Walk out of shows or nap?

Some shows in the theater are boring, (ahem Cats on Oasis). Do you usually walk out of the show if it doesn't interest you? Or Do you take a nap and re-energize for the next activity on the daily planner? 

I always wonder if a performer thinks it is rude for a audience to walk out during the show or see them sleeping 😴? (In any type of venue-not specifically on a cruise ship theater)

I usually sit at the end of an aisle so I can make my escape!

Edited by Wannacruise81
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wannacruise81 said:

Some shows in the theater are boring, (ahem Cats on Oasis). Do you usually walk out of the show if it doesn't interest you? Or Do you take a nap and re-energize for the next activity on the daily planner? 

I always wonder if a performer thinks it is rude for a audience to walk out during the show or see them sleeping 😴? (In any type of venue-not specifically on a cruise ship theater)

Depends on the show.  We usually stay for the production shows because there are almost always a couple good performers.  We have walked out on a few so called "headliners" that were a total waste of time. If someone is gonna claim to be a star they should be able to deliver a stellar performance.  As for being rude,  making noise, disturbing people, talking on a cellphone, etc is rude.  Quietly getting up and walking out may be a momentary disturbance but not a serious one in our opinion.  Sleeping?  Only if you snore! LOL

• Like 3

I’ve done both.

Walked out a few times ( but this is over a span of 30 years of  cruising-so not often ) when the performance was not what we expected.  I wonder if it is better to stay away or give the performer a chance?

As for napping, when they have a late show after a late seating dinner, I would often doze. Generally it  has nothing to do with the performance, just that I am tired.   Hasn’t happened as often either because of MTD, and it seems many shows are scheduled for prior to late dinner seating. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I'm not sure the cast can see the audience because of the stage lights

I remember talking to a waiter in a restaurant in San Juan who was a former cruise ship entertainer, and he said that he hated finishing what he thought was an awesome performance and then look at the audience and see people sleeping through it. 😂

If I’m not enjoying a show, I’ll make an exit between songs.  I always sit strategically so that I can exit without disrupting others too much. 

• Like 3

As for the Theater shows, chances are the performers wouldn't be able to see you walk out... if you took a nap, they might be able to hear you snoring 😂 
The one time my DH and I really wanted to walk out, there was no way we could! 
We were at the comedy show on Harmony. Stuck in the front row!!! UGH The comedian was not at all funny! WTH do you do? 🤬

He kept interacting with all the people in the front row... We chuckled more so at the fact that he thought he was being funny.
We couldn't get out of there fast enough when it was over, but he stopped us and tried so hard to sell us his CD. 

Bottom-line... Don't ever sit in the front row of an act you don't know!! lmao 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wannacruise81 said:

We also walk out- Like you we sit on a aisle in the balcony.  Other things to do on a ship.  Enjoy your vacation.  Funny over the years we sit further back.  We used to love the front rows during shows-but as we go on more cruises and age, we have moved further and further back.  lol

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

if you sit in the front row for a comedian then you become part of the show.

Especially if you fall asleep!  I remember on the ship a Mr Perry Grant   He was a lounge performer and sang and played the piano.  If you walked out of his show he would go after you!  Was silly but funny. 

Not on Royal, but on my Spring cruise on NCL's Bliss last year I caught myself dozing during Jersey Boys (SOMEHOW!).  In fairness, I'd had a somewhat boring excursion (a 3-stop bus ride around Victoria, BC) walked out the breakwater and back and the show was the 10:00 show.

I saw it at 7:30 in October last year, made it through that one!!

25 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

if you sit in the front row for a comedian then you become part of the show.

I have no problem becoming part of the show. I've done it many time at The Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach. The difference is, the main acts were well-known comedians. 

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

Not on Royal, but on my Spring cruise on NCL's Bliss last year I caught myself dozing during Jersey Boys (SOMEHOW!).  In fairness, I'd had a somewhat boring excursion (a 3-stop bus ride around Victoria, BC) walked out the breakwater and back and the show was the 10:00 show.

I saw it at 7:30 in October last year, made it through that one!!

I loved Jersey Boys on the Bliss!

• Like 1

We will walk out if the sound system has been turned up to the point of sound distortion and it sounds as if the singers are screeching.  We will also walk out if the show pretty much bombs.  

Saw a hyped up Elton John imitator on a cruise a few years ago and the guy was so bad that people were leaving in droves by the third number.  Makes one wonder who hires some of the performers. 

There's no rule that you must attend the show anyway.  Often a wee dram while listening to one of the string trios or a solo guitarist is more enjoyable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I usually just fake a cough. 

So, basically you bring as much attention to yourself walking out as you possibly could?  Why not just get up and quietly walk out?  How is it of anyone else's concern as to why you're leaving?

You might as well grab at your butt and mumble "explosive diarrhea!!!"

We will usually persevere and try and remember the performers are giving it their all, tend to avoid jugglers and magicians.  If it's something we are not sure of then we sit at the back on the end so we can make a discreet exit if it is bad.

I have dozed a couple of times, it's usually been the first couple of nights when we are still jetlagged from flying across the atlantic, thankfully I'm not a snorer.

Aside from the comedy show and the Aqua show, we like to sit close to the front (well, my kids like the splash zone for the Aqua show), so I would never leave out of respect. But I really love the shows and even if bad, I can still get something out of it.  Even for Cats, I am planning on going and staying.  Often it's just my DD and I at the shows and my DS and DH meet us afterwards as they just have no interest.

I guess if someone is on the fence about if they'll like a show, it's best to sit on the aisle and further back to not disrupt others or the actors/performers.

Edited by LuCruise

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

If I’m not enjoying a show, I’ll make an exit between songs.  I always sit strategically so that I can exit without disrupting others too much. 

Ditto.  Strategic seating also helps with the need to use the restroom during the show. 😁

• Like 1