The Daily for Saturday Jan 2, 2021

richwmn

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Happy January 2 everyone!  I'm not sure about the special days we are celebrating today so instead I would like to send a shout-out to my DIL for the past 20 years who is having a birthday today.  I hope she enjoys that warm Florida weather.  I know my DS will make sure she has a great birthday since he always has in the past.🥳

I am appreciating all the darling cats today that @richwmn@Seasick Sailor, and @ger_77 displayed for us.  So sorry to hear of your cat's passing @65 Gator.  I also got a chuckle out of the Zoom call backdrop.  A great idea for many of us to think about.  @rafinmdnice to see so many more celebrations and shout outs added to the list.  It was fun yesterday to see all the new posters and the view count rising so fast.  This is definitely the place to be!  

Happy Birthday to your DIL! 

• Like 5

I will continue with the Seabourn Quest Antarctica cruise we were on 4 years ago.  On Jan. 2, 2017 we were on our way from Antarctica to South Georgia Island.  Very early in the morning on Jan. 2 the ship passed by Elephant Island which is where Sir Ernest Shackleton set sail in 1916 in a tiny boat with a couple of his crew members to try to get help to rescue his crew from the doomed Endurance.  The approximate time we would pass the island was announced the night before so DH got up at 3:30 and joined an Expedition Team member and some of the other passengers to get a first hand look at it.  The following photos were taken from 3:54 to 4:22 am and of course it was light out.  enhance

enhance

It looks like quite the inhospitable location to hunker down for the next few months.  We were setting off on the same journey that Shackleton did - Elephant Island to South Georgia Island.  I can't imagine trying it in a tiny boat like he did.enhance

We were trying to outrun some storms heading our way and on Jan. 2 it wasn't that bad outside.  That would change before long though as the lows caught up with us.  In the meantime today was spent attending lectures.  Tomorrow we will have our clothes "inspected" prior to arrival in South Georgia Island.  With very little else to show you on Jan. 2, I decided to show you what a standard balcony suite on Seabourn Quest looks like.  They are extremely comfortable with a seating area, a table and two tub chairs, a bar area, a walk in closet, and a luxurious bath made completely of marble with double sinks, a full tub, a shower and lots of storage.  My only quibble was the sofa was rather hard.  A little softness would have been appreciated.  enhance

enhance

The bed is ready for luggage to arrive.  Last year on Princess we noted they no longer provided us with the vinyl luggage protectors to place on the duvet, which I think is a big mistake.  We used pool towels to protect the duvet instead on Princess.enhance

enhance

enhance

The shower including glass door is hidden on the right hand side of the photo.enhance

They even had this small built in console table with drawer, mirror and small bench seat located in the "foyer" that you could use as a makeup vanity.  Our stewardess's name was Michelle.  All the room stewards were female on Seabourn and they did an outstanding job.  If you finished a bottle of champagne or wine from your 'fridge you wouldn't even have to ask for a replacement - she would see the bottle in the wastebasket and replace it immediately.  The service on Seabourn was outstanding!  We have only sailed on Seabourn twice, both times on Quest, and would love to sail them more often.  Perhaps if we win the lottery.😉enhance

• Like 24

4 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

Happy Mew Day from Mya & Hannah.  They are both 9 years old and we adopted them from the SPCA.  Mya in 2014 and Hannah in 2016.  As you can see they are buddies.

Mya

001.thumb.JPG.082a9423f8f1f0ad39b592521c5d4917.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

And very comfortable posing for the camera! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It looks like quite the inhospitable location to hunker down for the next few months.  We were setting off on the same journey that Shackleton did - Elephant Island to South Georgia Island.  I can't imagine trying it in a tiny boat like he did.enhance

We were trying to outrun some storms heading our way and on Jan. 2 it wasn't that bad outside.  That would change before long though as the lows caught up with us.  In the meantime today was spent attending lectures.  Tomorrow we will have our clothes "inspected" prior to arrival in South Georgia Island. 

Thank you for these great photos! Imagine that island being your haven!

What are they looking for when they “inspect” your clothing?

• Like 5

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Fruitcake Toss Day - I make Hutzelbrot, a German Christmas fruit and nut bread that's delicious, so no tossing here!

Milk and Honey sounds interesting, but no alcohol right now due to current meds.

Dinner will be leftover kielbasa and sauerkraut.

Prayers for those in need and a shoutout for those celebrating.

Vanessa

• Like 15

As a little treat for those who know him (Jacqui) I am going to share a photo taken earlier in the Antarctica cruise of a dinner we attended one evening.  The Captain, whose name shall not be mentioned, spoke to us in the hallways during the "meet your neighbor" party.  He knew us from our summer of 2016 Norway spectacular cruise on the Prinsendam as I like to call it.  Our Captain on the Quest sometimes subbed on the Prinsendam during Captain vacation time.  He truly loved the Prinsendam!  We had talked about him being on the Quest for our Christmas-New Year's cruise and he said he would see us there!  

Anyway, when he met up with us in the hallway, I told him I had a photo book that I had made of that spectacular cruise and would he like to sign it?  After all, he played a big part in all the unique features of that cruise and was mentioned heavily in the book.  He said of course!  Meet me and another couple I met from Norway in the bar at 6:45 for a drink and then we will all five go to dinner.  Sounded good to us!  We met and chatted while he signed the cover page of my book, then headed to the dining room for dinner.  The couple from Norway were so nice and were excited to hear about the spectacular Norway cruise we had all enjoyed so much.  To commemorate our dinner our waiter took our photo.  enhance

We actually ran into this couple on a HAL tender boat not that long ago.  She recognized us and we had a nice little chat.  More fond cruising memories to sustain us during these trying times. 

• Like 23

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for these great photos! Imagine that island being your haven!

What are they looking for when they “inspect” your clothing?

After leaving Antarctica, they thoroughly examine anything you plan to wear on shore in South Georgia Island so that you don't introduce any foreign matter, like seeds, to their environment from Antarctica  Any speck has to be removed.  They even check the boots which are kept outside in a covered environment in metal cages with your cabin number on it.  Sort of like a dog crate.  Those are power washed off for us a couple times during the cruise.  Most of us had rented the boots from a company that does that sort of thing for Antarctica cruises.  So you take your parkas, scarfs, hats, gloves, waterproof pants, everything and they examine them.  Technically they even have to examine any backpacks or camera cases, too. Then your name is checked off a list.  There are very strict rules from the ITTAO.  enhance

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Welcome home and thank you for the daily, Rich.  No tossing fruit cakes for me, they'll be fully consumed.  It's been a tough 9 months for buffets.  I'll bet your cats are mewing quite happily with you back.  I like both the quote and the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Anjou Pear Soup, Parmesan Crusted Turkey Tenderloin and Tiramisu as se  rved on MS Ryndam January 2, 2015. 

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Recovery for Live4Cruises

St. Louis Sal’s and Cruising-along’s friends

mamaofami’s SIL

HAL (and other crews)

California Hospitals

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional posters including wandb, BobbiSox, llbz327, GeorgesGal, sailingdutchy, Mtn2Sea, Red Haired Lady, Cruisepucks, luvteachibg, and ernieb
Welcome aboard doobieb, surfcitygirl, jodi58, Clippy-Joe, Cruisin Two, Suslor, bakcd, zigdelcru, Lady Hudson, and Sir PMP

Welcome to the Daily and to Cruise Critic posting Aibergebleu

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Customers of a Tim Hortons in Vaughan, Ontario (Thanks @bdrcole)

Host Kat

My brother getting a new pain prescription that allows him to walk more

Happy Birthday Sam (mamaofami’s DH)

Welcome Home, Rich

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it) 

I have a very busy early morning but will be back later today.          

Roy

Roy

With the sail of four ships and a few Masters of Vessels going back to Staff Captain, I think Sabine promotion to Master might be a little more in the distance than was thought previously

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I decided to show you what a standard balcony suite on Seabourn Quest looks like.  They are extremely comfortable with a seating area, a table and two tub chairs, a bar area, a walk in closet, and a luxurious bath made completely of marble with double sinks, a full tub, a shower and lots of storage. 

Thanks for sharing your pics and impressions of the room.  It looks very nice.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Wake up sleepyheads!  Hopefully everyone is off to a good start to the new year.

Toss the fruit cake works for me.  I have tried to like it and failed. Buffets may need a little love as they have been put on hold in most cases since March.

Do not toss the Fruitcake!   I lov it.  Throw it my way!  My favorite are made by the Trapist Monks of Kentuckey.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for sharing your pics and impressions of the room.  It looks very nice.

Seabourn is our only splurge on cabins when we sail.  There's really no choice of an inside on their ships and from what I hear the Oceanview cabins are of a similar size plus they have only a few Oceanview cabins.  We never move above a balcony on the other cruise lines.  I know you and Jose have had some gorgeous cabins in your cruising history.   It would be nice to see some photos of the Neptunes, Pinnacles, and even Signature suites on Holland.   How about it?  Anyone?

Edited to say:  Seabourn must know I'm talking about them.  No sooner than I posted this Seabourn sent me an email selling me some cruises.  Right now, all I can do is dream!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Seabourn is our only splurge on cabins when we sail.  There's really no choice of an inside on their ships and from what I hear the Oceanview cabins are of a similar size plus they have only a few Oceanview cabins.  We never move above a balcony on the other cruise lines.  I know you and Jose have had some gorgeous cabins in your cruising history.   It would be nice to see some photos of the Neptunes, Pinnacles, and even Signature suites on Holland.   How about it?  Anyone?

Sure, I can help with that.

My pics are on halfacts.com. Since they are my pics, I don’t think I would be breaking rules if I post them here.  I wouldn’t post anyone else’s pics though as they belong to halfacts.

actually, it might be easier to do some links where there are lots of pics.  Hang on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers  here is the link to my pics from the Pinnacle Suite on the Prinsendam.  https://halfacts.com/008-prinsendam-ps/

It was the smallest PS in the fleet but it’s so well laid out, you can put a lot of people in the room 😉 

Here is the link to one of my Neptune Suites on the Prinsendam - https://halfacts.com/006-prinsendam/

And here is the link to my pics of the Signature Suite on that ship - https://halfacts.com/suite-054-ms/

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

@StLouisCruisers  here is the link to my pics from the Pinnacle Suite on the Prinsendam.  https://halfacts.com/008-prinsendam-ps/

It was the smallest PS in the fleet but it’s so well laid out, you can put a lot of people in the room 😉 

Here is the link to one of my Neptune Suites on the Prinsendam - https://halfacts.com/006-prinsendam/

And here is the link to my pics of the Signature Suite on that ship - https://halfacts.com/suite-054-ms/

Thank you!  I'm going to check these out right now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you!  I'm going to check these out right now.  

You are most welcome.  I’m going to my old Ipad to see if I can find some of the Vista class pics.

• Like 3

Good morning everyone. I woke this am to the sound of my son laughing on the patio. He came from Philly, masked, to bring Sam his birthday present.

we’re a dog family.  Ever had a cat , but my grandson has one he loves. It’s not his first.

Its nice enough today for us to see some of our friends outside for a quick masked, socially distant hello in one of the gazebos at our condo. Then we have a big family zoom planned. Our daughter, who lives nearby, is planning to decorate with balloons while we’re out. Hoping it will be a fun birthday for Sam.

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 15