New vaccine

hollyjess

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I wondered if sour grapes may be involved. It will be interesting to see what happens with EU approval, or non approval. In reality they are free to do as they please, as are the UK. 

I'm glad you said it zap, it was the first thing that came to my mind too. What really worries me though, is that a vaccine to combat a deadly worldwide virus is being used as a political weapon to bully and threaten other nations. 

Avril

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

The old phrase 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' comes to mind. When I get the call I will be straight there. Sitting in the chair with my sleeve rolled up, I may ask the nurse what brand She is about to stick in my arm, but don't really mind. As always I will leave it to the experts. The are paid by us to make decisions so I will let them get on with it. Of course, if the nurse answered ' detol', l may have second thoughts, but perhaps not if the nurse is a 6'6" hairy squadie.🤣

I mostly agree but with this they go out of their way to tell you, I just think my two doses should be the same so I was going to ask but I’d hardly sat down and she’d told me and it’s on the little card they give you.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I was surprised she said we would be in together, but it sounded reasonable after she'd explained. No matter, we'll find out when we get there. The important thing is to have our jabs, we don't need to be holding hands😉

Avril

It’s that romantic sax again!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm glad you said it zap, it was the first thing that came to my mind too. What really worries me though, is that a vaccine to combat a deadly worldwide virus is being used as a political weapon to bully and threaten other nations. 

Avril

Like most public arguments, they all need to take a step back and talk about it privately. German public figures threatening trade wars with the UK because they are having a spat with a public company which is largely owned by USA investment funds will not save many lives.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have no direct knowledge of vaccines, but it does concern me that the German view of the AZ vaccine is that It’s unsuitable for the over 65s because there’s insufficient evidence of its efficacy.

The UK of course claims otherwise, but since the primary purpose of the present programme is to stop the NHS from completely collapsing, rather than protecting each individual vaccinated, arguably it doesn’t matter in the overall scheme of things.

It does, though, matter to the individuals being vaccinated, and I’d like to see a lot more clarity on this, particularly as our Pfizer supplies from Belgium now look to be at risk.

But Harry if it stops the NHS from being overwhelmed by hospital admissions, then it will also have protected those that were vaccinated, wont it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, davecttr said:

Just reported initial stage 3 trials of Novavax are showing good results. Apparently we have ordered 60 million doses and it will be manufactured here. Reports indicate that supplies should be available from the middle of the year. However a report in the NY times says it is a lot less effective against the South African variant at about 50%

Is this the one that is a collaboration with the Fujifilm factory?

I hope they take into consideration the potential side effects of negative outlook and photographic memory....

Sorry.

But just think, only a year ago I was one of those saying, "vaccine? hmm - maybe, but unlikely".

And now look ... what wonderful work from scientists around the world. And the intention is that they can build on this for future vaccines as well,

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I hope they take into consideration the potential side effects of negative outlook and photographic memory....

Sorry.

But just think, only a year ago I was one of those saying, "vaccine? hmm - maybe, but unlikely".

And now look ... what wonderful work from scientists around the world. And the intention is that they can build on this for future vaccines as well,

Yes it is.

The news has put my part of the world into a little spotlight

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/timescale-tests-teesside-everything-know-19724670

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Sorry.

There is a nanocamera in each dose which films what you eat and drink so Amazon can send you links to their products

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve just been for my daily walk, unfortunately cut short by rain.

However, I made sure that I walked by the health centre, and there is activity there today. 

There was a queue of people outside, being marshalled by someone with a clipboard, so it looks like they got the vaccine supplies delivered, as mentioned by you the other day.

Everybody in the queue looked... er.... fairly advanced in years. Over 80s and late 70s, I should think. 

I saw that there is now a mass vaccination centre in Folkestone. On one of the news reports it said they’d call people to Folkestone who lived within a 45 minute drive. When I checked on the computer, I was a 58 minute drive from Folkestone. There is a need for a mass vaccination centre in our part of Kent. Even my husband, who is the most patient person in the world, thinks it’s going slowly around here.

if you have to have your 70th birthday, I think now is the time to have it! My husband will be 70 in October, so he’ll be in the 65-69 group. Unless something drastic happens, it’ll be well into March until he gets the call. As for me, at the ‘young’ age of 60, I think it’ll be into April for me, at the earliest. 

I walked past there this morning and there were less than 20 people in the queue, some did not look elderly at all. A lady emerged so I asked her how it went. It turned out the younger ones in the queue including her were in the clinically extremely vulnerable group, she had a lung condition. So they are jabbing groups 3 and 4 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

There is a nanocamera in each dose which films what you eat and drink so Amazon can send you links to their products

🤣🤣🤣Oh please don't give the anti-vaxxers anymore useful information Phil, their drivel cup is overflowing as it is🤣

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

No, 12 miles as the crow flies and as I don't have access to a car using public transport would take longer than walking to Woodlands Road, plus all those chances of catching it off someone on the way. I will be 70 in early March so they will have to call me then, or even earlier.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Aaargh, please don't, people will believe you 

edit  - too slow

Edited by davecttr

22 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I walked past there this morning and there were less than 20 people in the queue, some did not look elderly at all. A lady emerged so I asked her how it went. It turned out the younger ones in the queue including her were in the clinically extremely vulnerable group, she had a lung condition. So they are jabbing groups 3 and 4 

That’s encouraging, if they are on groups 3-4

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Only that most importantly, they apparently work😉

Avril

They will tell you which one  and it is on the card they give you along with its batch number, and although it was not mentioned I assume the 2nd jab will be the same variety.

7 minutes ago, Adammara said:

These sort of people do not care about anyone, the sort of people who steal charity collection

boxes off shop counters . It does make you wonder .

• Like 2