Where are HAL ships? Tied up? I sincerely hope, being readied to sail again ASAP?

sail7seas

7 hours ago, Hflors said:

My heart hurts with the sale of Rotterdam.  We did our 40th anniversary on her sailing the south Pacific in 2011 and again sailed her to the Mediterranean for our 45th anniversary in 2016.  She won't be there for our 50th.  We will be on the Volendam if we are even allowed to cruise then.  It is so sad to see these wonderful ships with their style and elegance leave.  I sailed the Koningsdam once.  That was enough for me.  Beautiful ship, but lacking in both elegance and style, also way too many people.  Just too crowded...  Oh well, life moves on....

If cruising starts up like our local restaurants,  the ships might be half empty.  So Konigsdam might be less crowded.  

8 hours ago, Hflors said:

My heart hurts with the sale of Rotterdam.  We did our 40th anniversary on her sailing the south Pacific in 2011 and again sailed her to the Mediterranean for our 45th anniversary in 2016.  She won't be there for our 50th.  We will be on the Volendam if we are even allowed to cruise then.  It is so sad to see these wonderful ships with their style and elegance leave

I have a similar feeling about Rotterdam VI.  She had the "elegance and decor" that distinguished her as the "Grand World Cruise Liner" as well as the potential speed that the Amsterdam lacked.  Clearly "water over the dam" now, I never have understood, having sailed on both of the ships, why the "preference" was given to the Amsterdam.  

Can asipods vs. traditional propeller propulsion make that much of a difference?  Personally, I think that must have been the reason.  

Edited by rkacruiser

On 7/27/2020 at 7:52 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have a similar feeling about Rotterdam VI.  She had the "elegance and decor" that distinguished her as the "Grand World Cruise Liner" as well as the potential speed that the Amsterdam lacked.  Clearly "water over the dam" now, I never have understood, having sailed on both of the ships, why the "preference" was given to the Amsterdam.  

Can asipods vs. traditional propeller propulsion make that much of a difference?  Personally, I think that must have been the reason.  

I believe the azipods were what made the difference as they allow for much tighter maneuvering.

Linda R.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:10 PM, sail7seas said:

Are some  (any) in drydock in Bahamas?    in Europe?

No and don't look for any to sail before December. They are anchored in far away places with strange sounding names with minimum crew!

9 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

I believe the azipods were what made the difference as they allow for much tighter maneuvering.

Linda R.

I believe you are correct.  I don't recall the port, it was a small one.  Amsterdam's berthing slot was between the stern of a freighter ahead and a breakwater astern.  There was little space between the two spots.  Captain van Zaane maneuvered the Amsterdam into that space.  With no big league pitching arm, I could have thrown a baseball and hit the stern of the freighter as well as the breakwater at our stern.  

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I believe you are correct.  I don't recall the port, it was a small one.  Amsterdam's berthing slot was between the stern of a freighter ahead and a breakwater astern.  There was little space between the two spots.  Captain van Zaane maneuvered the Amsterdam into that space.  With no big league pitching arm, I could have thrown a baseball and hit the stern of the freighter as well as the breakwater at our stern.  

Prinsendam had no azipods and she sure got in some very tight spots.

I remember watching us dock in this port and believe me it was tight.  The other ship only backed up AFTER we had docked.

39D3BE3C-972F-43EA-B541-FEFED9CE6E4E.thumb.jpeg.6917fe2956cce1655b43a400d2833fe7.jpeg

F590AA0D-4B95-461B-9E5D-95478EB28271.thumb.jpeg.3bf02dcc0062c9fd3bf1b02217d65554.jpeg

This picture was taken very close up.

0C5E8635-09BC-4146-AC6C-4707A6660799.thumb.jpeg.71ace6579590ce054d1522671af5c7bf.jpeg

She also was the first ship to “dock” in Fuerteventura.  It took some serious manoeuvring until she arrived it had never been attempted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do not forget that one of ms Rotterdam's claims  for fame was her speed.

I remember on the 2007 Grand Asia & Pacific Voyage when ms Amsterdam could only move very  slowly, until a faulty azipod could be fixed/replaced in Apia.

I grieve the loss of these two great ships.

Today I am hoping that the Rotterdam's art treasures go to the new flagship Rotterdam.  And maybe the Amsterdam's art treasures could go to the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Hopefully Fred Olsen will appreciate their two new ships.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

3 hours ago, bcummin said:

Do not forget that one of ms Rotterdam's claims  for fame was her speed.

Remember, before this ship was named, her nickname was "Fastdam."

3 hours ago, bcummin said:

I am hoping that the Rotterdam's art treasures go to the new flagship Rotterdam.  And maybe the Amsterdam's art treasures could go to the Nieuw Amsterdam.

So agree.  For me, the most treasured art that exists on Rotterdam VI is that replica of the  mural on the forward bulkhead of the Upper MDR that is a duplicate of the mural that graced the forward bulkhead of the Ritz Carlton Lounge on Rotterdam V.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

So agree.  For me, the most treasured art that exists on Rotterdam VI is that replica of the  mural on the forward bulkhead of the Upper MDR that is a duplicate of the mural that graced the forward bulkhead of the Ritz Carlton Lounge on Rotterdam V.  

One may hope  ...      Scott. 

source: https://gohal.com/app/uploads/2020/07/Trade-FAQ__7_21_20-Final.docx

image.png.a244cf027a454eb460fb86c617c83ad0.png

On 7/27/2020 at 7:52 PM, rkacruiser said:

Count me as a HAL fan who strongly disliked (the word hate comes to mind) the Rotterdam VI.  Once they turned the aft pool into the worlds largest bird bath they lost me!   On our Rottendam voyages we encountered so many "deferred maintenance" issues that it became almost a joke.  Seeing multiple buckets in the Lido (to capture the rain water leaking from the ceiling in multiple places) was somewhat interesting, especially when we watched the Captain deftly navigate h. imself around the leaks as he grabbed lunch in the Lido.   So as the Rotterdam VI sails off into the sunset we say, "good riddance."  I just hope that HAL survives long enough to actually get the Rotterdam VII into operation.

Hank

On 7/30/2020 at 8:39 PM, YXU AC*SE said:

One may hope  ...      Scott. 

source: https://gohal.com/app/uploads/2020/07/Trade-FAQ__7_21_20-Final.docx

image.png.a244cf027a454eb460fb86c617c83ad0.png

Thanks for this information.  Since the replica of Rotterdam V's Ritz Carlton's mural is an integral part of the forward bulkhead of the Upper MDR, it will stay, I expect.  I know little about Fred. Olsen Cruise lines.  But, the fact that they have purchased and put into service premium ships in the past makes me think that such a classy piece of art as that mural will be preserved and, I hope, enjoyed by future guests.  (Maybe a small placard describing the mural's history would be appropriate?)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, innlady1 said:

We had some lovely cruises together on Maasdam and Noordam, didn’t we? I’d love to do Noordam again. My first HAL cruise !

To the best of my knowledge, it is not the Noordam that has been sold.  It's the Veendam.  

To the best of my knowledge, it is not the Noordam that has been sold.  It's the Veendam.  

I’m well aware that the Noordam has not been sold. Carol (mamaofami) and I had cruises together on Maasdam and Noordam. That is what I meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

Welcome back, Sheila. It’s nice to see you posting.

Thank you, Tioga. I’ve been around but haven’t posted for a long while! I’ve become accustomed to using my iPhone...not my desktop. Lazy lazy! And have not been able to do anything but read CC...and then like magic, I could finally post yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, Himself said:

No and don't look for any to sail before December. They are anchored in far away places with strange sounding names with minimum crew!

And quite a few have missed scheduled drydocks already. Thats got to be figured into any restart plans for the ships. Scheduling is going to be a nightmare for the lines. What ships are scheduled for mandatory inspections in drydocks missed so far or will be missed in the coming months. No mandatory inspection, no re-certification and hence no passengers till its done. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, drowelf said:

And quite a few have missed scheduled drydocks already. Thats got to be figured into any restart plans for the ships. Scheduling is going to be a nightmare for the lines. What ships are scheduled for mandatory inspections in drydocks missed so far or will be missed in the coming months. No mandatory inspection, no re-certification and hence no passengers till its done. 

It is a mess.  They ought to start getting it done now so that all will be ready when and if we sail!

On 7/29/2020 at 10:58 AM, cruzingnut said:

Linda R.

No, azipods make it easier for less experienced officers to maneuver the ship.  A well trained ship handler can use the twin screws, twin high lift rudders, and bow and stern thrusters to maneuver the ship no different than a ship with azipods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

No, azipods make it easier for less experienced officers to maneuver the ship.  A well trained ship handler can use the twin screws, twin high lift rudders, and bow and stern thrusters to maneuver the ship no different than a ship with azipods.

Interesting and thanks for your post!

No idea who was at the helm of the Amsterdam when we docked at an Asian port with only a few meters to spare between our bow and the stern of a freighter and the breakwater at our stern, but the docking was a masterful accomplishment.  I assume Captain van Zaane was at the controls.  

I guess I’ve gotten so tired of the “we’re cruising, we’re not cruising” that I’ve lost the bubble, and quite frankly the interest, in what ship is sailing where when.   My brain hurts.   We personally have written off the even remote possibly of cruising again until late summer or early fall 2021.  After the recent failed attempts to restart cruising even at a small scale we are not encouraged.   The key thing we’re looking for is some indication HAL or any major cruise line for that matter is moving toward reconstituting their crew.   We have not seen that.   

Edited by Randyk47

where the HAL Fleet is ...   www. *****/cruise-ship-tracker/holland-america-line/fleet/ 

zoom the Map in/out.. drag the Map with your cursor to see where the HAL ships are.. click on any Ship's 'green dot/marker' for more info and its location

UPDATE: disregard .. CC won't allow the URL

HAL Fleet.jpg

Edited by Stakeout

30 minutes ago, Stakeout said:

where the HAL Fleet is ...   www. *****/cruise-ship-tracker/holland-america-line/fleet/ 

zoom the Map in/out.. drag the Map with your cursor to see where the HAL ships are.. click on any Ship's 'green dot/marker' for more info and its location

UPDATE: disregard .. CC won't allow the URL

HAL Fleet.jpg

I start a thread each morning called "the Daily". It includes a listing of where each ship is and most days a map of current locations of at least some of the ships. Stop by and say hello

• Like 5