No dinner buffet option

jwc1027

The information that blog is reposting is from Royal Caribbean's Singapore website.  There is extensive information there on opening, including a list of FAQs which is where the Windjammer statement comes from.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise?country=SGP#indooractivities

FAQs

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise/faq

• Thanks 1

I think we'll have to wait and see. I don't think there should be any problem with the staff

served buffet on RCI....Just like they do when there's a noro-virus outbreak onboard.

We eat most of our meals in the WJ or occasionally at MTD...We got over the long drawn

out hours spent in the dining room years ago...it's just not our thing anymore.

Just how is the OP getting  "No Dinner Buffet" from the link posted ????

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I've been on anthem several times and only remember an area outdoors wj near pool deck.  Do they have large out deck/patio to eat outside like serande and jewel?  It's been so long I cannot remember...

Yup, all the way aft, just like on Radiance class ships.  It is easy to find a seat out there at times on winter Anthem sailings, doesn't seem to get too busy until the ship gets closer to Florida.

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yup, all the way aft, just like on Radiance class ships.  It is easy to find a seat out there at times on winter Anthem sailings, doesn't seem to get too busy until the ship gets closer to Florida.

Excellent. That would very  well for people who want to do outdoor dining like we have been doing all summer in most states.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'm one who often ate in the buffet for dinner. I liked rcl grilled small steaks to order

Yes, the grill station does look quite appetizing and selection is good. You often get a choice of beef, pork, chicken and sea food like salmon.

Probably be a few months until things are back to near normal.   It will be interesting to see how they remove a thousand or so from from daily buffet and set up social distancing in the MDR.  Dinner may be from 1PM to midnight. 

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

The information that blog is reposting is from Royal Caribbean's Singapore website.  There is extensive information there on opening, including a list of FAQs which is where the Windjammer statement comes from.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise?country=SGP#indooractivities

FAQs

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise/faq

Thank you.

Extremely interesting read.

50% capacity is a good idea.

Graham.

15 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:
Probably be a few months until things are back to near normal.   It will be interesting to see how they remove a thousand or so from from daily buffet and set up social distancing in the MDR.  Dinner may be from 1PM to midnight. 

50% capacity should help in a lot of area's.

Graham.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have always enjoyed lunch or breakfast buffet and being able eat outdoors on ships such as serenade and jewel.  That is a great option to have during pandemic.

Agree but it’s not that large of area. We never use buffet for dinner.

2 hours ago, George C said:

Agree but it’s not that large of area. We never use buffet for dinner.

Unfortunately over the past few years more and more have started eating dinner at the WJ. It used to be very quiet and lights lowered. Hopefully more will feel like you as cruising starts again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Unfortunately over the past few years more and more have started eating dinner at the WJ. It used to be very quiet and lights lowered. Hopefully more will feel like you as cruising starts again.

Agree. 20 plus yrs ago WJ for Dinner was more Formal having Waiters, Menus, and even had table linens. Only 2 times a Cruise was busy, Formal Nites when people didnt want wear required Jacket/Tie in MD, and on last nite when some were avoiding paying Tips to Main Dining Staff. Old days it even had afternoon Tea Time. Now WJ can be busy busy...

• Like 1

50% can't wait to see how they make money, some things like the ship etc. cost are fixed, labor could be cut for direct crew for passengers but going big amortizes cost.  

I guess with 50% reduction dining everyone in the formal sit down won't be a problem, not clear that is any more safe than a served buffet, but again the cruise lines have shown they don't know much about a few things, LOL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, chipmaster said:

50% can't wait to see how they make money, some things like the ship etc. cost are fixed, labor could be cut for direct crew for passengers but going big amortizes cost.  

The cruise lines have suggested that 50% may be the break even point.  At this point I think the cruise lines are most interested in finding a way to stop bleeding money.  I think they realize that it may still take a year or two before thinks start to return to the pre-Covid levels. They just need to make it that long.

Not a fan of buffets.  Some people are real slobs.  Eating with their fingers while on line- picking things up without using serving utensils, putting things back.  

If we ever dine at the buffets, we always try to be the first guests on line.  I assume that waiter service will be the option.  Less waste- nobody else touching serving utensils.  Some people also bring back used plates to refill. ugh

• Like 1

At 50% they don't need a full crew. They are also using the more modern ships that are more economical to run, People will still buy drink packages and dining packages, as well as individual drinks. It all means there is cash coming in.

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Not a fan of buffets.  Some people are real slobs.  Eating with their fingers while on line- picking things up without using serving utensils, putting things back.  

If we ever dine at the buffets, we always try to be the first guests on line.  I assume that waiter service will be the option.  Less waste- nobody else touching serving utensils.  Some people also bring back used plates to refill. ugh

Same ones you share the elevator or handrails or might touch the seats in the theater or bar stools etc.,  not sure how their sanitation in the buffet line is any different than the rest of the ship.

BTW germs from mouth etc. are the source of COVID, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, LOL.

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

At 50% they don't need a full crew. They are also using the more modern ships that are more economical to run, People will still buy drink packages and dining packages, as well as individual drinks. It all means there is cash coming in.

Less of the servers for sure, but officers and essentials you can't reduce, and there are a few hundred of those, the most highly compensated.     

Any time i ate in the buffet which was usually breakfast , i only ate with a knife and fork.

I never touch any of my food with my fingers . 

If you see somebody eating a muffin with a knife and fork , that would be me .

Same goes for the dining room , and  i never eat the bread .