Cruising in 2021

Doubts are beginning to arise ,in my head, over the viability of our cruise

( London to Barcelona) in September 2021 actually sailing. That being said,

I am thinking of moving our deposit to a March 2022 Tokyo to Tokyo

cruise, if there is availability. I am not sure if we could even do this.

Anyone else feeling doubtful about the later part of 2021 being cruising

as it once was? 

Sure wish I had a crystal ball 🤣 lol!

Snorkle, be careful, if we so much as doubt that Regent has a plan to reopen "soon" we are beat up and belittled.  That said, my personal confidence level for my 31 May Navigator cruise is now down to 80% from 95% based on Regent's actions and inactions over the last two weeks.

Marc

9 minutes ago, tripperva said:

So you don't think Regent will be sailing the holidays December 2020  ?

No. I don't think the CDC will make a decision on opening cruising or what the guidelines should be until the election. And then, depending on change in government or not, might even wait until Jan or Feb. There are just too many unknowns and the whole system is so politicized on top of the scientific part that (imho), nothing will move. 

So anything will depend on what other countries might do...but just looking at the immediate shutdown in NZ as an example, I don't think much will happen. Europe is dealing with spike of cases right now after people come back from vacation. Spike in cases, not real spikes in deaths though (which is a good thing). 

For American pax, before cruising can even be thought about, borders have to be open. That has nothing to do with CDC. 

There are very very few borders open to Americans and less if you take away those that require negative Covid tests for entry or 14 day quarantine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

my personal confidence level for my 31 May Navigator cruise is now down to 80% from 95% based on Regent's actions and inactions over the last two weeks.

Interesting.  I am booked on the previous Navigator segment for May 16.  My own confidence level has recently dropped from about 50% to "less than 50%."  Since mine is relatively closer to the US, to me it seems that if they are going to sail on May 31, they probably would want to also sail on May 16, if only to test things out before the Grand Voyage.  So I am hoping your estimate is more accurate, even though it is moving in the wrong direction, and we both get to sail Navigator in May (and beyond, in your case 🙂 ).  I booked my flights yesterday, although I have to admit it was with points that are redepositable with no fee.

3 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

The Explorer is in Brindisi, Italy after sailing from Jacksonville, FL.  The Splendour appears to be headed to Europe as well.  Maybe the startup cruises will sail in the Mediterranean.  No CDC approval needed there.

Yes but if they sail it will be with no Americans on board, the whole cruise business model on multi-national passengers and load factors of at best 70% will mean a very different approach is needed. Regent has a chance because of ships size, ( in my view the mega ships 2500 pax upwards do not ). However cruising will be very different.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Snorkle, be careful, if we so much as doubt that Regent has a plan to reopen "soon" we are beat up and belittled.  That said, my personal confidence level for my 31 May Navigator cruise is now down to 80% from 95% based on Regent's actions and inactions over the last two weeks.

Marc

I have an April cruise that I am currently at 40% on.......has nothing to do with Regent, I just don't think there will be a viable path forward within that time frame.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:27 PM, ronrick1943 said:

One can only hope, we'll cruise in early 2021.  We enjoy cruising period, ports come a far 2nd for us--yes I'd do a cruise with no ports of call.

I'm with you on this.  I'm holding out hope for May 31 on the Navigator out of NYC, but I'm not holding my breath.  If it sails and they'll let me board, I'll be on it.   I cruise for the shipboard experience.  Actually going ashore in ports is a secondary consideration for me.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, snorkle lover said:

cruise, if there is availability. I am not sure if we could even do this.

Anyone else feeling doubtful about the later part of 2021 being cruising

as it once was? 

Sure wish I had a crystal ball 🤣 lol!

I dont undertand. If your move is because you think there will be no cruising in 2021, why not take your deposit $$$ and wait to cruise on anything 2022.

On 8/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, mrlevin said:

Marc

Your crystal ball is probably much better than mine, but I canceled that cruise a few months ago

On 8/16/2020 at 12:12 AM, snorkle lover said:

cruise, if there is availability.

If you like the idea of the March 2022 cruise, why not place a deposit without cancelling the Sept 2021 sailing. There still appears to be plenty of availability, including the D, E & F suites, which IMO are the best value on Explorer. 

You can then consider how the pandemic (& cruising) is developing in the early part of 2021 before finalising your decision on the Sept 2021 sailing.

It just seems very early to take the decision to abandon a cruise that is over a year away.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

If you like the idea of the March 2022 cruise, why not place a deposit without cancelling the Sept 2021 sailing. There still appears to be plenty of availability, including the D, E & F suites, which IMO are the best value on Explorer. 

You can then consider how the pandemic (& cruising) is developing in the early part of 2021 before finalising your decision on the Sept 2021 sailing.

It just seems very early to take the decision to abandon a cruise that is over a year away.

Flossie,

That sounds like a very sensible idea to me and we just might go ahead and do that.  I  think

I will just be as positive as possible and start looking at the excursions which we can reserve 

next month for the September 2021 cruise. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, snorkle lover said:

Flossie,

That sounds like a very sensible idea to me and we just might go ahead and do that.  I  think

I will just be as positive as possible and start looking at the excursions which we can reserve 

next month for the September 2021 cruise. 

HI snorkle,

That's what I'm doing for 22 Sept21 on Splendor.  Too soon to give up.  Dinner at the chateau in Bordeaux!

• Like 1

Alainciao,

Yes indeed, dinner at the chateau sounds delightful. 

Since we can reserve our excursions in September,

I plan on doing my research and using my free time

( of which I have a lot these days) to decide what  we

would like to see/do in each port. The planning and 

anticipation is such a big part of traveling and we

have quite a long time to do both for this cruise.