working in the medical field over the years I should be dead.

Dependent dh though- isn't possible.

If you go to Pfizer.com, on their home page is a link for volunteering.  It is interesting just to click on the link.  They explain about the trial, what happens to the volunteers who are chosen, and so on. Good browsing if you are interested. 

• Like 2

In 1954 I was one of the 1.3 million US school children who became known as "Polio Pioneers"...the participants in the testing of the Salk polio vaccine. 

Obviously it wasn't my choice to participate...my parents made that decision, but having survived that early in my life I don't think I would roll the dice near the opposite end of my life to test another vaccine. 

But...my thanks to those of you brave enough to volunteer .

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

In 1954 I was one of the 1.3 million US school children who became known as "Polio Pioneers"...the participants in the testing of the Salk polio vaccine. 

Obviously it wasn't my choice to participate...my parents made that decision, but having survived that early in my life I don't think I would roll the dice near the opposite end of my life to test another vaccine. 

I was also one and did it gladly. My greatest fear then was being in an iron lung, unable to move. Had the shots and then the oral. Much preferred the oral! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You were lucky.  I came down with polio in October, 1955.  Back then, you had to be in school in order to get the vaccine, and I was only 2.  As much as I want to get the COVID vaccine, I think I will wait a bit in order to see how it goes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kitty9 said:

You were lucky.  I came down with polio in October, 1955.  Back then, you had to be in school in order to get the vaccine, and I was only 2.  As much as I want to get the COVID vaccine, I think I will wait a bit in order to see how it goes. 

One of my classmates had come down with polio as a young child and had to use crutches thereafter. I think his case was what motivated all the parents in the school to permit their children to be part of the vaccine trial.

TAs just received this note from O:

Dear Valued Travel Advisor,

As we – and the world – continue to navigate the global impacts of COVID-19, we are extending our pause in operations to include all embarkation dates from October 1 through October 31, 2020. As Insignia’s October voyages through the month of October were cancelled last month, this extension impacts the remainder of our October departures aboard Regatta, Nautica, Marina, Riviera, and Sirena.

October Voyage Cancellations
 Regatta – October 26
 Nautica – October 8, 18, 30
 Marina – October 6, 16, 25
 Riviera – October 4, 16, 28
 Sirena – October 4, 14, 21, 28

3 hours ago, chivatosteve said:

Getting out of the path of Isaias?

For sure.  Getting out of Dodge.  Have never seen the Port Of Miami without a single ship there.  I guess they will be back after the storm passes.

10 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Noticed there are now no cruises showing for Sirena on the website for Dec 2020 thru to Apr 2021.

It was meant to be cruising in the Middle East and Asia over those months.

Just checked the O website (in case Sirena's disappearance had been a victim of O's regular weekend maintenance). But, her schedule is still missing through March 2021 (except for one November cruise). 

FWIW, last time I checked, she was headed to Gibraltar.

Perhaps some folks who have Sirena bookings can call O today and find out what's up and then report back.

10 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Noticed there are now no cruises showing for Sirena on the website for Dec 2020 thru to Apr 2021.

It was meant to be cruising in the Middle East and Asia over those months.

Maybe they  are changing the itineraries  for the near future 

Cruising in Europe & Middle East  during the next  6 months may be iffy at best

since most Countries in Europe are banning Americans  & the majority of O cruisers are  from the USA

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Interesting, but nothing's been done but laboratory research so far. It hasn't been tested on humans...actually not even on animals as far as I can tell. Here's the important quote from early in the article (I've added the red highlight):

'The research team is in active discussions with commercial partners to ramp up manufacturing and clinical testing of AeroNabs. If these tests are successful, the scientists aim to make AeroNabs widely available as an inexpensive, over-the-counter medication to prevent and treat COVID-19."