Where will Princess Get Staff from?

mellon1

Just curious...where will Princess get staff from.  Will all those countries have the same vaccine we have and when we have it?  Or, will Princess buy the vaccine and vaccinate their people?

I was on Princess in Feb of 2020 and a Chinese gal said that when she got home she was getting a vaccine and her family all had it already, as well as a Philapino.  I found that hard to believe.  What's the deal there?

China filed for their covid-19 vaccine approval on November 25th. The only way they could get the vaccine end of February/March is if they were in the test group.

Princess will hire crew from where they always hire crew. Staffing will be difficult in 2021. Expect when the vaccine is widely available Princess will vaccinate employees. We always received flu vaccine at work as well as others like HepB, HepA, Pneumonia. 

• Like 1

I support and applaud workplace vaccinations.

I would expect all shoreside and onboard crew, staff, employees and contractors to be vaccinated.

Most of these individuals are foreign nationals ... working for a Panamanian corporatioon.

I question how Carnival Corp, a nonessential leisure company, should source these vaccines.

Would it be appropriate for Carnival Corp to be allocated vaccines procured and paid for by the U.S. Government, a.k.a. the American taxpayer?

As Carnival does not pay U.S. taxes, should they negotiate and purchase vaccines directly from the pharmacuetical companies?

Just wondering. 

I don't think that the Pfizer vaccine was paid for by the US government. Now, I know that the US purchased a ship load of vaccine doses. 

I think the Corporation might also say that while they don't pay Federal Income Tax(As US ships don't pay taxes in foreign countries, by mutual agreement), they pay millions in port taxes and fees. 

Just my thoughts.

8 hours ago, skynight said:

China filed for their covid-19 vaccine approval on November 25th. The only way they could get the vaccine end of February/March is if they were in the test group.

China started distributing and using the vaccine weeks ago without waiting for Phase 3 trials to be completed. They did this both internal to China and in several other countries.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/china-has-been-vaccinating-its-population-for-weeks-what-we-know

• Like 1

Frankly, while I expect that now cruise lines will expect/require passengers to be vaccinated, the crew likely will not for some time.  However, with their quarantine before joining, and likely restricted/no shore leave (since they won't be vaccinated, most countries won't allow them ashore), along with a fully vaccinated passenger load, there will be less probability of infection.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Frankly, while I expect that now cruise lines will expect/require passengers to be vaccinated, the crew likely will not for some time.  However, with their quarantine before joining, and likely restricted/no shore leave (since they won't be vaccinated, most countries won't allow them ashore), along with a fully vaccinated passenger load, there will be less probability of infection.

Less probabilility, yes, but remember a vaccinated passenger may still bring the virus on board to the unvaccinated crew, and/or bring it ashore on a tour.

From a Johns Hopkins Nov 16 article:

" In other words, a COVID-19 vaccine may benefit the individual who gets vaccinated, but the virus may still invade the body and it’s possible – if not likely – that a vaccinated person can still spread the virus to others. This is a critical distinction that has received little attention. "

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/blog/the-messenger-rna-vaccines-and-masks

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

At least according to this cruise critic article, NCL and the other lines under their corporate umbrella will require crew to get the vaccine and are considering requiring passengers to also get the vaccine.

Cruise Executives: Vaccines Are Game Changers For Industry (cruisecritic.com)

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

At least according to this cruise critic article, NCL and the other lines under their corporate umbrella will require crew to get the vaccine and are considering requiring passengers to also get the vaccine.

Cruise Executives: Vaccines Are Game Changers For Industry (cruisecritic.com)

If they wait for that, they won't be cruising until Fall.  I don't see the cruise lines or their crew as being near the top of the priority list for vaccine.

20 minutes ago, TwoBadKnees said:

Less probabilility, yes, but remember a vaccinated passenger may still bring the virus on board to the unvaccinated crew, and/or bring it ashore on a tour.

From a Johns Hopkins Nov 16 article:

" In other words, a COVID-19 vaccine may benefit the individual who gets vaccinated, but the virus may still invade the body and it’s possible – if not likely – that a vaccinated person can still spread the virus to others. This is a critical distinction that has received little attention. "

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/blog/the-messenger-rna-vaccines-and-masks

This has not been shown one way or the other.  Some past vaccines allowed transmission from a vaccinated person, some don't.  Pfizer did not conduct contact tracing and transmission study as part of the efficacy trials, so there is no data one way or the other.

Also, even with vaccinated passengers, I'm pretty sure crew will still be required to wear masks at all times, until the vaccine reaches the crew.

I think everyone will have more data regarding vaccination vs. transmission within a few months (hoepfully).

In the US (and several other counties) have only one vaccine emergency approval so far. This will likely change to two vaccines shortly but, both Pfizer and Moderna did not study asymptomatic or transmission. As far as I have read, the data they submitted only looked at those who displayed symptoms.

The good news as I understood was Moderna saved all the swab samples so they can look back at these concerns/questions. In addition.

In a few months there will be much more data and also other vaccine manufactures done with their phase 3 studies.

Speaking of that, has anyone heard any more about the 3rd vaccine from AstraZeneca/Oxford? Last I heard they came out and said 70% efficacy from Phase 3 results and I haven't heard anything more about them applying for emergency use. Kind of difficult to take the 70% efficacy vaccine when there are two others at 95% but, we do have to vaccinate the whole world and we need more than a couple of manufacturers.

Thanks to all who responded.  Was a concern that they were getting vaccinated in China in February 2020 when we were just finding out about the virus.

We are scheduled in 2022 in Jan/Feb and hope all will be safe as I am sure many more are.  We are planning on driving and not flying...as much as we hate the thought of a 2 day drive!

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me if some countries considered cruise crew as essential to their economy. Moving them up in the pecking order for vaccines.

If they left their country without being vaccinated, the cruise line, or some generous country looking for cruise ship business,  may offer to pay the bill for them to get vaccinated.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If they wait for that, they won't be cruising until Fall.  I don't see the cruise lines or their crew as being near the top of the priority list for vaccine.

Agreed. Also many Countries will not allow anyone in at present without quarantining. Our Country will not allow any non essential foreign visitors at all at this time. So, for example if Princess deployed a ship down here, they would not be able to crew it as things stand presently. Most of the crew come from Countries that are not in the first places getting the vaccine.

It will be a little while yet.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I just reported what was said by one cruise corporation president. I guess we will see how this plays out.

35 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I understand that, I'm just saying that Del Rio may be shooting from the hip once again.

You are probably right but he has said it at least 3 times that I have heard.  First at a stockholders update than again on the same day on CNBC do not remember the 3rd.

Have no idea where he thinks he is going to get a vaccine and I would bet the CDC would want the vaccine approved by them for any US sailings.

1 hour ago, franktown said:

You are probably right but he has said it at least 3 times that I have heard.  First at a stockholders update than again on the same day on CNBC do not remember the 3rd.

Have no idea where he thinks he is going to get a vaccine and I would bet the CDC would want the vaccine approved by them for any US sailings.

In the future vaccinated foreign visitors to the USA will not have to be vaccinated with USA approved vaccines. I would not think cruise ship crew would need USA approved vaccines either.

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

Agreed. Also many Countries will not allow anyone in at present without quarantining. Our Country will not allow any non essential foreign visitors at all at this time. So, for example if Princess deployed a ship down here, they would not be able to crew it as things stand presently. Most of the crew come from Countries that are not in the first places getting the vaccine.

It will be a little while yet.

Even if the crew never came ashore?

Certainly normal shipping is going on now (container ships, oil tankers, etc.), isn't it? And they will not have Australian crews.

5 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I think everyone will have more data regarding vaccination vs. transmission within a few months (hoepfully).

In the US (and several other counties) have only one vaccine emergency approval so far. This will likely change to two vaccines shortly but, both Pfizer and Moderna did not study asymptomatic or transmission. As far as I have read, the data they submitted only looked at those who displayed symptoms.

The good news as I understood was Moderna saved all the swab samples so they can look back at these concerns/questions. In addition.

In a few months there will be much more data and also other vaccine manufactures done with their phase 3 studies.

Speaking of that, has anyone heard any more about the 3rd vaccine from AstraZeneca/Oxford? Last I heard they came out and said 70% efficacy from Phase 3 results and I haven't heard anything more about them applying for emergency use. Kind of difficult to take the 70% efficacy vaccine when there are two others at 95% but, we do have to vaccinate the whole world and we need more than a couple of manufacturers.

I read somewhere that one of the Australian vaccine trials have been suspended.  This was because some of those who received it were testing Positive for HIV. Portions of the HIV virus was used in the development of the COVID vaccine.

2 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I read somewhere that one of the Australian vaccine trials have been suspended.  This was because some of those who received it were testing Positive for HIV. Portions of the HIV virus was used in the development of the COVID vaccine.

Wow... that sounds strange. Do you know the manufacturers name?

• Like 1