The Daily for Saturday Jan 2, 2021

richwmn

45 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!   Saving some fruitcake for posterity!  Never had a cat,  my mother disliked them and DH is allergic,  so just dogs,😄

@StLouisCruisers that balcony looks nicer than a signature suite!  Gorgeous!  We’ve been lucky once to have a Neptune wrap, and it was wonderful in the Med, shade or sun,  watching the Pleiades meteor shower as we sailed in the Aegean eating a beautifully served dinner.  Sigh,  kind of spoils you!  Room for a lovely cocktail party,  and big enough to host inside when it was too warm out.  Mostly we just have balconies with a Signature a couple of times.  But maybe we will try one of the luxury lines in the future!  

Enjoy your day! 

Yes, those cabins on Seabourn are quite comfortable and so much storage!  I could live in that suite easily.  

As for maybe trying a luxury line, DH often repeats the old line "you can't take it with you".  Then when I suggest one of those very, very expensive cruises he says "Wait.  How much??"

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Amsterdam in Shanghai, PRC, a briefing for some of the crew by the security officer in the A-Deck crew mess, some night time bridge shots - yes that is the "mini' steering wheel when the ship is on hand steering, and all the stowaways in the security officer's cabin, on restriction away from the porthole due to missing a mandatory drill. The stowaways are from (left to right) Canada, the UK, the PRC, Hawaii, New Zealand and Greece

007.JPG

021.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

071.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I used to have the same message on my mat. 😉 

That’s how my house of 2 cats grew to 3 when Jose and I got together.  He had the most badly behaved cat I’ve ever seen.  Vicious and spoiled.  I actually feared for my eyes and life when I was brining him back to my house from Jose’s for the move in.

Lucky for me, Jose was going to Mexico to visit his father and I had the 3 cats to myself for nearly 2 weeks.  By the time Jose got back, his cat was eating real cat food.  Was much better behaved and no longer swiping at people or my cats.  He turned into a lovely cat and well mannered (well, as well mannered as any cat can be 😉 ).

@kazubravo on your cat training abilities.  I hope Jose appreciated your work and how much nicer his kittie was after he returned home.  I don't think I could live with a vicious cat!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@kazubravo on your cat training abilities.  I hope Jose appreciated your work and how much nicer his kittie was after he returned home.  I don't think I could live with a vicious cat!

Thanks.  Jose was in shock when he got home 😉 

I know cats have their own ways but I wouldn’t tolerate a vicious one either.  Just goes to prove you can teach an old dog / cat new tricks.  The change was phenomenal and he became a favourite with friends.  

We probably adopted our stray/dropped off/discarded kitten because it looked so much like him when he passed.  Anyone with any brains with 4 cats would have taken the stray to the SPCA.  Nope, we kept it.  No brains in this house when it comes to animals 😉 

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Suslor said:

DH and I always book a Neptune suite. We got an upgrade once from a Signature suite and as they say “Once you’ve gone Neptune you never go back “! I’ll look for some pictures from our travels to share. I agree, those curtains around the bed in the Prisendam’s Neptune suite were great. Also enjoyed the fact that you could close the door between the WC and tub room which gave you a powder room when you had guests. 

The high cost of a free upgrade or low-cost up-sell.  Many of us have succumbed to the great Siren Neptune.  😀

Which brings to mind a favorite quote attributed to Churchill.

”I always manage somehow to adjust to any new level of luxury without whimper or complaint.  It is one of my more winning traits.”

• Like 16

Well, I FINALLY finished reading yesterday's thread, and we're already on page 4 today! Thanks Rich for the thread, and Roy for the lists! So nice to see some of the lurkers returning today to add to the post!

I love fruitcake. My sister made some this year and porch dropped some off to us. It tastes just like my mom's! I'm the only one in the house that eats it (and that in moderation), so it will last until summer, I'm sure. My kitty is missing in action at the moment-she's hiding in embarassment after falling off the couch. Buffet-otherwise know as Smorgasboard night or Fridge Cleanout- is what we'll have for supper.

Great quote. I need some inventors to come and take some of my junk away!

5 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning to everyone.  This is becoming quite the popular thread! Thank You to all and especially Rich for starting it. I dont think I have ever met any of you but I feel like we are all friends!

Off to the library this morning to take down the tree. Always fun to put up, not so much to take down!

My tree is coming down next week. Probably January 7th or 8th, after Epiphany. Gotta get those wisemen to the scene.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

OK, cat pics 😉 Stiv asleep which, at ten years of age, he does a lot. He had a medical procedure done so part of his right front leg had been shaved for the IV

Stiv 2018.jpg

I hope Stiv is okay and recouperating quickly!

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

I used to have the same message on my mat. 😉 

That’s how my house of 2 cats grew to 3 when Jose and I got together.  He had the most badly behaved cat I’ve ever seen.  Vicious and spoiled.  I actually feared for my eyes and life when I was brining him back to my house from Jose’s for the move in.

Lucky for me, Jose was going to Mexico to visit his father and I had the 3 cats to myself for nearly 2 weeks.  By the time Jose got back, his cat was eating real cat food.  Was much better behaved and no longer swiping at people or my cats.  He turned into a lovely cat and well mannered (well, as well mannered as any cat can be 😉 ).

My sister had a cat that I looked after one time. He attacked me and my own cat saved me. Having a cat fight in the living room of an apartment was not fun! BUT, as he aged, he was a wonderful cat, and so gentle. I guess he was just mad that he'd been dropped off to live with me-and my cat- for a week.

It's a beautiful day in southwestern Ontario. Sunny and 3ºC. With luck, the snow on the driveway will melt and it will be bare again.

....And I stopped to take a call, and another 20+ replies have come along! So happy to hear from all the people on the thread! I better post quick!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

• Like 16

Good afternoon, everyone.  It has been a lazy, slow start to the day here for me.  I was up way too late last night watching the Ohio State/Clemson game.   Tom pronounced my chicken wings as the best he's ever had, so all was a success.  

If it is true that what we do on New Year's Day is what we'll be doing all year, I can expect many great meals and sparkling clean bathrooms.  

I'm not really a cat person and have never had any as a pet.   My sister had two, Felix and Oscar, who were mean.  Or, they liked to pretend they were.  They would sit at the top of the stairs and hiss and bare their teeth at anyone coming up.  I just hissed back at them and they would run and hide under the bed.   But, my sister and her husband came home from an evening out one time and found the two boys still up with the babysitter in the living room.  The cats had really spooked the sitter who refused to go upstairs to put the boys to bed.  The cats were soon gone to a better home.  

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

To continue my travelogue from yesterday -

On January 2nd last year, the Maasdam arrived at Portland, Australia.  I had arranged a tour for 8 people in a van with a local tour operator.  The goal was to see the Twelve Apostles.  After arriving we were told that sometimes they close the parking lot when it is too busy and we might not get in after a long drive.  But we risked it and had no problem.  The trip also included stops at Loch Ard Gorge, London Bridge and the Bay of Islands.  The driver told us an interesting story about hikers 30 years ago who were trapped on the bridge after it collapsed.  Rescued by helicopter.

Today I have been thinking about the man who was our guide that day.  He had just bought out the small tour bus company after having a career in tours elsewhere.  I wonder how he is surviving now since Covid and no income.  

20200102_110958.thumb.jpg.c7b550a260aaea2717afaf563de13bcf.jpg

Twelve Apostles (don't try to count - a lot of them fell down!)

20200102_114352.thumb.jpg.fd60de66b4f8f859129db4f6ecd7d5ac.jpg

Loch Ard Gorge

20200102_124405.thumb.jpg.f79a138d8f20c5bb026d182b04cfd55b.jpg

London Bridge (it fell down,too) in Port Campbell Nat'l Park

20200102_131032.thumb.jpg.0f337197e214edd28ae8e97a603e065b.jpg

Bay of Islands Coastal Park

• Like 23

We were on a 3 week Viking ship Nov 2018. The Christmas decor and areas around the ship were beautiful. No kids under 18 allowed, so lots of artifacts were out on tables and shelves. Dinners outside on aft deck were varied every night.

When we were on an excursion in Cuba we were on an extremely hot bus for hours. We drank lots of water and couldn't wait to get off the bus! That night we had gotten ready for dinner and Allen couldn't walk. Ship's doctor said Allen suffered a heat stroke. We finally decided to get off the ship in Costa Rica to the hospital. Spent 4 days til doctor released us to fly home..

1123180633a.jpg

1129180813.jpg

1126180939.jpg

1124181747.jpg

1126181807.jpg

1203181302.jpg

1129181746.jpg

• Like 16

I am not a fan of  buffets so not missing them now. I no longer make fruitcake as dh is not keen on it so won't be throwing one out. Love ravioli but now that the holidays are over it is time to get back to our regular dinners which mostly include fish and lots of veggies and some vegetarian dinners. 

A big shout out to the customers at the Tim's just up the street from me for supporting the employee in his education. I no longer drink coffee so don't frequent that location but it is always busy and even prior to covid 19, always has a long line for the drive thru.

Like @Marmot@Sea we'll be watching the World Juniors later today (hockey for those not familiar with the yearly post Christmas tournament)

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Red Haired Ladythank you for the great pictures in Australia.  I always enjoy my cruises down under and hope to go back again someday.  I just HATE that long flight!  Maybe I can find a cruise that begins with a cruise ship to Australia so I don't have to fly.

This was my first trip to Australia and I had avoided it just for that reason....the long flight.  So I didn't do a long flight....at least not all at once.  I stayed overnight in HNL both going and coming.  Just a hotel near the airport with a free shuttle, but it made all the difference. I live 3 hours from the nearest major airport, so still a long day.  I booked the Oosterdam for November 2021 and plan to do the same then.  It is the cruise that circles the continent. 

I am certainly enjoying your picures, too.  I did the South America cruise, but it did not go to Antarctica (not even a drive by)  and now I am regretting it.  

• Like 9

Last one for today, I promise - Amsterdam in Nouméa, New Caledonia, France d'Outre Mer (a French overseas territory); two of Amsterdam's hardworking "boatmen" (officially life saving attendants) waiting for Monsieur le pilote to come onboard after having opened the break door and rigged, made ready, and tested, the pilot (Jacob's) ladder in the ship's marshaling area; a breakfast for champions outside in the Lido morning sun for the SECO while monitoring Ch. 69 and while the ship is more than half empty of pax, and that same pilot departing upon the ship leaving port and headed for l'Ile des Pins, also in French Caledonia. The departing pilot requested "man ropes" in addition to the pilot ladder. That's what he is hanging on to as he steps on the ladder. I had an opportunity to climb that pilot ladder once on Zuiderdam, wearing a Santa suit, a good time was had by all 😉 

002.JPG

017.JPG

7049.JPG

7050.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 14

@Red Haired LadyI have done the cruise that circles Australia.  They call it a circumnavigation.  You get to see so much more than the usual Sydney or Melbourne stops on lots of cruises.  It was great and I would do that again.  Perhaps they might even add a few different ports which would be nice.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, highscar said:

Help. My cruisewear is crying “let me out of the closet” 

We store many of our cruise wear pieces (dresses, suit, nice tops for dinner, etc) in one of guest room closets.  That is where the 2 large suitcases are placed when we pack so it saves a lot of time running back and forth from the master bedroom closet.  I also have a printer inside the closet so whenever I go to the closet to retrieve a new copy of something I see all our clothes hanging there waiting for us to go somewhere!  We've never gone this long without a cruise in the past decade.  😷

• Like 12

Good Afternoon Dailyites! So late to this very large party. First, I had to catch up on yesterday (wow!). And then work through today's 5 pages (so far). As so many have already stated, this is such a wonderful place to drop by each day.

We don't have a 'traditional' New Year's meal. However, DH may have started one yesterday when he ordered and picked up Thai food for last night's repast! The leftovers morphed into the newly-created CanAmNihonThai-style Mussaman Curry Ramen for lunch.

The Happy Mew Year photos are outstanding. We don't have fur babies now. We were servants to our cute little feline for years. However, after I had to take her to the vet for the Last Time, I knew I couldn't go through that again. And we were traveling just enough that it wouldn't be fair to welcome any fur baby to the family. @65 Gator We are sad to read that your cat is gone. Even though we've never had a dog, most of our friends do and we thoroughly enjoy the photos and stories of all pets.

@StLouis Cruiser  All your Antarctica and Seabourn photos are wonderful. It has reminded me that when I run some errands later to buy a lotto ticket -- that is our only hope of sailing on Seabourn, LOL!

@Live4cruises  I retired in 2007 after a similar episode in late December 2006. I had hoped to work a few more years, but this made me realize that if I continued in such a toxic environment, there may not be a few more years. In my case, Best Decision Ever. It certainly helped that I had the complete support of DH (who continued paart-time work). BTW, I have yet to find a retiree who is bored, LOL!

@kazu  Loved the snow photo. The Ottawa Citizen today had a photo about the current snow emergency (parking) which I showed to DH. He is beginning to understand why I snicker when they get the plows out here in Virginia (i.e., a blade on a pick up truck).

Our not-so-gourmet food today will include popcorn, beer, pizza. Because that's what you eat at hockey games. The World Juniors Quarterfinals are on. The Russia-Germany match was a nail-biter, with Russia prevailing. Two excellent teams. Sweden-Finland shortly. Then I get out my Team Canada hockey shirt in preparation for The Game. Canada-Czech Republic. Go Canada!!!! 🇨🇦🇨🇦 (it's a case of you can take the ol' gal out of Canada, but you can't take Canada out of the ol' gal!)

Thank you all dear Dailyites! And that includes all lurkers. This is such a wonderful respite from the cultural storms around us.

Stay safe everyone. And please wear a mask.

-Cat

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Sunrise today will be from a trip I haven't included before.  The main cruise was on the Crystal Symphony Buenos Aires-Antarctica-Miami but I didn't want to fly out of Baltimore on a tight winter schedule.  Instead I took QM2 to Southampton January 3 and then Queen Victoria to Ft. Lauderdale flying from Miami to meet the Symphony.  I was happy with the situation as Baltimore got 2 feet of snow the day I would have flown and Miami airport ticket areas were filled with people trying to recover from cancelled flights.  On January 2 I was in a hotel in Brooklyn and watched the sunrise from Fort Green Park"

dawn0102.jpg

The sunrise was not that great but the reflection back from the skyline and the Freedom Tower was great as well:

freedom.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Last one for today, I promise - Amsterdam in Nouméa, New Caledonia, France d'Outre Mer (a French overseas territory); two of Amsterdam's hardworking "boatmen" (officially life saving attendants) waiting for Monsieur le pilote to come onboard after having opened the break door and rigged, made ready, and tested, the pilot (Jacob's) ladder in the ship's marshaling area; a breakfast for champions outside in the Lido morning sun for the SECO while monitoring Ch. 69 and while the ship is more than half empty of pax, and that same pilot departing upon the ship leaving port and headed for l'Ile des Pins, also in French Caledonia. The departing pilot requested "man ropes" in addition to the pilot ladder. That's what he is hanging on to as he steps on the ladder. I had an opportunity to climb that pilot ladder once on Zuiderdam, wearing a Santa suit, a good time was had by all 😉 

I appreciate these posts, John. But don’t want you to start looking at it as a “to do”. You know like, “It’s time to make the donuts” kind of thing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I appreciate these posts, John. But don’t want you to start looking at it as a “to do”. You know like, “It’s time to make the donuts” kind of thing.

You know I'm a former cop and you mention donuts??...............................🤣

Cops & Donuts Art Print Personalized Police Coffee Shop Wall Decor Officer  Gift | eBay

These Cops Are Owning up to the Donut Stereotype

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 8
  • Haha 10