Holland America Prescribed Protocols for Shore Excursions

In the early months of resumed cruising, there will likely be a number of cities and countries that will be unwilling to allow cruise ship passengers to wander their streets freely. There have been too many ‘floating petri dishes’ articles spreading the impression that the pandemic is somehow linked to cruise ships. There will be places where the ships will be lucky to negotiate permission to come ashore at all. Some may insist on a guarantee that their citizens will never be in danger of encountering passengers at close quarters. The options may be a forty person bus tour gangway to gangway or the view from the Lido. 
On the 2020 GWV we had an awesome time in Tonga, but when we docked our cabin had a close up view of the guards in hazmat suits making sure no one left the ship before their health officers had combed through the ships paperwork to ensure there was no chance of contagion on board.

Personally, I wouldn’t book a 2021 cruise at all if going ashore freely was a make or break condition for me. (But you should see our calendar for 2022!😁)

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

In the early months of resumed cruising, there will likely be a number of cities and countries that will be unwilling to allow cruise ship passengers to wander their streets freely. There have been too many ‘floating petri dishes’ articles spreading the impression that the pandemic is somehow linked to cruise ships.

I don’t disagree with you at all on this.  I guess it depends on how you define the “early” months of resumed cruising.

Our cruise is not until November 2021.  I think by that time that there will be a requirement for proof of vaccination to cruise and disembark the ship.

Assuming that is the case, I think (and hope) that cruise ship passengers will be welcome to explore and enjoy the port whether it be on their own, private tour or ship’s tour.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Himself said:

So when docked in Juneau I cannot go over to the Mount Roberts Tramway or over to a store, is this correct?

Everyone is hypothesizing right now based on what happened on other cruises that were operating.

If you are restricted to HAL shore excursions, then you won’t be able to go over to the tramway or a store.

Everyone’s crystal ball is a bit fuzzy right now so only time and HAL can tell.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But we are almost passionate in our dislike of cruise line excursions and, in most cases, would give up cruising before we agreed to that kind of restriction.

Hank

I share your feeling as well. HAL recently sent me a survey asking about when I might consider cruising again and what factors would most strongly impact my decision. This was one of the two I felt most strongly about (and indicated on the survey).

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I think we all forget that tour operators may be limited and regulated too.  In some destinations the only options for tours are those offered by the cruise lines.  It is all wait and see

While this is true, such destinations are relatively scarce except for special voyages. 

What I think we should be objecting to is not so much the cruise lines offering only their tours when cruising restarts as their statement that they will not let us know until AFTER final payment. That is not right.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I share your feeling as well. HAL recently sent me a survey asking about when I might consider cruising again and what factors would most strongly impact my decision. This was one of the two I felt most strongly about (and indicated on the survey).

While this is true, such destinations are relatively scarce except for special voyages. 

What I think we should be objecting to is not so much the cruise lines offering only their tours when cruising restarts as their statement that they will not let us know until AFTER final payment. That is not right.

I am assuming the most restrictive policies in making my travel plans.  It seems the prudent perspective, then it is, as always, personal choice 

59 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree which is why I think it’s appropriate to modify penalty periods.  I have  no problem making the final payment with the uncertainty as long as I can still cancel without penalty right up to when the rules for the cruise are firmed up. 

• Like 4

We would not consider booking a cruise without a clear understanding of what the onboard environment will be, what restrictions will be imposed on shore days, and what ports will actually be open to visitors.  If it is going to be masks, social distancing, and only cruise line shore excursions permitted  we will not consider a cruise.

Not interested in buying a pig in a poke.  We feel the same about all other travel options.  Covid has taken many turns over the past nine months. We have no doubt that there will be more surprises to come.  

There were people on this board insisting that they would be cruising last April/May, still  others were absolutely certain that Jan/Feb would find them on a cruise ship.  Did not happen.  I believe that the desire to cruise has overtaken realism in some instances. Others think booking Alaska or Med for the summer is a safe bet. 

We have yet to see any positive signs that this is even in the cards other than cruise line musings about potential start up dates in order to generate bookings.  Just read this AM that the US (operation Warpspeed) was forceasting 20M people would be vaccinated by the end of this year.  As of this date, apparently 9,5M doses have been distributed, 1,9M people have been vaccinated.  There is a message in those stats.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

I would like to express my minority opinion.

I am 5* so you know that I have been on many cruises.

I do like tours while in port and I Much prefer the ship excursions over inpedendent tours; even more so as HAL has started the smaller, limited # of guest, tours.

One noteable exception: Patricks Tour in Bora Bora, far and away the best tour I have ever been on.

I want to know what the final protocols and practices are how they will be enforced as I feel my safety, if not my life, will depend on those restrictions. And this applies to both ship excursions and independent tours. After all those of you who prefer independent tours  or just walking around the ports will be coming back onboard and continuing on with me to the next destination.

I have no concerns regarding cancellation policy.

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 8

58 minutes ago, iancal said:

We would not consider booking a cruise without a clear understanding of what the onboard environment will be, what restrictions will be imposed on shore days, and what ports will actually be open to visitors.  If it is going to be masks, social distancing, and only cruise line shore excursions permitted  we will not consider a cruise.

Not interested in buying a pig in a poke.  We feel the same about all other travel options.  Covid has taken many turns over the past nine months. We have no doubt that there will be more surprises to come.  

You summed this up nicely.  I have no intention of booking any cruise based on my past cruise experience or what I hope it will be in the future.  I will only consider booking a cruise once I know exactly what I am buying.

Agree that we need to know before final payment.  We had friends on a European cruise this year and it was masks on board, with a very limited number of cabins and ship excursions only.   By choosing unusual excursions they had small groups, in a very controlled safe environment.  For them it was worth it,  a different experience for sure for very independent travellers.   

So hard to know for any of us,  especially the cruise lines who need to make it work.  Sadly, I think independent tours will be limited for awhile.

• Thanks 1

We are scheduled for a 22 day cruise in January 2022 - if we are restricted to Hal's tours we will absolutely cancel our cruise.  We know that some people like the excursions but we like to explore on our own and if we want to go a long distance we rent a car or hire a driver and go with a very small group. Every tour I looked at on our cruise includes 'shopping' and a stop for lunch neither of which ever hold any appeal to us. While we do understand the necessity to be cautious if there are these restrictions we will content ourselves with other forms of travel.    

• Like 4

Left out or barely mentioned. HAL will have to make a decision on whether or not a vaccination is required.

That will make a BIG difference. I hope they are required . (I did a Norovirus TA and hated all the hacking and coughing.)

Number 2a, destination ports. Where are you cruising ? If Canada lets us into Vancouver, Alaska will welcome us.

2b, who knows about Europe, we don't even know about Florida.

We have an Alaska cruise for September as a test drive for Antarctica in December.

I am not worried about the cruise, I worry about the airport.

1 hour ago, aa7yy said:

Left out or barely mentioned. HAL will have to make a decision on whether or not a vaccination is required.

I certainly mentioned it in post #28.  It might not be required IF cruises go in the first few months but I think once summer comes it WILL be a requirement.  I hope so.

1 hour ago, aa7yy said:

Number 2a, destination ports. Where are you cruising ? If Canada lets us into Vancouver, Alaska will welcome us.

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume either.  Unless the pandemic is under control people are not going to be welcome.  I imagine Alaska is going to have concerns after seeing what happened to Nanavut (our NW territory) who had been safe for so long.  We will have to wait and see.  The vaccine distribution and willingness to take it is the key IMO.

1 hour ago, aa7yy said:

I have a feeling that you will need a vaccine down the road to fly internationally.  At least, I sure hope so.

• Like 1

I can see it now.  HAL (and other lines) will offer a walking excursion to the nearest Diamonds International for only $49.99 per person.  And the cruise line would likely negotiate a cut of all jewelry sales.  Tis the future?  Not in my world.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I can see it now.  HAL (and other lines) will offer a walking excursion to the nearest Diamonds International for only $49.99 per person.  And the cruise line would likely negotiate a cut of all jewelry sales.  Tis the future?  Not in my world.

Hank

Too funny...and a small group version for $79.99 😜

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

And the really sad thing is that they will probably fill up every slot for this excursion.😒

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aa7yy said:

That will make a BIG difference. I hope they are required . (I did a Norovirus TA and hated all the hacking and coughing.)

2b, who knows about Europe, we don't even know about Florida.

We have an Alaska cruise for September as a test drive for Antarctica in December.

I don’t think the restart can be successful with out requiring vaccinations.  Otherwise one case on board everyone goes into quarantine and the cruise is over.  With required vaccinations, one case means you isolate that case and life goes on, big difference.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I remember a post from you a while back....you and your wife were sitting in Paris or Rome at a cafe, enjoying the day, when a tour group passed by saying "and this is a nice place to linger with a coffee or wine...." 

It just struck me as both funny and also insightful. Some "do" and others just observe.

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I remember a post from you a while back....you and your wife were sitting in Paris or Rome at a cafe, enjoying the day, when a tour group passed by saying "and this is a nice place to linger with a coffee or wine...." 

It just struck me as both funny and also insightful. Some "do" and others just observe.

Lol.  We will not be “do”ing any DI soon

In view of the current covid situation and the forecasted covid situation in North America over the next several months we cannot imagine any foreign port willing to allow a cruise ship full of North Americans to enter unless every passenger and cruise employee has had a covid vaccination.

Moreover....we would not be interested in any cruise line/ship or port stop/country that did not require this.

Given the current rate of vaccinations, this is not going to happen anytime soon. 

DI will have to wait for some time yet before their Caribbean business picks up!

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And the really sad thing is that they will probably fill up every slot for this excursion.😒

Are these the folks who are still sending the cruise lines their money without any assurance that their cruise will sail?  And, if not, how long will it take for them to get a refund, FCC, whatever?  

Not one dime from us!    

We have many great offers via email  lately...cruises, land, air etc. 

It has been temping but we feel certain that these offers, or others just as or even more attractive, will come back in the early days of what we hope is post covid. 

The sense of urgency with buy before this date or buy before whatever is sold out does not move us one bit to pull out our credit card.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Really surprised about the amount of handwringing over an issue that is not possible to predict.  Wait and see folks, wait and see.  Safety will have to be the first priority not your preference about excursions.  And I too seldom do ships tours.  I think the cruise companies will be in a tough spot for awhile until this is under control.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2