Ship Shore Excursions Required

Desert Cruisers

2 hours ago, pcur said:

I just looked at the shore excursions for two ports on their 12/21/20 Hawaii cruise from San Pedro.  They have a long COVID19 "special note" about keeping up with protocols, etc.  But, they are still offering a wide variety of excursions.

The one thing I can say is Princess is not going to alienate their customers, so I think they will get creative with this. 

Since cruising has not resumed yet, any listed shore excursions at this point are pure speculation as to if they will take place as described.

When cruising restarts, Princess and its competitors will all have the same limitations/restrictions for shore excursions.

The concept of "bubble excursions" has two purposes. First is to protect the participants from catching the virus while on shore. Second is to protect the local population from catching the virus from tour participants.

The second reason may be necessary for ports to open up to cruise ships again.

• Like 1

I wonder when the cruise lines will share their shore excursion plans with the independent vendors --- in our case, Alaska.  We already have quite a few excursions planned with independent vendors for our May and August 2021 trips.  I just can't imagine how independents will be able to survive given what I am hearing. 

24 minutes ago, caribill said:

Less people per tender. More time needed for more tender trips to get everyone from/to the ships

easily accomplished ... by capacity limiting the number of cruisers at first ... same thing with shows, elevators, etc

Just now, Italy52 said:

I wonder when the cruise lines will share their shore excursion plans with the independent vendors --- in our case, Alaska.  We already have quite a few excursions planned with independent vendors for our May and August 2021 trips.  I just can't imagine how independents will be able to survive given what I am hearing. 

those vendors will be be vetted and will become Princess Preferred Vendors ...

• Like 2

Just now, voljeep said:

those vendors will be be vetted and will become Princess Preferred Vendors ...

I thought that might be the case.  However, the question I have is how will we be able to identify our favorite vendor.  For example, I have a particular vendor I use for whale watching.  Princess normally does not identify their vendor names in excursion write ups.  So how will I know which one to choose.  Also, will Princess now take a cut from the independent vendors fee?  If so, that is something I do not want to support. 

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am very skeptical in regards to cruise ships being allowed to return to Hawaii any time soon.  After several delays (April - October), the state will open up to TransPacific air travel with a pre-travel covid test.  I've been trying to get back since July.  I am not confident in this last "announcement" since the date has been pushed back so many times.  If the state can't make a decision as simple as air travel, I am not sure they will know how to handle multiple cruise ships  in the spring. And I am a pseudo local. 

Renee...when booking flights to return to our Maui home 3 months in advance as you know the 3 implementation dates to avoid a 2 week quarantine with a negative test have been missed since 8/1. Now that the 10/1 date has been extended to 10/15, we’ll be quarantined when returning in early October.

Hawaii has had 3 months to set up a procedure to avoid being quarantined & there are still unanswered questions about the procedure. I agree with you that based on their actions chances are good that they’ll miss the 10/15 date.

Even when cruise ships are allowed to return to Hawaii & likely require ship tours only, the current 2 week quarantine would apply for arrivals. And ships arriving from the West Coast wouldn’t have passengers eligible to waive quarantine because a negative test must be done within 72 hours of arrival. I don’t think ships would test every passenger using an Hawaii approved test & thus no one could get off the ship. The only cruise that might be an option is on NCL sailing solely within Hawaii for passengers who have a negative test when arriving by air.

Hopefully those booked to Hawaii won’t be disappointed but don’t think the state will allow cruise ships for a long time.

We miss cruising often but do not have any booked until we feel that it’s safe & resembles the previous great experience. The improved sanitation procedures are good but for us a greatly diminished cruise experience will keep us from sailing any time soon. Even when vaccinations are available with so many companies competing to be the first one would wait until they’re proven safe & effective. But that’s a very personal decision that each of us makes & for now just hope to be able to fly back to Maui soon...even with a 2 week quarantine in our house.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

If you do that, you are out of the bubble.  The whole group is going to have to go to Walmart together and will have to stay together and separated from the rest of the other people in the store.

Ain't going to happen.

DON

OK, only my bubble-buddies going to Walmart with me.  But, that's the point:  lots of people want to Walmart in Honolulu and Puerto Vallarta.

55 minutes ago, caribill said:

Since cruising has not resumed yet, any listed shore excursions at this point are pure speculation as to if they will take place as described.

When cruising restarts, Princess and its competitors will all have the same limitations/restrictions for shore excursions.

The concept of "bubble excursions" has two purposes. First is to protect the participants from catching the virus while on shore. Second is to protect the local population from catching the virus from tour participants.

The second reason may be necessary for ports to open up to cruise ships again.

I understand this. 

My point is Princess is already starting to update their shore excursion information for those cruises they still have available.  I picked one in December 2020, since it would be one of the first to offer excursions under the new protocol.  The size of the tour is still too big, but I think those will be adjusted soon, as they will probably start asking for maximum 25 vans/buses.

Personally, I find looking at excursions for a December cruise that hasn't been cancelled to be a good way to get information about this subject.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

yeah, but - way too expensive, but with lots of OBC to burn... why not

Routan

WHAT YOU VISIT
Roatan Island Brewing Co.
Tour Roatan's only microbrewery with owner and founder Ilias Maier. During the visit, you'll learn the secrets of the weeks-long brewing process and how its main ingredients (grain and hops) are imported and how many of the added infusions like watermelon, hibiscus, and pineapple are locally grown.

Many people don't have "lots of OBC to burn"...

We have Sierra Nevada Brewery here at home. I've seen a brewery. I used to make beer for a number of years. I know how it's done. (I made very good beer. My Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout were wonderful.) I want to visit the brew pub, try the beers I think sound good, people watch, talk with my wife, etc. I don't want to be part of a large group. I don't particularly want beer infused with watermelon, hibiscus, or pineapple.

Some folks say "No problem, I'll just enjoy a relaxing day on the ship rather than going into port". I foresee a lot more people staying on the ship which will pretty much preclude that "relaxing day" on could normally have when choosing not to go ashore.

Just had a thought. If one has to stay "within the bubble" of their tour group won't that preclude any beach excursions? How can one enjoy a day at the beach and still manage to only stay with a specific group? Sounds freaking insane to me. It would work for the Las Caletas excursion in Puerto Vallarta because it's a "closed group" type of beach excursion but most other places I just can't see how it would possibly work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Princess likely will not have a choice.  CLIA made recommendations for resumption of sailing today to the CDC and if these are all implemented, Princess will have no choice.  https://cruising.org/en/news-and-research/press-room/2020/september/clia-and-its-cruise-line-members-announce-mandatory-core-elements-of-health-protocols

• Shore Excursions: Only permit shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply.

Sounds absolutely horrible to me. Masks all the time. Can't go ashore unless with some stupid excursion group. What's the point of cruising if it's not enjoyable?

============================

Highlights of the core elements include:

• Testing. 100% testing of passengers and crew for COVID-19 prior to embarkation.
  • Mask-Wearing. Mandatory wearing of masks by all passengers and crew onboard and during excursions whenever physical distancing cannot be maintained
  • Distancing. Physical distancing in terminals, onboard ships, on private islands and during shore excursions
  • Ventilation. Air management and ventilation strategies to increase fresh air onboard and, where feasible, using enhanced filters and other technologies to mitigate risk
  • Medical Capability: Risk based response plans tailored for each ship to manage medical needs, dedicated cabin capacity allocated for isolation and other operational measures, and advance arrangements with private providers for shoreside quarantine, medical facilities, and transportation.
  • Shore Excursions: Only permit shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply.

Implementation of these elements on board every oceangoing ship subject to the CDC’s No Sail Order is mandatory and requires written verification of adoption by each company’s CEO. These elements do not preclude additional measures that may be adopted by individual lines. Measures will be continuously evaluated and adjusted against the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the availability of new prevention and mitigation measures.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Sounds absolutely horrible to me. Masks all the time. Can't go ashore unless with some stupid excursion group. What's the point of cruising if it's not enjoyable?

hopefully your camping trips can resume soon to release the mounting frustrations of current cruising restrictions

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

It doesn't sound that relaxing to me.  However, I am thinking that unless a good number of us agree to cruise under these conditions, our favorite cruise line may not survive.  All we can hope for is that the virus will be under control enough for these rules to be relaxed soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Testing, masks and distancing are definitely nuisances, but I personally don’t find them “absolutely horrible”. These are all things that have become as routine in my life as tying my shoes. I don’t even give them a second thought anymore.  

We also traveled during the summer to a destination that required Covid testing, pre filling out forms online, registering with the local government, and abiding  by a litany of protocols. These were all small blips of inconvenience in order to enjoy what turned out to be a fantastic, blissful and long awaited vacation. Even my 8 and 10 year old children took the test without a peep. I feel that when the time comes to cruise again, I’ll feel the same way about new cruising procedures. Nuisance? Yes. Absolutely horrible and a reason not to cruise? No.

Now, the shore excursion restriction will deter me from going on certain itineraries based on the ports of call, but not from cruising completely. I’ll just have to be diligent about selecting itineraries where the shore excursion restriction won’t have such a big impact, until these newly presented procedures can be eased. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

So are the vendors on excursions going to be tested daily. ?  Thanks but I will feel better when  we have a vaccine

The CDC has set the bar pretty low on vaccine efficacy required prior to approval.  If a vaccine just tests as 50% effective and clears all of the other hurdles, it can be approved.  I don't know if that will be enough for the CDC and cruise lines to relax other rules that will be in place when cruising starts again.

Cruising with all these restrictions is for cruise addicts not someone looking for a fun vacation.

Besides all the restrictions you are going to need the hot tub police, pool police, lounge chair police, social distancing police, gym police, mask police to enforce all this crap. And then you remove your mask at the one place you are most likely to pick up a virus from other passengers - the dining rooms. Hilarious.

I realize some people have non refundable deposits or took FCC for a canceled cruise and will have to tolerate this or lose out and have no choice. Glad I took the refund now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, satxdiver said:

This is the new normal.  We will not be going back to the way it was before the pandemic.  The vaccine is not the end all to the pandemic nor will the conditions return like they were before the pandemic.  If anyone is waiting for the vaccine thinking things will go back to normal, they are sadly fooling themselves.  Do what our ancestors had to do, adapt to the world as it now exists.

Don't agree. If the virus is controlled by vaccine or just runs it's course, why wouldn't things return to almost normal. Of course there will be things introduced like better hygiene practices but as far as having specified excursion options etc I would hate to see companies using the pandemic as an excuse. The market will soon sort those companies out.

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Highlights of the core elements include:

• Testing. 100% testing of passengers and crew for COVID-19 prior to embarkation.
  • Mask-Wearing. Mandatory wearing of masks by all passengers and crew onboard and during excursions whenever physical distancing cannot be maintained
  • Distancing. Physical distancing in terminals, onboard ships, on private islands and during shore excursions
  • Ventilation. Air management and ventilation strategies to increase fresh air onboard and, where feasible, using enhanced filters and other technologies to mitigate risk
  • Medical Capability: Risk based response plans tailored for each ship to manage medical needs, dedicated cabin capacity allocated for isolation and other operational measures, and advance arrangements with private providers for shoreside quarantine, medical facilities, and transportation.
  • Shore Excursions: Only permit shore excursions according to the cruise operators’ prescribed protocols, with strict adherence required of all passengers and denial of re-boarding for any passengers that do not comply.

Implementation of these elements on board every oceangoing ship subject to the CDC’s No Sail Order is mandatory and requires written verification of adoption by each company’s CEO. These elements do not preclude additional measures that may be adopted by individual lines. Measures will be continuously evaluated and adjusted against the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the availability of new prevention and mitigation measures.

Can't agree more Thrak, that is no holiday. I can't wait to cruise again but those restrictions take denying the kids inheritance to new levels.

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

No going to a highly rated beach the cruise line skips ( I know several), no going to top rated beach bar with the best food, no going to a favorite restaurant on the island, no shopping on your own or shopping period, no unique tours. This is a vacation? Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We all tend to do different things. As a vegetarian, shoreline restaurants are not appealing to me and I haven't found anything in port shops that I can't find faster / easier / same price at home. But I don't have 24/7 entertainment, can't zipline on my mountains, hiking is different here .... I'd go to Tahoe and gets these experiences but that's a lot more expensive than the ships. 

But I do understand how many will find it less attractive and would prefer an all inclusive resort where there are plenty of stores within the resort. When 1 door closes another opens

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

Nah, just go to one of the all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and have a much more relaxed time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is if they let you in , don't require a 14 day quarantine on arrival ( at your expense) and you can return back to the US IF things do not change. And what happens if you contract the virus while there.  Roll of the dice.