Walk out of shows or nap?

On 10/27/2020 at 4:29 AM, Bloodgem said:

I'm not sure the cast can see the audience because of the stage lights

Part of Cats is an exception to that, especially noticed that when my wife made me sit in the first 5 rows.   There is a scene where the CATS climb over the audience seats and the lights are up high enough to allow everyone to see.    I spent much of the 2nd half of CATS looking at the characters costumes and deciding if a male or female is in the costume.  Some blatant liar told me the 2nd half got better!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Grumpus said:

If I'm no longer interested in the show, whatever it may be, I walk out.  My time on the ship is too precious to waste it sleeping in the theater.

Ok, fess up, you were in CATS with us, I know you were there till the intermission at least. 🙂  Thanks again for that photo.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

If you were lucky enough to get a seat at one of Perry Grant’s performances, you did not leave!  Loved him on Celebrity

m

We saw him one time and would never go back again. We have friends that liked him and I know he has a following. To us he was very rude and downright ugly to people. I have seen performers that are rude and funny, but he took it to a whole different level. 

3 hours ago, yogimax said:

We were at one show with an obnoxious (insulting) comedian.  One elderly gentleman got up and was walking down the aisle to leave when the "comedian" left the stage and ran up the aisle following him.

He ran right into the gentleman, hitting him in the back and  knocking him over.

What a jerk!

Was that on Celebrity and a jerk named Perry? Sounds like something he would do. He's that mean.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:35 AM, Wannacruise81 said:

Some shows in the theater are boring, (ahem Cats on Oasis). Do you usually walk out of the show if it doesn't interest you? Or Do you take a nap and re-energize for the next activity on the daily planner? 

I always wonder if a performer thinks it is rude for a audience to walk out during the show or see them sleeping 😴? (In any type of venue-not specifically on a cruise ship theater)

I usually sit at the end of an aisle so I can make my escape!

I never walk out of a show no matter how boring but I have fallen asleep at a show.

I was in the first row from the stage at a production of The Fantastiks.Apparently I fell asleep and one of the actors tapped me on the head with a sword.It was very embarrassing ,I attempted to talk to him after the show to apologize but he was not interested.After that I never sat that close again.

51 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Part of Cats is an exception to that, especially noticed that when my wife made me sit in the first 5 rows.   There is a scene where the CATS climb over the audience seats and the lights are up high enough to allow everyone to see.   

Yes, you absolutely need to sit in the first 5 rows and on the right side as you walk in.  I had the pleasure of having one of the cats jump into the seat next to me and purr.

Great show!

14 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Was that on Celebrity and a jerk named Perry? Sounds like something he would do. He's that mean.

It was RCCL but RCCL and Celebrity often share performers.

I'm sorry but I simply don't like the insult comics.

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

It was RCCL but RCCL and Celebrity often share performers.

I'm sorry but I simply don't like the insult comics.

This was on Celebrity Eclipse in 2014. We met friends on Eclipse and we went with them to the show. They have never been on Royal. I had heard he then was performing on Royal. I agree about insulting comics. Apparently they aren't good enough to come up with funny stuff without insulting others. This jerk took it to a whole different level. I wonder how many people he insulted and they never went back. 

20 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

This jerk took it to a whole different level. I wonder how many people he insulted and they never went back. 

I agree that this is the easy way to get a cheap laugh.  it takes a real talent to make people laugh without the insults or the constant stream of f bombs for that matter.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Oasis, me; DS & DM, watching a "comedian". We were near the front, DM was tired and decided to leave. The comedian decided to heckle her. Firstly because she was leaving; Secondly because he overheard her say she was going to bed;  Thirdly because of her accent. He only stopped heckling her, even though she was not longer in the venue, when he realised people were not laughing and others had started to leave. 

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

We saw him one time and would never go back again. We have friends that liked him and I know he has a following. To us he was very rude and downright ugly to people. I have seen performers that are rude and funny, but he took it to a whole different level. 

Perry used to hold court nightly in Michael's Club on Eclipse before it became a suite only lounge.  Then moved over to Princess.  He had an extremely loyal female octogenarian following.  Played mostly stuff from the 30's and 40's.  We lasted 1/2 hour.  Never attended his headliner show in theater but he reportedly drew a crowd.

I've done all of the above as well, depends if the bad of the show outweighed the tiredness of getting up. As someone else said, I usually like it so hubby takes a nap and we stay, but we have done both, kids in tow too, walked out of a show. I left a theatre show once before that was bad enough, I was complaining loudly at the box office for my money back. My time is precious.

4 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Perry used to hold court nightly in Michael's Club on Eclipse before it became a suite only lounge.  Then moved over to Princess.  He had an extremely loyal female octogenarian following.  Played mostly stuff from the 30's and 40's.  We lasted 1/2 hour.  Never attended his headliner show in theater but he reportedly drew a crowd.

Some people would book cruises to follow him. 🙄😱🤮🤮🤮

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We have complained about the too-loud sound on many cruises and the standard answer is that the sound levels are set by "corporate".  If it's too loud, we vacate.  Let someone have our seat and ruin their hearing.

Whoever told you this was just trying to get rid of you.  Sound levels are controlled by the technical staff and vary depending on who is working during any given show. 

On 10/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, BillOh said:

Ok, fess up, you were in CATS with us, I know you were there till the intermission at least. 🙂  Thanks again for that photo.   

I was there for the entire show. 😄  It was the first time seeing Cats so I wanted to see it all. It wasn't bad, just it was the last time. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 3:12 PM, yogimax said:

Yes, you absolutely need to sit in the first 5 rows and on the right side as you walk in.  I had the pleasure of having one of the cats jump into the seat next to me and purr.

Great show!

Wow...I knew if I read these posts long enough I find someone who enjoyed that debacle.

4 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Wow...I knew if I read these posts long enough I find someone who enjoyed that debacle.

I haven't seen it, but I always heard it was a great show. Maybe it's the one on Royal that isn't so great?

52 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I haven't seen it, but I always heard it was a great show. Maybe it's the one on Royal that isn't so great?

I've heard the occasional person claim it's good...not sure the general consensus is very positive.  That being said, we attend every show at least once to give it a fair shake (this one did NOT require a second visit on our part lol).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

It all comes down to knowledge of the story line.  If you don't know what's going on, you will probably not like it.  That's why I say to read a summary of the plot before you attend.

If I'm not enjoying a show I find a discrete time to slip out.  If I think I'm going to draw excessive attention to myself I just keep waiting.

Cats! is fantastic!  It always amazes me how much it gets slagged off on this board.  It won a Tony for best musical.  It ran for 17 years on Broadway, making it the forth longest running Broadway show and it ran for 21 years in the West End putting it in 6th spot ever.  Clearly somebody likes it!  Apparently that group doesn't include the majority posters on this board.  

I haven't been on Oasis so I haven't seen it there but would gladly see it multiple times, every time they performed it.

John needs to post some of his brilliant pictures of the beautiful performers on this thread.

• Like 1