Canada’s ban regarding big cruise ships extended to the end of February.

cachouonacruise

Just in case it is not common knowledge, I sadly learned that about 7 hours ago, the Canadian Transport Minister extended the ban on big cruise ships to the end of February 2021.

Not necessarily surprising, taking into account the status of the pandemic worldwide, yet, very disappointing.

https://theprovince.com/travel/travel-canada/canadas-ban-on-big-cruise-ships-extended-until-february/wcm/03ff9537-aa98-46a1-b9eb-a9977c079561

Edited by cachouonacruise

26 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

Just in case it is not common knowledge, I sadly learned that about 7 hours ago, the Canadian Transport Minister extended the ban on big cruise ships to the end of February 2021.

Not necessarily surprising, taking into account the status of the pandemic worldwide, yet, very disappointing.

https://theprovince.com/travel/travel-canada/canadas-ban-on-big-cruise-ships-extended-until-february/wcm/03ff9537-aa98-46a1-b9eb-a9977c079561

Don’t know whether there is much practical impact from the extension.  Here is the official notification.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/10/minister-garneau-announces-extended-measures-for-cruise-ships-and-pleasure-craft-in-canada.html

1 minute ago, mom says said:

This should definitely come as no surprise, and given the time of year would have little to no impact. I think all it's doing is ensuring a continuation of policy that can easily be further extended next spring.

Agree.  Ships rarely sail in here before the beginning of April.

11 hours ago, mom says said:

This should definitely come as no surprise, and given the time of year would have little to no impact. I think all it's doing is ensuring a continuation of policy that can easily be further extended next spring.

Agree, no surprise.

Not meaningful.  What will matter is if by April -

There is a reasonably effective vaccine

A significant number of those - particularly in British Columbia are vaccinated

COVID case numbers in BC drop to almost nil.

Am sure our Canadian posters have an opinion as to if Canada/BC will only open if the above happens or something else.

Thoughts?

12 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Agree.  Ships rarely sail in here before the beginning of April.

12 hours ago, mom says said:

Yes there is very little impact, BUT, 2 years ago I took a cruise that left on Nov 2 from Montreal to Miami that stopped in Quebec City, Sydney & Halifax. So there are a few cruises in that area this time of year and could impact a few people. 

One of the reasons, I had for posting this information is that I found curious the following coïncidence and was wondering if it was a sign of things to come:

Based on what I read, the CDC’s initial intent in September, was to extend the No Sail order until the end of February.

Strangely the Canadian decision, matched the exact time frame.

However, the September decision of the CDC was overridden by the Vice-President. As a result, the No Sail Order was only extended until October 31.

Taking into consideration, the surge of new cases in the United States, I was wondering if the Canadian decision could be indicative of upcoming decisions in the 

U.S. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Thoughts?

I am an avid cruiser and I should have been on the Apex right now. Inset sad face here.

I live in BC, and we have been in Phase 3 of our reopening for a while. Though, like many areas, we have many more daily cases now after being quite successful. New measures and restrictions are being implemented.  (Groups of no more than 50 can gather, if the space allows for distancing. In our own homes we are to limit gatherings to household members and no more than 6 other people.)

The info below is a cut and paste from the BC provincial government website.  As far as I can tell, it has not changed since it was first posted earlier this year. While ports are under federal jurisdiction, I suspect provincial governments would have input to the decision to reopen. Given this info - IMO forget immunity and the treatments are not quite there yet, vaccination could be key. Given that, not sure I see BC ports opening before summer / fall 2021. Would love to be wrong on this.

What will be included in Phase 4?

In Phase 4, people can gather in large groups and international tourists will be welcomed to B.C. 

We can only move to this phase when national and international case numbers decline. This phase largely depends on how other jurisdictions respond to the pandemic and their impact.

Entering Phase 4 is conditional on at least one of three factors being met in B.C.

• Wide vaccination
  • Community immunity
  • Broad successful treatments

When at least one of the three factors are met, activities and venues that require large gatherings can operate:

• Conventions
  • Live audience professional sports
  • Concerts
  • International tourism

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not meaningful.  What will matter is if by April -

There is a reasonably effective vaccine

A significant number of those - particularly in British Columbia are vaccinated

COVID case numbers in BC drop to almost nil.

Am sure our Canadian posters have an opinion as to if Canada/BC will only open if the above happens or something else.

Thoughts?

While that would be lovely, I highly doubt it would happen in that short a time. Basically you are hoping that a vaccine would be declared ready by the manufacturer, approved by the appropriate government body, supplied, distributed,  and given to a majority of the population in 6 months. That's just not possible. Plus, once that does happen,  and the active case numbers have dropped,  visitors from countries that still have high case loads may not be welcomed. Perhaps exceptions might be made for those with vaccination certificates. But our country tends to be more conservative than the US when it comes to health risks.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's 100 passengers and crew combined. 😷

What about the Alaska Inside Passage ferry system?  I looked up a couple of them.  Max capacity is 500.  I wonder if these could be used this summer for limited reduced capacity touring of Alaska?  Not sure if they stop in Canadian ports like Vancouver.

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Does it have suites and a suite lounge?😀

I'll ask my Coast Guard friend, he's a retired captain and I think he did some time in that ship early in has career. I think the digs aren't bad compared to a RCN ship. 😉

On 10/31/2020 at 9:09 AM, Fouremco said:

Yes. The Louis S. St. Laurent is classed a "Heavy Arctic Icebreaker" and is the largest icebreaker in the CCG fleet.

Book me in.  DW said "Have a nice trip".  Remember those long ago cruises courtesy of my Uncle Sam.  Absolutely free.  3 "meals" a day.  A movie every evening.  Always someone with a guitar.  And a free laundry service.