Transportation from LGW to SH

Jack E Dawson

We have rolled the dice and booked a Crossing on the QM2 departing May 21st, 2021, out of Southampton. We will be a group of 6, with luggage, and would appreciate any advice on getting transportation from the London Gatwick Airpot to the Doubletree by Hilton in Southampton the day before. 

Thanks

Jack

We took a train from LGW to Southampton a few years ago. As I recall, it was roughly two hours travel time with no connections or changes and was scheduled about every hour. I just did a quick check on the Rail.co.uk Web site and it looks to still be offered

49 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

We have rolled the dice and booked a Crossing on the QM2 departing May 21st, 2021, out of Southampton. We will be a group of 6, with luggage, and would appreciate any advice on getting transportation from the London Gatwick Airpot to the Doubletree by Hilton in Southampton the day before. 

Thanks

Jack

My personal suggestion would be for you all to travel in a people carrier, and consider

https://www.airporttaxis-uk.co.uk/Transfer/Southampton-LGW/Gatwick#booking

Forget Double Tree......Bit old, tired, sad, past it's best and depressing.

Book another Southampton Hilton, (Ageas) more upmarket.  modern, light and bright.  Consider the Exec Floor. Balcony overlooking Cricket Ground, with table and comfortable chairs. Complimentary Evening alcoholic/soft drinks and small buffet, 24 hour soft drinks, water, tea/coffee.

Even  standard room has nice views over the Golf Ciurse.

Each couple will have a dedicated private Taxi from Hilton Ageas to Cruise Terminal.

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-at-the-ageas-bowl-southampton-SOUAGHI/about/park-and-stay.html

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

Very good advice from Port Royal re travel, and the Southampton Ageas Hilton. Also, you might want to consider the the Southampton Harbour and Spa Hotel, new, modern and great eating. At the edge of Southampton Water and extremely close to the cruise terminal. 

48 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It sounds as if Jack E Dawson might have already booked the Double Tree and just wants advice on getting there not advice about other hotels.

All advice was given with a good heart.

Thought JD might be a Hilton member, as it is possible to book, no deposit, and cancel up to arrival, without penalty.  Hence the Ageas suggestion.

Hopefully, they can cancel and move.

Thank you all for the excellent advice. 

Majortom10, you are correct that we had already booked the DT, using points, but it only took 2 minutes to switch our reservation over to to the Ageas Hilton, as suggested by Port Royal, and for the same number of points. Plus my status with Hilton should get us into the executive lounge. For those in our group paying for their room, the rate was only a pound more.

We will also take Port Royal's advice and do the people carrier. It might be easier than dealing with all of our luggage on the train. Our plan is to fly over a week before departure and do some sight seeing. I recently discovered that my roots are in Warwickshire, so I think a visit to that area is called for.

Again, thanks everyone.

Jack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Majortom10, you are correct that we had already booked the DT, using points, but it only took 2 minutes to switch our reservation over to to the Ageas Hilton, as suggested by Port Royal, and for the same number of points. Plus my status with Hilton should get us into the executive lounge. For those in our group paying for their room, the rate was only a pound more.

We will also take Port Royal's advice and do the people carrier. It might be easier than dealing with all of our luggage on the train. Our plan is to fly over a week before departure and do some sight seeing. I recently discovered that my roots are in Warwickshire, so I think a visit to that area is called for.

Again, thanks everyone.

Jack

May one make another suggestion for a visit to the "Mary Rose" Exhibition.  Stunning!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks

Jack

Just another suggestion for a transportation quote, we usually use www.smithsforairports.com when we in England.  We always find them reasonable and timely.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

Just another suggestion for a transportation quote, we usually use www.smithsforairports.com when we in England.  We always find them reasonable and timely.  

Good shout. Forgot about them 😊 

Thanks for all the recommedations- I will book a TA in 2021 too- if it goes- I will use either transportations - BUT NOT Southcoast Chauffeurs- if they still exist. Major Ripe off the last time i used them. I was just a bit travel weary otherwise I had argued the point. ( Adding charge for the use of a credit card)

9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Thanks for all the recommedations- I will book a TA in 2021 too- if it goes- I will use either transportations - BUT NOT Southcoast Chauffeurs- if they still exist. Major Ripe off the last time i used them. I was just a bit travel weary otherwise I had argued the point. ( Adding charge for the use of a credit card)

Dont know when you travelled, but that is now illegal.

22 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Kind of surprised at that. It's now illegal to charge for using a credit card, but I found SCC to be pretty decent. Sure, they're not the cheapest but they have a great fleet of vehicles (nice S class Mercedes) and the service was overall good.

I tend to use Smiths for Airports predominantly instead as I can get a car with more luggage space than an S class (we travel heavy!) and they're a little cheaper. You probably won't get an S class from them though, but otherwise they also provide exceptional service. I've used them a load of times.

I'd probably avoid the train. Did it once to Soton for a 5 night cruise before Christmas and found it to be such a pain with baggage that paying out for a taxi makes sense personally (I live near Heathrow).

16 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

OK, will add that to the agenda. 

Thanks guys.

Jack

The Mary Rose is part of Portsmouth Historical Dockyard, which also has Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson's HMS Victory (built 1759) which took place in the Battle of Trafalgar and HMS Warrior from 1860. You can easily spend the best part of a full day there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Britboys said:

The Mary Rose is part of Portsmouth Historical Dockyard, which also has Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson's HMS Victory (built 1759) which took place in the Battle of Trafalgar and HMS Warrior from 1860. You can easily spend the best part of a full day there.

As an aside, do agree about the time needed.  

Knowing this visit will astound, think the OP might want to unwind after.  So suggest the party takes dinner and a night stay prior to continuing their Grand Tour at Beckets, to crown the day.  Beckets have beautiful bedrooms, plus a private room for intimate dining, which can be set up for a small party.  Yours for the evening.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:50 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Again, thanks everyone.

Jack

On 9/3/2020 at 4:19 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

May one make another suggestion for a visit to the "Mary Rose" Exhibition.  Stunning!

I second this suggestion, The Royal Navy yard also has the recently refurbished HMS Victory, Admiral Lord Nelson's flagship, as well as the Mary Rose. They are well worth a short train trip from Southampton to Portsmouth. If you do take the trip, be sure you get off at Portsmouth Harbor, which is within walking distance of the Navy Yard, not central Portsmouth.