Independent shore excursions in the Caribbean

Geobugs

Good evening,

When I booked my MSC cruise, there was no talk of restricting independent shore excursions.  Even at this time, I have not been notified by MSC that in the Caribbean, that I cannot explore St. Juan, PR or St. Thomas, USVI on my own.  Both of these countries are US territories.   If they add this restriction, what is my recourse?  Should not the cruise line either provide the excursion, free or as a part of the cruise?  If they don't provide the excursion free, then should they not reimburse the port charge for that port? 

3 hours ago, Geobugs said:

Good evening,

When I booked my MSC cruise, there was no talk of restricting independent shore excursions.  Even at this time, I have not been notified by MSC that in the Caribbean, that I cannot explore St. Juan, PR or St. Thomas, USVI on my own.  Both of these countries are US territories.   If they add this restriction, what is my recourse?  Should not the cruise line either provide the excursion, free or as a part of the cruise?  If they don't provide the excursion free, then should they not reimburse the port charge for that port? 

Why should the cruise line provide the excursion free?

Edited by crazyank
  • Like 2

I cruise on December 12th on MSC Meraviglia.  I booked a Caribbean cruise that stops in four ports.  This is my tenth cruise and the majority of the time I explore the country on my own.  I normally utilize public transit and find a beach or a dine at a off the beaten path restaurant.  If MSC restricts my ability to do that, then it is the equivalent to booking an airline flight to the Caribbean and not letting me off the plane.  If they deny my visit into the country, then they should pay for the flight, in this case the port charge.  If they require an alternative way of visiting the port, via MSC excursion, then they should provide that.  It is NOT the country that is requiring the MSC excursion, it is the cruise line.  If MSC doesn't provide the excursion, then let me off in port to explore on my own. 

It shouldn't be difficult to understand. It's about maintaining control to minimize contact with native peoples who may be infected with the corona virus. 

The protocols the cruise industry puts in place have to be restrictive to get CDC approval. The on shore restrictions are being used by MSC in the Med and it seems to be working.

If you want to explore on your own, just book a vacation on which ever islands you want to visit.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

It is NOT the country that is requiring the MSC excursion, it is the cruise line.  If MSC doesn't provide the excursion, then let me off in port to explore on my own. 

I don't think there is any evidence to support that, in fact in Europe it has definitely been government decisions.  MSC won't be the entity deciding you cannot go wander around on your own.  That decision will be made by the Caribbean governments that finally allow cruising to resume.  From what I read MSC did give between one and five excursions to people who were already booked or were moved to Grandiosa, dependent on which cabin level they had booked.  New bookings were offered a basic excursion package at a reasonable rate.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

My wife and I have a cruise booked on NCL for January, and we're celebrating my birthday. I chose the cruise based more on the itinerary than anything else. Nevertheless, as others have stated, the ability to dock in a port is outside the control of the cruise line. It depends on the country where the port is located. I don't know if people remember, but earlier this year, MSC was denied permission to dock in Jamaica because a crew member had the flu (NOT COVID). Despite their strenuous objections, they had no choice but to leave the port. Was it their fault? Absolutely not! I never blame the cruise line for factors beyond their control. Is it disappointing to choose a cruise based on itinerary and then have it changed? Of course. And if our cruise is changed in some way, I might be annoyed, but I'll still have a good time. It's still vacation, after all! MSC has been successful in Europe by requiring passengers to take excursions arranged by them, not independently. Seems like a good plan, for now. And you can always travel to a country on your own and explore it without the cruise part. Don't lose heart!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geobugs said:

I cruise on December 12th on MSC Meraviglia.  I booked a Caribbean cruise that stops in four ports.  This is my tenth cruise and the majority of the time I explore the country on my own.  I normally utilize public transit and find a beach or a dine at a off the beaten path restaurant.  If MSC restricts my ability to do that, then it is the equivalent to booking an airline flight to the Caribbean and not letting me off the plane.  If they deny my visit into the country, then they should pay for the flight, in this case the port charge.  If they require an alternative way of visiting the port, via MSC excursion, then they should provide that.  It is NOT the country that is requiring the MSC excursion, it is the cruise line.  If MSC doesn't provide the excursion, then let me off in port to explore on my own. 

I am guessing this is your first MSC cruise, if you have these demands do you think your regular cruise line would do as you want —- I think not. When did you book if in the Covid  timeframe you should not expect to cruise let alone stipulate demands. As a point of interest who is your regular line as I’m sure other CC members will have experience of that line

• Like 1

I do understand that it is about maintaining control.  Is there any evidence that MSC excursions prevents spread of the virus?  Is there any evidence that independent shore excursions actually spread the virus?  Why not just test for covid-19 when I attempt to re-board from the port?   I want to explore on my own and when I booked there was no restrictions in place.  And since I booked prior to August, I am not eligible for a refund.

They will let you off.  They just won't let you back on.  TBH, I think your "point" is ridiculous.  

• Like 1

If MSC restricts my ability to do that, then it is the equivalent to booking an airline flight to the Caribbean and not letting me off the plane.  If they deny my visit into the country, then they should pay for the flight, in this case the port charge.  

You pay an airline to move you from point to point.  Unless you just love airline food.  Not the same thing.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

MSC denied boarding to a family that wandered away from an organised excursion in the Mediterranean . So if you do get to cruise bear that in mind

But there were told ahead of time of that if they left the already paid MSC excursion, then they would be denied boarding.    I have not been notified that I cannot explore the island on my own.  The  key is notice.

I do understand that it is about maintaining control.  Is there any evidence that MSC excursions prevents spread of the virus?  Is there any evidence that independent shore excursions actually spread the virus?  Why not just test for covid-19 when I attempt to re-board from the port?   I want to explore on my own and when I booked there was no restrictions in place.  And since I booked prior to August, I am not eligible for a refund.

If you are either unable or refuse to follow the prevailing conditions at the current time then it would be advisable to move your cruise to a later date or cancel it unless the Caribbean is treated differently with regards yours.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sidari said:

If you are either unable or refuse to follow the prevailing conditions at the current time then it would be advisable to move your cruise to a later date or cancel it unless the Caribbean is treated differently with regards yours.

MSC will not let me move the date or cancel the cruise, as I am paid in full and cruise is outside the window to cancel.

18 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

MSC will not let me move the date or cancel the cruise, as I am paid in full and cruise is outside the window to cancel.

We all have to work within the confines of the current situation.  We don't have to agree with it or even like it for that matter.  However, we do need to have a paradigm shift in our thinking.  

I'm not sure what you think we can help you with here on CC.  At this point you have a few choices but an attitude adjustment is going to have take place, if you are going to enjoy your cruise.  

Try to make the best of a challenging situation and you just might surprise yourself and enjoy the cruise.

• Like 2

But there were told ahead of time of that if they left the already paid MSC excursion, then they would be denied boarding.    I have not been notified that I cannot explore the island on my own.  The  key is notice.

I don't believe the highlighted part to be accurate. MSC did not know they would be requiring ship sponsored excursions until just before they sailed. Likely, those passengers were in the same situation as you. Paid in full.

We also don't know if this requirement is from MSC, Italy, or a negotiated compromise. MSC can not notify you of Caribbean stipulations because at this time there are none. Once a plan to resume sailing is approved, we will know whether or not Caribbean ports require ship sponsored tours. How can MSC notify you when the safe to resume cruising plan has not yet been adopted? 

As a cruiser, you know full well that any cruise can become a cruise to no-where. MSC does not typically refund port charges even in the best of conditions, so I don't see them refunding during Covid.

Since you are within final payment, my guess is your cruise is this year? Your best course of action is to wait for MSC to cancel this cruise and seek a refund at that time. If this cruise happens to sail, you maybe able to have the monies paid applied to a ship sailing in 2022 where it is more likely (not guaranteed) that things will be more as we remember. Carnival cruise line has already said that anyone sailing in 2020 can move their cruise to a future date (and they are tossing in some additional FCC credits). It is likely MSC will offer something similar.

IMO; Anyone with a cruise scheduled should be prepared for many changes to policy. Some changes will be initiated by the cruise line. Some by the port governments, and some by our very own CDC.  I don't expect that cruising will ever resume to exactly what it looked like pre-covid, but for those with cruises scheduled through 2021, I would suggest you pack both grace and flexibility. We're in for a long ride.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Geobugs said:

Even at this time, I have not been notified by MSC that in the Caribbean, that I cannot explore St. Juan, PR or St. Thomas, USVI on my own.  Both of these countries are US territories.   If they add this restriction, what is my recourse? 

I wondered about this as well since they are US territories. But then I remembered that both of them have their own set of protocols and restrictions, including mandatory Covid tests within 72 hours of arrival, online government registration, agreeing to sign up for tracking, and mandatory quarantine for passengers arriving without a Covid test. When we went to Puerto Rico on vacation in July, we had to abide by these rules if we even wanted to exit the airport. 

Based on what we’re seeing in Europe, I’m inferring that the way that the cruise lines will get around these admission requirements will be to provide a “bubble” for their cruise passengers, meaning mandatory shore excursions. They’ll have no choice but to work with the governments of each port of call. Even if a port of call doesn’t required excursions, the cruise line STILL has a responsibility to maintain that bubble. If they allow you to wander on your own, you will have effectively popped that bubble. They won’t let that happen. 

I doubt that you’ll will have any recourse if you refuse to abide by the new procedures. If the ship will still be visiting these ports, they’ll give you a way to go ashore that’s agreed upon by the cruise line and the government of each port of call visited. The only way that I see you getting any money back will be if the actual port of call is canceled, at which time you’ll get port charges back. 

The cruise lines are navigating uncharted territories with this pandemic, and they are coming up with ways to make cruising happen again. For the foreseeable future, it will NOT be like it was before the pandemic and you need to be OK with it if you want to cruise. There’s really no way around it.

If you are unable to go ashore because you refuse to purchase an excursion, you can’t blame the cruise line and expect compensation. The only one to blame in that situation will be you. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tapi said:

The only way that I see you getting any money back will be if the actual port of call is canceled, at which time you’ll get port charges back.

Just for clarification, it is not MSC's policy to automatically give back port charges with a cancelled port. I have read where passengers report success by making a claim with MSC upon return, but the standard policy is no port refunds.

Edited to add: In the USA. I'm not sure what MSC's policies are outside of USA sailings.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just for clarification, it is not MSC's policy to automatically give back port charges with a cancelled port. I have read where passengers report success by making a claim with MSC upon return, but the standard policy is no port refunds.

Edited to add: In the USA. I'm not sure what MSC's policies are outside of USA sailings.

Thanks for that clarification. I’d need to read the fine print. I’m going by what I’ve experienced in the past when a port of call is canceled. A refund in the form of onboard credit will appear on my shipboard account.

I have also received a refund of port charges (even if we still visit all ports on the original itinerary) when port charges at the time of cruising are lower than when I originally booked the cruise. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1