alaska cruises

simong

Well I mean July is so far away, but I'd say you have a very good chance to sail. I mean no one knows of course not that is what, 9 months away. We sail Oasis in August so hopefully we both sail, for the cruise lines sale those cruises better sail I

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Well I mean July is so far away, but I'd say you have a very good chance to sail. I mean no one knows of course not that is what, 9 months away. We sail Oasis in August so hopefully we both sail, for the cruise lines sale those cruises better sail I

You could have said September is so far away this past March, and look where we are, maybe things will change come winter and indeed 6 months is a long time if people willing to make the necessary sacrifices. 

• Like 2

You could have said September is so far away this past March, and look where we are, maybe things will change come winter and indeed 6 months is a long time if people willing to make the necessary sacrifices. 
July 2021 will be well over a year of this pandemic. I'm not saying everything will be hunky dory but should be and hopefully better by then. I mean it's gotta die down at some point, again hopefully. Treatments and maybe a vaccine would help.
I just watched a very interesting YouTube video from a doctor talking about a study of vitamin D to stop Covid. Pretty interesting stuff.

13 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

July 2021 will be well over a year of this pandemic. I'm not saying everything will be hunky dory but should be

Maybe, maybe not.

The 1918 pandemic lasted almost 2 years (totally), with the first cases showing up in the Spring of 1918, with a second wave in the Fall of 1918, easing up around November.  Then, a third wave began in the winter/early spring of 1919.  By summer 1919 it had mostly died out with a small resurgence in winter 1920.

Maybe, maybe not.

The 1918 pandemic lasted almost 2 years (totally), with the first cases showing up in the Spring of 1918, with a second wave in the Fall of 1918, easing up around November.  Then, a third wave began in the winter/early spring of 1919.  By summer 1919 it had mostly died out with a small resurgence in winter 1920.
Yes, I read up on that pandemic lasting about 2 years. That is why I sure "hopefully" and we are bit further ahead in medicine and science then 1918. Hopefully treatment and a vaccine will allows to get back up more normal. Maybe, maybe not like you said. All we can do is hope.

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Ask Canada.

Do people have to be able to get off in Canada in order to satisfy the Passenger Vessel Services Act?

As to San Francisco: Mayor Breed only said 'not this year.' With the city moving towards yellow restrictions it could make it all the way to green 9 months from now. IF people continue doing as asked

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

Do people have to be able to get off in Canada in order to satisfy the Passenger Vessel Services Act?

As to San Francisco: Mayor Breed only said 'not this year.' With the city moving towards yellow restrictions it could make it all the way to green 9 months from now. IF people continue doing as asked

Yes.

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes.

just using Vancouver as an extreme example

"What if" their port restrictions - such as immediately after getting off the ship, you will be directed to a medical tent for Covid-19 testing ... the test results will be available in 8 hours, and until then you will be confined to the immediate area ( fenced in and patrolled ) 

so cruisers "could" get off at the port

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

"What if" their port restrictions - such as immediately after getting off the ship, you will be directed to a medical tent for Covid-19 testing ... the test results will be available in 8 hours, and until then you will be confined to the immediate area ( fenced in and patrolled ) 

I believe that CBP would take a long, hard look at that, given that their intent the last time "technical port calls" were questioned was to uphold not only the "letter" of the law, but the "intent" as well.

And, you would have to convince Canada that this was a 100% fool proof and safe procedure, and what do you do with the locals who manned the medical tent, and serviced the passengers within the fenced area?  Do you quarantine them for 14 days?

So unless the majority of the USA gets their s••t in line (masks, cleanliness, social distance) to bring this thing down, Canada is out as they will do what is necessary to protect themselves and cruises to Alaska may be off. I've read that Skagway is seeing a 90% drop in income / employment 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

How big is the fenced area?  Social distancing?  But, as I say, CBP takes a dim view of these technical stops.

not that big ... who would want to get off the ship under those conditions ???

and add that those who did get off the ship, go thru the 8 hour process - well those people would need to be re-tested upon arrival back to the tent area for retesting, but allowed to re-board the ship subject to ship quarantine until those results are delivered

the whole point being , sure you can get off the ship ... 

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

So unless the majority of the USA gets their s••t in line (masks, cleanliness, social distance) to bring this thing down, Canada is out as they will do what is necessary to protect themselves and cruises to Alaska may be off. I've read that Skagway is seeing a 90% drop in income / employment 

A 90% drop in income/employment happens every year after the Cruise Season.   Skagway's population is only 920 citizens according to the latest census .  Year around employment is 102, mainly govt employees.   Seasonal workers coming from the lower 48 to Skagway for the cruise Season amounts to around 900,  most if, not all are staying in the dormitories.  All cruises to Alaska for the 2021 season will happen.  A corona virus vaccine will be available next month and a 100 Million doses are ready to be delivered.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, voljeep said:

And where would all these passengers wait for 8 hours for the results? Along with those arriving passengers who want to get there cruises started?  Vancouver can handle up to 4 cruise ships at a time. And why 8 hours?  I just had a COVID test that took about 15 minutes for the results at my doctors office

In the U.S.  there are problems with people refusing to wear masks.

If masks are a requirement in areas of the ship where you can't social distance, what happens when there are passengers

that won't comply.Lock them up? throw them overboard?Put them off the ship in the next port?

I like to think our fellow passengers will comply with any new rules. Right now we have cancelled (or  Princess has cancelled )

cruises. We booked our first cruise for July 2021. I am hopeful by then there is a vaccine and Princess has started cruising with good health results on board the ships.

Years ago when Princess and other cruise lines had to stop at a foreign port(cruises to Hawaii ,coastals). They would make Ensenada a stop but not really. Ship would be off the coast of Ensenada and someone would come on board  and do the paperwork for complying. No docking and no passengers got off.Nice and easy. Maybe that is something they could do for Alaska without actually stopping in a Canadian port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, san diego sue said:

If masks are a requirement in areas of the ship where you can't social distance, what happens when there are passengers

that won't comply.Lock them up? throw them overboard?Put them off the ship in the next port?

As with any  requirements onboard a ship, if a passenger doesn't comply they can be removed from the ship, at the Captain's discretion.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Years ago when Princess and other cruise lines had to stop at a foreign port(cruises to Hawaii ,coastals). They would make Ensenada a stop but not really. Ship would be off the coast of Ensenada and someone would come on board  and do the paperwork for complying. No docking and no passengers got off.Nice and easy. Maybe that is something they could do for Alaska without actually stopping in a Canadian port.

No, "service calls" (that's what those sort of stops were called), have been determined to not fulfill the "stop at a foreign port" requirement of the law.   To fulfill the requirement the foreign port stop must allow passengers to debark the ship.