The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

6 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Vince,

Well, a tidbit about a new local purveyor of a cuisine that does interest me(we have a rez for next month, after the review crowd dies down.)

Uuuuuummmm, sweetbreads....

https://wapo.st/3jUIgsR

Wow, that does look and sound wonderful!  Please write back after you two visit next month, I’d love to hear more!  (Not that I don’t appreciate Tom’s reviews as well — I do!)

Vince

• Like 1

To FlyerTalker, or anybody else who remembers:

Many years ago, one major commercial airline replaced coffee spoons with stirrers. It saved tons of money, and I believe it earned a big bonus for the flight attendant who recommended it.

Was that airline AA or UA? Mr B and I are not in agreement. 

Edited by May B

27 minutes ago, May B said:

To FlyerTalker, or anybody else who remembers:

Many years ago, one major commercial airline replaced coffee spoons with stirrers. It saved tons of money, and I believe it earned a big bonus for the flight attendant who recommended it.

Was that airline AA or UA? Mr B and I are not in agreement. 

Don't remember that at all.  So sorry that I can't be of help.

FWIW, it was Bob Crandall at AA that famously removed one olive from each first class salad.  Saved $40k a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Roy, I hope you are better soon. Rest up! That's the best healing.

I watched the Ed Sullivan show in 1964.

Many of my friends went to the Hollywood Bowl to see the Beatles with their older siblings.

For my 50th Birthday I gave myself tickets to see Paul McCartney and Wings at the then Staples Center in LA. It was packed but unforgettable.  I am an avid fan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I saw Paul McCartney perform in Dallas.  I think around 2003.  I remember George Martin was in the audience.  We had great tickets.

He came to Austin a few years ago but we were on a Crystal cruise.  

If he does another tour which includes the USA we will plan to go.  It would be nice if it could include an appearance by Ringo.

The closest I ever came to feeling like I was at a Beatles Concert was going with my brother and grandmother to see Hard Days Night. I just remember that each time the Beatles were on screen together (a lot of times) the girls were screaming as if we were at The Ed Sullivan Show.

One thing about The Beatles when they stopped performing and went into the studio they created music that no one had done before. Sometimes when I bought one of their albums and listened to it some of the songs didn't appeal to me and I would hold off playing it again. Six months later I would play the music and love it. I just think it had to do with being ahead of their time and I had to get used to it.  

I remember when they first performed on The Ed Sullivan show my parent's like many of the time didn't care for them.  You know. Long hair which today would not be considered long.  Fast forward to 1991 when they visited us and I took them and the family on a drive and played, what else, The Beatles. My mom looked over at our children who were quite young and said the four musicians were wonderful.

It does go to show you how people can change their views.  

Keith

On 2/14/2023 at 2:05 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Don't remember that at all.  So sorry that I can't be of help.

FWIW, it was Bob Crandall at AA that famously removed one olive from each first class salad.  Saved $40k a year.

Lufthansa has removed champagne from their business class flights. Serving a sparkling wine instead. I wonder how much money they are saving 🧐

Ivi

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Lufthansa has removed champagne from their business class flights. Serving a sparkling wine instead. I wonder how much money they are saving 🧐

Ivi

They are doing a lot more sneaky things than just the Champagne.  Just switch my MCO to FRA flight to Eurowings Discover and made it a code share and the plane from a 747 to an A340 is now an A330...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

They are doing a lot more sneaky things than just the Champagne.  Just switch my MCO to FRA flight to Eurowings Discover and made it a code share and the plane from a 747 to an A340 is now an A330...

Yes. It is terrible to fly nowadays with any airline. LH accepted my booking with a partner alliance Avianca in business class. Every thing confirmed. Before the flight, Avianca changed planes and suddenly there was no business class. I was downgraded to economy for a 4 hours flight. And the conpensation was US 18.-

I used to enjoy flying. Before discovering cruises, we did twice around the world with the one world alliance. Every thing was fine. Now lots of cancelations and reroutings and strikes. It is a chaos. 

By the way we flew Eurowings Discover from Panama to Frankfurt. If the plane is the Dreamliner, then the Business class is good. Young crew, very friendly and attentive but still learning.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Yes. It is terrible to fly nowadays with any airline. LH accepted my booking with a partner alliance Avianca in business class. Every thing confirmed. Before the flight, Avianca changed planes and suddenly there was no business class. I was downgraded to economy for a 4 hours flight. And the conpensation was US 18.-

I used to enjoy flying. Before discovering cruises, we did twice around the world with the one world alliance. Every thing was fine. Now lots of cancelations and reroutings and strikes. It is a chaos. 

By the way we flew Eurowings Discover from Panama to Frankfurt. If the plane is the Dreamliner, then the Business class is good. Young crew, very friendly and attentive but still learning.

Ivi

Started my flying in the 70's using Pan Am on the JFK to Frankfurt to Berlin routes landing at Templehof and later at Tegel.  Worked at Templehof for three years.  Flying was fun then.    Now not so much (even with the lifetime special perks)...

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Started my flying in the 70's using Pan Am on the JFK to Frankfurt to Berlin routes landing at Templehof and later at Tegel.  Worked at Templehof for three years.  Flying was fun then.    Now not so much (even with the lifetime special perks)...

Was a starving TA at 20 in ‘78. Took a PanAm fam trip SFO-LHR with group of 20 other agents. Drew straws at the gate at SFO to see who got to sit in the 7 vacant seats in First Class. Was one of the lucky 7! 😉

An experience I’ll *never* forget. ✈️

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Wow… you are a Berliner 😀

Ivi

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:48 PM, Ice Bear said:

Roy, I enjoy seeing your Sunrise photos. I hope you will initiate a dedicated thread in New Crystal. It’s inspiring to see the places you’ve visited. Looking forward to your early Spring 2023 additions, too!

Thanks.  Possibly in due time but still trying to get my stamina back.

Roy

• Like 5

10 hours ago, CryptOkicker5 said:

Didn't JFK, the President, not the airport, once say in a speech that we were all doughnuts?

A “Berliner”   is similar to a doughnut. He said : “Ich bin ein Berliner” meaning only himself. He was loved and respected by Germans. 
Ivi

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, CryptOkicker5 said:

Yes, very nice, travelberlin.

I must have been thinking of a somewhat less famous speech JFK gave several years earlier on the campaign trail in his home state. Yes, that's where I'm going with this - Massachusetts, the original home of Dunkin' Donuts. Coincidentally, I think, both Crystal Cruises and Dunkin' Donuts have in common that they both changed their company names to the shorter Crystal and Dunkin'.

Soon to be known as Crys and Dunk

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Roy, Yes, it will take time to regain strength and endurance to enjoy your walks. The weather forecast suggests another rare February week of mild temperatures in the Mid-Atlantic. Snow bells are thriving, crocuses are abundant, and daffodil leaves are flourishing. Best wishes as you recover. Enjoy the early Spring sights in your neighborhood!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, travelberlin said:

A “Berliner”   is similar to a doughnut. He said : “Ich bin ein Berliner” meaning only himself. He was loved and respected by Germans. 
Ivi

I have heard of the "doughnut" translation.  If I may impose, how would one say "I am a Berliner" in the appropriate language?  I'm genuinely curious as to this.   

11 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

I have heard of the "doughnut" translation.  If I may impose, how would one say "I am a Berliner" in the appropriate language?  I'm genuinely curious as to this.   

We would say for example „Ich komme aus Berlin“. 
By the way if you come from Hamburg, you better not say „I am a hamburger“ 😉

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not restarting but a one-off.  Today's sunrise is from my first post-covid cruise, Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore in February.  On February 20, 2022 we visited their private island of Coco Cay:

dawn0221a.jpg

I think if I resume it would need to be on the Bistro as with things restarting this type of thing would be off-topic in a busier forum.

Roy

• Like 11

HI is everybody having a great day?

In the states it is President's Day.

So my question for today is how many bottles of wine will the new Crystal carry per voyage and what is the ratio of wine to guest? This is very important for me before I decide whether or not I want to book. It will tell me what to expect.

Too much and too many people will be drunk. Too little and the people will be boring.  

Bags are packed. Ready to go. Can't wait.  Why does this bother some people?

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 5