Weymouth bay

Triggertravel

Good evening everybody I know this  thread has already Been posted ,but I had to post this .the wife and I have been enjoying a few days in Winchester and we decided on a day trip to Weymouth on arrival we was greeted by The very sad site of 7 ghost cruise ships as they sat idle in Weymouth bay  . Britannia,carnival Valor,all 3 cunard  and 2 Marella looked very impressive but Like many of you we should all of been enjoying  the fine  luxuries of these great ships I don’t think it had actually hit home with me until I’d actually seen this sorry to repeat the thread and sorry there’s only 6 ships in the photo 

3CC49092-4B9E-4038-9707-DA0A2AED3CD1.jpeg

• Like 5

Apologies to hijack the thread. I stayed at Bowleaze cove last weekend to be able to see the ships, we should have been on Azura to the baltics at the time. There was 9 in the bay at its most populous. R-L is QE, QV, Aurora, Britannia, QM2, Carnival Valor and the 3 Marella’s. A60998FE-5E73-49A5-ADCA-372C1FFDECE1.thumb.jpeg.510779cd53656a98bc1fd4a857caa539.jpeg

8EA275F5-5F09-43CE-9A36-28F1D4E9B783.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Triggertravel said:

Good evening everybody I know this  thread has already Been posted ,but I had to post this .the wife and I have been enjoying a few days in Winchester and we decided on a day trip to Weymouth on arrival we was greeted by The very sad site of 7 ghost cruise ships as they sat idle in Weymouth bay  . Britannia,carnival Valor,all 3 cunard  and 2 Marella looked very impressive but Like many of you we should all of been enjoying  the fine  luxuries of these great ships I don’t think it had actually hit home with me until I’d actually seen this sorry to repeat the thread and sorry there’s only 6 ships in the photo 

3CC49092-4B9E-4038-9707-DA0A2AED3CD1.jpeg

And Aurora was berthed in Portland. 

Lost all but one off Bournemouth.  Think there's more shelter in Weymouth Bay with the forecast high winds yesterday/today.

Edited by kruzseeka

18 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

All away to sea to dodge they won’t want to be caught on a lee shore with the poor forecast

You're right, all much further out today than yesterday.  Aurora is back at Bournemouth -perhaps a provisions call at Portland yesterday.  She looks to be quite close in at the moment 🤤!  Allure of the Seas further out though.   It sounds a bit wild out there!  

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

They did a report about these ships on the BBC the other night, it made me quite sad.

Yes, it was sad.  The owner of the Mudeford Ferry (Christchurch) used to be staff captain on Aurora and has been taking boat trips out to see the cruise ships anchored off shore.    I think I'd find that hard - sailing round the idle ships and not drawing the comparison between the situation as is and what we all wish it could return to. 

• Like 1

Honestly it looks like a disaster. I wonder what are these people doing on board these ships. And I also wonder how much longer they will be stationed there. I dont know about the effect on the ecology but I doubt they do any good by being located together in one place. I mean these ships contaminate the water there.. I might be wrong 

11 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Honestly it looks like a disaster. I wonder what are these people doing on board these ships. And I also wonder how much longer they will be stationed there. I dont know about the effect on the ecology but I doubt they do any good by being located together in one place. I mean these ships contaminate the water there.. I might be wrong 

I hope they are not contaminating anything Roger, there are strict protocols as to what and where things can be discharged.

Edited by terrierjohn

5 hours ago, Roger88 said:

You'd better be!  We have Blue Flag beaches here!   I'm certain there is careful monitoring and if there was any doubt about environmental issues, they wouldn't be allowed to stay.  They're not exactly far out!  You could get to some on a paddle board!  

http://www.theseasideawards.org/blueflagawardcriteria/2128

When I flew out to Madrid two weeks ago we flew over Barton on Sea and I saw three cruise ships over towards Mudeford. I could only recognise Allure of the Seas. Having "debarked" it in Ft Lauderdale last November after a two week cruise in the Caribbean, it was weird to see it again close to where my Mum & Dad used to live. 

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Esprit said:

When I flew out to Madrid two weeks ago we flew over Barton on Sea and I saw three cruise ships over towards Mudeford. I could only recognise Allure of the Seas. Having "debarked" it in Ft Lauderdale last November after a two week cruise in the Caribbean, it was weird to see it again close to where my Mum & Dad used to live. 

My late mother in law used to live in Barton on Sea and had she still been alive we would certainly have been down to visit.As it is it quite a long way to travel from Derbyshire we haven t seen the cruise ships though before covid we had actually planned a weeks holiday in Weymouth!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Had legitimate reason to be in Weymouth this afternoon.  It was glorious.

4 ships on view, Arcadia and Brittania, a Queen and one I couldn’t identify.  White with turquoise on the prow(?)

Here’s Arcadia and equines.  They made a nice sight

D6F6700D-DFC5-4B6E-85F1-4ECAE595A6BB.thumb.jpeg.dff051425549ea7f2860835f2b13a64a.jpeg

23E58510-2518-4AEE-9EC1-20976B97FE4D.jpeg

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Thanks

I was thinking Aurora was still “elsewhere”, so eliminated her from my reckoning

Thanks for identifying QE.

Norwegian, eh?  Rather subdued livery for NCL

It’s not as subdued up close, rather spectacular. Was supposed to be on that ship last October from Vancouver to LA, obviously we didn’t make it haha.