No dinner buffet option

jwc1027

43 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Personally, I embrace the new technology, and have been using it on land and sea, it does make our lives easier. 

There are a few that feel they are heavily plugged in during their normal lives and routines and want to completely disconnect while on a cruise.  Then there are the technology challenged who were never plugged in to begin with and have extreme difficulties with anything electronic. Then there are the money-conscious cruisers who remember a time when roaming charges were as much as a mortgage payment.

What we need is free onboard WiFi for all. 🤣😂 Seriously, if offered as a freebie (disguised, I guess, since we would probably end up with a slightly higher fare), I bet more people would have their phones on 24/7.  I wonder how much WiFi costs a ship anyway, anyone know? 

The nice thing about the app is that it uses the ships intranet so no need to purchase wifi service. If you put your phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi you won't receive outside phone calls or emails. The technology challenged will just have to deal with the paper menus and waiting on line to get into a show. I don't think that there are too many in that category. If anything covid has forced them into the 21st century. My wife is amazed how her elderly patients have caught on to video office visits via zoom. She had to talk them through it once or twice but now they prefer zoom visits to live visits.  I'm spoiled by the drive up service at restaurants and department stores. I hope that never goes away.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

All your cash fits in your lanyard?  I usually have a bunch of singles for the bartenders but they don't fit in my landyard.  Is there a landyard that can hold cash?  That would be great if someone could come up with a landyard that could fit seapass, cash, phone, lipstick, etc.  Should we patent it?  LOL

I have a lanyard that has a little zipper pocket where I put cash.  I dont carry lipstick but sounds like a great idea.    Like it!!  Better patent it before someone else does.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have a lanyard that has a little zipper pocket where I put cash.  I dont carry lipstick but sounds like a great idea.    Like it!!  Better patent it before someone else does.

Wow -- love it -- where did you find it? Want it for my next cruise.

10 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I bought it at one of the kiosks they have in cruise terminal before you board the ship.   I'm going to check now if I can get you a photo of it.  

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

They are sold on etsy.com.   here is one very similar to mine.  I have bought all my face masks on etsy site too.  Lots of choices.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/830915305/zipper-pouch-id-holder-zip-wallet?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=id+lanyard+with+zipper+pouch&ref=sr_gallery-1-12&organic_search_click=1&cns=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow -- loving them -- thanks so much!!!

We went to a buffet in Vegas last month. Food was out on the buffet. But you had to have the waiter go get it for you. All you can eat, but you could not self-serve. Everyone had to stay seated in their socially distant tables. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Agree.  I put my cell phone in the safe on day 1 and do not take it out of the safe until the day we depart.

But how would you snap the all important selfie without a smartphone? 

😄😉

On 10/9/2020 at 2:08 PM, reallyitsmema said:

The information that blog is reposting is from Royal Caribbean's Singapore website.  There is extensive information there on opening, including a list of FAQs which is where the Windjammer statement comes from.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise?country=SGP#indooractivities

FAQs

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise/faq

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

For our last  several cruises our group would not have dessert in the mDR, complete dinner in 45 minutes, then walk up to the Windjammer for coffee and dessert...

Another new normal.......not for I, 10 cruises in 2021, 4 cancelled so far by RCL and I will final pay for the REAL normal...  

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm spoiled by the drive up service at restaurants and department stores. I hope that never goes away.

I'm getting spoiled by zoom medical conferences that don't require me to shut down the office and travel someplace. I hope that never goes away.

It has been a while since the days when my phone went into the cabin safe. I like being able to use the RCI app, respond to important e-mails, and, of course, post things that could be of interest on C.C.  from the ship.😊

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:00 PM, Ashland said:

Unfortunately over the past few years more and more have started eating dinner at the WJ. It used to be very quiet and lights lowered. Hopefully more will feel like you as cruising starts again.

We can only hope.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The WJ will be closed for during dinner hours - breakfast and lunch open.  Reservations are recommended but not required - walk-ins may be served if space allows. .

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 6.03.26 PM.png

Where did that come from? It doesn't make me happy.

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Right -- those cruise compasses, promotional flyers, invitations might go the way of the dinosaurs in the post-pandemic world.  🤣

The problem is I have found the cruise compass to be more accurate than the app as to what is going on around the ship. You would think that it would be the other way around since the app can be updated in real time with changes that occur.

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The problem is I have found the cruise compass to be more accurate than the app as to what is going on around the ship. You would think that it would be the other way around since the app can be updated in real time with changes that occur.

Agree.

63B6A930-BD07-47D6-9947-A40A850AEDE7.jpeg.2aba1e8709a2fc51f6870cc7e95ea956.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2020 at 1:47 PM, spookwife said:

Doesn’t surprise me in the least.  Nor does it bother me.  Not the biggest fan of buffets in the first place

Many people are not bothered until something happens that does affect them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm getting spoiled by zoom medical conferences that don't require me to shut down the office and travel someplace. I hope that never goes away.

It has been a while since the days when my phone went into the cabin safe. I like being able to use the RCI app, respond to important e-mails, and, of course, post things that could be of interest on C.C.  from the ship.😊

I also like the video appointments and hope I can do more of those in the future for follow up visits. I hope the insurance companies don't put the kibosh on those visits. 

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I never understood the appeal of lanyards. It would never be my choice to wear one on a cruise.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I never understood the appeal of lanyards. It would never be my choice to wear one on a cruise.

Agree...I have a very small cross body bag that holds my iPhone & SeaPass card perfectly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The WJ will be closed for during dinner hours - breakfast and lunch open.  Reservations are recommended but not required - walk-ins may be served if space allows. .

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 6.03.26 PM.png

The WJ closed for dinner...this makes me extremely unhappy.

I don't see the point of this decision at all if true !!

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

The WJ closed for dinner...this makes me extremely unhappy.

I don't see the point of this decision at all if true !!

It's very much true for the sailings out of Singapore.  When cruises restart out of US ports, it might be different -- we'll have to wait and see. 

7 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

When most dresses, skirts, slacks, bathing suit, etc have no pockets and I dont want to carry a purse or a crossbody the lanyard is perfect!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes, no pockets is a challenge.  What I do is carry either a small cross-body or a fashionable fanny pack that fits phone, make-up and more importantly, one I can dance with. 🤣 

Paper menus are fine as well but paper costs money and doesn't save trees.  Hopefully the WJ will still be open for breakfast and lunch. 

There is no such thing as a fashionable fanny pack 😁

• Haha 1