14 day Quarantine starting tomorrow for travellers from Spain

jeanlyon

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

What amuses me is those who say they cannot quarantine because their work / business couldn’t manage without them for a couple of weeks. What about the week or more when they were in Spain on holiday? Maybe other employees were forced to take the same time off and the business was closed ☹️

I assumed that they meant that their businesses couldn't manage without them for unplanned time off because most businesses don't allow too many of their employees to take holidays at the same time. It must be a nightmare for businesses when employees are taking 4 weeks instead of their planned 2 weeks and possibly overlapping with other employees.  Occasionally they do have someone off I'll while someone else is on holiday so they have to manage under that circumstance.

Slightly off topic, but I worked for a company where only two employees were allowed to be on the same flight, in case of an "accident". 

Always seemed strange as 4 of us were allowed to be in the same Capri, which was much more lethal! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Slightly off topic, but I worked for a company where only two employees were allowed to be on the same flight, in case of an "accident". 

Always seemed strange as 4 of us were allowed to be in the same Capri, which was much more lethal! 

A classic misunderstanding of risk statistics!

23 hours ago, wowzz said:

We had the same rule when I was a company director (I was told that it was a condition imposed by our insurers), but once we had a management conference overseas and it was decided that the most cost effective way to get everyone there was to charter two large planes. If one of those planes had gone down the press would have had a field day, as it was a very well known company! Seems madness now when I look back on it. 

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We had the same rule when I was a company director (I was told that it was a condition imposed by our insurers), but once we had a management conference overseas and it was decided that the most cost effective way to get everyone there was to charter two large planes. If one of those planes had gone down the press would have had a field day, as it was a very well known company! Seems madness now when I look back on it. 

Strange thing was that I was a lowly rep in those days, but working for a US blue chip company, HO probably only ever  imagined  that senior management would ever be flying. 

Blimey,I thought those rules only applied to the Queen and Prince Charles travelling together.Shame the army didn't think about that when they lost most of their intelligence department in 1 Chinook crash.

I believe it is about to be dropped down to ten days, so I guess dependant on timings, people would now only need to take a week and a day off work to isolate.  Perhaps some will be willing to do that for a week in the sun.  Still not my cup of tea though. 

15 minutes ago, davemorton said:

I believe it is about to be dropped down to ten days, so I guess dependant on timings, people would now only need to take a week and a day off work to isolate.  Perhaps some will be willing to do that for a week in the sun.  Still not my cup of tea though. 

No iI think it's those with symptoms who now have to quarantine for 10 days instead of 7.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

No iI think it's those with symptoms who now have to quarantine for 10 days instead of 7.

Correct- 10 days quarantine if you show signs of CV19, 14 days if you return from certain countries such as Spain.

43 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We’ll end up with different regulations for each street! 😂

Now that's not as silly as it sounds. I read only this morning in an online Manchester paper, exactly that. One side of Delphside Road in Orrel in the outskirts of Wigan is in lockdown. The other side of the road is in West Lancashire,  not in lockdown😲. As if the covid rules weren't confusing enough. 

Avril 

• Like 1

... and I was reading a Twitter thread talking about an area in Liverpool of just a few streets where there had been a significant localised spike in infections.

Local Public Health staff had swooped, door knocked the whole area, arranged tests, requested quarantines etc and had squashed the outbreak

Seems to me that it’s this local action we need, not one-size-fits-all, Hands, Face, Space chants.  Act where action is necessary; be more relaxed where it’s possible

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

... and I was reading a Twitter thread talking about an area in Liverpool of just a few streets where there had been a significant localised spike in infections.

Local Public Health staff had swooped, door knocked the whole area, arranged tests, requested quarantines etc and had squashed the outbreak

Seems to me that it’s this local action we need, not one-size-fits-all, Hands, Face, Space chants.  Act where action is necessary; be more relaxed where it’s possible

That sounds a good idea.We were planning to stay in Stockport next week so I could visit my Mum(who lives in Formby near Liverpool)and visit some National Trust properties in the North West.However now that Greater Manchester is in lockdown we have moved our booking from Stockport(in Greater Manchester) to Knutsford in Cheshire which has a lower rate of infections.Hopefully because the local authority acted quickly in the area of Liverpool you mentioned I will still be able to visit my Mum in Formby!

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 6:18 PM, Josy1953 said:

I assumed that they meant that their businesses couldn't manage without them for unplanned time off because most businesses don't allow too many of their employees to take holidays at the same time. It must be a nightmare for businesses when employees are taking 4 weeks instead of their planned 2 weeks and possibly overlapping with other employees.  Occasionally they do have someone off I'll while someone else is on holiday so they have to manage under that circumstance.

Yes Josy.  In my case, we are a very small team.  Only 2 of us in the office, so cannot go on leave at the same time.  Always planned and it's a nightmare if one is off sick.

We were planning a holiday in South Devon for Sept/October time but we have had second thoughts and dont want to put ourselves at risk. While it is good intention to support UK industry I dont think it is right in current circumstances and high chance of a second spike to holiday not just abroad but even in the UK as things can change daily and ruin the best made plans. People have these last few weeks acting all over the UK as if the pandemic is over and that is why cases of infections are on the way up again.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We were planning a holiday in South Devon for Sept/October time but we have had second thoughts and dont want to put ourselves at risk. While it is good intention to support UK industry I dont think it is right in current circumstances and high chance of a second spike to holiday not just abroad but even in the UK as things can change daily and ruin the best made plans. People have these last few weeks acting all over the UK as if the pandemic is over and that is why cases of infections are on the way up again.

I agree with you. We were considering a holiday here too but it doesn't look safe enough at the moment. 

Avril 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Not sure about your logic. 

If you went to, say, Suffolk, or Cornwall, in October,  how is that likely to be putting yourself at risk? Lots of fresh air, no crowds at that time of year, and relatively empty pubs and restaurants.  Why would you not go? 

Sometimes fear can be our worst enemy.

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure about your logic. 

If you went to, say, Suffolk, or Cornwall, in October,  how is that likely to be putting yourself at risk? Lots of fresh air, no crowds at that time of year, and relatively empty pubs and restaurants.  Why would you not go? 

Sometimes fear can be our worst enemy.

Just had a week in North Cornwall and are off to West Cornwall at the end of the month. If the virus spikes,we can cancel. Although passing through Devon we won't stop as somebody on here doesn't want visitors in South Devon. The tourist board don't agree but what do they matter.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Just had a week in North Cornwall and are off to West Cornwall at the end of the month. If the virus spikes,we can cancel. Although passing through Devon we won't stop as somebody on here doesn't want visitors in South Devon. The tourist board don't agree but what do they matter.

Yes, stay well clear of Jean,  as she tries to destroy the local economy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Our friends from East London were due to stay with us in January but they both developed the flu and were quite ill for a while.Last week she was chosen for a random covid test.Turns out she has had it.How lucky was that for us,she even offered to come on her own by tube but her symptons worsened.

• Like 1

The only way i can see this ending is total lockdown again. The Virus is still very active in the UK and we are all just trying to work around it doing our own thing trying to lead our lives.

Trouble is some areas are imposing local tougher restrictions due to spikes but people in these areas can still migrate out to other parts of the country potentially raising infection levels everywhere.

I am not saying anyone in any particular area is safer than anywhere else just that by natural people movement you are stirring the pot so to speak.

Throw in Winter and all bets are off where this is heading.

Personally i of course have followed all the guidelines for respect of others but i dont particularly fear the Virus, and i certainly wont take any Vaccine, my personal choice but i think the vast majority of cases are very minimal and in some ways this is being blown out of all proportion and now no Govt actually knows what the Hell to do about it now.

As for me, loads of things are out to getcha, Covid is just one more on the list, if i catch it my immune system has 2 options of how to deal with it, i may yet find out which way it goes if nothing else gets me first.

In fact i had an odd for me cough in early Feb that lingered as well as being a bit chesty which again is uncommon for me so maybe we have already had the pleasure of meeting.

My personal choices and i totally respect and understand people who have different views on the Virus.

Edited by Chrisdriving