The Daily for Saturday Nov 14, 2020

richwmn

Good morning all!

First, @HflorsI'm so glad you're feeling better today!  @richwmnI love it when you post photos of your beautiful kitty, I know she's grown on you over the years. 😉  @durangoscotsprayers for your niece's husband and for your sister.  @Overhead FredI've never seen bush Clematis, yours is beautiful!

Like so many others, I'm a Type 2 Diabetic (it runs rampant through my Mother's side of the family). So far nobody in my children's generation have been diagnosed with it, but they're all still fairly young yet. It seems to hit our family around age 50.  Thankfully because of diet changes and a great doctor, mine is well under control.  My A1C last time was an all-time low....will be having my next test next week and have my fingers crossed.  

Our numbers here have gotten very bad too 😞  If only we could jump forward in time to when this is just a bad but distant memory...we're all in this together, stay strong!

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

It is scary.  I live in a U.S. state whose Governor has enabled the virus.  

But being the eternal optimist, I know we will find a way to control this disease - in time! So when that happens - you buy a bottle of the Duckhorn & I will get some nice champagne & we will celebrate.

Even though the governors of Texas and Arizona implemented restricts and masks mandates, we have to contend with those who think it does not mean them.  That makes it really scary.  I agree we will eventually find a vaccine, cure or a way to control this, but  it will take time. 

Lenda

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Happy Diwali! A celebration day is most welcome about now! We have scallops, smoked salmon steaks, and sausage in the freezer, so let’s see how that goes.

Friday the 13th brought us over 2” of rain followed by an intense dry thunderstorm. It also brought official confirmation from my DS that a family Christmas, in any form, is off. We knew it would be, it’s just sad to make it real. To compensate, I will decorate lavishly and early this,year!

This is going to be a difficult year for the Holidays!  

My radio station of choice started playing Christmas tunes 24/7 last weekend. Evidently listeners had the opportunity to vote on the start date. Usually they start December 1st.  Not sure how long I can stand that!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My radio station of choice started playing Christmas tunes 24/7 last weekend. Evidently listeners had the opportunity to vote on the start date. Usually they start December 1st.  Not sure how long I can stand that!

When I was in Augusta earlier this week one of the stations had already started Christmas music as well. I changed stations. I don't know if any stations here are doing the same, at least the station I usually listen to has not.

• Like 6

So many new Covid cases to talk about, it's really sad.  That's why I was so relieved my DGD was negative with her test this week.  

I know of 4 cases in Missouri and 3 cases in Ohio in the last few weeks.  First in Missouri my niece tested positive, followed a few days later by her 13 year old son, then a few days after that her younger daughter, and then finally her husband.  The niece is a nurse in the student health department at a large University in Missouri.  Her job since about February was to test students for Covid when they presented with symptoms, and then to do contract tracing.  She is extremely clean and used the utmost caution while at work.  Still, she finally became ill and tested positive.  She immediately went into 14 day quarantine in her bedroom while her husband and kids stayed away in the remainder of the house.  Still they all came down with it like dominoes!  Niece is back at work now, her kids back to their "pod" where a tutor educates them and 2 other neighborhood children, and I guess the husband is able to go back to work now.  

Second group in Ohio are my daughter's ex-in-laws.  Two 70+ years old adults and their daughter.  That's why I was afraid my granddaughter was positive for Covid, because she had seen them the week before. 

This is why we are not traveling to anyone's home for Thanksgiving this year.  And Christmas may be just the two of us also.  Yep, going to do a little more decorating this year to help cheer us up!!

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So many new Covid cases to talk about, it's really sad.  That's why I was so relieved my DGD was negative with her test this week.  

I know of 4 cases in Missouri and 3 cases in Ohio in the last few weeks.  First in Missouri my niece tested positive, followed a few days later by her 13 year old son, then a few days after that her younger daughter, and then finally her husband.  The niece is a nurse in the student health department at a large University in Missouri.  Her job since about February was to test students for Covid when they presented with symptoms, and then to do contract tracing.  She is extremely clean and used the utmost caution while at work.  Still, she finally became ill and tested positive.  She immediately went into 14 day quarantine in her bedroom while her husband and kids stayed away in the remainder of the house.  Still they all came down with it like dominoes!  Niece is back at work now, her kids back to their "pod" where a tutor educates them and 2 other neighborhood children, and I guess the husband is able to go back to work now.  

Second group in Ohio are my daughter's ex-in-laws.  Two 70+ years old adults and their daughter.  That's why I was afraid my granddaughter was positive for Covid, because she had seen them the week before. 

This is why we are not traveling to anyone's home for Thanksgiving this year.  And Christmas may be just the two of us also.  Yep, going to do a little more decorating this year to help cheer us up!!

It is tough to hear that someone tests positive even when he or she has been very careful. Which makes the people who believe it is all just a hoax so difficult to deal with.  

• Like 5

Just now, cat shepard said:

It is tough to hear that someone tests positive even when he or she has been very careful. Which makes the people who believe it is all just a hoax so difficult to deal with.  

And it's exactly why we need the vaccine as soon as possible for our doctors, nurses, caregivers since they are around the virus so much more than the rest of us.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Yet another reason to be happy to see the end of 2020!

When I decorate early, I mean the beginning of December instead of mid month.

• Like 5

Here in Ohio we had 7715 new cases today, down from 8101 yesterday.   We are totally out of control.  We have an active group of "freedom fighters" who protest mask mandates and who sued when businesses were shut down.  They showed up at the statehouse and tried to over run it like they did in Michigan.  Funny, they don't protest the requirement to wear pants in public.  I have neighbors up the street who have been having large parties at regular intervals.  I just don't understand that thinking.

I worry about my brother who is a respiratory therapist.   He gets all the COVID patients as he is the one who does their breathing treatments and oversees the ones on the vent.  

It will be just me here for Thanksgiving and probably Christmas.  Yes, I will put up the tree and decorate for my own sake.   But, as the Facebook meme says, not being with loved ones this year may make it possible to be with them next year and in the years to come.   

In the meantime, I have been enjoying the wonderful weather we have had recently.   Here are pics from my most recent hike in Towner's Woods, between Kent and Ravenna Ohio.  

2694D73C-3BCA-4F85-9F4D-BE0C2E30E60F.JPG

87F240AF-E813-4A80-A67C-06985377EB23.JPG

03578ADD-838A-43A1-8C12-623B1BED32AB.JPG

6050B922-85AF-4B0F-B5E2-BE6CD65B2FA4.JPG

• Like 15

50 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Yikes.  Well we did get our outside lights up while it was warmer a couple of days ago, they don’t go on until December 1st.  And they go off at the end of Epiphany. To me, December 1st is the start of the season.  Anything earlier is too much.  JMO.

• Like 5

I have always used the first Sunday in advent as the time to start decorating for Christmas. This year that will be nov 29 but because I will be heavy into my Christmas cookie baking I will probably wait until the next week, too, maybe dec 6. And yes, it all comes down at epiphany. 

• Like 7

Preview of the cookies that will be coming out of my kitchen in the next four weeks. I wish I could share them with all of you, not just digitally. Everybody in the family gets to pick a recipe for me to make but the hands down favourite are the Lebkuchen (German spice cookie). They are the ones down the centre of the tray with the glaze and the almond on top. 

3B093DB5-D37B-41E4-9ECB-F9204082812A.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Yet another reason to be happy to see the end of 2020!

When I decorate early, I mean the beginning of December instead of mid month.

I might do my interior decorating the weekend after Thanksgiving, since I head to the Keys the week after. Not sure when I will put up the exterior decorations, since the outside of my house will be painted the week I am away. As long as we do not have another tropical storm that week. 

I really hope I did not just jinx myself.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I worry about my brother who is a respiratory therapist.   He gets all the COVID patients as he is the one who does their breathing treatments and oversees the ones on the vent.  

It will be just me here for Thanksgiving and probably Christmas.  Yes, I will put up the tree and decorate for my own sake.   But, as the Facebook meme says, not being with loved ones this year may make it possible to be with them next year and in the years to come.   

Debbie, I will no longer feel sorry for myself, just because my Holiday will be a bit odd. I will keep your brother in my prayers.

Thank you for sharing your great pictures with us!

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yikes.  Well we did get our outside lights up while it was warmer a couple of days ago, they don’t go on until December 1st.  And they go off at the end of Epiphany. To me, December 1st is the start of the season.  Anything earlier is too much.  JMO.

Amen! I have a timer app on my phone for my indoor lights that allows me to change the on/off times, to make it appear I am home. But I probably will wait to turn on my Christmas lights when I get back from the Keys.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, superoma said:

Preview of the cookies that will be coming out of my kitchen in the next four weeks. I wish I could share them with all of you, not just digitally. Everybody in the family gets to pick a recipe for me to make but the hands down favourite are the Lebkuchen (German spice cookie). They are the ones down the centre of the tray with the glaze and the almond on top. 

I am available for adoption.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Oh oh oh!  Of course my eyes go right to the chocolate -- what are the ones in the lower left corner? Beautiful!

• Like 4

Just back from a ride 16 miles out and back, into one of the fire areas. I turned back at a junction where several trails come together. From there, everywhere you looked was burned. The road up had been “groomed”, likely to get the heavy fire fighting equipment up to where it was needed. There were lots of oaks and Toyans bulldozed.😥

288A7ABF-F04E-4163-8366-C1183E24DF49.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, superoma said:

They look amazing!   Would love the recipe for the German cookies!   

I really appreciate the honest sharing here re Christmas.  I am trying to convince everyone it will just be different.  Our best Christmas ever was when our first granddaughter was born Christmas Eve,  we had leftover spaghetti for dinner that year😍

sending everyone virtual hugs, cookies, wine and champagne wishes!  

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, bennybear said:

They look amazing!   Would love the recipe for the German cookies!   

I really appreciate the honest sharing here re Christmas.  I am trying to convince everyone it will just be different.  Our best Christmas ever was when our first granddaughter was born Christmas Eve,  we had leftover spaghetti for dinner that year😍

sending everyone virtual hugs, cookies, wine and champagne wishes!  

You have mail 🙂. On the chilies seeds.

• Like 1