New vaccine

hollyjess

From a personal viewpoint, I’d like to see the government taking seriously the fact that there are somewhere around 750,000 people with suppressed immune systems still having to isolate from their families and everyone else because the vaccines may not have had any effect.

That’s a lot of people, but it’s being pushed under the carpet.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

From a personal viewpoint, I’d like to see the government taking seriously the fact that there are somewhere around 750,000 people with suppressed immune systems still having to isolate from their families and everyone else because the vaccines may not have had any effect.

I feel your pain Harry I too haven't seen family either and am waiting for them all to get

vaccinated , not for the lack of trying on their part. Once they are done we will feel safer

visiting them and in the nice weather see them in their gardens .

I don't  think any Government  can be accused of ignoring  immune research as only a few 

weeks back I think it was Jenny Harris who said they were looking into what, if anything 

could be done for the immune suppressed people. Lets hope the researches keep pushing 

for the right answers and in the meantime we all get our vaccines as in the long term that

also makes everyone safer . You take care and keep safe .

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's why it's imperative for everyone that can have the vaccine does. We have to help those, such as yourself, that may not be protected even after being vaccinated. It's time to stop thinking of ourselves, and began to think of the country as a whole. If not, we will still be in this same situation next year. Frank and myself would take any vaccination necessary to try and bring this terrible virus under control.

Avril

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's why it's imperative for everyone that can have the vaccine does. We have to help those, such as yourself, that may not be protected even after being vaccinated. It's time to stop thinking of ourselves, and began to think of the country as a whole. If not, we will still be in this same situation next year. Frank and myself would take any vaccination necessary to try and bring this terrible virus under control.

Avril

Absolutely agree Avril.....

Sadly these days for many people it is all me, me, me and never mind how their actions (or non action) affects others.

Have a great day everyone and enjoy the wonderful sunshine and warmer temperatures.

Gill x

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I Agree with you Avril.

If being vaccinated stops people going through what I did with Covid19 or even worse I will take any approved vaccine and wish everyone would think the same way and get vaccinated.

I feel really sorry for Harry for his predicament and Kalos too.

Graham 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I understand your concerns but what exactly do you want the government to do?

Frankly I believe the government has done a good job during this pandemic, yes mistakes have been made but that is what they are mistakes, everyone makes them. Hindsight is wonderful and of course knowing what we know now there are some things that should have been done differently.

Sorry rant over.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Well said Avril - and so true. I am so frustrated with the hordes of people who just can't be bothered, or who are actively anti, who don't bother turning up for appointments, and to whom concern for others is an alien concept. Selfish selfish selfish. I have worse words for them which are not permitted. I wouldn't wish Covid on anyone but sometimes I'm tempted.  Jane.x

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Well said Avril - and so true. I am so frustrated with the hordes of people who just can't be bothered, or who are actively anti, who don't bother turning up for appointments, and to whom concern for others is an alien concept. Selfish selfish selfish. I have worse words for them which are not permitted. I wouldn't wish Covid on anyone but sometimes I'm tempted.  Jane.x

I know exactly how you feel Jane.  I really wish that people would realise how dangerous this awful virus is and just get vaccinated.  I think that some of them are thinking that if everyone else is vaccinated no-one will pass the virus on to them.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I know exactly how you feel Jane.  I really wish that people would realise how dangerous this awful virus is and just get vaccinated.

They won't though Josy. They are sitting so high on that horse of theirs, pontificating about the whole virus being exaggerated, that they just won't listen or back down. Reading Harry's posts has really moved me today. You and I, and a few others on here, know from first-hand experience the frustration felt when vaccines are wasted too. Sorry Josy, I'm ranting! Have a lovely weekend and take good care. Jane.xxx

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

know exactly how you feel Jane.  I really wish that people would realise how dangerous this awful virus is and just get vaccinated.  I think that some of them are thinking that if everyone else is vaccinated no-one will pass the virus on to them.

Edited 3 minutes ago by Josy1953

Very foolish thinking. I thought everyone now understood that even though vaccinated you can still catch the virus and therefore pass it on to the unvaccinated. 

Avril

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

I feel your pain Harry I too haven't seen family either and am waiting for them all to get

vaccinated , not for the lack of trying on their part. Once they are done we will feel safer

visiting them and in the nice weather see them in their gardens .

I didn't realise the vaccine hadn't worked for you kalos. I'm obviously assuming ours have,  a worrying thought nontheless. We are still being careful though, as the cases here are still not that good.

Avril

• Like 1

Being vaccinated doesn't  stop you catching covid,  but it does reduce the odds significantly.  It also reduces transmission if you get it as viral load is lower

It doesn't  stop you being ill but reduces severity even more significantly  .  Unfortunately if you  are vulnerable,  then even this can be dangerous . I think there is a general misunderstanding that the protection of 2 doses is equally high for everyone.  A vaccinated health 40 year old will be almost invulnerable to present covid. A vaccinated  frail 90 year , or someone with  immune  suppression will remain relatively vunerable, but much less so

The only thing the government can do is press on with vaccination as fast as it can. Once everyone has their 2 doses, then the reduction in transmission will put us back on track for very low cases but not zero.  When incidence is very low then it makes it safer for vunerable. It will not ever be zero risk for anyone. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 6

What other than pressing on with vaccination of all adults to reduce transmission  as fast as it can can the government do. 

I presume they , ie science is looking for different vaccines and better treatments to help everyone. 

Is there anything else that can be done.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The vaccines are very effective for most people, Avril, but you're wise to take sensible precautions because no vaccines are ever 100% effective.

Some people - the figure is somewhere between 500,000 and a million - have compromised immune systems because of the medications they have to use.  Those people have no idea whether the vaccines have any effect at all, and the precautions continue. No shops, no public spaces, no hugging family members, no visitors (including family) in the house, and no going inside anybody else's house.

And in our case almost certainly not being able to go to our son's wedding later this year.

Not looking for sympathy - it is what it is - but what I am looking for, and I'll be campaigning on this elsewhere, is some action from the government to address the situation.  At the moment, there's nothing but words and inaction.  There will be deaths as a direct result of this, and the government will be held responsible. From a pragmatic point of view they probably take the view that the number of deaths will be small enough to hide, so not worth bothering about.

Bu they took that line when they were discharging covid-positive patients to care homes without testing, and look where that took them.........

There are trials taking place for alternative treatments, so I don't think it's fair to say that nothing is being done. There's a at least one trial taking place in the UK in immunosuppressed people, using an antibody treatment. That's due to report later on this year. I know its frustrating but I don't think there's any magic solution. My mum has had a kidney transplant so I know how difficult it is. She has started going out and about now and we've seen my parents a few times. They do live in Cornwall though, which obviously helps with the prevalence of the virus being so low there. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I didn't realise the vaccine hadn't worked for you kalos. I'm obviously assuming ours have,  a worrying thought nontheless. We are still being careful though, as the cases here are still not that good.

Avril

I'm hoping it has worked Avril  I was referring to my heart condition and was advised to take 

very good care and not chances when it came to the virus . Once our kids are vaccinated we 

will feel safer amongst them .No one is ever safe but if we all play our part and get vaccinated 

then we lower our risk for everyone including those with a lower immune system .

There is no getting away from that we are all in this together .:classic_smile:

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

What other than pressing on with vaccination of all adults to reduce transmission  as fast as it can can the government do. 

I presume they , ie science is looking for different vaccines and better treatments to help everyone. 

Is there anything else that can be done.

Yes. Two very simple and relatively inexpensive things just for starters:

1 The availability of antibody tests for those affected who would like one.

2 A government funded research project to find a solution.

Neither has been done.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

There are trials taking place for alternative treatments, so I don't think it's fair to say that nothing is being done. There's a at least one trial taking place in the UK in immunosuppressed people, using an antibody treatment. That's due to report later on this year. I know its frustrating but I don't think there's any magic solution. My mum has had a kidney transplant so I know how difficult it is. She has started going out and about now and we've seen my parents a few times. They do live in Cornwall though, which obviously helps with the prevalence of the virus being so low there. 

I’m aware of the trials, but they’re very haphazard, little coordination, and there’s no government input or funding.

A polite notice to all .. Sharon had put only the other day that this thread

is not to be used for politics   If we are to keep it running .

If it continues then you are giving Cruise Critics  all they need to close it down .

I'm just saying :classic_unsure:

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kalos said:

If it continues then you are giving Cruise Critics  all they need to close it down .

I'm just saying :classic_unsure:

I don't think politics have come into it, Kalos.  No mention that I can see of political parties or individuals even. This is simply a discussion of the vaccine programme and its impact on different groups of people.

Any discussion of these issues is inevitably going to involve the NHS, the efficacy of vaccines, the reaction of different groups of people and as it's a government programme the actions of the government. That can't be helped - but it isn't in any way political to discuss how such a crucial programme is going.  🙂

Harry

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I'm just saying 

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I don't think politics have come into it, Kalos.  No mention that I can see of political parties or individuals even. This is simply a discussion of the vaccine programme and its impact on different groups of people.

Any discussion of these issues is inevitably going to involve the NHS, the efficacy of vaccines, the reaction of different groups of people and as it's a government programme the actions of the government. That can't be helped - but it isn't in any way political to discuss how such a crucial programme is going.  🙂

Harry

Well I agree with kalos. If you want start a new thread and see where that goes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1