New health guidelines for the future

Upper Bob

1 hour ago, nini said:

How would this work: We plan on landing in Rome and touring

Tuscany, Florence and maybe Venice before we return to Rome to

embark on the ship. We would be traveling in Italy at least one

week before boarding. This is September 2021

Caution  should you get ill in Italy make sure you have a very large line of credit on credit cards . I was ill in 2008 in rome .The hospital required a $15000 deposit or I would not be admitted  

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I guess we will have to avoid Princess ships with the medallion as we are not about to buy a smartphone in order to cruise. (BTW, our cancelled summer cruise was on one of those ships.)

Medallions are not designed to work with smartphones. They work independently. You do not need a smartphone, or any cell phone for that matter, ALL Princess ships will be Medallion Class when sailing resumes. (John Chernesky, Sr VP of Sales for Princess, in a webinar Weds eve, 10/7/2020.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

this won't help those across the pond just yet BUT Oakland International Airport announced free Covid-19 tests for those getting on a plane. They suggest allowing an extra hour so the results will be in before you board. I may look at flying from Oakland instead of SF which still charges $250 for the test (unless SF counters with free tests)

I can see this happening worldwide eventually 

Another reason why we will not fly any longer . charging a fee for the covid 19 test is a rip off .if the airlines want business they  need to change that fee ,imo  . Also ,they have people going vto the airport way longer in advance of the flight . I called this one huge mess & I feel very empathetic   for the travelers that have  to bear that pain 

5 hours ago, Aulanis said:

My opinion is that they need proper testing at the ports as they are hoping to do at

the big airports.    Say we get a test  71 hours before we board and it comes back

negative.   What is there to say we havent been infected  in the intervening 70 hours

and still show no symptoms.  We get on the ship and a day later , whoops we had it all along!.

There is no fail-safe method, unfortunately. My late wife had terminal cancer. She asked the doctor, "How much time do I have?" He said, "No way of telling." She said, "True, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow." Most of us choose to not live our lives in a bubble.

Edited by HappyCruiserettu
Typo.
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I guess we will have to avoid Princess ships with the medallion as we are not about to buy a smartphone in order to cruise. (BTW, our cancelled summer cruise was on one of those ships.)

You don't have a smartphone? Did you come here from the 90s? LOL

Just kidding, BTW, my wife resisted for a long time, now she uses it round the clock. I typically don't like to schlep my iPhone with me while onboard but it'll be handy in case they change the menus to QR codes. (that's what they did at our resort in Mexico last month, and more restaurants here in the DC area are, too)

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Would they require me to take a COVID test before getting on the plane AND then again while I am in London?  How would I even begin to look for a place to administer the test?  Would I have to pay for this test twice?

It may be a non-issue for you in the UK. I've read stories about visitors who needed hospital care and didn't receive a bill.

Wish we had universal health care.:classic_sad:

2 hours ago, phabric said:

When I see a waiter passing I just order a drink from him.  One time, I did not see any waiter around the pool, I saw the head guy (the one in the white shirt), he called a waiter over to taken my order. In the theater, order from a passing waiter. Passing a bar, pick up a drink. You don’t need a phone.

This sounds like it won't be possible with the new guidelines in place. Things may change once a vaccine is released.

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It will be interesting how they deal with exceptions.  

I don't know how many of us would take to people getting exceptions to being tested within a certain time frame.

If you can't meet the requirements for whatever reason, you can't board. We're dealing with people's lives here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phabric said:

They should have a person standing there telling people to wash their hands.

On my voyages on the Grand Princess they hand a person standing by the sanitizing station asking people to clean their hands.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pms4104 said:

My impression is that these guidelines are a constantly evolving work in progress, based on input and/or approval from the CDC and its counterparts across the globe.

I am concerned about the over reliance on Medallion

Class and one's smart device to check whether a venue or activity is at capacity yet.  Not everyone has a smart device or uses one onboard.  Will Princess provide such a device?

It'll be interesting to follow the evolution of these guudelines to actual enforcible policies.  

I'm concerned about the medallion use too, since I do not own or need a smart phone.  Not sure how this is going to work for  folks my me and my husband.   I guess in time we will see.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Medallions are not designed to work with smartphones. They work independently. You do not need a smartphone, or any cell phone for that matter, ALL Princess ships will be Medallion Class when sailing resumes. (John Chernesky, Sr VP of Sales for Princess, in a webinar Weds eve, 10/7/2020.)

Then explain how do you need to get the medallion ready with an app?

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Maybe, Princess will rent phones or pads for those who don't have one.

Only time will tell.

Thanks,  I did do a couple of youtube searches to see if I would see what Princess might be saying about this.  Found that there may be screens on board, plus options on cabin tv  folks can use if they wish, through the ship.  I probably will just opt for a cruise card, assuming still available.  Do not plan to cruise til 2022, so by that time should be fully operational. 

9 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I read the new health guidelines in the link above  I found this interesting

• "encouraging guests at venue entrances to use the hand-washing sinks and hand sanitizer dispensers"
  • I guess they can't make PAX wash their hands.

Except at the entrance to the buffet, I do not know of any hand-washing sinks at any venue entrance and I doubt  they have installed any during the Pause.

9 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Do you have a link to that webinar?

22 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If the price is a factor then you can get one for as low as $80Screenshot_20201009-033009_Chrome.thumb.jpg.10960ead78921f38bce6caa54e644a53.jpg

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Except at the entrance to the buffet, I do not know of any hand-washing sinks at any venue entrance and I doubt  they have installed any during the Pause.

On the Sky there are sinks at the entrance of the buffet.

• Like 1

A vaccine will not magically fix everything and make the cruising experience the same as it used to be. The best vaccine will be about 70% protective, for one thing. And about 40% of Americans say they will never get the vaccine.

It would be crazy to cruise without a Covid specific insurance policy to cover medical care and evacuation, I haven’t seen that mentioned. Most travel insurance excludes pandemics, and many US health insurance plans provide zero coverage outside the country.

All these health guidelines are not going to work because if you or anyone else wants to avoid catching a virus - you should stay at home.. which is also not safe cause you have to leave your home to get food or order it online from people who might potentially carry the disease.. 

A few thoughts/opinions:

Sinks and counters are easy to install anywhere there is a water line.  Since the entrance to the buffets are near the kitchen, it wouldn't be that much of a problem.  Any cruise line that wants to keep it's crew and passengers healthy have probably already installed them.  They work very well on RCCL ships.

I've noticed that many people on this thread are "looking backward" instead of "forward".  Adjustments have to be made to our expectations.  I don't personally think any of the changes are that much of a hardship.  I like the idea of eating in a less crowded, less noisy dining room on the ships.  I WANT to wash my hands before I eat. 

Trust me on this next one:  cruise lines WANT HAPPY CUSTOMERS.  They will do their best to make your experience a good one, but we all need to adjust, too.  My happy list:

masks - check

social distancing - check

washing hands a LOT - check

fewer people in the dining rooms - check

COVID19 tests for everyone - check (keeps you safe; keeps me safe)

My only real concern is elevators, and they must get that figured out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, pcur said:

My only real concern is elevators, and they must get that figured out.

less occupancy - less elevators needed in use

smooth elevator operator pushing the buttons and limiting elevator load ... then it's up to the individuals, some won't care how crowded the elevators are, its' there cruze 😷

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

less occupancy - less elevators needed in use

smooth elevator operator pushing the buttons and limiting elevator load ... then it's up to the individuals, some won't care how crowded the elevators are, its' there cruze 😷

I just read an article that they might use UV light in/around the elevators to kill viruses, etc.  That might work.  I also think voice activated controls is also a good idea.

• Like 1

vaccines & any other   methods  to prevent  this covid 19 virus from spreading ,on any public conveyance is essential, for these industries to remain in business & be profitable once again .  However ,we all can 't be wearing masks ,shields ie in dining areas or at  bars  on cruise ships . You don't take a fork full of food into your mouth & then replace your mask .It just won't work  .Same with drinks .Then there are the many pax on the  ships elevator s  .Perhaps a light  might kill the virus but ,that has to be proven before passengers can safely use the elevators on ships or even in buildings . This could present a opportunity for a new huge business opportunity  .

We are 81 year old seniors & not until it is safe would we cruise . We will take the vaccine injections when our doctor tells us it is safe  for us to do so   . imo ,most seniors will think the same way . Thus ,the cruise industry ,airline industry ,ie have major challenges ahead .We decided some time ago after flying all over this world that flying is no longer a option for us to cruise .We are fortunate to live close to 2 California ports & can drive to each port  within short periods of time